Lester Crabtree

Monroe, WA

#843 Nov 8, 2012
Daniel wrote:
I like that Buster - very good. It made me chuckle. Thanks. Beatles fans live in a kind of self-deluded idealistic fantasy bubble. If it makes them feel happy and does nobody any harm, then good for them. The rest of us outside the bubble who live in reality can just laugh our heads off at them. It's fun to ridicule Beatles fans.
I like that luster-very good.It made me crackle.Thanks. Beagle fans live in a self-secluded idioctic fancy babble.If it makes them feel sappy and does nodody on the farm,then good for them.The best of us outside the babble who live in real estate can just trash our beds after them.It's fun to ridiclue Beagle fans.
chris

United States

#844 Nov 8, 2012
Daniel wrote:
I like that Buster - very good. It made me chuckle. Thanks. Beatles fans live in a kind of self-deluded idealistic fantasy bubble. If it makes them feel happy and does nobody any harm, then good for them. The rest of us outside the bubble who live in reality can just laugh our heads off at them. It's fun to ridicule Beatles fans.
That's right, were happy in our bubble, it's our happy place. So stay out of it & leave us alone.
Buster Crabtree

Renton, WA

#845 Nov 8, 2012
No trouble inside the Bubble.If you don't like the bubble then go see Barney Rubble on the double.
Greg

Chalkída, Greece

#846 Nov 8, 2012
chris wrote:
<quoted text>That's right, were happy in our bubble, it's our happy place. So stay out of it & leave us alone.
Well, that's a boy, Chris! You match with us. Join the band! The Beatles' family is huge. I feel guilty sometimes because we let this Forum to be occupied by them. But, believe me Chris, we tried hardly for the opposite. It's just that we were-are busy making other plans. Once upon a time, this was a great place with clever people like you, posting.
chris

United States

#847 Nov 8, 2012
Greg wrote:
<quoted text>Well, that's a boy, Chris! You match with us. Join the band! The Beatles' family is huge. I feel guilty sometimes because we let this Forum to be occupied by them. But, believe me Chris, we tried hardly for the opposite. It's just that we were-are busy making other plans. Once upon a time, this was a great place with clever people like you, posting.
Thanks Greg, I've enjoyed some of your postings as well.
NeverBeTheLonely One

San Jose, CA

#848 Nov 20, 2012
This is rubbish. I feel this thread was created solely to put down Beatles fans, which is a low act. Everyone is entitled, and we can love them or not, just don't bring people down because of it!
*Check out Beatlemania Is Forever on Facebook!*
Elmer Jackson

Everett, WA

#849 Nov 20, 2012
Don't put any Elmer fans down either man. Elmer is forever as long as the booze last.
Doc

United States

#850 Dec 7, 2012
Elmer Jackson wrote:
Don't put any Elmer fans down either man. Elmer is forever as long as the booze last.
One word for you Fats: SlimFast. Sedentary fatass.
bigwes95

Salem, OR

#852 Dec 21, 2012
the beatles are far from being overrated. they sold over a billion albums in the 60's, where there wasn't the internet with itunes and all that other stuff, not to mention there were around 4 billoin less people on the earth to sell to, it's like 1 out of every 3 people owned a beatles album. try finding another band that can do that, or even come close to it, and see if they can do it in 7 years like the beatles, there is no comparison to them, they were/are on a level on their own that no one has even come close to matching. present a real argument besides that they had a little bit of help, just like the rolling stones did( their first number one hit was written by john lennon and mccartney in 10 to 20 minutes) you just hate them and can't stand the fact that bands you like pail in comparison to them and that the beatles are regularly rated at number one in any type of best artist or band type thing.
Ballack 13

