John Lennon's 1980 Sunglasses: Still ...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Blacktown, Australia

#22 Feb 1, 2013
where do you get the caramel yellow ones from?

Newport, UK

#23 Feb 19, 2013
He didnt wear them in the 80's because he was dead in the 70's

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Wilhelm tiffe

Birmingham, UK

#24 Nov 3, 2013
ahor10 wrote:
well those right there look like the original wayfarers by ray-ban , but i would tihnk you were talking about the usual small-frame glasses he wore with small circles..
they are called hakusa mayfair
holding zero

Hazleton, PA

#25 Nov 3, 2013
They are popular shooting glasses at most firing ranges.
Dr Clayton OBoogie

Rochester, NY

#26 Nov 12, 2014
I just wanted to follow up in regards to the Retrovision Mayfair glasses (like the various pairs of that style Lennon wore in 1980). They are amazing!!!!! The only thing I'll say ) is that the way they are sent to her, they are bent/curved a bit. I've spoken to Gwyn the owner/designer about this-(BTW she is a wonderful person & has posted here on this thread herself as "Diamond70"). I took them to be straightened out & the optometrist said that's how glasses with UV protection are usually shaped. The thing is it's not how Ray-Ban Wayfarers are shaped, nor how Lennon's were either apparently. I have a few pairs of the "Double Fantasy" model of official John Lennon glasses, patterned after the Hakusan Mayfair, & they are, like Wayfarers, straight across (though slightly tilted inwards...albeit less of a tilt than Wayfarers). After they were straightened I put them up against my old official ones (Yoko loaned the originals to the John Lennon Collection manufacturers years ago, for them to be patterned after) & they are pretty much a perfect match. And I mean way over 95%, more like 99+%. Incredible job!! But for me, they really need to be straightened & have that curve taken out, for the appearance to be completely correct.
They now offer their Mayfair glasses, in either Honey-Orange, or Clear frames (both are fantastic!!!), & you can get them with either Brown, or Blue sunglass lenses in them. Early next year they are planning on putting out the final of the three colors Lennon had, the Caramel-Yellow/Gold. The official John Lennon Collection glasses had the correct shape, but, while quite expensive, they used a cheaper material for the glasses, & stuff that wasn't accurate. Retrovision has painstakingly recreated those Mayfair glasses to incredible results. All one needs to do, is to take them to an optical store & have the natural curve in them straightened out & then they go up a full notch in appearance & are spot on all the way.
Here is their website...
And their ultra groovy "Hall Of Frame" with lots of great shots of Lennon in the Mayfairs from 1980, & of their glasses as well...

Mount Dora, FL

#27 Dec 15, 2014
I have a vintage pair of john Lennon brand proscription glasses from the 80's...they are stamped on the arm john Lennon....clear glass with bifocal frame with brown plastic tips can anyone give me info on them I am having a hard time researching them

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For your eyes only (Feb '15) Fri Little monster 48
Number nine, number nine. Oct 9 Greg 1
The Fallen Chart Position Of The Beatles Brand ... Oct 4 Beatles Drop On C... 1
News Keith Richards criticises The Beatles as a live... Oct 4 Beatles Drop On C... 8
The Beatles Are Overrated (Jul '09) Sep 30 Beatles Drop On C... 1,080
News Why "Revolver" still matters: The 50th annivers... Sep 30 Beatles Drop On C... 2
beatles are overated and suck (Mar '06) Sep 30 Beatles Drop On C... 1,288
More from around the web