What are the best post-Beatles songs ...

What are the best post-Beatles songs for a solo Beatles anthology ??

There are 55 comments on the answers.yahoo.com story from Jul 26, 2009, titled What are the best post-Beatles songs for a solo Beatles anthology ??. In it, answers.yahoo.com reports that:

I'm making a compilation CD of the best solo Beatles stuff from each of them . What are the best songs from each .

If you owned everything Beatles, but only wanted the best solo Beatles songs, what tracklist would make a great 1970-2009 anthology ??

Join the discussion below, or Read more at answers.yahoo.com.

Stephen

Bellingham, WA

#23 May 15, 2011
We're just havin' fun here right? Good then, here we go.

1. Instant Karma (Lennon)
2. My Sweet Lord (Harrison)
3. Every Night (McCartney)
4. Maybe I'm Amazed (McCartney)
5. It Don't Come Easy (Starr)
6. I'd Have You Anytime (Harrison)
7. Oh My Love (Lennon)
8. Imagine (Lennon)
9. Give Me Love (Harrison)
10. Heart Of The Country (McCartney)
11.#9 Dream (Lennon)
12. No No Song (Starr)
13. Letting Go (McCartney)
14. Treat Her Gently-Lonely Old People (McCartney)
15. Blow Away (Harrison)
16. Woman (Lennon)
17. Put It There (McCartney)
18. Real Love (Beatles)
AWC

Dallas, TX

#24 May 15, 2011
Cool list Stephen.
Tommy tunes

Trenton, NJ

#25 May 16, 2011
awc wrote:
Looking back over this list, I might remove,
A dose of rock and roll and Handle with care.
Don't remove those two I gave you much props from including them. Handle with care is one of George's best
AWC

Dallas, TX

#26 May 16, 2011
Tommy tunes wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't remove those two I gave you much props from including them. Handle with care is one of George's best
After thinking about it, I won't, they do belong on it.
Not sure why I ever thought of removing them.
Tommy Two Tunes

Renton, WA

#27 May 16, 2011
Tommy tunes wrote:
<quoted text>
Handle with care is a good one but so is Heading for the light and fish on the sand.I like This is Love also George has so many good tunes it's hard to decide which one is best.

awc

“Pepperland”

Since: Dec 06

Pepperland

#28 May 16, 2011
Tommy Two Tunes wrote:
<quoted text>Handle with care is a good one but so is Heading for the light and fish on the sand.I like This is Love also George has so many good tunes it's hard to decide which one is best.
The Wilbury's First album had George being very involved, but the second (Volume Three) didn't seem to have a lot of George involvement, not saying he wasn't very involved, just not as involved, more of backing vocals.
Even with that said, both were/are great.
Bubba

Renton, WA

#29 May 16, 2011
awc wrote:
<quoted text>
The Wilbury's First album had George being very involved, but the second (Volume Three) didn't seem to have a lot of George involvement, not saying he wasn't very involved, just not as involved, more of backing vocals.
Even with that said, both were/are great.
Yea I liked their first one better myself of course it had Roy on it so that made it better.
Michael E

Copenhagen, Denmark

#30 May 17, 2011
Here is mine Beatles post-Beatles album. I have kept the number of tracks down and the length of the album down to about the size that was normal in pre-CD days. I have also mainly chosen songs with a direct Beatles connection other being sung by a Beatle.
01 - Imagine (Lennon 1971) When asked about the song by Rolling Stone magazine in one of his last interviews, Lennon declared "Imagine" to be as good as anything he had written with the Beatles.
02 - Free As A Bird (Lennon 1977 / Beatles 1995) Written and recorded by Lennon as a demo in 1977 and completed by the remaining Beatles in 1995 as part of the "Anthology" project.
03 - Another Day (McCartney 1971) McCartney can be heard playing piano only versions of this in audio tapes from the "Let It Be" project but the song was never properly recorded by the Beatles.
04 - Try Some Buy Some (Harrison 1971/1973) Written for and originally recorded by Ronnie Spector in 1971, Harrison re-used the backing track produced by phil Spector and used his own vocals to add this to his 1973 album "Living In The Material World"
05 - Instant Karma!(Lennon 1970) Recorded and written in the same day and featuring George Harrison, Yoko Ono, Billy Preston, Klaus Voorman, Alan White and Mal Evans
06 - I Live For You (Harrison 1970/2000) New backing vocals and instrumentation from George and Dhani in 2000, alongside Pete Drake's 1970 steel guitar. This track is an out take from the "All Things Must Pass" sessions
07 - Jealous Guy (Lennon 1971) Originally written in 1968 as "Child Of Nature" but rejected in favour of McCartneys "Mother Natures Child" on "The Beatles" (white album). Lennon later re-worked the lyrics to create this track for the "Imagine" album.
08 - Live And Let Die (McCartney 1972) Commissioned specifically for the James Bond movie of the same name and credited to Paul McCartney and his wife Linda. This track reunited McCartney with Beatles producer George Martin, who both produced the song and arranged the orchestral break.
09 - Real Love (Lennon 1979 / Beatles 1995) Produced in a similar manner as "Free As A Bird", this is the last track ever recorded credited to The Beatles.
10 - My Sweet Lord (Harrison 1970) Originally intended for Billy Preston, this was written in December 1969, when Harrison and Billy Preston were in Copenhagen, Denmark.
11 - Junk (McCartney 1970) Originally written in 1968 in India where The Beatles were studying transcendental meditation, and demoed at George Harrison's house with some of McCartney's inclusions for the double album "The Beatles" (white album); also subsequently considered for the Abbey Road album.
12 - It Don't Come Easy (Starr 1970) Starr reportedly composed the song in 1970 but decades later admitted that the song's producer George Harrison co-wrote the song. Its lyrics refer to the lives of The Beatles around the time of their breakup.
13 - Give Peace A Chance (Lennon 1969) Written and released by John Lennon while The Beatles were officially still together.

