The Beatles Are Overrated
Octopus

Astoria, NY

#1099 Jun 6, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>I'd like to hear Yes do Every Little thing. They toured recently with a John Anderson sound a like. I didn't see them but I did see Allan Whites band called the Whites they were good and the chick singer was real good.I have a buddy that knows Allan White and his wife. I think they live close to Seattle.
I could swear that "Every Little Thing" was on Yes's second album album, "Time And A Word" but in my ROCK DISCGRAPHY book it says it is on their debut album. Must be the British version. Anyway, I'm sure Yes's "Every Little Thing" is on You Tube. I remember "Time And A Word" was a good early Yes release. It was unusual because there was just a regular picture of the band on the cover instead of the artwork spacey drawings most of them had. Jon Anderson appeared on a soundtrack with John Paul Jones, "Scream For Help" I had it on cassette in the eighties.
Octopus

Astoria, NY

#1100 Jun 6, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah I know Octo otherwise you wouldn't be into Elvis or any of the Beatle stuff.
lol. That's true...

Not all ex metal heads are alike.

I know that you really don't care for Heavy Metal, Bubba.
The prisoner

Altoona, PA

#1101 Jun 17, 2013
Kinks rule!
The Warden

Bothell, WA

#1102 Jun 17, 2013
The prisoner wrote:
Kinks rule!
Yep the Kinks were cool.You are now elgible for parole.
Jfro

Schenectady, NY

#1103 Jun 18, 2013
Sunshine1982 wrote:
The Beatles were unbelievably popular, but does that mean they were the best? You are actually comparing Harrison to Clapton? Wow! Harrison even said in an interview he was not in Clapton's league! How old are you? The last time I checked 27 was an adult. Just because I don't buy into the mythical Beatles tale doesn't mean I don't know music. I like very few Beatles songs. Just because they are super popular doesn't mean I have to like them. Most people like Mcdonalds food I don't. George Martin was extremely important to the beatles according to lennon giving htem a very innovative sound. Listen to any of their solo albums? I suppose silly love songs is genius. Pink Floyd did piper at the gates of dawn the same year as Beatles Pepper. Tangerine Dream ect. Can Harrison compare to jimi hendix? I know music. Do you know who Debussy or ravel are? How many composers hail from europe from the 17th century. Name a muddy waters song that the rolling stones recorded. I know music. You are narrow minded.
"I know Debussy and Ravel...and guess what, like them, Harrison was a game changer. That takes nothign away from Hendrix or Clapton..., but Harrison was unique. Clapton is just another blues guitarist. And...it isn't all about being a virtuoso...it is about good song writing. The Bealtes broke down the doors, and their music is so versatile. They do stand alone. And they stand on top."
Jefrey

Schenectady, NY

#1104 Jun 18, 2013
Personally, arguing whether or not the Beatles are the best is silly. They wrote briliant music and it has stood the test of time better than most. But, they also were one part of a cultural eplosion. The 20th century brough us Jazz, Rock, Metal, Rap, etc. Some of the finest music of the centurey came from the 20s-40s. Some of it came in the 60s-80s. Instead arguing one style or one band against another, try rehearching who your favorite musicians listened to. Then listen to hat. Then find out what they listened to. Good song writing is good song writing. Open your minds. You can have Sgt. Pepper and Piper at the Gates of Dawn...and so muc more. I'm 42 and just beginning to realize how many amazing bands there were in the 60s. And, many great one hit wonders. I love Rush...but how can they be compared to the Beatles? Or Ravel for that matter.
Just open your minds and ears. Ther is so much amazing music to listen to. Sadly, none of it seems to have been made in the last 10 years...but I keep listening for something cool and new.

I never thought I'd love early Beatles whern I was 27. Boy, do I love early Beatles. As you grow, your appreciation of music and knowledge of it should continue to grow.
Bubba

Bothell, WA

#1105 Jun 18, 2013
Jefrey wrote:
Personally, arguing whether or not the Beatles are the best is silly. They wrote briliant music and it has stood the test of time better than most. But, they also were one part of a cultural eplosion. The 20th century brough us Jazz, Rock, Metal, Rap, etc. Some of the finest music of the centurey came from the 20s-40s. Some of it came in the 60s-80s. Instead arguing one style or one band against another, try rehearching who your favorite musicians listened to. Then listen to hat. Then find out what they listened to. Good song writing is good song writing. Open your minds. You can have Sgt. Pepper and Piper at the Gates of Dawn...and so muc more. I'm 42 and just beginning to realize how many amazing bands there were in the 60s. And, many great one hit wonders. I love Rush...but how can they be compared to the Beatles? Or Ravel for that matter.
Just open your minds and ears. Ther is so much amazing music to listen to. Sadly, none of it seems to have been made in the last 10 years...but I keep listening for something cool and new.
I never thought I'd love early Beatles whern I was 27. Boy, do I love early Beatles. As you grow, your appreciation of music and knowledge of it should continue to grow.
I check out Canadian Bands. I have always been a big fan of the Guess Who. Bare Naked Ladies are Ok .Triump-Rush- Harlequin-Bachman Turner OverDrive-Colin James-Tragically Hip are sort of cool too.
Gerardo

San Salvador, El Salvador

#1106 Jul 4, 2013
West Archer wrote:
Exactly. You're tired of defending the band; I get it. I would be frustrated having to argue for a petty band as well. Of course, I'm not sure how anyone can be right or wrong on something so subjective.
Fact: Beatles are overrated. This is being looked at logically. For them to deserve credit for their merits, they would have to have a universal appreciation from everyone existing. That will never happen considering the growing minority of people who think they are dubious at best. Thus, they are overrated by default. You cannot argue through this.
Opinion: Their music is "okay"...nothing close to a masterpiece by any means.
At the end of the day, it boils down to how I look at it. You can enjoy your music for all I care. I'm here, however, to show you that your little band is overrated.
Fact? Really? Is a fact? So you can scientifically prove it, or mathematically prove The Beatles are overrated? Then it's not a fact, it's your opinion!
Michael

