Irish-Mexican history inspires unusua...

Irish-Mexican history inspires unusual project | The Columbus D...

There are 12 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 25, 2010, titled Irish-Mexican history inspires unusual project | The Columbus D.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The Irish band the Chieftains and the Columbus Symphony will take listeners on a musical tour Saturday to tell the tale of an obscure battle in old Mexico.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Padraigte

United States

#1 Feb 25, 2010
Although the Irish soldiers endured ant-Catholic prejudice and brutal discipline under American officers they were not draftees,they were volunteers.There is a monument to them in Clifden,Co.Galway.There was also a recent Hollywood film and a novel written about them.They were not American citizens and should have been treated as Mexican P.O.W,s but except for their leader Sean O'Reilly,they were cruelly hanged.O'Relly was branded on both cheaks with "D"'s for deserting.This sounds like a great albumn.
seamus

Fort Myers, FL

#2 Feb 25, 2010
The song( ballad) San Patricios was performed by the Fenians almost 10 years ago. The Fenians were a mix of Californians and tranplanted traditinal Irish folk singers .The song San Patricios is an integral part of their albumn "Band of Rogues". This albumn is as good as anything you'll ever hear, with several songs taken from the ethnic Irish labor movement. The Chieftains ,as much as I love them, are late comers to this story occurring in Mexico in 1848.
jonathan

United States

#3 Feb 26, 2010
So, I guess it's popular to celebrate a group of folks who not only deserted their posts, but actively fought alongside the enemy, and killed American soldiers?
Jen

Columbus, OH

#4 Mar 1, 2010
Los Tigres Del Norte are not a mariachi band. They are norteņo (a music style from "the north"). Maybe a minor detail, but a big difference in music styles... and, well, this article IS about music.
Macktrapper

Newark, OH

#5 Mar 1, 2010
I'm Irish and I certainly can't put them up on a pedestal for their actions.
Parasite Government

Nashport, OH

#7 Mar 2, 2010
I love the Irish and I greatly respect all they endured to reach success in this country, but this group of guys were traitors. Most Irish Catholics sucked it up, and when necessary, formed self defense groups (Hibernians anyone?), and took care of each other in an appropriate manner. They did not take up with the enemy.

They should have immigrated to Mexico, not the United States.
Yaw

Ireland

#8 Sep 21, 2011
So how are things in mexico now?
the_mex

San Diego, CA

#9 Sep 21, 2011
This is history the Irish man that decided to join the Mexican army did it on religious belief and since they were immigrants and not US citizens they were not traitors. And for the Irish that can't put them on a pedestal I wonder, what part of Ireland are you from? Are you really from Ireland or are you like many of the European American that consider themselves Irish! Irish American, Mexican American are not Irish or Mexicans but only descendant from that country.
Fred Zapplin

Mount Laurel, NJ

#10 Sep 21, 2011
Imagine if this story were the other way around and a group of immigrants came from Mexico to side with the United States. If this was celebrated in the United States and some musical group glorified it, it would be considered incendiary and insulting to Mexico.
Wild Man

Scottsdale, AZ

#11 Sep 22, 2011
jonathan wrote:
So, I guess it's popular to celebrate a group of folks who not only deserted their posts, but actively fought alongside the enemy, and killed American soldiers?
The Irish were treated like subhumans by the country they adopted which was the United States, scorned because they were Catholics, treated worse than we treated the Indians, no wonder they decided to stay in Mexico a Catholic country who was invaded and robbed by the US of its land!
allymac

Redruth, UK

#12 Sep 22, 2011
Wild Man.......wild ideas.....no clue.
Donker

Shanghai, China

#13 Nov 19, 2011
Wild Man wrote:
<quoted text>
The Irish were treated like subhumans by the country they adopted which was the United States, scorned because they were Catholics, treated worse than we treated the Indians, no wonder they decided to stay in Mexico a Catholic country who was invaded and robbed by the US of its land!
Surely you exagerate, there was some pregudice against the Irish due to a lot of them being Catholics and being the first wave of non-Protestant immigrants but to say "subhuman" come on old boy. Look at how badly the Italians were treated (often by the Irish) Italians were paid less than the Irish and other whites. They suffered more than the Irish because not only were they Catholics but had dark skin as well. Read up on your Italian immigrant history and you will learn that they suffered horribly. The police were vicious towards them and many of the police were Irish or of Irish dessent. Older African Americans I am friends with often told me about how Irish areas of New York were by far the most dangerious areas for a black person to venture into. Don't even start me on the truly horrible treatment that the Chinese immigrant recieved, they had a much worse time than the Irish and the Italians. German immigrants in the latter part of the 19th century were frequently burned out of their houses. I could go on all bloody day but I am off to the gym. Advice to you Wild Man, don't be so inward looking, research other races experiences and lose the victim complex, it doesn't suit you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Chieftains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News US vice-president Joe Biden at Castlebar Golf C... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Nu Wor Order 10
News Top holiday CD reviews for 2013 (Jul '14) Jul '14 Colombia 1
News Trace Adkins to release Celtic Christmas album (Sep '13) Sep '13 marenda 1
News Linda Ronstadt (Jul '12) Aug '12 A damn Smith 4
News North America this Weekend Clocks spring forwar... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Fred 2
News Celtic blaze brings Irish musical fire to Owens... (Mar '11) Mar '11 UNESCO Biosphere ... 1
News Astronaut has 4 flutes in orbit (Feb '11) Feb '11 Stoirm Warning 9
More from around the web