The Beatles Are Overrated
The Guest

Moscow, ID

#909 Jan 30, 2013
Good evening. What song should I listen to on Youtube.com tonight?
Poppa Jivebones

Seattle, WA

#910 Jan 30, 2013
The Guest wrote:
Good evening. What song should I listen to on Youtube.com tonight?
The whole entire concert of the Guess Who running back through Canada is on you-tube now. A very good concert from start to finish.Live from their home town Winnipeg filmed in 2000.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#911 Jan 30, 2013
Peso wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, because the Beatles are so complex xD Maybe George Martin just a little...
But you´re right, instead of complexity, I should have said artistical integrity and quality.
Hey Peso I used to have that poster of Frank Zapper on the crapper call PHI-ZAPPA-Crappa have you ever seen it? I used to try to listen to his music but never really got into it. Now his son Dweezil performs it but nothing I'd pay to see. Might go if it was a free show. Dweezil doesn't do anything for me.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#912 Jan 30, 2013
Poppa Jivebones wrote:
<quoted text>The whole entire concert of the Guess Who running back through Canada is on you-tube now. A very good concert from start to finish.Live from their home town Winnipeg filmed in 2000.
Hey buttwipe you sure are quick to judge judgepacker numbnuts!
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#913 Jan 30, 2013
Come on moron here is another post for you stupid ass to judge come on boy you might miss it.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#914 Jan 30, 2013
Racy,Mean, and disagree who cares ignoramus fisheyed fool.
strangebru

Philadelphia, PA

#915 Feb 2, 2013
beatles yes
strangebru

Philadelphia, PA

#916 Feb 2, 2013
I have been a huge fan of the Beatles since 1963. But as you can see from my name, I am also a clapton fan, of the early clapton. I have studied his style, I've played guitar for 50 years, I learned most of his lics, Crossroads, Have you ever loved a woman (on layla), While my guitar, etc. Been in Clapton tribute bands, but I am in a Beatles tribute band now. Thats my background.
I understand sunshine1982's opinion, and in some aspects agree. BUT, unfortunately, its not that he's young, its that he doesnt have the perspective of the music at the time the beatles broke out in England and America in 1963 and 1964. They WERE a pop group then and have to be assesed as such. The thing that perspective gives, is that, the sound of other bands at the time was not of a strong driving force nature. The beatles acquired this from the very long and demanding hours they played in Hamberg Germany; it was demanded of them. This driving force is what was new and earth shattering at the time. No one at the time had ever heard anything like it, AND along with that they had these incredible harmonies, and infectious tunes. This is what made them stand out. When you look back at those songs compared to today, with todays perspective, they do NOT sound out of the ordinary, in fact some seem less than ordinary, but at the time, they were, as I said, earth shattering. This is the only way to look at it, in perspective to the times, they were at the forefront of a NEW sound, and everyone else was trying to catch up, but they kept on changing. EACH album,(although now does not sound earth shattering compared to todays music) was a new earth shattering experience. Everyone was surprised by the sound and songs, each time an album came out. Yes there were some mediocre songs, but what do you expect when they were churning them out a mile a minute. They had written so many songs they didnt know what to do with them. AN example is "World without Love". They gave that to Peter and Gordon and it went to number one for several weeks, no one knew it was written by Mccartney at the time. When they came out with Rubber Soul, they changed the direction yet again. Yes they were influenced by Dylan lyrically, but he was influenced by them musically. Everyone is influenced by everyone else. The album was so different, that many of my friends who were long time Beatles fans, said to me at the time, "that's it, I'm done with them, its too weird". That album grew on people and is now considered one of their greatest. They of course moved on after that to such different and incredible stuff as "Tomorrow never Knows", "Within you Without You". They transitioned from POP group to real ARTISTS. No one was doing stuff like that at the time, AT THE TIME! Yet if you look back from today’s perspective, nothing seems earth shattering, there have been many interesting and great songs, epics, ballads, written since. A lot of people know the Beatles from just the so called “White” album, which John Lennon said himself, in an interview, that it was just a bunch of left over crap thrown together into a double album, I personally agree with him. But the point is that the Beatles WERE on the forefront of something new MOST of the time. They were ARTISTS, creating new things that a lot of groups copied and made the Beatles stuff look like just another band. But it’s the perspective of the times that shows that they stood out because they were doing it first, and still stand out today by the people WITH that perspective and anyone who takes the time to understand this (which I agree is not easy if you were not there), like many modern artists who feel that the Beatles were real artists, and they were.
the kook

Carlsbad, CA

#918 Feb 6, 2013
The Beatles were BEYOND overrated!

And Lennon wasnt the decent singer, it was McCartney, Lennon was TERRIBLE!!

If you wanna hear the best band from the 60s get a Beach Boys album, Pet Sounds, Today, Little Deuce Coupe, Summer Days, Wild Honey, Sunflower, Holland etc...... theyre all good.

Brian Wilson was who the Beatles emulated and wanted to be, and even tho the Beatles were marketed like crazy they never achieved Wilson's brilliance.

