The Beatles Are Overrated

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#957 Apr 8, 2013
Poppa Jivebones wrote:
<quoted text>Funny thing is Brian Wilson admired Paul Mccartney and Paul admired Brian. Both are musical genius when it comes to composing songs. Brian did have bad mental issues and didn't even go to his Dads funeral. His dad was a control freak it sounded like.Dylan had a big influence on John and by Rubber soul George was becoming a much better song writer also.The Beatles helped other artist like Chad and Jeremy and were a big help to Badfinger.
I know that Paul has said that "Pet Sounds" is one his favorite albums. It is a shimmering pop masterpiece that didn't originally sell all that well in 1966. When it came down to composing, John Lennon was certainly the genius in my view. George was a bit under rated but he even wrote better songs than Paul McCartney. I can instantly tell a Lennon lyric to a McCartney one. I think that Brain Wilson had some confidence issues because of his controlling dad. You should hear some of the Beach Boy studio outtakes with his father yelling at Brian and putting him down. Badfinger was a great band that saw their fortunes wane much too soon.
kookadams

Carlsbad, CA

#958 Apr 9, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that Paul has said that "Pet Sounds" is one his favorite albums. It is a shimmering pop masterpiece that didn't originally sell all that well in 1966. When it came down to composing, John Lennon was certainly the genius in my view. George was a bit under rated but he even wrote better songs than Paul McCartney. I can instantly tell a Lennon lyric to a McCartney one. I think that Brain Wilson had some confidence issues because of his controlling dad. You should hear some of the Beach Boy studio outtakes with his father yelling at Brian and putting him down. Badfinger was a great band that saw their fortunes wane much too soon.
Ive heard many outtakes. The thing with Pet Sounds is that it represented the turning point in rock and pop music. After Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations faded mainstream rock faded away. In otherwords to find quality music after 1967 you really had to search for it, it wasn't everywhere ya look like it had been. Rock'n'Roll was such a thriving force in the 50s and all the way til 1966-67 and then GONE. In the mid 70s it came back when Endless Summer topped the charts but it shined a new light on the old songs and disregarded all the masterpieces the Beach Boys made after Pet Sounds all the way up to the Holland album. Wild Honey, Sunflower and Holland were ALL great but the Beach Boys commercial viability shifted to the UK- they were HUGE in the UK in the late 60s/early 70s but the American music consumers had turned a deaf ear to rock at that time, it really is a mindfuck.
kookadams

Carlsbad, CA

#959 Apr 9, 2013
Brookadams wrote:
<quoted text> Minamal abilities don't make me laugh at your stupidity. George Harrison was the first ever to play slide guitar without it being the blues Paul and John both could play at least three different instruments very well and self taught. Perfect harmonies- Ringo was an outstanding drummer and percusionist. George Martin was an excellent engineer and producer but first he had to have great material to produce bonehead.They spent long hours playing dives in Hamburg and polishing their unique talents. Do you not understand with your pea brain that they weren't an overnight success ? It took a lot of sweat and drive which they had and Brian Epstein knew it so he managed them and marketed their polished act to become they most popular British rock band in history so get over it dimwit.In 7 years they accomplished more than most bands that outlasted them.
If you think the beatles would have been anything without George Martin then you sir are the idiot. George Martin was THE sole reason they had the success that they had. The writing is on the wall and the proof is in the music. If look at it by album: Meet the Beatles being the first album that introduced Americans to the beatles, their first solid production. Hard Days Night and Help offered a side of songs from the films and a side of outtakes. Rubber Soul was a solid effort, Revolver was a solid effort and then they ceased performing. 62-66 they were a legitimate band, 67-69 they were a studio group on borrowed time.
Nemesis

Ardsley, NY

#960 Apr 9, 2013
Jack Zippy wrote:
<quoted text>You're intitled to your opinion but I'm afraid you don't know all the facts and you don't have much knowledge of music at only 27.Harrison was a great guitar player just Like Clapton.The Beatles ruled the sixties and for you to compare them to McDonalds come on get real.Paul McCartney is super talented and can play about six different instruments do I need to go on.Yes George Martin was a great producer but he had a great group to work with also.No band has topped the Beatles yet.
I'm 38 years old and agree The Beatles are terribly overrated! They gained their popularity from all the little school girls who loved them for their looks like the teens of today liked/like The Backstreet Boys or Justin Beiber.
A bunch of poorly written garbage fronted by some good looking teen sensations!
I've listened to death metal bands that have more talent than the Beatles.'Nuff said

