Camelback Jack

Camelback Jack

There are 31 comments on the KOOL-FM Phoenix story from Dec 18, 2008, titled Camelback Jack. In it, KOOL-FM Phoenix reports that:

Do you remember the song, Turn! Turn! Turn! ? It was written by Pete Seeger, an influential folk singer and activist.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOOL-FM Phoenix.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Marie McNeill Britt

Toronto, Canada

#1 Jan 9, 2009
Jack certainly doesn't appear to be bitter, and more power to him. I, however, cannot take the high road. Due to a heavy amount of overtime on my job over the holidays, I didn't know about what had happened until very recently. When I found it, I wrote a letter in the online Business Journal but it was very recent and apparently no one else is still writing there, nor responding. There, I told of a dear friend, Johnny Nelson, who was also a DJ in the Phoenix market for 46 years, and was also unceremoniously dismissed after 18 years with KJZZ. This was 10 years ago and I haven't listened to that statiaon since. Hard economic times or not, a conglomerate as large as CBS should be able to keep its good people. I'm not bitter either, but I am exercising my right to express my opinon with action. I am now boycotting KOOL-FM. It just won't be the same without Camelback Jack.
Kathy Holtzem

AOL

#2 Jan 9, 2009
I too, am in disbelief that CBS and KOOL radio would let someone like Camelback Jack go. I have been a faithful listener for the entire time Camelback was on the air. I even listen on line when I am in Pa. all summer. He brought many of us the tough times when we worked for Qwest, and always had a way to brighten our day. KOOL's loss will be someone else's gain. We only wish for the best for you Camelback, and you surely will be missed.
Douglas Bull

Scottsdale, AZ

#3 Jan 13, 2009
I have not been listening to KOOL radio since last November when the powers to be decieded to run 24/7 Christmas music. I am not a scrooge but come on, that was a bit too early. So this monday I pushed the KOOL setting on my car radio and found that Camelback Jack wasn't on. Again on Tuesday, so today I Googled him and got the news. WOW, I have listen to Jack since I moved here in 1994. Well, I guess I will revert back to my boycott with sadness. I read his note to us and I can't help think of the kids and vets that he has touched, let alone just one old guy who still loves DJ's and rock n roll. Best to you Jack and your family.
Jean

Tempe, AZ

#4 Jan 14, 2009
I have only been listening to the DJ's on Kool radio since they fired Bill Garnder, Drew, and Dave. Now with Camelback gone their is not any reason to listen to that station, and I have been listening for 20 years. Now I hope the stations ratings go in the dumps and they can see how displeased their listeners were. The best way I boycott them is by telling everyone I know to boycott and quit listening to them. Like everyone at work, home, kids scout leaders, church, etc. Money seems to talk so tell the advertisers you don't like them advertising on Kool radio and suggest better stations to take their business to.
Valerie

Phoenix, AZ

#5 Jan 15, 2009
What else can we listen to? I love the station and HATE that he is gone. Personally I really don't like the Tom Kent show and it starts so early and Tom and Maria kind of slow down by 10am, don't you think? The music Kent plays just isn't the same as what Camelback Jack played. But what is everyone else listening to? I can't find another oldies station. A year and a half ago one of my favorite stations was taken off the air too - what the heck is up with Phoenix listeners? Not everyone jams out to Hip Hop or Country - our only choices now.
Infamous One

Surprise, AZ

#6 Jan 20, 2009
KOOL really isn't oldies anymore. There's only one oldies station in Phoenix now, on 1440 AM. It's called "Arizona Gold" KAZG. They play some stuff KOOL still plays, and stuff KOOL used to play.

Afternoons are not even close to being as great as they were with Camelback Jack. What a tremendous loss and yet another blow to the stomach for KOOL, which once was SO great!

I hope he finds these comments. If I were him, your comments would mean a lot!
Penny

Sahuarita, AZ

#7 Jan 23, 2009
[Station 1440 is a very good Oldies station. The only problem with it is it is only on from sunrise to sunset but maybe if enough listeners switch from KOOL they will stay on the air longer]QUOTE who="Valerie "]What else can we listen to? I love the station and HATE that he is gone. Personally I really don't like the Tom Kent show and it starts so early and Tom and Maria kind of slow down by 10am, don't you think? The music Kent plays just isn't the same as what Camelback Jack played. But what is everyone else listening to? I can't find another oldies station. A year and a half ago one of my favorite stations was taken off the air too - what the heck is up with Phoenix listeners? Not everyone jams out to Hip Hop or Country - our only choices now.[
Penny

Sahuarita, AZ

#8 Jan 23, 2009
Station 1440 is a very good Oldies station. The only problem with it is it is only on from sunrise to sunset but maybe if enough listeners switch from KOOL they will stay on the air longer.
Jim

