150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12898 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#14683 Jul 3, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends on how the older artist progresses into old age, I guess. The Who did an impressive performance for Hurricane Sandy. Chuck Berry can barely stand up to play his guitar these days but he is ninety. That is expected but at least, Chuck is not ruining his recorded legacy by putting out uninspired new albums. I'll check out the film, "Cadillac Records" if I happen to find it on DVD. The roots of Rock and R&B is still quite an exciting period . The music sounds alive. It is definitely great because the best of it, never really ages. It is bare bones inspiration and pure energy captured on the recordings, which makes these performances special. Most new music lacks a certain emotional connection between the artist and the listener. I just love listening to great Rock N Roll that has not been overplayed to death. Gene Vincent was pretty good and I would have thought he'd have a string of hits besides just the top ten classic, "Be Bop A Lula"
It is weird how fate is sometimes.
"He ran into Gene Vincent at Penn Station the following morning as they were leaving the city. One of the boys pointed the new rock 'n' roll star out to him, and Elvis walked over and introduced himself, congratulating him sincerely on the success of "Be Bop A Lula". To his surprise Vincent immediately started to apologize.'"The first thing he said was, "I wasn't trying to copy you. I wasn't trying to sound like you.' Just right off the bat, without being asked. I told him,'Oh, I know that. It's just your natural style.'" And then the two twenty-one-year-olds compared notes on success."
- Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley, Peter Guralnick, 1994
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#14685 Jul 3, 2014
Dennis Hauser wrote:
<quoted text>
"He ran into Gene Vincent at Penn Station the following morning as they were leaving the city. One of the boys pointed the new rock 'n' roll star out to him, and Elvis walked over and introduced himself, congratulating him sincerely on the success of "Be Bop A Lula". To his surprise Vincent immediately started to apologize.'"The first thing he said was, "I wasn't trying to copy you. I wasn't trying to sound like you.' Just right off the bat, without being asked. I told him,'Oh, I know that. It's just your natural style.'" And then the two twenty-one-year-olds compared notes on success."
- Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley, Peter Guralnick, 1994
"Last Train To Memphis" is not an Elvis book that I have ever purchaced since I have too many as it is. I did read about Scotty and Bill hearing Gene Vincent's "Be Bop A Lula" on the radio and thinking that Elvis was moonlighting behind their backs. It was somewhat obvious that Capital records wanted their own version of Elvis. Some songs off Gene Vincent And The Blue Caps sound like it could have been Elvis, but not all. Anyway, I like it very much. It is all new to me. Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran were great because they both understood that they had to develop their own styles. I've took to time to listen to the other early rock n roll stars but I still think Elvis was superior. Elvis was vastly more talented. It is cool that Elvis ran into Gene Vincent at Penn Station. I've always read that Elvis was always warm and friendly towards other artists and was never jealous, rude or obnoxious.
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#14691 Jul 5, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
"Last Train To Memphis" is not an Elvis book that I have ever purchaced since I have too many as it is. I did read about Scotty and Bill hearing Gene Vincent's "Be Bop A Lula" on the radio and thinking that Elvis was moonlighting behind their backs. It was somewhat obvious that Capital records wanted their own version of Elvis. Some songs off Gene Vincent And The Blue Caps sound like it could have been Elvis, but not all. Anyway, I like it very much. It is all new to me. Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran were great because they both understood that they had to develop their own styles. I've took to time to listen to the other early rock n roll stars but I still think Elvis was superior. Elvis was vastly more talented. It is cool that Elvis ran into Gene Vincent at Penn Station. I've always read that Elvis was always warm and friendly towards other artists and was never jealous, rude or obnoxious.
Great thing also was Elvis wasn't prejudice, either. From James Brown to Jackie Wilson, from Sammy Davies Jr. to Ali.
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#14693 Jul 6, 2014
Dennis Hauser wrote:
<quoted text>
Great thing also was Elvis wasn't prejudice, either. From James Brown to Jackie Wilson, from Sammy Davies Jr. to Ali.
That is true but there is a certain amount of misinformation concerning how Elvis really was. However, they can not back up their claims with actual evidence. Of course, Elvis loved black music and embraced many styles into his mass catalog of work. He performed and recorded with The Blosoms and Darlene Love in 1968 and hired The Sweet Inspirations to back him up on stage through out the seventies. There are many photographs of Elvis with black entertainers and Elvis was always warm and friendly towards them.

