Is Jay-Z greater than Elvis?

Sep 23, 2009 Full story: Creative Loafing 231

If someone were to ask you which solo artist holds the record for most number-one albums of all time, who would you say? Before you answer, make sure you understand the question a ' solo artist - not group.

Full Story
First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Craig Walston

Elmhurst, NY

#1 Sep 26, 2009
I don't know what you really mean. J-Z may have more number 1's here for album sales, but his total record sales are very low for over all sales.... He nmay have one pop culture music record; Elvis holds 15 that still haven't been broken.. Elvis will repass JZ when the yrelease Elvis next Album from Cirque in a few months..

awc

“Pepperland”

Since: Dec 06

Pepperland

#2 Sep 26, 2009
Jay-z is bigger in his own mind, but nothing more.
Larry

Skokie, IL

#3 Sep 26, 2009
I like the Gray Album. I get a warm feeling inside every day when I play it.

“Yes I'm a female”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#4 Sep 26, 2009
What the heck? lol. How does this roboblogger thing work, because this is like the most randomly pulled up article.

“Best voice ever !”

Since: Mar 09

Devil's Hole

#5 Sep 27, 2009
Who is Jay Z ??!!!!

“Best voice ever !”

Since: Mar 09

Devil's Hole

#6 Sep 27, 2009
Larry wrote:
I like the Gray Album. I get a warm feeling inside every day when I play it.
oh yeah!!the white Album is a masterpiece and i love the song "Everybody's got something to hide except me and my monkey"
Jack Zippy

United States

#7 Sep 27, 2009
zepforever wrote:
Who is Jay Z ??!!!!
He was Lazy but he made up some silly rhymes and changed his name Jay Z.Hip hop jive pop when will it ever stop?No where close to being in the same league as Led Zep.
Jack Zippy

United States

#8 Sep 27, 2009
In 20 years Jay Z won't be remembered like Elvis and I hope nobody tries to impersonate that jive ass like they do with Elvis.
Greg

Athens, Greece

#9 Sep 27, 2009
Who is Jay Z?

“Kids ...”

Since: Jan 09

Don't do drugs! <Hee-Hee>

#10 Sep 27, 2009
Very few people know him. Wacko might have been known, but that's mainly due to his infamous behavior.
Greg

Athens, Greece

#11 Sep 27, 2009
OK, I searched. I don't know many things about Rap music. Sorry Jay. But greater than Elvis? I don't think so.
waterlily7

United States

#12 Sep 27, 2009
Rap music is hideous and has been going out of style for a couple of years now. It doesn't take much talent to be a rapper. Most rap music is not substantial and wont stand the test of time. Most rap has no melody and is obnoxious and helped ruin todays music. Todays music is boring, phony and has no soul. Its a waste of time. American Idol also has ruined music. I think I am the only person on the planet that loathes Kelly Clarkson. Her voice is like turds in the toilet! Getting back to is Jay-Z bigger than Elvis? Your'e kidding right? Jay-Z got lucky he's not in a gang or whatever. When Elvis farted he had more talent than Jay-Z so there is your'e answer.
Jack Zippy

United States

#13 Sep 27, 2009
Greg wrote:
Who is Jay Z?
Some one said hey man pass that J my way.But their was a Bogarter in the circle who was lazy and he didn't puff and pass so the called him Lazy Jay Z never gets enough sleep or zzzzzzz's too busy buzzing and jive talking and rapping silly jive ass rhymes.How is this Jay Z. is he Jay Lo's ho.
just

Hampton, VA

#14 Sep 27, 2009
..another silly ass question. I dont see anyone comparing elvis to anybody white. Who cares whos bigger..because im so tired of these blanket comparasions about whos music is best. People like waterlily say rap is not substantial..plain stoopid.
Jack Zippy

United States

#15 Sep 28, 2009
just wrote:
..another silly ass question. I dont see anyone comparing elvis to anybody white. Who cares whos bigger..because im so tired of these blanket comparasions about whos music is best. People like waterlily say rap is not substantial..plain stoopid.
I keep saying Elvis was bigger and needed a bigger blanket by comparison because he got so fat.
Miss Thang

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Sep 28, 2009
I was actually thinking the same thing, these two artisit are not inthe same league at all. I loved Elvis music, and I love JZ's they are BOTH talented men, no matter what people's feelings are about rap music, JZ has proven by making the money that he makes off rapping that everyone doesn't HAVE to like it. Everyone didn't ike Elvis' music either, it's just a matter of opinion. And mine is this, JZ might just surpass Elvis in any records that he holds just because he's still living and can make more music....
just wrote:
..another silly ass question. I dont see anyone comparing elvis to anybody white. Who cares whos bigger..because im so tired of these blanket comparasions about whos music is best. People like waterlily say rap is not substantial..plain stoopid.
Liga

Riga, Latvia

#17 Sep 28, 2009
Not familiar with none of them, and happy <grin>
Mel

Emeryville, CA

#19 Sep 28, 2009
Jack Zippy wrote:
<quoted text>Some one said hey man pass that J my way.But their was a Bogarter in the circle who was lazy and he didn't puff and pass so the called him Lazy Jay Z never gets enough sleep or zzzzzzz's too busy buzzing and jive talking and rapping silly jive ass rhymes.How is this Jay Z. is he Jay Lo's ho.
What is wrong with you? Are you just trying to be a troll? A lot of people like Jay -Z. You don't have to be so insulting.
Mel

Emeryville, CA

#20 Sep 28, 2009
Miss Thang wrote:
I was actually thinking the same thing, these two artisit are not inthe same league at all. I loved Elvis music, and I love JZ's they are BOTH talented men, no matter what people's feelings are about rap music, JZ has proven by making the money that he makes off rapping that everyone doesn't HAVE to like it. Everyone didn't ike Elvis' music either, it's just a matter of opinion. And mine is this, JZ might just surpass Elvis in any records that he holds just because he's still living and can make more music....
<quoted text>
I love Jay-Z and I love Elvis. They are both great. I agree with you.
Mel

Emeryville, CA

#21 Sep 28, 2009
waterlily7 wrote:
Rap music is hideous and has been going out of style for a couple of years now. It doesn't take much talent to be a rapper. Most rap music is not substantial and wont stand the test of time. Most rap has no melody and is obnoxious and helped ruin todays music. Todays music is boring, phony and has no soul. Its a waste of time. American Idol also has ruined music. I think I am the only person on the planet that loathes Kelly Clarkson. Her voice is like turds in the toilet! Getting back to is Jay-Z bigger than Elvis? Your'e kidding right? Jay-Z got lucky he's not in a gang or whatever. When Elvis farted he had more talent than Jay-Z so there is your'e answer.
You are wrong on so many levels.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Blueprint Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Day in Black History Month: Jay-Z, Got 99 Pro... (Feb '14) Feb '14 haysusa 7
Fine dining the Jay-Z way (Dec '13) Dec '13 brandy trujillo 1
Jay-Z set to dominate 2010 BET Hip-Hop Awards (Sep '10) Oct '13 TheAfroHedgehog 2
Drake adopts Jay-Z as mentor in Wayne's absence (Apr '10) Oct '13 TheAfroHedgehog 2
Drake adopts Jay-Z as mentor in Wayne's absence (Mar '10) Oct '13 TheAfroHedgehog 7
Jay-Z Puts Career on Hold for Parenthood (May '12) Sep '13 TheAfroHedgehog 2
Jay-Z in Cuba: 'Negro, por favor' (Apr '13) Apr '13 Don from Canada 5
More from around the web