Phoenix, AZ

#9 Jan 24, 2009
CBS Radio - nationwide - has just butchered the whole radio landscape. The sad part is they have such a rich tradition and history over the decades. They have just run that history into the ground with what they have done to the local radio stations, while sitting in their ivory tower in New York City. We moved here to Phoenix in 1994. The day after moving here I checked the radio stations out on my truck radio dial, found KOOL and my radio pretty much stayed on KOOL. Danny Davis was the morning DJ, Tom Peake was mid-morning and it seems Camelback had just started. It was a nice team. They got a new station manager then, it wasn't CBS owned at the time, and they let Danny go. The station manager and another guy took over the morning show and pretty much ran it into the ground then. A new guy came in to run the station...he wised up fast and the morning crew was gone, and Bill Gardner came in to run the morning snow and things started looking good again. Bill had a great show, transitioned to Tom, and then to Camelback. It was a great station once again and showed in the ratings. When CBS let Bill go...I quit listening to KOOL. Haven't listened to them since. I hated to leave it really, because I'm a veteran and Jack did a lot for veterans. I participated in the Veterans Day Parade and from there we would go to the State Veterans Home for his afternoon show that day. No matter how tired we were from the parade, we went over there. I didn't go this year, 2008, because I wanted nothing to do with KOOL. Never will again. I hope CBS sells the station to someone who actually cares about it. I listen to Bill on the computer now, on The Q, 99.3 every morning. Danny Davis is on KOY in the mornings too, 1230, and he plays a lot of the old classics and runs a really nice program. I also listen to 1440 on the way home from work. CBS has just killed the radio atmosphere for me for the most part, though.
Becky

Phoenix, AZ

#10 Jan 30, 2009
I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels the way I do about KOOL 94.5. There is really no reason to listen anymore - John Michaels is gone, Camelback Jack is gone. Tom Kent is Weird. I do like Tom Peake and I loved it when John Michaels and Tom Peake would go back and forth. They're hilarious. I'll try 1440 and see what it's like
Jerry

Benson, AZ

#11 Feb 4, 2009
While I still listen to Kool, I don't listen as much and have switched to internet radio much more.
It started a few years back when Kool got rid of Dick Bartley,then Bill Gardner.I gave up Sunday nights when Steve Goddard started playing the "B"
sides of his music collection. All of a sudden Christmas music started way early and then losing Camelback. Internet radio is great. I'm currently listening to Bill Gardner again. Too bad my car radio can't bring in the internet!
Poppa Smurf1

Scottsdale, AZ

#12 Feb 10, 2009
I just found out about Camelback Jack and my first reaction was "that sucks" or somthing like that. I have a hard time picking up Am at home so I am not sure that 1440 will work but channel 928 on Cox has great oldies. So long Kool until you get your head of the dark space and correct your mistakes. An no not just anybody can play good music.
Jim

Phoenix, AZ

#13 Feb 11, 2009
Another great internet radio station is KRBX.com , out of Topeka. I turn to that after Bill's morning show out of Vegas.
Hank

Stockton, CA

#14 Feb 15, 2009
Put Camelback on. He's the onlything you had going for you.
Hank

Stockton, CA

#15 Feb 15, 2009
We are going to miss you Camelback.
Erma

Phoenix, AZ

#16 Feb 21, 2009
I am so sorry that Cambelback Jack and Bill Gardner is no longer on KOOL FM. I've been listening to Camelback Jack since I moved to Phoenix in 1992 where my brother Joe, told me to start listening to him. I wish him and Bill Gardner the Best of Luck. I thank you both for making my morning and afternoon drives joyable and both will be very missed by me.
Tony Waggoner

United States

#17 Mar 1, 2009
I was born in 1954 and raised here in Phoenix

I stopped listening to KOOL in the mornings because Maria Knight is too damn stoopid. It must be an act , she can not really be that dumb.

The bean counters have killed KOOL-Fm radio
Camelback Jack

United States

#18 Mar 1, 2009
Wow! Someone just showed me this site and these comments. I am really taken back by all your kind words; thank you so much for your concern.

I am still pursuing employment, and as you know and can hear, radio is changing. I am also pursuing voice work, i.e. commercials, voice offers and the like.

I remain positive, encouraged and anticipating what lies ahead on this next phase of my life - it is another new adventure!

Thanks again for your comments, one and all!

Jack
[email protected]
Bobbi

Mesa, AZ

#19 Mar 1, 2009
The 24/7 Christmas music was bad enough (honestly, how many times in one day can you listen to "Have a holly jolly Christmas"), but then to get rid of Camelback Jack AND John Michaels??? The head honchos at CBS obviously never heard the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I absolutely loved listening to John Michaels in the morning. He was so witty and clever and smart, and on my drive home Camelback Jack was just perfect to listen to. Does anyone know where John Michaels is now? I just saw Jack's posting....I sure hope you find something terrific soon Jack.
Maricopa

Bellflower, CA

#20 Mar 4, 2009
Camelback Jack wrote:
Wow! Someone just showed me this site and these comments. I am really taken back by all your kind words; thank you so much for your concern.
I am still pursuing employment, and as you know and can hear, radio is changing. I am also pursuing voice work, i.e. commercials, voice offers and the like.
I remain positive, encouraged and anticipating what lies ahead on this next phase of my life - it is another new adventure!
Thanks again for your comments, one and all!
Jack
[email protected]
Afternoons just aren't the same anymore. We miss you Jack.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Byrds Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Byrds' Roger McGuinn to Be Honored by UNC f... (Feb '16) Feb '16 jim shelley 1
News Longtime Allendale music aficionado eager to ad... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News New music venue seeking 'boutique concert exper... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Arts and Culture ... 3
News Celebrity Birthdays - December 4 (Dec '08) Nov '12 bombyorck 12
News The top 10 in CDs for the week of Sept. 23, 2012 (Sep '12) Sep '12 octo 4
News VINSON: No artist can create quite like autumn (Sep '11) Nov '11 County-line-woman 2
The Byrds Complete Album Collection (Oct '11) Oct '11 Ella 1
More from around the web