I recently decided to check out Link Wray on You Tube. I never realized that he continued recording and performing live up until his death in 2005. He did more than his 50's classic instrumental, "Rumble" that is still regarded as the first Heavy Metal record. I ran across a 1975 television performance of Link Wray singing the funky, "Midnight Lover" His guitar skills were fantastic. So smooth on that number. I am blown away that his album, "Stuck In Gear" was ignored my most of the music buying public. Link is finally being honored by the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame this year. He was an incredible musician and a avid Elvis fan too.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#14697 Jul 7, 2014
And you can talk all you want,Dolbyscat,but the truth is the truth,there is an anti-Elvis bias perpetuated by the Liberal media,and ROLLING STONE magazine is a prime example.Over the past 3 years or so,this magazine has put out `commemorative' issues on such artists as The Beatles,Lennon,Mccartney and Harrison by themselves,The Rolling Stones,Jimi Hendrix,Led Zeppelin,Bob Marley and The Wailers,Pink Floyd,Bob Dylan,The Grateful Dead,Michael Jackson,and others,BUT NO ELVIS,why do you think that is,Dolbyscat,it's because Elvis emerged in the 50's,and not the 60's,that's why,generational BIAS all the way.I frankly hope they never put an Elvis issue out,because by not doing so,they make guys like me look like a genius,and give everything that I have said the ring of truth,the REAL truth,peace out
dreamingofelvis

Australia

#14700 Jul 7, 2014
Dennis Hauser wrote:
<quoted text>
He certainly wasn't prejudiced. His mother had black women help care for him when he was a baby, as well as having several black childhood friends. He used to love to go sit on their porches and listen to their dads and uncles sing and play guitar. He said even though they were as poor as his family, they were happy folks.
As a teenager he 'dated' a coloured girl, and later briefly, one of the Sweet Inspirations, though I can't recall which one.
When asked about the negro singers who had influenced his style, he replied, "man I loved those guys, they've got soul."
He even honoured Sammy Davis Jr. with a quick soft shoe shuffle in one of his Las Vegas shows.

Cheers. DOE.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

North Miami Beach, FL

#14702 Jul 8, 2014
To Rick, Octopus, Dennis And the rest of the gang: Don't forget, it was 1954, when an 18 year old truck driver from Memphis recorded his first record, and thus, commenced the first and biggest pop explosion in the history of recorded music. It will be a week of accolades and tributes signifying the period when Elvis recorded "that's all right Mama", July 5th 1954. No one could have established it at the time, that Elvis Aron Presley would become the single biggest attraction in the history of popular music. Peace out.,
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#14704 Jul 8, 2014
Victor Abreu Miami Beach wrote:
To Rick, Octopus, Dennis And the rest of the gang: Don't forget, it was 1954, when an 18 year old truck driver from Memphis recorded his first record, and thus, commenced the first and biggest pop explosion in the history of recorded music. It will be a week of accolades and tributes signifying the period when Elvis recorded "that's all right Mama", July 5th 1954. No one could have established it at the time, that Elvis Aron Presley would become the single biggest attraction in the history of popular music. Peace out.,
There is a full documentary on Link Wray on You Tube in which he explains what was going on in 1954 with white musicians. Most of them were doing country and western before they saw Elvis. Link said that it took Elvis to open the doors to expose Rock N Roll to a mass audience. Obviously, there were people doing rock way before Elvis but it was not getting through probably because it was considered "race" music. Elvis started a chain reaction. He inspired many to pick up guitars and want to make records. Link Wray claims there were different movements starting up in other cities and towns. The documentary is called, Link Wray:"Rumble Man" (made in the mid nineties or so)