Location hidden

#963 Apr 9, 2013
kookadams wrote:
<quoted text>
Ive heard many outtakes. The thing with Pet Sounds is that it represented the turning point in rock and pop music. After Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations faded mainstream rock faded away. In otherwords to find quality music after 1967 you really had to search for it, it wasn't everywhere ya look like it had been. Rock'n'Roll was such a thriving force in the 50s and all the way til 1966-67 and then GONE. In the mid 70s it came back when Endless Summer topped the charts but it shined a new light on the old songs and disregarded all the masterpieces the Beach Boys made after Pet Sounds all the way up to the Holland album. Wild Honey, Sunflower and Holland were ALL great but the Beach Boys commercial viability shifted to the UK- they were HUGE in the UK in the late 60s/early 70s but the American music consumers had turned a deaf ear to rock at that time, it really is a mindfuck.
I know what The Beach Boys did because I have the excellent box set, "Good Vibrations: Thirty Years Of The Beach Boys" which show their creative talents rather well. Unfortunately, rock and pop radio doesn't always play the best stuff and seem to cater to what they think the mainstream wants. In other words, they hype up the worse or over rated crap while ignoring some under appreciated artists that got very little attention. The Beach Boys popularity to the mainstream press was as an oldies beach party band fronted by Mike Love. That wasn't exactly The Beatles fault. The Beatles made "The White Album" which had a harder rock sound that the public seemed to embrace in the late sixties, early seventies. Clapton, Hendrix, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. It is all about timing and who you know. Great bands like The Flamin' Groovies got ignored but lack of success doesn't mean that they weren't great. In fact, not being played meant that the music is better for discovery. Not every artist or band can have the promotion and the fame that a few have. Still like that today.

Location hidden

#964 Apr 9, 2013
kookadams wrote:
<quoted text>
I have many studio outtake CD's from The Beatles. They were an excellent studio band when they were inspired. Any band can have a bad session where it just doesn't jell. But George Martin was the producer and spliced tapes together. "Rubber Soul" was mostly recorded live in the studio while "Revolver" wasn't. Of course, George Martin was going to make it sound good. It was his job working for EMI and The Beatles. It worked because "Revolver" was certainly a turning point in the way people heard rock music. It was one of those rare times where the radio programers and the music buying public met eye to eye. The Beatles simply had plenty of attention because of who they were.

Location hidden

#965 Apr 9, 2013
kookadams wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think the beatles would have been anything without George Martin then you sir are the idiot. George Martin was THE sole reason they had the success that they had. The writing is on the wall and the proof is in the music. If look at it by album: Meet the Beatles being the first album that introduced Americans to the beatles, their first solid production. Hard Days Night and Help offered a side of songs from the films and a side of outtakes. Rubber Soul was a solid effort, Revolver was a solid effort and then they ceased performing. 62-66 they were a legitimate band, 67-69 they were a studio group on borrowed time.
But The Beatles never denied George Martin credit. Beatle fans know the George Martin did his studio trickery. The Beatles were never a great live band to begin with so it made sense for them to not waste time doing live gigs when they could be writing songs, recording albums. They outgrew their teenage audience fairly quickly and knew that the live performances were not up to standards by the time they played Candlestick Park in 1966. I listened to that soundboard concert and it was obvious that it wasn't working for them.

Location hidden

#966 Apr 9, 2013
*that George Martin did his studio trickery...

Location hidden

#967 Apr 9, 2013
Nemesis wrote:
<quoted text> I'm 38 years old and agree The Beatles are terribly overrated! They gained their popularity from all the little school girls who loved them for their looks like the teens of today liked/like The Backstreet Boys or Justin Beiber.
A bunch of poorly written garbage fronted by some good looking teen sensations!
I've listened to death metal bands that have more talent than the Beatles.'Nuff said
What did you expect Brian Epstein to market them to, Bing Crosby fans? The Beatles had to play to an audience that would appreciate British Invasion music. Besides, AC/DC and other established rock bands sell their logos and/or likeness for different products, just like Justin Bieber. Of course, the difference is that no one will know who Justin Bieber or One Direction were fifty years from now. Death Metal is completely dead today. That was the eighties. Who actually plays Slayer, King Diamond or any of that crap now? That shit is still underground and only appeals to a few long haired misfits with faded tattoos. More talented than The Beatles?

