The Cardigans vs religion.

The Cardigans vs religion.

There are 1 comment on the MetaChat story from Aug 13, 2006, titled The Cardigans vs religion.. In it, MetaChat reports that:

The Cardigans vs religion. Gaspode's link below made me finally share what has been my favorite song of the summer, even though I think it came out last year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MetaChat.

Bac

Sherman, TX

#1 Sep 10, 2006
I can fully understand why someone might interpret 'Godspell' as somehow being anti-religion. The lyrics are somewhat esoteric (in my opinion.) I even had a somewhat different take on what the song was about at one point, but this quote from Magnus Sveningsson explains that the inspiration for the song has more to do with a specific sect rather than religion in general:

"Your work filters many things; Swedish folk, literature and politics. There is a recurring theme of conflict and conquest.
Magnus: I don’t know; guess some of the moody stuff comes from folklore, Swedish or elsewhere...
...We've never flashed our political views in music though we’re all lefties/green parties. I guess "Godspell" is the first political song in our career. Nina wrote the lyrics about a big scandal within a Swedish sect-like church where the priest was fooling around a lot and then had his mistress kill his wife or something like that. Hence the "it's not murder, it's an act of faith" line at the end. But basically it's about people who willingly give up their own speech to authorities. Priests or politicians, men in power are all the same.[The Event Guide, Ireland]"
http://www.cardigans.com/...

That said. It's darn fine tune.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Cardigans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Luke Jackson's And Then Some (Dec '08) Dec '08 E_Silk 1
More from around the web