San Francisco, CA

#853 Jan 3, 2013
Sunshine1982 wrote:
The Beatles were unbelievably popular, but does that mean they were the best? You are actually comparing Harrison to Clapton? Wow! Harrison even said in an interview he was not in Clapton's league! How old are you? The last time I checked 27 was an adult. Just because I don't buy into the mythical Beatles tale doesn't mean I don't know music. I like very few Beatles songs. Just because they are super popular doesn't mean I have to like them. Most people like Mcdonalds food I don't. George Martin was extremely important to the beatles according to lennon giving htem a very innovative sound. Listen to any of their solo albums? I suppose silly love songs is genius. Pink Floyd did piper at the gates of dawn the same year as Beatles Pepper. Tangerine Dream ect. Can Harrison compare to jimi hendix? I know music. Do you know who Debussy or ravel are? How many composers hail from europe from the 17th century. Name a muddy waters song that the rolling stones recorded. I know music. You are narrow minded.
My friend, just because the Beatles were popular it does not make them overrated. Clapton was obviously more skilled no need to get worked up. however he did have more time on the guitar if you know what I'm saying. Also Mr. 27 your age dosn't matter at all. you could have a bad taste in music at 10 or at 70, it really dosn't matter. Lennon/ McCartney where the greatest songwriters ever( including Bob Dylan) period. Mcartney harmonized songs and made them beautiful. George ( being in my opinion, top 15 guitarists ever) contributed with his raw talent to the Beatles. he never played any unnecessary guitar lick. Ringo, hey you got me, but he is a damn fine drummer. lastly it's ** i suppose silly love songs ARE genius. smart one.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#855 Jan 11, 2013
Frank Zappa,Velvet Underground,Captain Beefheart, Beach Boys,Red Krayola,13th Floor Elevators,Silver Apples,Tim Buckley,Pink Floyd with Syd Barret,Can...

Just a few contemporaries rock artists during the beatles era that were terrific,complex, artistic, experimental and innovative.

Then on the other hand you got...Beatlemania...LOL

The Beatles musically speaking were the boy band of their time, like a 60´s Jonas Brothers.

And don´t give the "oh, It´s from Rubber Soul onwards that they became great"
They were average (just ok) from the beggining to the end, In their early days they were ripping off Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly and motown...after that Dylan´s lyrics (they wish),Beach Boys, Zappa and others.

The Beatles were not great, they´re just ok, like Zappa said. And obviously painfully overrated.
Cragbert

Everett, WA

#856 Jan 11, 2013
Peso wrote:
Frank Zappa,Velvet Underground,Captain Beefheart, Beach Boys,Red Krayola,13th Floor Elevators,Silver Apples,Tim Buckley,Pink Floyd with Syd Barret,Can...
Just a few contemporaries rock artists during the beatles era that were terrific,complex, artistic, experimental and innovative.
Then on the other hand you got...Beatlemania...LOL
The Beatles musically speaking were the boy band of their time, like a 60´s Jonas Brothers.
And don´t give the "oh, It´s from Rubber Soul onwards that they became great"
They were average (just ok) from the beggining to the end, In their early days they were ripping off Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly and motown...after that Dylan´s lyrics (they wish),Beach Boys, Zappa and others.
The Beatles were not great, they´re just ok, like Zappa said. And obviously painfully overrated.
(If they were not great then why did they last so long in popularity? Did Zappa last 45 years hell no.Jonas brothers man you don't know squat about music do you?
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#857 Jan 11, 2013
In the early years they were clearly a boy band, with stupid matching haircuts and suits and teenage girls as their fanbase, just like Jonas Brothers, so It´s fair the comparison. I mean, watch the videos, hear the music and see the pictures, don´t fool yourself.

Then they listened to Dylan and The Byrds and started to get "more serious"...and next they listened to Beach Boys, Stockhausen, Zappa, etc. and took that influences for commercial purposes. "We´re only in it for the Money" anyone?
They followed other artists around and took things from them, they were unoriginal.

I was a Beatles fan myself not that far ago, until I started to listen to a shitload of music, not just pop-rock but classsical, jazz, avant garde, electronic, etc.

Then I realized how average they are. Just pop ditties for the masses.¿why they last so long in popularity? Because they were the first musical commercial phenomenon (beatlemania) and huge marketing, of course. Mainstream brainless magazines like Rolling Stone, who thinks if an artist made a lot of money than the others should be the greatest ever.

