Newt Gingrich: "Like Viagra for the National Psyche"

Jan 27, 2012 | Posted by: Politix Staff Ed | Full story: www.theatlantic.com

Topix Staff Feature

Newt definitely isn't interested in rational problem-solving, writes The Atlantic's Conor Friedersdorf, and his fascination with moon colonization reveals why.

Friedersdorf hones in on a revealing moment in which Gingrich defends his "large" visions:

"The reason you have to have a bold and large vision is you don't arouse the American nation with trivial, bureaucratic, rational objectives."

"That is telling," says Friedersdorf. "Problem-solving isn't [Gingrich's] object. He aims, as he tells us, to arouse the American people."

Friedersdorf riffs on this to create a "bold" slogan for Gingrich's campaign:

"Newt Gingrich -- he's like Viagra for the national psyche." (Side effects may include nausea, bigger deficits, self-aggrandizing speeches, foreign wars, demagoguery against Muslims, ethics scandals, and shameless demonstrations of moral hypocrisy. Not to be combined with actual executive power.)

Weigh in: Is Gingrich right - should the president excite Americans with bold visions, or focus on the nuts and bolts of problem-solving?

Comments
1 - 20 of 34 Comments Last updated Feb 3, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Obama tells the right to...”

Since: Jun 07

shhhh... STFU, you lost...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

7

6

5

With all the screwing around on each one of his wives Iím sure thatís not good on the psyche of American children.

Indecent and disgusting; but thatís those good old right-wing republican family values.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

3

HAHAHAHAHAAHAH!

Gosh, GingRICH is giving out gifts, imagine, not only are we going to the moon, we are going to build a colony and claim the moon for the USA.

On top of him thinking he'd get elected in the first place, and re elected in the second.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Too bad he won't make it through spring, this is very funny stuff!

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

I think a good President does both, but Gingrich would never make a good President. He's a small-minded, petty, self-obsessed, unethical politician, not a man of vision.

He is, as has been noted, "grandiose." And that's not a compliment, whatever he may think.:)
Makes sense

Dearborn Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

And the GOP kingmakers say RON PAUL is the lunatic. LOL

They are all clowns. In addition, Newt is a self-professed lunartic.

RON PAUL 2012!

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

7

6

4

He's more like a dose of Ex-lax than Viagra.

Just sayin'
Gunnery Sgt Hartman

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

President Fcukin' Moonbeam.

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

4

3

2

LOL!!!

Mr Newt needs to put 'lil Newt inside his pants and keep his zipper zipped.

It'll do wonders for his marriage (the current one anyway...) and he won't creep out the women...
Lance Winslow

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 27, 2012
 
tha Professor wrote:
I think a good President does both, but Gingrich would never make a good President. He's a small-minded, petty, self-obsessed, unethical politician, not a man of vision.
He is, as has been noted, "grandiose." And that's not a compliment, whatever he may think.:)
At this point in the race, all he has to be is less disliked than Romney.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Lance Winslow wrote:
<quoted text>At this point in the race, all he has to be is less disliked than Romney.
He's lost, in other words.
Sheik Yerbouti

Doylestown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Neuter newt!! His moon proposal sounds more like Ralph Kramden than anything!

“Angry Antlers ”

Since: Sep 08

Miami

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

PooPoo Platter wrote:
LOL!!!
Mr Newt needs to put 'lil Newt inside his pants and keep his zipper zipped.
It'll do wonders for his marriage (the current one anyway...) and he won't creep out the women...
It wouldn't just creep out the women-

Small children would start screaming, and men would start vomiting.

LOL

For a candidate who uses Saul Alinsky in every speech as a negative, is himself using Alinsky's tactics point by point to divide and conquer.

Hypocritical freaks, the Republican Reich.
Frank Rizzo

Santa Rosa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 27, 2012
 
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
With all the screwing around on each one of his wives Iím sure thatís not good on the psyche of American children.
Indecent and disgusting; but thatís those good old right-wing republican family values.
Yeah. He's almost as bad as that other republican. Bill Clinton. I mean that other Democrat.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

a collection of the best minds the "topix left" has to offer...

not a rational post among them.

who da thunk it?
Frank Rizzo

Santa Rosa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Caribou Barbie wrote:
<quoted text>
It wouldn't just creep out the women-
Small children would start screaming, and men would start vomiting.
LOL
For a candidate who uses Saul Alinsky in every speech as a negative, is himself using Alinsky's tactics point by point to divide and conquer.
Hypocritical freaks, the Republican Reich.
I've listened to every debate and speech from newt. He's only mentioned Alinsky one time. By contrast, Obozo has given us almost 4 years of Alinsky.

Newt is the only one to call like it really is.

“Angry Antlers ”

Since: Sep 08

Miami

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Frank Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I've listened to every debate and speech from newt. He's only mentioned Alinsky one time. By contrast, Obozo has given us almost 4 years of Alinsky.
Newt is the only one to call like it really is.
I counted SIX mentions of Alinsky since the SC primary.

Obama hasn't ONCE used an Alinsky "rule" for radicals. Sadly so, I wish he had, but Gingrich has used most of them, and the Fleaparty has used ALL of them.

Proves they work.
Pamela

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Marine Corp Pat wrote:
With all the screwing around on each one of his wives Iím sure thatís not good on the psyche of American children.
Indecent and disgusting; but thatís those good old right-wing republican family values.
At least he can get women. You're best catch is a dead rat.
Pamela

France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Caribou Barbie wrote:
<quoted text>
It wouldn't just creep out the women-
Small children would start screaming, and men would start vomiting.
LOL
For a candidate who uses Saul Alinsky in every speech as a negative, is himself using Alinsky's tactics point by point to divide and conquer.
Hypocritical freaks, the Republican Reich.
You are really stupid.
Pamela

France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

PooPoo Platter wrote:
LOL!!!
Mr Newt needs to put 'lil Newt inside his pants and keep his zipper zipped.
It'll do wonders for his marriage (the current one anyway...) and he won't creep out the women...
Just keep trolling for dykes and little boys. You liberals are the worlds sex offenders.

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>Just keep trolling for dykes and little boys. You liberals are the worlds sex offenders.
Sex with you is out of the question?

“Angry Antlers ”

Since: Sep 08

Miami

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>
You are really stupid.
And you're mentally deranged.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Best of Discussions

Search the The Best of Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Thanks for Everything Jun '14 Stan HQ 2
The Best of Winter Soups: Cream of Tomato and B... Jan '14 Tres Chic 2
The Best of Winter Soups: Asian Sweet Corn and ... Jan '14 Tres Chic 2
Little Mix Filming "Move" MV & Finally Gets Gol... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Charlee_Tomlinson 1
The 'Best of Estes' (Jul '13) Jul '13 Seriously dude 12
Nick DeRiso's Mid-Year Best Of 2013 (Rock and P... (Jun '13) Jun '13 tigger31086 1
The Best of SAo Paulo in 72 Hours (Mar '13) Mar '13 jony 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••