Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Popular doesnīt equal quality. Generally,(like we see in todayīs radio charts) itīs the opposite.

Thereīs have been so many books and articles because The Beatles are extremely popular and a brand like Coca-Cola. Anything about the beatles will sold well, is easy money.

Thatīs why there are not many books of more genuine and much better, complex bands like 13th Floor Elevators, The Soft Machine or Red Krayola. Hey, it took a hell lot of time for The Velvet Underground to achieve some credit they deserved back then in the sixties, and they still deserve much more because any respectable music lover would know that they shit on The Beatles. Time will put things in place, separating commercial stuff like The Beatles from the real deal.

Dylan went electric not only cause of The Beatles (And it was The british invasion to be exact, donīt ignore the rest of the bands like The Kinks), it was probably more of The Byrds covering his songs. He wanted to have a contemporary sound. And John Lennon in the years 64-65 was a Dylan fanboy, rip-off. Iīm a Loser was his first intent to copy Dylan and Norwegian Wood was probably his better attempt. Dylan answered this song and mock Lennonīs rip-offs of him with "4 Time Around".

Landis, there was much better and interesting music in the 60īs than The Beatles (and Iīm not even talking about The Stones, Byrds, Kinks or The Who). Try to expand your music knowledge and come back later.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Landis wrote:
Songs like “Eleanor Rigby” and “A Day in the Life” expanded the range of rock music and people started to associate those songs to high art.
Artists like The Beach Boys or Zappa had done entire albums of art-rock-pop a full year before a song like A Day in The Life (More of a George Martinīs creation anyway)

Eleanor Rigby is just a melancholy pop song.
Pepto

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Peso wrote:
<quoted text>
Artists like The Beach Boys or Zappa had done entire albums of art-rock-pop a full year before a song like A Day in The Life (More of a George Martinīs creation anyway)
Where is Zappa today? Not remembered after 40 years huh? Eleanor Rigby was a classic By Sir Paul not George Martin bonehead! Not very many remember Velvet Underground and Lou Reed can't sing worth a crap. Never could.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

A hurt beatles fan-boy.

Learn how to read and then get back to me. I said A Day In The Life was more of a George Martinīs creation, Not Eleanor Rigby.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Pepto wrote:
<quoted text>Where is Zappa today? Not remembered after 40 years huh? Not very many remember Velvet Underground and Lou Reed can't sing worth a crap. Never could.
And Thatīs why rock music is still a popular contest and not a serious art.

But like I said, time probably will put things in the right place.
Pepto

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Peso wrote:
A hurt beatles fan-boy.
Learn how to read and then get back to me. I said A Day In The Life was more of a George Martinīs creation, Not Eleanor Rigby.
Oh my did I make Peso upset or something? Maybe you need Pepto Bismo.
Hagar

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Peso wrote:
Popular doesnīt equal quality. Generally,(like we see in todayīs radio charts) itīs the opposite.
Thereīs have been so many books and articles because The Beatles are extremely popular and a brand like Coca-Cola. Anything about the beatles will sold well, is easy money.
Thatīs why there are not many books of more genuine and much better, complex bands like 13th Floor Elevators, The Soft Machine or Red Krayola. Hey, it took a hell lot of time for The Velvet Underground to achieve some credit they deserved back then in the sixties, and they still deserve much more because any respectable music lover would know that they shit on The Beatles. Time will put things in place, separating commercial stuff like The Beatles from the real deal.
Dylan went electric not only cause of The Beatles (And it was The british invasion to be exact, donīt ignore the rest of the bands like The Kinks), it was probably more of The Byrds covering his songs. He wanted to have a contemporary sound. And John Lennon in the years 64-65 was a Dylan fanboy, rip-off. Iīm a Loser was his first intent to copy Dylan and Norwegian Wood was probably his better attempt. Dylan answered this song and mock Lennonīs rip-offs of him with "4 Time Around".
Landis, there was much better and interesting music in the 60īs than The Beatles (and Iīm not even talking about The Stones, Byrds, Kinks or The Who). Try to expand your music knowledge and come back later.
Any respectable music lover would know that Velvet Underground were shit and their lead singer never could sing worth a crap. Only thing cool about them was their name.Lennon's first attempt to copy Dylan was You've got to hide your love away.I'm a Loser was never an attempt to be like Dylan neither was Norwegian Wood.Try to expand your knowledge Dylan lover boy.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Funny thing is that I like The Beatles.

But their average fans live like in a particular perfect beatles dream world I donīt care.

Let it be. xD
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

I mean, I like some songs.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Hagar wrote:
Lennon's first attempt to copy Dylan was You've got to hide your love away.I'm a Loser was never an attempt to be like Dylan neither was Norwegian Wood.Try to expand your knowledge Dylan lover boy.
"You've got to hide your love away", thatīs right, thatīs one of Lennonīs "Dylan songs" but Iīm A loser" is too. I donīt remember which one come first.