Funny you say I don´t know about music, when the regular Beatles fan is very musically ignorant, it´s so obvious.
Peso

Montevideo, Uruguay

#858 Jan 11, 2013
I like the Beatles. Some songs are great (and a lot are crap)

I just think they´re ok, and incredibly overrated.
Poppa Jivebones

Seattle, WA

#859 Jan 11, 2013
Peso wrote:
In the early years they were clearly a boy band, with stupid matching haircuts and suits and teenage girls as their fanbase, just like Jonas Brothers, so It´s fair the comparison. I mean, watch the videos, hear the music and see the pictures, don´t fool yourself.
Then they listened to Dylan and The Byrds and started to get "more serious"...and next they listened to Beach Boys, Stockhausen, Zappa, etc. and took that influences for commercial purposes. "We´re only in it for the Money" anyone?
They followed other artists around and took things from them, they were unoriginal.
I was a Beatles fan myself not that far ago, until I started to listen to a shitload of music, not just pop-rock but classsical, jazz, avant garde, electronic, etc.
Then I realized how average they are. Just pop ditties for the masses.¿why they last so long in popularity? Because they were the first musical commercial phenomenon (beatlemania) and huge marketing, of course. Mainstream brainless magazines like Rolling Stone, who thinks if an artist made a lot of money than the others should be the greatest ever.
Funny you say I don´t know about music, when the regular Beatles fan is very musically ignorant, it´s so obvious.
Yeah at first they had a lot of girl fans as well as guys like me. They quickly became one hell of a good band. The Byrds took stuff from Dylan and the Beatles. The Beatles liked the Beachboys harmonies and they had awesome harmonies too. They were very talented and wrote great songs. Now if that's ignorant to you then I say it's obvious you really are just talking out of your butt. The Beatles were innovators and leaders in the British Invation and every band that followed them wanted to be like them.Even the Stones who the Beatles gave them their first hit song to help them out.Zappa was only liked by certain people who liked the wierd off the wall stuff. He was never mainstream and the Beatles evolved into a fantastic band by the time Magical Mystery Tour came out.
chris

United States

#860 Jan 12, 2013
OK all of you who think you're so musically inclined, & want to say the Beatles are overrated, you're entitled to your opinion. But, what you can't say is that the Beatles were just another boy band. If they were just another boy band, then they would've faded into obscurity, & we wouldn't be talking about them now. Name one boy band from the past 10-20 years, that is still extremely popular, & will still be popular 50 years from now. Not to mention, have the cultural impact that the Beatles have had.
The prisoner

Altoona, PA

#862 Jan 25, 2013
Sgt pepper ended rock n roll, Beatles 2, Dylan1
The prison Guard

Everett, WA

#863 Jan 25, 2013
The prisoner wrote:
Sgt pepper ended rock n roll, Beatles 2, Dylan1
Sargent Pepper ended rock and roll? What a dumb statement you get back in your cell until I say so.
Landis

Kearny, NJ

#864 Jan 27, 2013
The Beatles are nowhere near overrated they might be underrated to be honest

Everyone has influences but it does not take away that the majority of people in rock music think The Beatles are it's most influential act or right near the top.

As for Zappa didn't he appear on a Monkees episode so I guees he sold out right? Don't get me wrong I love Zappa but the facts are he didn't resonate with the masses like The Beatles but no one did. Zappa could compose music be wasn't going to compete with the likes of The Beatles or The Rolling Stones in terms of songwriting.

There have been so many books and articles on this topic on the impact of the Beatles that you would think people here on a music forum would know.

By 1965 a whole scene had sprung around the success of the Beatles. Their success gave rise to a full-scale British Invasion as groups like the Rolling Stones, Hollies, The Searchers, The Yardrbirds, The Moody Blues, The Animals, The Kinks, Zombies, The Who, The Dave Clark Five and many others came into the charts around the American and the world. American groups like the Byrds, The Lovin Spoonful and the Beu Brummels were quick to respond. This in turned influenced Bob Dylan to go electric. A transatlantic dialog sprung up because of this and the influences went back and forth. This still is happening today.