The Beatles were quantity, the Beach Boys were quality.
Buford Frutner

Seattle, WA

#919 Feb 6, 2013
the kook wrote:
If you wanna hear the best band from the 60s get a Beach Boys album, Pet Sounds, Today, Little Deuce Coupe, Summer Days, Wild Honey, Sunflower, Holland etc...... theyre all good.
Brian Wilson was who the Beatles emulated and wanted to be, and even tho the Beatles were marketed like crazy they never achieved Wilson's brilliance.
The Ruttles were way beyond overrated! If you want to hear the best band from the 60's get a Beach bum album, Wet sounds,Summer Haze, Polland.... they're all good. Brent Williams who was the Ruttles emulated and wanted to be,and even tho the Ruttles were marketed like crazy they never achieved Williams brilliance. The Ruttles were quaranteened, The Beach bums were qualified.
the kook

Carlsbad, CA

#920 Feb 7, 2013
HA!
Chilz

Houston, TX

#921 Feb 7, 2013
The Beach Boy were a gret band with many great songs but that doesn't take anything from the Beatles.
Both bands produced quite a bit of great music and both had internal dramas.
Rubber Soul inspired Pet Sounds and Pet Sounds inspired Sgt. Pepper.
chris

United States

#922 Feb 7, 2013
the kook wrote:
Are you kidding me? John Lennon had one of the best singing voices ever. Just because Wilson could hit highs like a little girl, doesn't make him a better vocalist than John Lennon.
Buford Frutner

Bothell, WA

#923 Feb 7, 2013
Comparing the Beach Boys to the Beatles is like comparing a BMW to Well made Chryler Imperial both are great cars but different. The Beach bOYS HAD GREAT Harmonies but so did the Beatles.The Beach boys grew their hair longer after the Beatles came out. Brian and Paul are both great composers. Both bands are still enjoyed after 45 years. The Beatles did sell more records even though the Beach Boys made more albums.I say enjoy both groups and stop the stupid comparisons because they mean nothing when you can be a fan of both groups.
chris

United States

#924 Feb 7, 2013
the kook wrote:
Everyone likes to mention Pet Sounds as being the one great album by the Beach Boys. Most bands are lucky to have one or two good or great albums. But, the Beatles have at least 6-7 great albums, & the rest are at least very good. And, the only time the Beatles tried to emulate the Beach Boys, was on Back in the USSR.
Sean

Tokyo, Japan

#925 Feb 11, 2013
It's funny that people argue this. The Beatles are the best selling band of all time e cause they were a pop boy band that became popular with the largest age cohort ever seen in the history of the world, that also went on to enjoy the greatest increase in disposable income that allowed them to purchase albums without true regards to cost. It's that simple.

If the band entered the mainstream 10 years earlier, do you think ex GI's would have loved them as much as their 15 year old children did a decade later? Obviously not. Their popularity was not a question of musical talent (which don't take my post to imply they didn't have), but rather fortuitous timing. They lasted seven years, not exactly a long stretch and right through the peak music as a symbol of counter culture.

And so younger generations don't care for the pop music of their parents, which was popular for a set of cultural reasons that don't exist today. Who would have guessed? My kids won't care for tupac (far superior lyricist in my opinion), Stevie ray Vaughn (superior guitarist IMO ), but then again, different generations care about different things.
the kook

Carlsbad, CA

#927 Feb 11, 2013
chris wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone likes to mention Pet Sounds as being the one great album by the Beach Boys. Most bands are lucky to have one or two good or great albums. But, the Beatles have at least 6-7 great albums, & the rest are at least very good. And, the only time the Beatles tried to emulate the Beach Boys, was on Back in the USSR.
ONE great album? Are you joking or just ignorant??
The Beach Boys had many many great albums- Pet Sounds was just the most renown.
the kook

Carlsbad, CA

#928 Feb 11, 2013
chris wrote:
<quoted text>Are you kidding me? John Lennon had one of the best singing voices ever. Just because Wilson could hit highs like a little girl, doesn't make him a better vocalist than John Lennon.
One again- are you joking or just ignorant?
Lennon was NOT a good singer, he was ok, nothing incredible. All the Beach Boys were great singers, specially Carl.
Goober

Seattle, WA

#929 Feb 11, 2013
the kook wrote:
<quoted text>
ONE great album? Are you joking or just ignorant??
The Beach Boys had many many great albums- Pet Sounds was just the most renown.
The Beach Bums had many great records-Bumming around at the Beach
Spare changing at the soda shop
Drinking wine under the Boardwalk-Carl Milton had a great voice for bumming smokes.
Bite me

Kidderminster, UK

#930 Feb 12, 2013
SUCK IT wrote:
I agree, tehehe.
Go back to listening to Justine beaver

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hear Joe and Jill Biden's Thoughtful Summer 201... Aug 16 K-DJ 1
my beatles friends (Nov '07) Aug 16 Greg 96
News Keith Richards criticises The Beatles as a live... Aug 12 Greg 2
Why do people hate Yoko Ono? (Sep '09) Aug 8 TrippyHippie 289
News Why "Revolver" still matters: The 50th annivers... Aug 8 Greg 1
Poll The Beatles VS. Elton John Aug 1 Greg 2
Dr BLT's Song Sequel to LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DI... Jul '16 Bruce 1
More from around the web