Check it out, it is pretty cool.
DENNIS HAUSER

Peoria, IL

#14710 Jul 10, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a full documentary on Link Wray on You Tube in which he explains what was going on in 1954 with white musicians. Most of them were doing country and western before they saw Elvis. Link said that it took Elvis to open the doors to expose Rock N Roll to a mass audience. Obviously, there were people doing rock way before Elvis but it was not getting through probably because it was considered "race" music. Elvis started a chain reaction. He inspired many to pick up guitars and want to make records. Link Wray claims there were different movements starting up in other cities and towns. The documentary is called, Link Wray:"Rumble Man" (made in the mid nineties or so)
Check it out, it is pretty cool.

Thanks Octo for the link!
I believe in an interview, Elvis was asked something about being the King of Rock'n Roll and Elvis pointed out Fats Domino and said Fats was!
DENNIS HAUSER

Peoria, IL

#14711 Jul 10, 2014
Victor Abreu Miami Beach wrote:
The man, the myth, the legend, the King.(of Rock'n Roll)
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#14715 Jul 10, 2014
DENNIS HAUSER wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Octo for the link!
I believe in an interview, Elvis was asked something about being the King of Rock'n Roll and Elvis pointed out Fats Domino and said Fats was!
I love the rock guitar and Link Wray is certainly a neglected rock legend. I find him to be quite fascinating as well as Gene Vincent and even Dion. Of course, Elvis will always be the King Of Rock N Roll. Link Wray and Dion agree. Fats Domino is fantastic also. Everybody had their own styles. It is all great stuff.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#14717 Jul 13, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I love the rock guitar and Link Wray is certainly a neglected rock legend. I find him to be quite fascinating as well as Gene Vincent and even Dion. Of course, Elvis will always be the King Of Rock N Roll. Link Wray and Dion agree. Fats Domino is fantastic also. Everybody had their own styles. It is all great stuff.
Each rock legend, each musician really, certainly does have their own style and I love Link Wray also. Each style has it's own positives and negatives to be sure.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14718 Jul 13, 2014
_Brenda_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Each rock legend, each musician really, certainly does have their own style and I love Link Wray also. Each style has it's own positives and negatives to be sure.
I was able to find his 1971 album, "Link Wray" on CD but not much remains in print. He was a fantastic guitarist. One of the best. It is great to discover artists that I've never really heard before. It is amazing that his seventies stuff was ignored by radio. It is timeless.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#14721 Jul 13, 2014
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I was able to find his 1971 album, "Link Wray" on CD but not much remains in print. He was a fantastic guitarist. One of the best. It is great to discover artists that I've never really heard before. It is amazing that his seventies stuff was ignored by radio. It is timeless.
Although I was not around in the seventies, a friend of mine turned me on to Link Wray and I loved his music. I had never heard of him before. I do have to say he's a fabulous guitarist.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#14722 Jul 13, 2014
_Brenda_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Although I was not around in the seventies, a friend of mine turned me on to Link Wray and I loved his music. I had never heard of him before. I do have to say he's a fabulous guitarist.
I previously thought that he had only had a couple late fifties instrumental hits with "Rumble" and "Raw-hide" I did not realize that he had a long, active career. When I came across the song, "Midnight Lover" from 1975 on You Tube, I was blown away by his guitar playing. In fact, I like everything I've heard. I was a child in the seventies and I've never knew these albums existed. Link Wray was just as good as Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, Jimi Hendrix or Chuck Berry. So much emotion is his playing. I was quite impressed. Better late than never, I suppose. I also like Dion's more recent blues CD's but Link Wray is amazing. Rock history apparently has a few unsung heroes. I like it because it is more personal. Link Wray is unknown to most of my friends. On the self titled disc, there are several masterpieces that should have been huge hits but never were.

