John Lennon's 1980 Sunglasses: Still available?

Posted in the The Beatles Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
ghe454

Den Haag, Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2008

What is the name/brand of the glasses john lennon wore in 1980?

Example here:

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/john-lennon...
MCJ3

Visalia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

yes, I am also interested in knowing the brand of these sunglasses, does anyone know!?
ahor10

Windsor Locks, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2008

well those right there look like the original wayfarers by ray-ban , but i would tihnk you were talking about the usual small-frame glasses he wore with small circles..
Winston O boggie

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2010

Ray ban is makes this style it's the wayfarer 4141.
Cookie Babcock

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2010

Dr Winston O Boogie usually had small granny glasses even on stage at New York he had round lenses that were tinted.The glasses in the link wayfarter 4141 was just a rare photo of Lennon I'm sure he had several different ones he wore when he hung out with Elton John and David Bowie.
Winston O boggie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2010

IMG_0907.JPG if you want theses it the as close as you are going to get is the honey clear Ray ban 4141 wayfarer nuff said
Windbag Old Loogie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

Winston O boggie wrote:
IMG_0907.JPG if you want theses it the as close as you are going to get is the honey clear Ray ban 4141 wayfarer nuff said
You can call them Ray or you can call them Jay you don't have to call them Johnsons.How come Ray was banned was he being too lewd?Rayban poor man don't like being banned only wanted to make his wayfarters nuff said.
Winston O Boggie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

Ok they are hakusan glasses made in japan bought in japan by John in 1979 the brand in Hakusan the style is Mayfair. Your welcome.
Winston O Boggie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

ghe454 wrote:
What is the name/brand of the glasses john lennon wore in 1980?
Example here:
http://www.virginmedia.com/images/john-lennon...
They are a brand called Hakusan in japan john found the brand at a store named milk boy he fell In love with the brand and bought several pairs he's mainly seen in his clear yellow mayfairs. The brand in Hakusan the style is Mayfair , they are sold in japan for a little under 400 U.S they are also hand made.
William oh Bizzybody

Cambridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

They are a brand called Hakusan in japan john found the brand at a store named milk boy he fell In love with the brand and bought several pairs he's mainly seen in his clear yellow mayfairs. The brand in Hakusan the style is Mayfair , they are sold in japan
for a little under 400 U.S they are also hand made.
Dr Clayton OBoogie