This transatlantic dialog shows up strongly between the Beatles and Beach Boys. It starts in earnest with Rubber Soul which inspired Brian Wilson Pet Sound which then influenced Sgt. Pepper which in between was Revolver

The Beatles music is both simple and sophisticated. There music always provided an easy point of entry that hooks us yet subtle and complex enough that set them apart from the mundane. The blend of simplicity and sophistication was key to their commercial and artistic success. They had their own sound and had an uncanny ability to absorb outside influences and integrate them seamlessly into their sound.

The Beatles were not the first to use overdubbing or multitracking it had been around for awhile. But starting with Rubber Soul and peaking in Sgt. Pepper. The Beatles use of it and style achieved tremendous results that they inspired legions of imitators. Songs like “Eleanor Rigby” and “A Day in the Life” expanded the range of rock music and people started to associate those songs to high art. Because of all this the Beatles had a huge influence on the sound of rock music. Rock records from 1962 to 1970 sounded a lot different, they were better produced and offered a lot broader palette of sounds. Yes they were a huge influence though not the only one to merge studio experimention with a strong pop structure which is the primary style in both rock and pop music
Bubba

Everett, WA

#865 Jan 28, 2013
Landis wrote:
The Beatles are nowhere near overrated they might be underrated to be honest
Everyone has influences but it does not take away that the majority of people in rock music think The Beatles are it's most influential act or right near the top.
As for Zappa didn't he appear on a Monkees episode so I guees he sold out right? Don't get me wrong I love Zappa but the facts are he didn't resonate with the masses like The Beatles but no one did. Zappa could compose music be wasn't going to compete with the likes of The Beatles or The Rolling Stones in terms of songwriting.
There have been so many books and articles on this topic on the impact of the Beatles that you would think people here on a music forum would know.
By 1965 a whole scene had sprung around the success of the Beatles. Their success gave rise to a full-scale British Invasion as groups like the Rolling Stones, Hollies, The Searchers, The Yardrbirds, The Moody Blues, The Animals, The Kinks, Zombies, The Who, The Dave Clark Five and many others came into the charts around the American and the world. American groups like the Byrds, The Lovin Spoonful and the Beu Brummels were quick to respond. This in turned influenced Bob Dylan to go electric. A transatlantic dialog sprung up because of this and the influences went back and forth. This still is happening today.
This transatlantic dialog shows up strongly between the Beatles and Beach Boys. It starts in earnest with Rubber Soul which inspired Brian Wilson Pet Sound which then influenced Sgt. Pepper which in between was Revolver
The Beatles music is both simple and sophisticated. There music always provided an easy point of entry that hooks us yet subtle and complex enough that set them apart from the mundane. The blend of simplicity and sophistication was key to their commercial and artistic success. They had their own sound and had an uncanny ability to absorb outside influences and integrate them seamlessly into their sound.
The Beatles were not the first to use overdubbing or multitracking it had been around for awhile. But starting with Rubber Soul and peaking in Sgt. Pepper. The Beatles use of it and style achieved tremendous results that they inspired legions of imitators. Songs like “Eleanor Rigby” and “A Day in the Life” expanded the range of rock music and people started to associate those songs to high art. Because of all this the Beatles had a huge influence on the sound of rock music. Rock records from 1962 to 1970 sounded a lot different, they were better produced and offered a lot broader palette of sounds. Yes they were a huge influence though not the only one to merge studio experimention with a strong pop structure which is the primary style in both rock and pop music
I agree and very well stated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! (Dec '08) Mar 25 RICK 12,852
Can my friends and I post, here? Mar 18 Toothless 10
For your eyes only Mar 16 Little monster 17
News Heather Mills Slams Ex-Husband Paul McCartney: ... Mar 15 Greg 1
News Paul McCartney Scores First Top Five Hit in 31 ... Feb '15 An NFL Fan 15
News The Beatles week ahead: Remembering George Harr... (Nov '13) Feb '15 swadders 3
A Million ways to die in the west Feb '15 Little monster 2
More from around the web