awc

“Pepperland”

Since: Dec 06

Pepperland

#31 May 17, 2011
Great list Michael, makes me want to burn a disc with those songs.
You put some serious thought into the list and it shows.
A Yoko Ono fan

Birmingham, AL

#32 Jul 5, 2011
George's best solo songs: My Sweet Lord, Love Comes To Everyone, Beware Of Darkness, The Day The World Gets Round, Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) All Those Years Ago.
John's best solo songs: Jealous Guy, Imagine, Woman, Mind Games,#9 Dream, How Do You Sleep, Instant Karma!, Beautiful Boy, Mother, Love, Cold Turkey, I'm Losing You,(Just Like) Starting Over.
Paul's best solo songs: Single Pigeon, Band On The Run, Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five, Beware My Love, Country Dreamer, Too Much Rain, Calico Skies, Live And Let Die, Oh Woman Oh Why, Eat At Home, Ram On, No More Lonely Nights, Silly Love Songs.
Ringo's best solo songs: You're Sixteen, It Don't Come Easy, Photograph, No No Song, Peace Dream, Love.
Remember, these are just my opinions, don't take it seriously. But I think these are the overall best solo songs of The Beatles after their breakup.
AWC

Dallas, TX

#33 Jul 5, 2011
Pretty good choices Yoko Fan, you picked some deep album cuts that are quite impressive.
I think after all these fine choices, there's no way 1 boxset can hold everything, thank goodness for cd burners.
A Yoko Ono fan

Birmingham, AL

#34 Jul 5, 2011
AWC wrote:
Pretty good choices Yoko Fan, you picked some deep album cuts that are quite impressive.
I think after all these fine choices, there's no way 1 boxset can hold everything, thank goodness for cd burners.
Thanks, there's just so much great songs out there that I probably didn't list as well too. They all four made amazing songs after the breakup. I in particular am partial to George's solo stuff, he had really good songs in the 70's. I used to not care for George's solo career stuff but now that I've taken the time to listen to his songs I found them all to be great.:) George really was incredibly talented, and his voice was really good too.
Beatles Fan

United States

#35 Jul 5, 2011
Stephen wrote:
We're just havin' fun here right? Good then, here we go.
1. Instant Karma (Lennon)
2. My Sweet Lord (Harrison)
3. Every Night (McCartney)
4. Maybe I'm Amazed (McCartney)
5. It Don't Come Easy (Starr)
6. I's Have You Anytime (Harrison)
7. Oh My Love (Lennon)
8. Imagine (Lennon)
9. Give Me Love (Harrison)
10. Heart Of The Country (McCartney)
11.#9 Dream (Lennon)
12. No No Song (Starr)
13. Letting Go (McCartney)
14. Treat Her Gently-Lonely Old People (McCartney)
15. Blow Away (Harrison)
16. Woman (Lennon)
17. Put It There (McCartney)
18. Real Love (Beatles)
BO-RING! The best songs were these former Beatles:

Venus and Mars.
High High High.
Let Em In.
Just Like Starting Over.

