United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2013

Judged:

My favorite early Beatles album is Beatles for sale. It has the perfect mix of original songs & some great covers.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

I would go for "The Decca sessions" because although they didn't manage to get a record deal the potential of the Beatles is clearly showed. By the way Chris, "Beatles for saleas" is not on the list neither is/was an "early" album. Beatlemania was on her way upward, she was increasing when it was released.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

Ahh, typos;sorry. Sale. Not saleas.
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

Greg wrote:
I would go for "The Decca sessions" because although they didn't manage to get a record deal the potential of the Beatles is clearly showed. By the way Chris, "Beatles for saleas" is not on the list neither is/was an "early" album. Beatlemania was on her way upward, she was increasing when it was released.
My definition of early Beatles, is anything before Help. Even though I also like the Decca recordings, they also do not qualify, since they've never been officially released. They only appear on bootlegs, except for the few tracks that appeared on Anthology.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

Chris wrote:
<quoted text>My definition of early Beatles, is anything before Help. Even though I also like the Decca recordings, they also do not qualify, since they've never been officially released. They only appear on bootlegs, except for the few tracks that appeared on Anthology.
Compared to "Beatles for Sale" ones, yes, they do not;ok, since you have made yourself clear about the recordings you consider as "The early days of the Beatles", fair enough.
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

Greg wrote:
<quoted text>Compared to "Beatles for Sale" ones, yes, they do not;ok, since you have made yourself clear about the recordings you consider as "The early days of the Beatles", fair enough.
Sorry Greg, I guess I misunderstood what albums were considered early Beatles. Give me a list of the albums for consideration, & I will pick one.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry Greg, I guess I misunderstood what albums were considered early Beatles. Give me a list of the albums for consideration, & I will pick one.
No need to ask sorry, Chris. I think the "Early Days" are the recordings before "Please Please Me" which rocketed them to stardom. "Live at the Star Club", "The Decca Sessions", "Beatles with Tony Sheridan", such. You could include the tapes they made as "The Quarrymen, too. But, this is my view on that. Someone else would have other perception about what were "The Early Days". It's objective...
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

It's objective...I meant...subjective... A Wop bop a loo lop a lop bam boo!
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Ok Greg, I think I will pick the one they did with Tony Sheridan. I still listen to Ain't She Sweet & Cry For A Shadow on a regular basis. Cry For A Shadow is my favorite Beatles instrumental.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Chris wrote:
Ok Greg, I think I will pick the one they did with Tony Sheridan. I still listen to Ain't She Sweet & Cry For A Shadow on a regular basis. Cry For A Shadow is my favorite Beatles instrumental.
Well, right you are! "Cry for a shadow" is a very good instrumental number. The only composition made by Harrison and Lennon I think(Lennon had said that he helped George in "Taxman" but it wasn't labeled as "Harrison-Lennon")li ke this one. If I recall well the story behind the song, they were inspired by the English instrumental group "The Shadows", who had one of the greatest Pop/Rock guitarists ever, Hank Marvin. I also like "Why" and some others:"Ruby Bay", "Ain't she sweet", yes; You are indeed a real fan Chris, just as I thought of you. Please forgive my use of English sometimes.
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Greg wrote:
<quoted text>Well, right you are! "Cry for a shadow" is a very good instrumental number. The only composition made by Harrison and Lennon I think(Lennon had said that he helped George in "Taxman" but it wasn't labeled as "Harrison-Lennon")li ke this one. If I recall well the story behind the song, they were inspired by the English instrumental group "The Shadows", who had one of the greatest Pop/Rock guitarists ever, Hank Marvin. I also like "Why" and some others:"Ruby Bay", "Ain't she sweet", yes; You are indeed a real fan Chris, just as I thought of you. Please forgive my use of English sometimes.
Yeah it is strange that after they became really famous, that John & Paul didn't collaborate with George. They could've helped him become a better songwriter a lot sooner. Instead they forced him to write alone, & kept a lot of his songs off of the albums. That's why his first solo album was three discs, because he had a lot of songs written that the group had rejected.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah it is strange that after they became really famous, that John & Paul didn't collaborate with George. They could've helped him become a better songwriter a lot sooner. Instead they forced him to write alone, & kept a lot of his songs off of the albums. That's why his first solo album was three discs, because he had a lot of songs written that the group had rejected.
We had been over this before, with the other great guys and fans. George contributed to some of their songs as he said in an interview but, it was never revealed. He was a talent on his own in my opinion, the other two thought he wasn't on the level of theirs. If you take every George's song in the Beatles from "Don't Bother me" to "For you Blue" or "I me mine"(don't remember which was the last on the "Let it be" album), you will see that there is nothing to be jealous of the others. In fact, sometimes his songs were better; Look at "While my guitar gently weeps", for instance. Of course, it was the period which George had developed himself as a songwriter and a guitarist. I personally consider all three of them as slightly equivalent with Lennon as the Captain of the ship.
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Greg wrote:
<quoted text>We had been over this before, with the other great guys and fans. George contributed to some of their songs as he said in an interview but, it was never revealed. He was a talent on his own in my opinion, the other two thought he wasn't on the level of theirs. If you take every George's song in the Beatles from "Don't Bother me" to "For you Blue" or "I me mine"(don't remember which was the last on the "Let it be" album), you will see that there is nothing to be jealous of the others. In fact, sometimes his songs were better; Look at "While my guitar gently weeps", for instance. Of course, it was the period which George had developed himself as a songwriter and a guitarist. I personally consider all three of them as slightly equivalent with Lennon as the Captain of the ship.
Yeah I agree he was a great songwriter, but it took him longer to develop his songwriting talent, because he didn't have anyone else to work with, Lennon & McCartney had each other. If you consider the Abbey Rd album, two of the best songs on that album were George's Something & Here Comes The Sun.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah I agree he was a great songwriter, but it took him longer to develop his songwriting talent, because he didn't have anyone else to work with, Lennon & McCartney had each other. If you consider the Abbey Rd album, two of the best songs on that album were George's Something & Here Comes The Sun.
Please, allow me to say that it didn't took him longer to evolute, it was that they didn't pay enough attention to this songs, they never worked on them real hard as they did on theirs(nevertheless, they did expect George and Ringo to give their 100% on their songs!). Listen people, the Beatles became what they became, are what they are because of three magnificent songwriters and musicians and, one outstanding drummer who did contribute on song writing, too. It is stupid to search who contributed more and all that. Let's leave it here.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