"Take Me Home Jesus"
"Juke Box Mama"
"Rise And Fall Of Jimmy Strokes"
"Fallin' Rain"
"Fire And Brimstone"
"Ice People"
"Crowbar"
"Black River Swamp"

Absolutely brilliant. It is like another side of The Rolling Stones "Exile On Main Street"
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#14724 Jul 16, 2014
That's very interesting,Octo,I'd never even heard of Link Wray,he's never talked about in any music publications like ROLLING STONE or BILLBOARD or anything,this underscores the fact that many artists who deserve recognition undeservedly fall through the cracks of music history,and songs as well.When I was a kid,there was a great country record called `What in the world[come over you] by Jack Scott,I believe.This song should be covered and brought back to life by one of the big country artists,peace out.
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#14726 Jul 16, 2014
RICK wrote:
That's very interesting,Octo,I'd never even heard of Link Wray,he's never talked about in any music publications like ROLLING STONE or BILLBOARD or anything,this underscores the fact that many artists who deserve recognition undeservedly fall through the cracks of music history,and songs as well.When I was a kid,there was a great country record called `What in the world[come over you] by Jack Scott,I believe.This song should be covered and brought back to life by one of the big country artists,peace out.
I guess not every artist gets massive promotional support they need to get their music known to the general public. It has to do with payola. Anyway, it gets boring listening to the same old, same old year after year after year. I find it a lot interesting to discover great, fairly unknown music on my own. I do not need publications like Rolling Stone to tell me what is worth hearing and what is not. Of course, it is the continued over exposure of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, The Who, Bruce Springsteen, U2, Billy Joel, Eric Clapton and Bob Marley. I was sick of those rock acts thirty years ago. The modern country acts are just as banal. I was simply disgusted by people slobbering all over an aging Paul McCartney and giving him Grammy awards that he does not deserve. He can barely sing and his new material is garbage. I looked up as many rock and rockabilly artists as I could think of that might be on You Tube. That is how I went from Johnny Rivers to Eddie Cochran to Gene Vincent And The Blue Caps to Dion to Link Wray. If I like what I hear, I search for some little known music that I may have never heard before. I've found the Flamin' Groovies on a compilation disc years ago and became a fan of their work. I like not following the crowd when listening to music. It is more personal.
Wrong AGAIN Rick

Chipping Norton, Australia

#14727 Jul 16, 2014
RICK wrote:
Rolling Stone has prominently featured the new That's The Way It Is boxed set.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-e...

That's right - something from 1970! And a good review, too!

And Link Wray is frequently mentioned in the magazine.

How is RS biased against Elvis again?
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#14729 Jul 17, 2014
RICK wrote:
Obviously, Link Wray would never be in Billboard because he has very little charted singles and no albums that even made the Billboard 200. However, Rolling Stone did feature him in a couple small articles, especially after he passed away in 2005. It is sad that Link was not honored in The Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame while he was still living though. What I like about Link Wray is that he was still playing until the very end. His band were a bunch of Punk kids and he traveled on the road with them in a van. He was seventy-six years old.

Very cool.
dreamingofelvis

Australia

#14733 Jul 19, 2014
Thanks for your informative and interesting posts Octopus. I have much to look forward with regard to music thanks of you. I believe in giving credit where due, though as you say, it's a pity some of these artists weren't given that due to them.
Have a nice weekend.
Cheers. DOE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll The Beatles VS. Elton John Mon Nergdnur Ddot 1
News Keith Richards criticises The Beatles as a live... Jul 19 Greg 1
Dr BLT's Song Sequel to LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DI... Jul 17 Bruce 1
Blackbird lands on Bourée E minor Jul 17 Enortec the observer 3
News Bryan Adams rocks the Greek on his way to Irvine Jul 13 t adams 1
Starr is shining Jul 7 Greg 1
For your eyes only (Feb '15) May '16 Little monster 42
More from around the web