Penn Yan, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2010

The glasses that Lennon wore in 1980 are indeed the Hakusan “Mayfair” model. Lennon owned three different colored frames (clear, caramel-yellow, and honey-orange) & each style frame was fitted with three different colored lenses (1- dark sunglass 2- blue tint 3-??unknown- either clear or different sunglass shade or color changing ones??)…so he had 9 pairs of them in total.
Yoko commissioned Eagle Eyewear to produce licensed designer quality frames called “The John Lennon Collection” years ago- they were Italian made. Sadly they’ve not been reproduced since then.
Over the years I’ve found 5 pairs of the “Double Fantasy” model, which is fashioned after the Hakusan “Mayfair”- I’ve got 2 pair of black (my least fave- one pair are prescription lenses, the other normal sunglasses), 2 tortoise shell (yellow-caramel swirled with maroon- both outfitted with prescription sunglass), & 1 pair of honey-orange (my favorite- waiting for the next trip to the eye doctor & then they will get prescription sunglass lenses).
I’ve just written to- info@johnlennonsunglasses.com to request that they start to make these again…even offering mine as potential template models to use…though I hope they’ll go the extra yard & get the exact pair from Hakusan (since I provided them with that information)
Here’s the fledgling company that I hope is large & ambitious enough to take up this idea…
http://www.johnlennonsunglasses.com/
Here are two interesting links that helped lead me to find this info out, but the original credit has to go to a person who posts at The Steve Hoffman Forums as “monkboughtlunch”…I’ve included the page where he provided the original info, but the thread itself, which concerns the mystery of the lost video/film of John performing “I’m Losing You” & possibly “(Just Like” Starting Over” that were filmed on August 18 & 19, 1980…it appears that it may reside in the hands of a private collector and have been stolen from the estate after his death (Lennon had claimed that he destroyed it- though Yoko still has possession of a different reel of her doing “I’m Moving On” from the same sessions)
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread....
Here are the links where I found the most information outside of the Hoffman Forum.
Here's a great link:
http://www.mondayflying.com/2010/06/style-hak...
“Throughout Hakusan Megane’s history, notable celebrities around the world have supported the brand due to Hakusan’s quiet quality.
In the summer of 1979, Beatles member John Lennon visited Japan with his wife, Yoko Ono. Lennon and Ono browsed MILKBOY, a pioneer store in the 1970s Japanese punk scene.
Lennon discovered Hakusan in the store and took a personal liking to Hakusan’s eyewear.
Soon after, Hakusan Masachika was introduced to John Lennon through MILKBOY’s owner. Hakusan then became John Lennon’s main eyewear supplier, bringing their wide variety of glasses to Lennon’s suites whenever he was in town.
Hakusan Masachika and John Lennon got along well due to their common interest in glasses. After a series of selection, John Lennon chose “Mayfair” celluloid handmade glasses and he bought all colors that are clear, caramel and tortoiseshell. On Hakusan’s part, the store also customised three different color lenses for the three frames.
Since then, John Lennon is often seen wearing “Mayfair” in all major occasions. On December 8, 1980 in The Dakota, New York, John Lennon was also wearing “Mayfair” when he was shot.
Currently, new releases from Hakusan Megane are always covered in depth by major newspapers, magazines and media in Japan. Due to limited production, it is common for the Japanese to queue up to buy their glasses.”
And here’s the Hakusan website (sadly in Japanese)
http://www.hakusan-megane.co.jp/startpage.htm
Dr Clayton OBoogie

Penn Yan, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2010

The glasses that Lennon wore in 1980 are indeed the Hakusan “Mayfair” model. Lennon owned three different colored frames (clear, caramel-yellow, and honey-orange) & each style frame was fitted with three different colored lenses (1- dark sunglass 2- blue tint 3-??unknown- either clear or different sunglass shade or color changing ones??)…so he had 9 pairs of them in total.
Yoko commissioned Eagle Eyewear to produce licensed designer quality frames called “The John Lennon Collection” years ago- they were Italian made. Sadly they’ve not been reproduced since then.
Over the years I’ve found 5 pairs of the “Double Fantasy” model, which is fashioned after the Hakusan “Mayfair”- I’ve got 2 pair of black (my least fave- one pair are prescription lenses, the other normal sunglasses), 2 tortoise shell (yellow-caramel swirled with maroon- both outfitted with prescription sunglass), & 1 pair of honey-orange (my favorite- waiting for the next trip to the eye doctor & then they will get prescription sunglass lenses).
I’ve just written to- info@johnlennonsunglasses.com to request that they start to make these again…even offering mine as potential template models to use…though I hope they’ll go the extra yard & get the exact pair from Hakusan (since I provided them with that information)
Here’s the fledgling company that I hope is large & ambitious enough to take up this idea…
http://www.johnlennonsunglasses.com/

Here are two interesting links that helped lead me to find this info out, but the original credit has to go to a person who posts at The Steve Hoffman Forums as “monkboughtlunch”…I’ve included the page where he provided the original info, but the thread itself, which concerns the mystery of the lost video/film of John performing “I’m Losing You” & possibly “(Just Like” Starting Over” that were filmed on August 18 & 19, 1980…it appears that it may reside in the hands of a private collector and have been stolen from the estate after his death (Lennon had claimed that he destroyed it- though Yoko still has possession of a different reel of her doing “I’m Moving On” from the same sessions)
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread....
Here are the links where I found the most information outside of the Hoffman Forum.
Here's a great little link:
And here-http://www.mondayflying.c om/2010/06/style-hakusan-megan e/

“Throughout Hakusan Megane’s history, notable celebrities around the world have supported the brand due to Hakusan’s quiet quality.

