AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2009

Judged:

In my opinion The Beatles are extremely overrated. I am 27 years old and this may have alot to do with the way I feel. Ever since I have been a teenager almost everyone around me has tried to convince me the beatles were the best thing ever. I believe the beatles have become mythical, but in all reality if you really sit down and listen to their music they are not the best group of the 20th century. As a metaphor Marilyn is supposedly a great beauty the most beautiful of the 20th century. That is certainly not true. The beatles are like mcdonalds. Both a brand and junk food. John Lennon was the only one who had a decent voice, the others were horrible. Lennon & McCartney were good songwriters but the beatles did write horrible songs. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Yellow Submarine ect. Without George Martin the beatles would have sounded like their solo albums. John Lennon said in interviews it was Martin who came up with their innovative sound. The Beatles were influential , but it was Bob Dylan that was the most influential on them. Tangerine Dream put out a 1966 album a year before pepper in 67'. The Doors, Pink Flod, Led Zepplein, The Byrds and cream ect. Better than the beatles. Plus the beatles were good not great musicians. It was Eric Clapton who played the guitar solo on while my guitar gently weeps. Anyone agree they are overrated? Can anyone prove me wrong?
Jack Zippy

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2009

Judged:

Sunshine1982 wrote:
In my opinion The Beatles are extremely overrated. I am 27 years old and this may have alot to do with the way I feel. Ever since I have been a teenager almost everyone around me has tried to convince me the beatles were the best thing ever. I believe the beatles have become mythical, but in all reality if you really sit down and listen to their music they are not the best group of the 20th century. As a metaphor Marilyn is supposedly a great beauty the most beautiful of the 20th century. That is certainly not true. The beatles are like mcdonalds. Both a brand and junk food. John Lennon was the only one who had a decent voice, the others were horrible. Lennon & McCartney were good songwriters but the beatles did write horrible songs. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Yellow Submarine ect. Without George Martin the beatles would have sounded like their solo albums. John Lennon said in interviews it was Martin who came up with their innovative sound. The Beatles were influential , but it was Bob Dylan that was the most influential on them. Tangerine Dream put out a 1966 album a year before pepper in 67'. The Doors, Pink Flod, Led Zepplein, The Byrds and cream ect. Better than the beatles. Plus the beatles were good not great musicians. It was Eric Clapton who played the guitar solo on while my guitar gently weeps. Anyone agree they are overrated? Can anyone prove me wrong?
You're intitled to your opinion but I'm afraid you don't know all the facts and you don't have much knowledge of music at only 27.Harrison was a great guitar player just Like Clapton.The Beatles ruled the sixties and for you to compare them to McDonalds come on get real.Paul McCartney is super talented and can play about six different instruments do I need to go on.Yes George Martin was a great producer but he had a great group to work with also.No band has topped the Beatles yet.
Sunshine1982

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

Judged:

The Beatles were unbelievably popular, but does that mean they were the best? You are actually comparing Harrison to Clapton? Wow! Harrison even said in an interview he was not in Clapton's league! How old are you? The last time I checked 27 was an adult. Just because I don't buy into the mythical Beatles tale doesn't mean I don't know music. I like very few Beatles songs. Just because they are super popular doesn't mean I have to like them. Most people like Mcdonalds food I don't. George Martin was extremely important to the beatles according to lennon giving htem a very innovative sound. Listen to any of their solo albums? I suppose silly love songs is genius. Pink Floyd did piper at the gates of dawn the same year as Beatles Pepper. Tangerine Dream ect. Can Harrison compare to jimi hendix? I know music. Do you know who Debussy or ravel are? How many composers hail from europe from the 17th century. Name a muddy waters song that the rolling stones recorded. I know music. You are narrow minded.

awc

“Pepperland”

Since: Dec 06

Pepperland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

Judged:

This stupid thread is worthless, you have not proven anything except you hate the Beatles, but it's just you're opinion, nothing more.

The Beatles were/are very talented artists who wrote and recorded some of the greatest music in history, as a group and as solo artists.

Clapton and Floyd were great too, but never made it to the Beatle's level.

Music sales,popularity mean nothing to me, it's the quality of music, and the Beatles have them all beat, but that's my opinion.

You have convinced everyone on this forum, you don't like the Beatles, now take a nice nap.

awc

“Pepperland”

Pepperland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

Judged:

And Sunshine,
You asked Jack his age, it's more that 27 and his knowledge of music is first hand,rather than third generation.
Narrow minded, Jack ?, no, I was going to ask you the same the question, you keep spouting off anti Beatles sentiments and expect everyone on this forum to follow you, sorry, it won't happen, you made no case.

So you are 27, you know everything, seen people like you come in and spout, then vanish, you have yet to prove any form of a valid point.

So as we all know, you don't like the Beatles, thanks for coming here and making our day, letting us all know you're opinion, I'm sure each poster here will appreciate all that you do.

Have a great day, Sunshine.

awc

“Pepperland”

Pepperland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

Judged:

Thanks for posting on the Beatle's forum, we appreciate you're business.