And Norwegian wood is another. Dylan parodied Lennonīs Norwegian Wood with 4th Time Around. 4th Time Around was Dylan doing Lennon doing Dylan.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

I mean, I was right. "I`m a Loser" from Beatles for Sale came first. That song was the first attempt of Lennon to be like Dylan.
Pedro

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Peso wrote:
<quoted text>
"You've got to hide your love away", thatīs right, thatīs one of Lennonīs "Dylan songs" but Iīm A loser" is too. I donīt remember which one come first.
And Norwegian wood is another. Dylan parodied Lennonīs Norwegian Wood with 4th Time Around. 4th Time Around was Dylan doing Lennon doing Dylan.
Dylan probably wished he had a voice like Lennon did. The older Dylan gets the worse he sounds.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Pedro wrote:
<quoted text>Dylan probably wished he had a voice like Lennon did. The older Dylan gets the worse he sounds.
Thatīs true. I agree, specially with your last statement.

But we can also say that Lennon probably wished he had a voice like Carl Wilson, Tim Buckley or Roy Orbison.
Pedro

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Peso wrote:
<quoted text>
Thatīs true. I agree, specially with your last statement.
But we can also say that Lennon probably wished he had a voice like Carl Wilson, Tim Buckley or Roy Orbison.
Orbison was unique no doubt.

Since: Apr 12

Hunt Valley, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Peso wrote:
Could be that the bands that you mentioned,in reality, were not that good.. And they were nowhere close to the Beatles. Complexity or interesting doesn't equal better, and no one was taking anything away from the Stone, etc... They are just second tier when put up against the Beatles...
Poppa Jivebones

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Son of SickNTired wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be that the bands that you mentioned,in reality, were not that good.. And they were nowhere close to the Beatles. Complexity or interesting doesn't equal better, and no one was taking anything away from the Stone, etc... They are just second tier when put up against the Beatles...
That's right on Son of SickNtired. Stones are great but not as great as the Beatles were.
Landis

Kearny, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Peso wrote:
Do me a favor I have listened 13th Floor Elevators, The Soft Machine or Red Krayola by the way all influenced by The Beatles by the way. I don't find them at all interesting compared to The Beatles. I find The Beatles use of East Indian classical music, electronically produced sound collage, selective orchestration, aleatory (or chance) procedures, and musique concrčte much more innovative and interesting than your so called more complex bands. Geez there are more time signatures on "Good Morning Good Morning" than any Zappa song I know of and more sections in the Abbey Road than most progressive rock songs.

"Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles beats all of them to punch. Instead of a progression of chords in support of the melodic lines, we hear a sustained drone and an ostinato bass pattern. The most novel sounds here were made by modifying tape recordings. Prerecorded tape loops were fed into the studio's mixing console producing the "seagull" and "whooping" noises that fade in and out of a sonic montage. This was more advanced and influential than anything than The Velvet Underground who I like.
Landsis

Kearny, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Peso wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no balance in what you are saying. The Beatles were influenced by Dylan but it was the other way around to.
Robert Zimmerman, a musician who was influenced and later influenced The Beatles once said:“Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid...I knew they were pointing the direction of where music had to go."
She's A Woman was a direct influence on Bob Dylan's song "Obviously 5 Believers" which appeared on his 1966 album Blonde On Blonde. Bob Dylan "Just Like A Woman" was his answer to The Beatles "Girl".
Landsis

Kearny, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Peso wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right let's forget that Rubber Soul was an influence on Brian Wilson and that Brian Wilson was in tears when he heard "Strawberry Fields Forever". The Beatles were much more diverse than The Beach Boys. The Beatles were building upon many varied traditions, evoking the British Musical Hall and vaudeville, nineteenth-century parlor songs, 1960s rock, East Indian classical music, electronically produced sound collage, selective orchestration, aleatory (or chance) procedures, and musique concrčte.

Zappa Art-Rock-Pop more like derivative of Varese.
Bubba

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Landsis wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right let's forget that Rubber Soul was an influence on Brian Wilson and that Brian Wilson was in tears when he heard "Strawberry Fields Forever". The Beatles were much more diverse than The Beach Boys. The Beatles were building upon many varied traditions, evoking the British Musical Hall and vaudeville, nineteenth-century parlor songs, 1960s rock, East Indian classical music, electronically produced sound collage, selective orchestration, aleatory (or chance) procedures, and musique concrčte.
Zappa Art-Rock-Pop more like derivative of Varese.
You hit the nail on the head and your knowledge of the Beatles is great.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the The Beatles Forum right now

Search the The Beatles Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The year after the Beatles met E Thu Beedle Bug 157
150 Best Selling Artists in the World! (Dec '08) Jul 28 Dennis Hauser 12,746
Portraits of Beatles as Old Men Jul 27 Yerushalimey 1
mel vs. bozo (Feb '10) Jul 26 Looftess 6
Guitarist says McCartney hit 'crazy' high notes... Jul 19 Jimbo 1
Today in Rock: July 14 Jul 14 Will Dockery 1
Why do people hate Yoko Ono? (Sep '09) Jul 9 BeedleBug 281
•••
•••