In the summer of 1979, Beatles member John Lennon visited Japan with his wife, Yoko Ono. Lennon and Ono browsed MILKBOY, a pioneer store in the 1970s Japanese punk scene.

Lennon discovered Hakusan in the store and took a personal liking to Hakusan’s eyewear.

Soon after, Hakusan Masachika was introduced to John Lennon through MILKBOY’s owner. Hakusan then became John Lennon’s main eyewear supplier, bringing their wide variety of glasses to Lennon’s suites whenever he was in town.

Hakusan Masachika and John Lennon got along well due to their common interest in glasses. After a series of selection, John Lennon chose “Mayfair” celluloid handmade glasses and he bought all colors that are clear, caramel and tortoiseshell. On Hakusan’s part, the store also customised three different color lenses for the three frames.

Since then, John Lennon is often seen wearing “Mayfair” in all major occasions. On December 8, 1980 in The Dakota, New York, John Lennon was also wearing “Mayfair” when he was shot.
Currently, new releases from Hakusan Megane are always covered in depth by major newspapers, magazines and media in Japan. Due to limited production, it is common for the Japanese to queue up to buy their glasses.”
And here’s the Hakusan website (sadly in Japanese)
http://www.hakusan-megane.co.jp/startpage.htm
Diamond70

Kastrup, Denmark

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Hi, If you give me the details of where I can get the Hakusan "Mayfair" honey-orange, then I guarantee that I will reproduce them. Currently I produce something very similar - http://johnlennoneyewear.blogspot.com Ideally like to make them to exactly the same original specifications and any help would be much appreciated.johnlennoneyewear@ gmail.com
Diamond70

Kastrup, Denmark

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2010

Diamond70 wrote:
Hi, If you give me the details of where I can get the Hakusan "Mayfair" honey-orange, then I guarantee that I will reproduce them. Currently I produce something very similar - http://johnlennoneyewear.blogspot.com Ideally like to make them to exactly the same original specifications and any help would be much appreciated.johnlennoneyewear@ gmail.com
test
Diamond70

Kastrup, Denmark

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2010

Thanks for contacting the website, I will contact you shortly to discuss it in more detail.
Jorge

Ribeirão Prêto, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2011

Hi...Contact "Revolution" site of Beatles in Brasil trought of Marco Antonio Malagolli.Maybe he can help you about Hakusan frames. I'm buying your frame and wainting for arrive it in my homme.
Diamond70

Kastrup, Denmark

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2011

Hi Jorge, Thanks for your order and the email. Another satisfied customer!:-)
Mark

Kastrup, Denmark

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2012

Actully there's another company making the Mayfair frame called retrtovisioneyewear.com They make the frame exactly as it originally looked in the late 70s, before Hakusan moved production to another manufacturer and totally restyled their entire range. The Mayfair frames that you can buy from Hakusan thses days are only Mayfairs in name, as they're a different shape and they also have wire nose pads which the originals didn't have. Retrovision Eyewear have done a nice job remaking them to exactly the same specifications which means that they're a robust product. You can also have prescription lenses fitted if you want..or just wear them as sunglasses.
not them

North Dartmouth, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Winston O boggie wrote:
Ray ban is makes this style it's the wayfarer 4141.
It's not them http://elvispelvis.com/lennon.jpg
lennon sunglasses

North Dartmouth, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

what brand/model are these http://elvispelvis.com/lennon.jpg

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the The Beatles Forum right now

Search the The Beatles Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bob Dylan yes or no (Jun '10) Tue Greg 11
150 Best Selling Artists in the World! (Dec '08) Apr 14 RICK 12,614
Yoko Ono (Jul '06) Apr 14 Ron 119
my beatles friends (Nov '07) Apr 12 Greg 95
Non-LP Singles, B-Sides, & Rarities From the Be... (Jan '11) Apr 12 Stormin Norm 9
YOU SUCK PAUL McCartney (Jun '13) Apr 11 Jerry Sandusky 125
25 Top Travelers' Choice Destinations Apr 11 John Shatzalot 7
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••