Location hidden

#969 Apr 9, 2013
Buster Bursipes wrote:
<quoted text>Damn that's funny long haired misfits with faded tattoos.Only you forgot the rings through their eye brows. Slayer Dokken groups like that were a dime a dozen in the 80's most never lasted over 12 years some didn't even last 5 years.
Dokken wasn't death metal, Bubba. But none of that eighties Heavy Metal or hair band shit has held up in the passage of time. There are still some balding hold outs from that era that refuse to give it up. They look ridiculous. Kids today don't seem to like it and after hearing it again, I certainly hear how much its aged. But The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix and some other classic bands never go out of style. It was the music, the lyrics, the performances that gave them lasting quality that sets them apart from any other generation in rock history. Of course, not everybody is going to agree. Who would still want to listen to thrashing noise with childish lyrics about Satan, killing, decaying corpses, graveyards and Hell? So boring. Even Black Sabbath and Ozzy sound dated. It is going back too far in time.
Poppa Jivebones

Bothell, WA

#970 Apr 9, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Dokken wasn't death metal, Bubba. But none of that eighties Heavy Metal or hair band shit has held up in the passage of time. There are still some balding hold outs from that era that refuse to give it up. They look ridiculous. Kids today don't seem to like it and after hearing it again, I certainly hear how much its aged. But The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix and some other classic bands never go out of style. It was the music, the lyrics, the performances that gave them lasting quality that sets them apart from any other generation in rock history. Of course, not everybody is going to agree. Who would still want to listen to thrashing noise with childish lyrics about Satan, killing, decaying corpses, graveyards and Hell? So boring. Even Black Sabbath and Ozzy sound dated. It is going back too far in time.
Funny how the Doors always remained popular like Jimi Hendrix only a few groups could do that. Steppenwolf wasn't able to do that. Even Creedence Clearwater faded away.Santana seems to keep reinventing himself.The Stones just keep on Rolling. LOl

Location hidden

#971 Apr 9, 2013
Poppa Jivebones wrote:
<quoted text>Funny how the Doors always remained popular like Jimi Hendrix only a few groups could do that. Steppenwolf wasn't able to do that. Even Creedence Clearwater faded away.Santana seems to keep reinventing himself.The Stones just keep on Rolling. LOl
The Doors and Jimi Hendrix are still pretty cool.

It is Jimi's turn to shine today though.

The "People, Angels And Hell" CD is quite amazing.

The Doors with Jim Morrison left behind a lot of unused material.

My wife and my dog hate them both. Headphones, Bubba.

The Stones are old and finished.

Not interested in seeing them try and do it one more time.

Santana is like Eric Clapton. Still putting out new albums.
Poppa Jivebones

Bothell, WA

#972 Apr 9, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
The Doors and Jimi Hendrix are still pretty cool.
It is Jimi's turn to shine today though.
The "People, Angels And Hell" CD is quite amazing.
The Doors with Jim Morrison left behind a lot of unused material.
My wife and my dog hate them both. Headphones, Bubba.
The Stones are old and finished.
Not interested in seeing them try and do it one more time.
Santana is like Eric Clapton. Still putting out new albums.
I think Santana and Clapton are both great and two of the best guitar players out there that are still around.I rate Joe Walsh pretty high also I saw him last summer and he was great.
victor

United States

#973 Apr 9, 2013
Whenever I read about saying this and saying that about the Beatles I smile and give an invisible wink to all my fellow Beatles out there and think well here's another one who missed it you see its not their success or abilities , its how their music touched us through its vast range of emotions and style ,how almost magically their songs captured or inspired my moods at the time. Its personal my friend. As far as their legacy history has spoken.