:O)
Jack Zippy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

Judged:

awc wrote:
And Sunshine,
You asked Jack his age, it's more that 27 and his knowledge of music is first hand,rather than third generation.
Narrow minded, Jack ?, no, I was going to ask you the same the question, you keep spouting off anti Beatles sentiments and expect everyone on this forum to follow you, sorry, it won't happen, you made no case.
So you are 27, you know everything, seen people like you come in and spout, then vanish, you have yet to prove any form of a valid point.
So as we all know, you don't like the Beatles, thanks for coming here and making our day, letting us all know you're opinion, I'm sure each poster here will appreciate all that you do.
Have a great day, Sunshine.
Right on Awc the only thing I agree with Sunshine on is I don't much care for McDonalds food either.She or he wasn't around during the sixties but yes Cream was a good group and yes Clapton is a great guitar player.As for Michael Jackson he was just a black Donny Osmond type that made it big because a lot of teeny boppers bought his records.He could shuck and jive and scream and grab his crotch while he squeeled away and danced like a puppet on a string but that don't make him a King in my opinion.Unless we're talking the King of Jive ass performers.
SUCK IT

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

Judged:

I agree, tehehe.

awc

“Pepperland”

Pepperland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

Judged:

I agree Jack,
Mcdonalds food is bland, like these trolls.
Jack Zippy

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

Judged:

awc wrote:
I agree Jack,
Mcdonalds food is bland, like these trolls.
I think they are going to come out with a Mc troll burger next.Cheap and not very flavorful.Lol

awc

“Pepperland”

Pepperland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

Judged:

Jack Zippy wrote:
<quoted text>I think they are going to come out with a Mc troll burger next.Cheap and not very flavorful.Lol
Mc Trolls, I think you got something there, lol.
Jack Zippy

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2009

Judged:

awc wrote:
<quoted text>Mc Trolls, I think you got something there, lol.
Yea I hear that those Mc Trolls are dry and give you an upset stomach if you eat the whole thing.
West Archer

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

Judged:

Sunshine, I have to disagree with your musical tastes; but you are spot on with The Beatles. Don't let these nostalgic old hippies get to you. Unfortunately for them, The Beatles are becoming a dying religion. Their marketing scheme (which is quite impressive) lasted so many years, but now their age is finally showing. The Beatles were not influential (except to other horrible musicians who wanted to jump on the cash cow machine).

Great acts that shook the rock world:
Velvet Underground, Captain Beefheart, The Doors, Robert Wyatt, Faust...

Of course, this is all a matter of opinion. There is no denying this. However, from looking at history, The Beatles will not be listed on top 10 lists in 100 years or so. Until then, we are stuck with this commercializing bullshit.
Greg

Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Are you sure?

awc

“Pepperland”

Pepperland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Captain Beefheart, shook the world,who's world ? lol.

And yes, the Beatles will be #1 in a hundred years, they are the best.

Old hippies,lol.
Bubba the Saint

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

awc wrote:
Old hippies,lol.
Captain Beefheart found the Beef when asked where's the Beef. Here it is 45 years later and THE Beatles have still out sold eveybody else and are still called the most sucessful band ever.If you don't believe me just listen to your radio.Old hippies know because they were there while it happened.
West Archer

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

awc wrote:
Old hippies,lol.
Time will tell, my friend. When people see past the commercial aspect of music, and take rock music seriously, then The Beatles will float down the drain they came from. Trout Mask Replica out- weighs anything the Fab 4 tried to do. I understand your bias as you do not find Beefheart to be relatively good (considering if you have ever listened to TMR). I am not bias. I was a Beatles fan until last year when I finally accepted how overrated they are. Point is, there is better music out there folks. Stop listening to what these "professional" critics say because really, what qualifies a rock critic (or any critic for that matter)? Rock music is really not that old.
Bubba the Saint wrote:
<quoted text>Captain Beefheart found the Beef when asked where's the Beef. Here it is 45 years later and THE Beatles have still out sold eveybody else and are still called the most sucessful band ever.If you don't believe me just listen to your radio.Old hippies know because they were there while it happened.
Yeah; on the radio. That's perfect for where The Beatles belong. Of course they've sold a lot: their music is easy to listen to, accessible from virtually anywhere in the world, and everyone has been brainwashed into thinking they are the greatest band that ever existed. That's fine and dandy for them. However, some people look for a challenge in their music-something that isn't conventional; which is essentially what rock music should be. Which is why I draw back to my first statement; The Beatles belong on the airwaves because they are a pop group who wrote little ditties. Nothing more, nothing less.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

500.000.000 Beatles'fans can't all be wrong.
Greg

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

And you know, it's boring and frustrating trying to explain why the Beatles(at least we believe that) are the greatest. We have been over this one million times.
West Archer

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

Judged:

Exactly. You're tired of defending the band; I get it. I would be frustrated having to argue for a petty band as well. Of course, I'm not sure how anyone can be right or wrong on something so subjective.

Fact: Beatles are overrated. This is being looked at logically. For them to deserve credit for their merits, they would have to have a universal appreciation from everyone existing. That will never happen considering the growing minority of people who think they are dubious at best. Thus, they are overrated by default. You cannot argue through this.
Opinion: Their music is "okay"...nothing close to a masterpiece by any means.

At the end of the day, it boils down to how I look at it. You can enjoy your music for all I care. I'm here, however, to show you that your little band is overrated.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of1,069
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Beatles Discussions

Search the The Beatles Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bob Dylan yes or no (Jun '10) Thu Chris 12
150 Best Selling Artists in the World! (Dec '08) Apr 14 RICK 12,614
Yoko Ono (Jul '06) Apr 14 Ron 119
my beatles friends (Nov '07) Apr 12 Greg 95
Non-LP Singles, B-Sides, & Rarities From the Be... (Jan '11) Apr 12 Stormin Norm 9
YOU SUCK PAUL McCartney (Jun '13) Apr 11 Jerry Sandusky 125
25 Top Travelers' Choice Destinations Apr 11 John Shatzalot 7
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••