Christchurch, New Zealand

#1107 Sep 26, 2013
This thread is bullshit. Although I hate the notion of there being a greatest band ever (as it is hard to choose, not to mention it is insulting to all the great bands out there)the Beatles are awesome. This is just my opinion. They're not my favourite band, but they are one of my favourites, and it is ridiculous to attempt to deny them their place in music history. Whatever. Long live the Beatles and down with the uptight, anal-retentive bullshit revisionism comments about their music being posted by guys like Sunshine who've never done anything worthwhile in their lives and aren't even fit enough to polish George Harrison's guitar pick!
Lafe Purcell

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1109 Nov 7, 2013
If it is true that perception is reality - and it is generally accepted that it IS true (generally, lol) then the Beatles were an undeniably great band since, the stray cranks and contrarians aside, that is the general perception - and one which exists and persists across many national borders.
Jason Wendell Konopka

Gratz, PA

#1110 Nov 19, 2013
The BEATLES ARE BLOODSUCKERS. They Can't Sing.
JULIO IGLESIAS Sings Way Better than the STUPID MUD PUPPIES. You Should listen to JULIO Sing
NON SI VIVE COSI From 1983.
I own this Record Album Titled JULIO.

ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY!
THANK YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!
Julio Is Awesome. Beatles Suck Big Time.
DeadMansHand666

#1112 Jan 6, 2014
I posted a comment here before, claiming this thread is bullshit. I still stand by it. The ignorant fucker who started this thread very likely can't carry a tune to save his miserable hide. He's just trying to gain some attention he doesn't deserve by deviating from the general accepted opinion. It all boils down to this, YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE THE BEATLES, YOU MORON! At least respect their place in music history. You poor, sad, pathetic dipshit.

Keep this stupid thread running, it will stand as testament to your ignorance and imbecility.

BEATLES>>>>> >> (Infinity) Bubba, West Archer...all the other narrow-minded elitist clowns.
Greg

Athens, Greece

#1113 Jan 7, 2014
How's the weather?
DeadMansHand666

#1115 Jan 11, 2014
Hey, not bad here...how's it up there in Greece?
Greg

Athens, Greece

#1116 Jan 11, 2014
We have the so called "Halcyon days". That is sunshine and no cold. I asked about the weather generally, because I heard in the States was very cold, they had been having a terrible time. I don't know if it ends; I hope so. Glad to hear that in New Zealand you are having a good weather.
Greg

Athens, Greece

#1117 Jan 11, 2014
And forgive me to have been off Topic. It's that I still feel this Forum as a "club", posting in every thread, everything I feel like whenever I feel like. Which is not necessarily wrong but, it isn't fit. The Beatles are not overrated. They were a great band, not Gods. Nevertheless, not everyone possess a talent that they possess(ed). Is that right?
Greg

Athens, Greece

#1118 Jan 11, 2014
not everyone possesses, sorry.
Chris

East Lansing, MI

#1119 Jan 11, 2014
Greg wrote:
And forgive me to have been off Topic. It's that I still feel this Forum as a "club", posting in every thread, everything I feel like whenever I feel like. Which is not necessarily wrong but, it isn't fit. The Beatles are not overrated. They were a great band, not Gods. Nevertheless, not everyone possess a talent that they possess(ed). Is that right?
I agree with you Greg, they had something that other bands wish they had. They seemed to have the complete package. All of them were attractive & charismatic. They were funny & intuitive. They all could sing & were accomplished musicians. And three of them were very good songwriters. Very few bands are lucky enough to have one or two talented members. Every member of the Beatles was very talented. That's why they have stood the test of time, & why we're talking about them now.
Greg

Athens, Greece

#1120 Jan 11, 2014
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you Greg, they had something that other bands wish they had. They seemed to have the complete package. All of them were attractive & charismatic. They were funny & intuitive. They all could sing & were accomplished musicians. And three of them were very good songwriters. Very few bands are lucky enough to have one or two talented members. Every member of the Beatles was very talented. That's why they have stood the test of time, & why we're talking about them now.
Hi, Chris. Yes, they are all that. Other bands do have talented members, the Beatles though had a complete, an all around musicianship that touched the heart of millions. As Paul stated, "we were very arty". John attended at the Art school in Liverpool and he studied English Literature at school(and got an "A" level). Sir George Martin contributed to that, adding classical music stuff in their songs. More than a Rock band, they are liked by people who their tastes in music are far beyond "Rock" or "Pop". It's not right to say who is the best, alright; We can't underrate on the other hand the beauty they transmitted through their music. Whatever anyone would say, nothing can downgrade that. Not in a thousand years.
Greg

Athens, Greece

#1121 Jan 11, 2014
I'm very sorry about the double post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Keith Richards criticises The Beatles as a live... Jul 19 Greg 1
Dr BLT's Song Sequel to LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DI... Jul 17 Bruce 1
Blackbird lands on Bourée E minor Jul 17 Enortec the observer 3
News Bryan Adams rocks the Greek on his way to Irvine Jul 13 t adams 1
Starr is shining Jul 7 Greg 1
For your eyes only (Feb '15) May '16 Little monster 42
News Michael Jackson: Your number one music icon (Aug '10) May '16 Spotted Wee 137
More from around the web