'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' turns 46: Huntsville musicians discuss Beatles masterpiece

There are 11 comments on the Alabama Live story from May 30, 2013, titled 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' turns 46: Huntsville musicians discuss Beatles masterpiece. In it, Alabama Live reports that:

The Beatles are shown in 1967. From left: Ringo Starr, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alabama Live.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Chris

East Lansing, MI

#83 Dec 29, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a decent Christmas but it was an adult Christmas. I didn't get many gifts because my family agreed not to exchange this year. I did have fun though. My brother in law's brother got married to The Beatles. They were played at his wedding like four or five years ago. He is still married. Perhaps, he has a new friend that talked him out of liking The Beatles. I just thought is was strange, that's all. I know that no one can make me not like Elvis. I feel the same way you do. I wouldn't care if I was the last Elvis fan on earth, I'd still listen to him. I know that kids sometimes follow what their friends like or dislike but this guy is in his forties. He loved The Beatles. So what happened? He did not explain.
I didn't get any presents either, but that's by choice. I don't really celebrate Christmas, so I don't give or receive presents. I did spend the day with my mom, so that was good. Just curious, do you remember what Beatles song was played at that wedding? I'm guessing it was Something.
frank leghay

Huntsville, AL

#84 Dec 30, 2013
back when I was a godless homosexual dope smoking hippie, I used to huff poppers and take humongous black men into my bottom side. after getting right with our maker, i realized that everyone listening to this music was going to hell. repent before these evil purveyors of devil music take you to the hell they're in...
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#85 Dec 30, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't get any presents either, but that's by choice. I don't really celebrate Christmas, so I don't give or receive presents. I did spend the day with my mom, so that was good. Just curious, do you remember what Beatles song was played at that wedding? I'm guessing it was Something.
I treated myself to a couple newly released Elvis concert bootlegs but I am waiting for a certain title to be mailed. I did not expect to get gifts this year but my wife and I did get some nice silver chains with gemstones for my mom, my sister and her sister. It was on a lark because the store was going out of business. They made great gifts. My brother in law's wedding was a while ago but it was held outside in a garden. I am not positive what Beatle song they got married to but it was either "Strawberry Fields Forever" or "Penny Lane" It was a nice wedding and they hired a DJ afterwards, which was in a rented hall. They played a lot of eighties Heavy Metal and it was like a hillbilly gathering. When my wife and I got married, it was a small church service just for close family and friends. We flew out to Las Vegas a day later and spent most of the money on the two week honeymoon. My best friend and his wife had a large wedding but no honeymoon. I thought that was stupid to spend $10,000 on a wedding that is over with in a few hours. Las Vegas was awesome! We saw The Beatles "Love"
Chris

Jackson, MI

#86 Dec 30, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I treated myself to a couple newly released Elvis concert bootlegs but I am waiting for a certain title to be mailed. I did not expect to get gifts this year but my wife and I did get some nice silver chains with gemstones for my mom, my sister and her sister. It was on a lark because the store was going out of business. They made great gifts. My brother in law's wedding was a while ago but it was held outside in a garden. I am not positive what Beatle song they got married to but it was either "Strawberry Fields Forever" or "Penny Lane" It was a nice wedding and they hired a DJ afterwards, which was in a rented hall. They played a lot of eighties Heavy Metal and it was like a hillbilly gathering. When my wife and I got married, it was a small church service just for close family and friends. We flew out to Las Vegas a day later and spent most of the money on the two week honeymoon. My best friend and his wife had a large wedding but no honeymoon. I thought that was stupid to spend $10,000 on a wedding that is over with in a few hours. Las Vegas was awesome! We saw The Beatles "Love"
That was cool that you got to see Love. Seeing that show & going to Liverpool are on my bucket list. I know what you mean about weddings, some people spend way to much on them. My wedding was also a small church wedding, with only a handful of friends & family. I married a woman who is not high maintenance, she doesn't require expensive things to be happy. In fact, it was her idea to have a small inexpensive wedding.
Drew Milligan

Brooks, GA

#87 Dec 30, 2013
frank leghay wrote:
back when I was a godless homosexual dope smoking hippie, I used to huff poppers and take humongous black men into my bottom side. after getting right with our maker, i realized that everyone listening to this music was going to hell. repent before these evil purveyors of devil music take you to the hell they're in...
I was at a DeMolay initiation last week, where one of the Dads started channeling John Lennon from the depts of hell. He says George Harrison and himself are helping satan write all the music for Beyonce and Miley Cyrus. It figures, cause like The Beatles, their music sucks too but buttloads of dumbshyts love it.
Beavis