Those songs are the ones you can sing to and feel good!
AWC

Dallas, TX

#36 Jul 5, 2011
A Yoko Ono fan wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks, there's just so much great songs out there that I probably didn't list as well too. They all four made amazing songs after the breakup. I in particular am partial to George's solo stuff, he had really good songs in the 70's. I used to not care for George's solo career stuff but now that I've taken the time to listen to his songs I found them all to be great.:) George really was incredibly talented, and his voice was really good too.
I love all the solo music, and there are too many to mention, but so many are album cuts.
Of course it's easy to pick the hits, but the songs on the albums never getting airplay are just as good too.
A Yoko Ono fan

Pinson, AL

#37 Jul 5, 2011
AWC wrote:
<quoted text>I love all the solo music, and there are too many to mention, but so many are album cuts.
Of course it's easy to pick the hits, but the songs on the albums never getting airplay are just as good too.
Yeah, totally. I find some of the rarest songs they recorded on their albums the best most of the time. Do you know that one of my favorite Paul McCartney songs, Beware My Love, was hardly popular or heard of? Even now, on YouTube it hardly has any views! It was on his 1976 album Wings At The Speed Of Sound, a less-popular album for Paul but I liked the songs on it. Some of the little-known songs are hidden gems for me. I like them.
jon frank

Norfolk, VA

#38 Jul 9, 2011
in the end a songwriter is judged by the songs, not by the album on which the songs appear. with that being the standard, lennon wins the post beatle battle hands down. whether you are talking about melody, lyric or both, the lennon songs are distinctive and memorable, and also recognizable. beautiful boy, no. 9 dream, watching the wheels, imagine, happy xmas, woman, just to name the most prominent, would be recognizable no matter who did them or where you heard them. try to name a similar number from any other solo beatle. cant do it. mccartney was much more prolific and popular, but i can name only a couple of song melodies that qualify, and virtually no lyrics. it just shows you how much paul, who i love and think is great, needed john to do his really top work. i don't think the same applies to john. george, as great as he is, is really not in the conversation.ringo is s good drummer.

Since: Jul 11

Newburyport, MA

#39 Jul 20, 2011
Mel wrote:
I wouldn't put anything on the CD past 1972. The Beatles, to me, sounded less and less like the Beatles the further they got away from the breakup.

I would choose only from these albums.

1. All Things Must Pass
2. McCartney
3. Ram
4. Ringo
5. Imagine

That's about it. It was all down hill from there.
Agreed-I think those early post Beatles songs were written while they were still the Beatles
Jeremy

Montclair, NJ

#40 Jul 24, 2011
I've always love this topic. I even made fantasy albums starting in 1970 all the way up to 2010 using Julian, Sean, and Dhani once their fathers died. I've used bootlegs and demos and even impersonators to complete my collection.

I've put up previews on my youtube channel ThinkinOfLinkin17. The only ones I haven't put up yet are my Past Masters 3-10. I think the main reason I did all of the albums was because I got tired of people saying "what about this or that song?" I've just about used all of there solo material so it is bound (I hope) to please all. I've even put together more color albums (like the red & blue) but haven't had time to put them up on my channel yet either.
Chris

Dallas, TX

#41 Aug 24, 2011
I would open the album with georges "what is life" ,,continue into Pauls "band on the run" ,then johns "well well well" now you've had you're fun hard rock time to think sooo next is johns "working class hero",lift it back up with ringos "photograph" .side two opens hard with Pauls "live and let die" then eases into georges "my sweet lord" then a classic John /Paul back to back showing opposites johns "imagine" followed by Pauls "silly love songs" end on a high note with ringos "I'm the greatest"
Jeremy

Valparaiso, IN

#42 Aug 25, 2011
Here's my "Green Album" (1970-1974):
Disc 1
1. Imagine
2. Another Day
3. My Sweet Lord
4. Every Night
5. Instant Karma!(We All Shine On)
6. It Don't Come Easy
7. Maybe I'm Amazed
8. What Is Life
9. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
10. Power To the People
11. Live and Let Die
12. Back Off Boogaloo
13. Jealous Guy
14. My Love

Disc 2
1. Band On The Run
2. Mind Games
3. Give Me Love
4. You're Sixteen (You're Beautiful And You're Mine)
5. Out Of The Blue
6. Jet
7. Photogragh
8. Don't Let Me Wait To Long
9.#9 Dream
10. Only You (And You Alone)
11. Let Me Roll It
12. I Know (I Know)
13. Letting Go
14. Whatever Gets You Through The Night

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ten Things to Do In Houston For $10 or Less (Se... Mar 25 FreePharts 1
Who was present in the line-up for 'love me do'? (Feb '16) Mar 14 kevingnet 4
News Flat Rock Playhouse presents Music on the Rock:... Feb '17 Ringo 2
13 Amazing Facts About Ringo Starr (The Best Dr... Feb '17 Greg 2
For your eyes only (Feb '15) Feb '17 Little monster 58
John Lennon's 1980 Sunglasses: Still available? (Aug '08) Feb '17 Diamond 70 28
47 Best Beatles Covers All Time From Famous Names Feb '17 herseydenvar 1
More from around the web