Location hidden

#974 Apr 9, 2013
Poppa Jivebones wrote:
<quoted text>I think Santana and Clapton are both great and two of the best guitar players out there that are still around.I rate Joe Walsh pretty high also I saw him last summer and he was great.
I'm aware of what Clapton and Santana could do. But I don't like everything they ever did. I was never big on The Eagles because they were so over played and Joe Walsh really wasn't my generation. It's like the weird stuff Neil Young put out. I would have to say that Jimi Hendrix impresses me the most today. I am really stunned by the songs on the new Hendrix release that I can not see any other guitarist matching him. The disc is that good.
victor

United States

#975 Apr 9, 2013
Ps George Martin was an just an expert polisher of a already exquisite diamond pps listen to the songs NOT played on the radio
Bubba

Bothell, WA

#976 Apr 9, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm aware of what Clapton and Santana could do. But I don't like everything they ever did. I was never big on The Eagles because they were so over played and Joe Walsh really wasn't my generation. It's like the weird stuff Neil Young put out. I would have to say that Jimi Hendrix impresses me the most today. I am really stunned by the songs on the new Hendrix release that I can not see any other guitarist matching him. The disc is that good.
Jimi Hendrix was a one of a kind. Joe Walsh solo albums are good.I've heard parts of the new Hendrix some I liked some sounded about the same as his old stuff.He was like the Beatles better in the studio than Live.Usually Live he was too high to play really sweet.Stevie Ray is the closest I've ever heard to Hendrix.Joe Bonamassa is the newest guitar slinger now. He's ok but I like Warren Haynes and Dicky Betts
Bubba

Bothell, WA

#977 Apr 9, 2013
victor wrote:
Whenever I read about saying this and saying that about the Beatles I smile and give an invisible wink to all my fellow Beatles out there and think well here's another one who missed it you see its not their success or abilities , its how their music touched us through its vast range of emotions and style ,how almost magically their songs captured or inspired my moods at the time. Its personal my friend. As far as their legacy history has spoken.
The Beatles music touched us all in the 60's. I still enjoy watching Yellow Submarine now and then. Their Legacy has spoken in volumes no doubt.The only ones who claim they were overrated are the ones who weren't around or just didn't appreciate the magic they created with their music.
Nemesis

Ardsley, NY

#978 Apr 10, 2013
Vern Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>You are a 38 year old moron Metal Head.The Beatles had perfect harmonies and got better and better as they continued on.Yes girls liked them but so did millions of guys that knew good music when they heard it.Poorly written garbage is just what Heavy Metal is backed by angry vocals.Now that's overrated for sure. Death Metal yeah the sooner it died the better.Just like disco.
Beatles blow! Get over it stupid!

Location hidden

#979 Apr 10, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Jimi Hendrix was a one of a kind. Joe Walsh solo albums are good.I've heard parts of the new Hendrix some I liked some sounded about the same as his old stuff.He was like the Beatles better in the studio than Live.Usually Live he was too high to play really sweet.Stevie Ray is the closest I've ever heard to Hendrix.Joe Bonamassa is the newest guitar slinger now. He's ok but I like Warren Haynes and Dicky Betts
Jimi's playing on the new disc is incredible. Quite different than most of his other stuff. His singing and vocals are even inspired. And these songs were put out before after Hendrix's death but in a few cases, they are alternate versions from the vaults with the original musicians in the studio. Since I've never heard the long deleted early seventies post death Hendrix vinyl titles, they are completely new to me. "Midnight Lightening" "Crash Landing" and "War Heroes" all featured overdubbed studio musicians. I'm not really sure why they felt the need to do that because these previously unheard tracks are fantastic. A must for fans of rock guitar or classic rock. Some of the materiel sounds unfinished but it certainly offers amazing insights into what Jimi was working on and what he would've sounded like had he continued beyond 1970. By far the best rock CD I've heard in years. The strong single "Somewhere" is timeless like Hendrix came back from the dead and recorded it in 2013.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! (Dec '08) Aug 16 RICK 12,901
News The Rise and Fall of Phil Spector (Apr '09) Jun '17 SLICK PUTZ PENCE 2
News Mourners pay tribute to Judge Barron (Dec '08) May '17 In the know 14
News The worst idea the Beatles ever had May '17 Declining Popularity 1
News Satellite radio's SiriusXM is debuting Beatles ... May '17 Declining Popularity 2
Poll The Beatles vs Led Zeppelin (Sep '11) May '17 Declining Popularity 102
Poll Is Ringo's Nose bigger than Mick Jagger's Lips? (Oct '07) May '17 Atsa Lotsa Teefs 28
More from around the web