Huntsville, AL

#88 Dec 30, 2013
Huu huu... huu huu... he's named PUS
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Chris

Brighton, MI

#89 Dec 30, 2013
Drew Milligan wrote:
<quoted text>
I was at a DeMolay initiation last week, where one of the Dads started channeling John Lennon from the depts of hell. He says George Harrison and himself are helping satan write all the music for Beyonce and Miley Cyrus. It figures, cause like The Beatles, their music sucks too but buttloads of dumbshyts love it.
Did you really just compare the Beatles to Miley Cyrus & Beyonce? That shows how much you know about music. Plus, by saying John & George are in hell, means your judging them. Judge not, lest ye be judged.
Sharon Cox

Huntsville, AL

#90 Dec 30, 2013
Chris wrote:
... Plus, by saying John & George are in hell, means your judging them. Judge not, lest ye be judged...
I believe this Drew dude said he was at a DeMolay initiation last week, where one of the Dads started channeling John Lennon from the depths of hell.

He wasn't judging them, he was just stating where he saw them last.

Anyhow, the Beatles were just another lame Boy Band... reminds most of the Backdoor Boys... or even Menudo.

Justin Beiber has more singing talent in his bleeding hemorrhoid than Paul McCartney has in his vocal cords... and YOU ALL KNOW IT'S TRUE!
Chris

Waterford, MI

#91 Dec 31, 2013
Sharon Cox wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe this Drew dude said he was at a DeMolay initiation last week, where one of the Dads started channeling John Lennon from the depths of hell.
Anyhow, the Beatles were just another lame Boy Band... reminds most of the Backdoor Boys... or even Menudo.
Justin Beiber has more singing talent in his bleeding hemorrhoid than Paul McCartney has in his vocal cords... and YOU ALL KNOW IT'S TRUE!
When anyone else, besides Elvis, has over a billion in sales, & is still extremely popular, 50 years from now. Then you can say they are better than the Beatles. So far, noone has been able to top the phenomenon that was Beatlemania or what Elvis accomplished. They are the only two, in the history of recorded music, to have over a billion in sales. Elvis has the most gold & platinum awards ever, & Paul McCartney is the most successful songwriter ever.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#92 Jan 1, 2014
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>That was cool that you got to see Love. Seeing that show & going to Liverpool are on my bucket list. I know what you mean about weddings, some people spend way to much on them. My wedding was also a small church wedding, with only a handful of friends & family. I married a woman who is not high maintenance, she doesn't require expensive things to be happy. In fact, it was her idea to have a small inexpensive wedding.
We spent most of the money on the honeymoon. We were going to get married in Las Vegas but family members wanted to be at the wedding. Las Vegas was fantastic. I've been there a few times but my wife never flew on a plane. She loved it. I like expensive things but I do not feel comfortable being in debt. We make sure we can afford what we have. When we were in Vegas, we saw a lot of shows and there was always something different to do every single night. We weren't stuck in one vacation. Anyway, The Beatles Love was packed. People were friendly and both my wife and I had a great time.
Chris

Mason, MI

#93 Jan 1, 2014
Sharon Cox wrote:
<quoted text>
By you saying the Beatles are just another boy band, shows how little you know about music. A typical boy band is put together by some music executive's, & they usually don't even write their own music. The Beatles were four musicians, who came together on their own, & they wrote about 85% of all the music they recorded. Anyone else's songs they recorded, they did because they wanted to, not because some record executive told them to. They only recorded for 8 years, but in that short amount of time, they managed to become the most famous, most successful & the most influential band ever. It has been 43 years, since they broke up. Yet, they still have millions of fans, all over the world. Every new generation produces new Beatles fans, & they continue to have millions in sales every year. From 2000-2010, the best selling CD for those ten years was the Beatles greatest hits collection called 1. I could go on, but the point is, I want you to realize , that the Beatles were much more than another boy band. If they were just another boy band, they wouldn't have had the kind of impact they had on the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Watch Baltimore's Michael Jackson Protestor Per... Sat Amazing Grace 2
News Jax parade and concert: 'American Idol' hopeful... Sat All That I Am 1
News 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! (Dec '08) Thu Jim Devine 12,866
News Paul McCartney Debuts The Beatles Song In Japan Thu WOMDRUDAEGUMIDEBD... 5
News Chris Crofton, Advice King: The Merits of Colle... Apr 29 January 32
For your eyes only Apr 28 Shut UP Maria 20
News Longtime Allendale music aficionado eager to ad... Apr 20 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
More from around the web