Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#887 Jan 29, 2013
Landsis wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right let's forget that Rubber Soul was an influence on Brian Wilson and that Brian Wilson was in tears when he heard "Strawberry Fields Forever". The Beatles were much more diverse than The Beach Boys. The Beatles were building upon many varied traditions, evoking the British Musical Hall and vaudeville, nineteenth-century parlor songs, 1960s rock, East Indian classical music, electronically produced sound collage, selective orchestration, aleatory (or chance) procedures, and musique concrète.
Zappa Art-Rock-Pop more like derivative of Varese.
Yeah, and Pet Sounds is Paul mc Cartney´s favorite album and he also was in tears when he heard God Only Knows. So what?

The Beatles maybe are diverse on The White Album. But you know The Beach Boys discography? From Pet Sounds onwards they are pretty diverse and interesting. Wild Honey, Sunflower, Surf´s up.

Yeah, It´s well known that Zappa was influenced by Varese, Boullez, Bartok, Stockhausen and avant-garde composers like that.

But I was talking about rock music here. Art-ROCK.

The Beatles didn´t pioneer anything in rock, they took things from underground rock artists and made them popular.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#888 Jan 29, 2013
Pet Sounds is greater and more complex musically than any Beatles album. Anybody with a trained ear would know that.

Rubber Soul was just a colection of simple folk-pop songs.

Pet Sounds is like a pop symphony. The Beatles wished they´d be as talented as a composer like Brian Wilson.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#889 Jan 29, 2013
Landsis wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no balance in what you are saying. The Beatles were influenced by Dylan but it was the other way around to.
Robert Zimmerman, a musician who was influenced and later influenced The Beatles once said:“Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid...I knew they were pointing the direction of where music had to go."
She's A Woman was a direct influence on Bob Dylan's song "Obviously 5 Believers" which appeared on his 1966 album Blonde On Blonde. Bob Dylan "Just Like A Woman" was his answer to The Beatles "Girl".
The big difference is that The Dylan influence on The Beatles is DIRECT. They became huge fans after they saw him on tour. Lennon himself call some of his songs as his "Dylan-Period"

Beatles influence on Dylan...The song "I want you" on Blonde on Blonde is the only beatlesque dylan song I can think about...

"Just like a woman" doesn´t seem beatlesque to me at all, but if you said so...

Dylan was influenced to go electric mostly cause of The Byrds...and yeah, the british invasion bands like The Beatles, Kinks, etc.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#890 Jan 29, 2013
Landis wrote:
<quoted text>
Do me a favor I have listened 13th Floor Elevators, The Soft Machine or Red Krayola by the way all INFLUENCED BY THE BEATLES by the way.
Tell me you´re joking.

Those were real bands, not bubblegum pop for the masses.

Please, What influence they took from the Beatles xD ¿The Chuck Berry sound?¿Buddy Holly?

The Betles were like a retro-band from the 50´s compared to those bands.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#891 Jan 29, 2013
Landis wrote:
"Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles beats all of them to punch.
If you want real electronic-rock pioneers, go listen to The Silver Apples.
Petro

Everett, WA

#892 Jan 29, 2013
Peso wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and Pet Sounds is Paul mc Cartney´s favorite album and he also was in tears when he heard God Only Knows. So what?
The Beatles maybe are diverse on The White Album. But you know The Beach Boys discography? From Pet Sounds onwards they are pretty diverse and interesting. Wild Honey, Sunflower, Surf´s up.
Yeah, It´s well known that Zappa was influenced by Varese, Boullez, Bartok, Stockhausen and avant-garde composers like that.
But I was talking about rock music here. Art-ROCK.
The Beatles didn´t pioneer anything in rock, they took things from underground rock artists and made them popular.
It's a well known fact Zapper was influenced by Vidal Sasson, Bulldyke Lez,Barcock,Stockholm,and avalanch-gardians But I'm talking about Fart-Rock.
Petro

Everett, WA

#893 Jan 29, 2013
Peso wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me you´re joking.
Those were real bands, not bubblegum pop for the masses.
Please, What influence they took from the Beatles xD ¿The Chuck Berry sound?¿Buddy Holly?
The Betles were like a retro-band from the 50´s compared to those bands.
Where can I get a Betels Album ?
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#894 Jan 29, 2013
Actually, It´s Betles.

Try again.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#895 Jan 29, 2013
I will call you Everett.

So, You´re the only one who post here?
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#896 Jan 29, 2013
Petro wrote:
<quoted text>It's a well known fact Zapper was influenced by Vidal Sasson, Bulldyke Lez,Barcock,Stockholm,and avalanch-gardians But I'm talking about Fart-Rock.
Don´t be angry that you´re musically ignorant. It was obvious from the first time I read your posts, but don´t you worry Bubba Everett.

It´s not important in life.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#897 Jan 29, 2013
Landis wrote:
"Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles beats all of them to punch. Instead of a progression of chords in support of the melodic lines, we hear a sustained drone and an ostinato bass pattern. The most novel sounds here were made by modifying tape recordings. Prerecorded tape loops were fed into the studio's mixing console producing the "seagull" and "whooping" noises that fade in and out of a sonic montage. This was more advanced and influential than anything than The Velvet Underground who I like.
Like everything with The Beatles they took that from a real artist. They just ripped-off Stockhausen, cause McCartney was listening to his work and introduced it to the other Beatles. So?