didn take him, not didn't took him.
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

Here's a little trivia for you Greg. Previously you talked about George's song Taxman. Did you know that it's not George playing the solo on that song, it's Paul that played the solo. Just a little trivia for you, & something I was surprised to learn.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

Judged:

Chris wrote:
Here's a little trivia for you Greg. Previously you talked about George's song Taxman. Did you know that it's not George playing the solo on that song, it's Paul that played the solo. Just a little trivia for you, & something I was surprised to learn.
I knew it, Chris. Just like that Paul played lead guitar on "Ticket to Rice", as well. You have an orchestra man in the studio(Paul), it is impossible to stand still and not dominating it. There are other songs too that Paul didn't play bass or John played that and George that...I think that on "Old Brown Shoe" George did play bass.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

Judged:

Oh boy, what's happening to me? "Ticket to Ride", not "Rice". Lol. How about "Ticket to Pasta?".
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

Judged:

Greg wrote:
<quoted text>I knew it, Chris. Just like that Paul played lead guitar on "Ticket to Rice", as well. You have an orchestra man in the studio(Paul), it is impossible to stand still and not dominating it. There are other songs too that Paul didn't play bass or John played that and George that...I think that on "Old Brown Shoe" George did play bass.
You just taught me something new, I didn't know Paul played lead on Ticket to Ride.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2013

Judged:

Chris wrote:
<quoted text>You just taught me something new, I didn't know Paul played lead on Ticket to Ride.
Thanks, Chris. I have found a list which shows the songs that Paul played lead guitar on:

Ticket to Ride"
"The Night Before"
"Another Girl"
"Taxman"
"And Your Bird Can Sing"(I don't know exactly, I thought it was John in the first place along with George of course. It's more probably that all three of them were playing).
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"
"Good Morning, Good Morning"
"Back in the U.S.S.R."
"Birthday"
"Helter Skelter"
"The End"(with the two others, that remarkable guitars' part).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the The Beatles Forum right now

Search the The Beatles Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bob Dylan yes or no (Jun '10) 12 hr Chris 12
150 Best Selling Artists in the World! (Dec '08) Apr 14 RICK 12,614
Yoko Ono (Jul '06) Apr 14 Ron 119
my beatles friends (Nov '07) Apr 12 Greg 95
Non-LP Singles, B-Sides, & Rarities From the Be... (Jan '11) Apr 12 Stormin Norm 9
YOU SUCK PAUL McCartney (Jun '13) Apr 11 Jerry Sandusky 125
25 Top Travelers' Choice Destinations Apr 11 John Shatzalot 7
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••