The politics and the policy

The politics and the policy

There are 5 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Sep 10, 2009, titled The politics and the policy. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

The politics : By the time you read this, we'll know the features of health care reforms PresidentObama feels are worth going to the mat for.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

Elmer Fudd

Hampton, NH

#1 Sep 11, 2009
Kevin, just curious, where do you work? Does it have anything to do with the health care industry? Don't you think you should identify yourself?

Are you the Kevin McDonald associated with SVMC? Will the government run health care system be as solvent as SVMC? How many trillion in deficits will it have?

Just wondering.
Old Crafter

West Dover, VT

#2 Sep 11, 2009
I think everyone is in agreement there needs to be reforms in our health insurance system.

First, allow people in Vermont to go to North carolina for their policy if they wish, not just Blue Shield and MVP. Open up REAL competition between companies.

Drop the "pre existing condition" baloney.

Tighten up the patent laws that prevent drug companied fron producing generic grugs.

GET TORT REFORM!!! That's one of the major reasons health care is so expensive. Needless tests that the doctors KNOW aren't necessary, but they must do them anyway because the lawyers will pounce on it if they don't.
Some medical fields (OB/GYN) pay as much as $250,000 a year in malpractice insurance and they MUST pass that cost along to the consumer.

Standardize all procedure costs. Not one cost for the insurance company and another cost for the self payer. Setting a broken arm is X dollars. Period.
Same with prescriptions. Rite Aid charged me full boat retail for my wife's medications and the insurance company MUCH less for the same thing.

Standardize all insurance forms. Have ONE national form the physician fills out for a broken arm, not 250 different ones for each insurance company. Many doctors have a staff that does nothing but fill out those myriads of forms.

Do we really need one central insurance company with the efficiency of the Post Office and the compassion of the IRS?
Crazy Bernie

Vienna, VA

#3 Sep 11, 2009
Hey 1-3 are good as long as the government unties the hands of the insurance companies and lets them really compete, including buying across state lines.

4 is naive (gov't has no accountability and can lose trillions and keep borrowing to fund the deficits - it is not a fair competitor....)

5 is already in place with AMA and other groups. Turning control over to the government would lead to bureaucrats making life and death decisions.....which of course is something the liberals who know better think they should be able to do anyway.
Old Crafter

West Dover, VT

#4 Sep 14, 2009
"...5 is already in place with AMA and other groups...."

Did you know only 20% of doctors belong to the AMA? The others want nothing to do with the group as it has become political and doesn't reflect the views of the majority of doctors.
Crazy Bernie

Vienna, VA

#5 Sep 14, 2009
I don't know anything about the AMA, I was just trying to point out that there is plenty of research out there and the last thing we need is the government (Rham's brother especially) doing or interpreting any of that research.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Clintons Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clinton defenders advance an unpersuasive argument May '15 kuda 3
News SNL skit provides checklist on President Obama'... (Oct '09) Oct '09 Bayview 1
News is Obama an American? (Jul '09) Sep '09 spqr 32
News Keeping a watch on who comes and goes at the Wh... (Sep '09) Sep '09 Dirty Old Man 1
News Letters: Shouting matches offer no alternatives (Aug '09) Aug '09 OHNOONHO 20
News Ted Danson denies hea s hosting Chelsea Clinton... (Aug '09) Aug '09 jeezus 1
News Is Health Care Reform Obama's Waterloo? (Jul '09) Jul '09 obamafu 1
More from around the web