More advanced that the Velvet Underground?? LOL you only know the Beatles and nothing else right? The Beatles were still doing 3 minute pop songs when the Velvet underground were doing noise-rock like European Son or Sister Ray.
Petro

Everett, WA

#898 Jan 29, 2013
Peso wrote:
Actually, It´s Betles.
Try again.
Bet less and win more cash.
Bubba

Everett, WA

#900 Jan 29, 2013
Peso wrote:
<quoted text>
Like everything with The Beatles they took that from a real artist. They just ripped-off Stockhausen, cause McCartney was listening to his work and introduced it to the other Beatles. So?
More advanced that the Velvet Underground?? LOL you only know the Beatles and nothing else right? The Beatles were still doing 3 minute pop songs when the Velvet underground were doing noise-rock like European Son or Sister Ray.
Where are the Velvet underground now? How many albums did they do? How many of their crappy records sold a million? Didn't Nico die of a heroin overdose? My older brother had that album with the banana on it. It sucked because Lou Reed can't carry a tune if his life depended on it.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#901 Jan 30, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Where are the Velvet underground now?
Well, Sterling Morrison is dead, and Lou Reed and John Cale can´t stand each other since 1969.
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>How many albums did they do?
4 albums (I don´t count Squeeze as a VU album) The two first albums are the best, great artsy albums (Velvet Underground and Nico and White Light/White Heat).
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>How many of their crappy records sold a million?

Again for the million time:¿When commercial success and popularity equals musical quality?
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Didn't Nico die of a heroin overdose?

She, like her fellow VU pals, did a lot of drugs. But she actually died of a Brain hemorrhage, she fell from her bicycle and hit her head. Her album Chealsea Girl from 1967 is great. The Marble Index is great too, but less accesible than her debut.
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>My older brother had that album with the banana on it. It sucked because Lou Reed can't carry a tune if his life depended on it.
Nico sang on that album too. And I like Lou Reed´s sound.

Yeah, his voice is not technically good, but the VU were an avant-garde rock group...their style was noisey and chaotic. A Elvis-Orbison type of singer wouldn´t have worked.

But you heard the popular Lou Reed songs "Perfect Day" and "Pale Blue Eyes"? right? It´s impossible for anyone to dislike those classics.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#902 Jan 30, 2013
And besides, Lennon or Mc Cartney´s voices were just ok. There were obviously a lot of better voices in the sixties.
Landis

Kearny, NJ

#903 Jan 30, 2013
Peso wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want real electronic-rock pioneers, go listen to The Silver Apples.
Nothing wrong with the Silver Apples but songs like "Tomorrow Never Knows" by the way which pre-dates The Silver Apples has had a much more of an influence than anything The Sliver Apples ever did.
Landis

Kearny, NJ

#904 Jan 30, 2013
Peso wrote:
And besides, Lennon or Mc Cartney´s voices were just ok. There were obviously a lot of better voices in the sixties.
As lead singers Lennon or McCartney were considered among the best and as lead singers they were much better than say The Beach Boys or Mic of The Rolling Stones
Landis

Kearny, NJ

#905 Jan 30, 2013
Peso wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious every band has influences and you could say The Velvet Underground were ripping off Lamonte Young and Bob Dylan. "European Son" is a joke and it's no way in terms of Noise-Rock is as adavanced as tracks like "Tomorrow Never Knows" or "It's All Too Much".

I like The Velvet Underground but please in terms of complexity stop comparing a two-three chord band to The Beatles it makes you look nothing about music.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#907 Jan 30, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>The only song I ever hear by Lou Reed is Take a walk on the wildside. The others you mentioned I've never heard. I don't like take a walk on the wildside because of his funky voice.
They´re not anything like Walk on the Wildside. Go listen to them. Superb songs, and he sounds really nice.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#908 Jan 30, 2013
Landis wrote:
<quoted text>
I like The Velvet Underground but please in terms of complexity stop comparing a two-three chord band to The Beatles it makes you look nothing about music.
Yeah, because the Beatles are so complex xD Maybe George Martin just a little...

But you´re right, instead of complexity, I should have said artistical integrity and quality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
150 Best Selling Artists in the World! (Dec '08) Dec 24 Octopus 12,818
The better Beatle: John Lennon or Paul McCartne... Dec 24 Greg 1
Flashback | John And Yoko's 1971 Holiday Gift F... Dec 20 Antonella Francesca 1
The year after the Beatles met E (Mar '14) Dec 20 Little monster 199
John Lennon's 1980 Sunglasses: Still available? (Aug '08) Dec 15 shawnboushie 26
Who was the most talented Beatle in your opinion? (Nov '07) Nov '14 Greg 82
[News] Drake Passes The Beatles With Latest Bil... Nov '14 TheAfroHedgehog 3
More from around the web