150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 20 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#14013 Dec 19, 2013
To Rick: I am a huge Evel Knievel fan. Let me correct you on a small minor detail, Knievel didn't jumped the Grand Canyon, it was the Snake River Canyon. Moreover, the throngs of people who attended this historic event, were expecting to see Elvis in the audience as part of the spectacle, but Elvis didn't show.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#14014 Dec 19, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>This is going to show my age, but I remember all of those people, & I watched all of their shows when I was a kid.
My favorite show was "The Rockford Files"

James Garner was always getting beat up and I loved his Pontiac Firebird.

It was a great show.

Of course, seventies television was tame compared to what it is today but I watched a lot more television than I do now.

I had The Six Million Dollar Man doll when I was a kid.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#14015 Dec 19, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
To Octo and Chris: A lot has been said in the 1970's about Knievel's admiration for Elvis and vice versa. Knievel was one of the biggest moneymakers in the 1970's. Apart from his prowess, as a motorcycle and daredevil stuntman, Knievel, who was born in Butte Montana, was a classic showman with an incredible amount of Charisma. He was to later state to George Hamilton, who portrayed Knievel in his biographical movie
(released in 1970) that he wanted to be recognized as "the Elvis of Motorcycle stunts" and that "one of his biggest thrills was meeting Elvis, which happened through Alan Fortas, a member of the Memphis Mafia,(who introduced them to each other in 1967. This was at the height of Presley's crazed period with Triumph motorcycles. This account can be found in Marty Lacker's biography on Elvis Titled "Portrait of a Friend".
I have Marty Lacker's "Portrait Of A Friend" but I've have not read it in years. Ed Parker wrote a strange one called, "Inside Elvis" and I met him in 1979 at an Elvis convention. He signed my book. If I recall correctly, Ed Parker claimed that Elvis wanted to design a house that looked like a spaceship or a UFO and was planning on having it built. I haven't read that one in years either.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#14017 Dec 19, 2013
To Octo: How right you are. I am not sure, how he wanted it done. I believe along the same model of Bob Hope's home in Toluca Drive somewhere in Beverly hills. If you have ever seen pictures of that particular house, it sure looks like a spaceship. Moreover if you ever get the chance of rereading Parker's "Inside Elvis" there is a part in that book where Parker states, that he didn't believe that Elvis ever used drugs. Furthermore, now you have people coming forward and spilling the goods about their encounter with Elvis. Another encounter which is talked a lot now, is of course, his friendship with Muhammad Ali. Presley gave Ali a white robe laced with gold, emblazoned with the word's "The Peoples champ'". Ali wore it the night he lost and got his jaw broken by Ken Norton In San Diego on March 31 1973. A lot of stories are coming out now pertaining to Presley's friendship and association with television and sports personalities.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#14020 Dec 19, 2013
In Fact Octo: Robbie Knievel,(Evel's son) has spoken at length about his father's association with Steve Mcqueen, Muhammad Ali, and Elvis.
And to quote Robbie Knievel, who said "my father wanted to be as big as Elvis in popularity stature". They however,were not close friends. They very seldom spoke to one another, and never in public view. The Colonel believed that it was bad for Presley's image to be seen or associated with Knievel, who was a convicted felon many times over. Case in Point: Knievel got his nickname "Evel" when he was locked up in Butte Montana, with a guy called "Awful Knoeffel". A jailhouse guard was quoted in divulging the rhetoric of " We got Evel Knievel and Awful Knoeffel, side by side in different cells". That is how Robert Craig Knievel, came to be known as "Evel Knievel". Knievel had spent a lot of time in jail before hitting the big time, and thus, becoming a household name in the 1970's.
Chris

East Lansing, MI

#14022 Dec 19, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
My favorite show was "The Rockford Files"
James Garner was always getting beat up and I loved his Pontiac Firebird.
It was a great show.
Of course, seventies television was tame compared to what it is today but I watched a lot more television than I do now.
I had The Six Million Dollar Man doll when I was a kid.
I also had the Six Million Dollar Man Doll. I also had the original GI Joe doll. You're right, TV was much tamer back then, but it was still good. We only had 3-4 channels, so it really sucked if the President was giving a speech.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#14024 Dec 20, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I also had the Six Million Dollar Man Doll. I also had the original GI Joe doll. You're right, TV was much tamer back then, but it was still good. We only had 3-4 channels, so it really sucked if the President was giving a speech.
A lot changed over the years and I guess my nieces would be bored if they had to watch those old seventies shows. We had black and white televisions that were built inside wood. And to change the station, you turned a dial on the set. My grandparents had early cable, which was push button and it still did not give you that many channels. Because television was so limited in its programing, I remember the stations would actually go off the air, which is unheard of today. And yes, the president would cut into the regular prime time line up and you'll miss what was on. Television has come a long way but as an adult, I find it boring. I rather be on the computer and listen to music. My wife has to have the television to watch her crappy woman shows. It is funny that I had the GI Joe doll as well. Of course, the seventies was such an innocent time growing up. But the music was good. The eighties saw a lot more changes with MTV. We used to watch it all the time because it was all music videos.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#14025 Dec 20, 2013
Victor Abreu Miami Beach wrote:
To Octo: How right you are. I am not sure, how he wanted it done. I believe along the same model of Bob Hope's home in Toluca Drive somewhere in Beverly hills. If you have ever seen pictures of that particular house, it sure looks like a spaceship. Moreover if you ever get the chance of rereading Parker's "Inside Elvis" there is a part in that book where Parker states, that he didn't believe that Elvis ever used drugs. Furthermore, now you have people coming forward and spilling the goods about their encounter with Elvis. Another encounter which is talked a lot now, is of course, his friendship with Muhammad Ali. Presley gave Ali a white robe laced with gold, emblazoned with the word's "The Peoples champ'". Ali wore it the night he lost and got his jaw broken by Ken Norton In San Diego on March 31 1973. A lot of stories are coming out now pertaining to Presley's friendship and association with television and sports personalities.
I thought Muhammad Ali was cool as hell. I watched boxing with my father. There are a couple famous pictures of Elvis and Muhammad Ali together in Las Vegas. I like the one where Elvis has his fist in Ali's face.(shades of one of my favorite Elvis movie's "Kid Galahad") Elvis was a dreamer and certainly liked UFO's. I think I've read that Elvis even claimed to have seen a spaceship in the sky one time. A lot of different celebrities saw Elvis perform either in Las Vegas/Tahoe or on the road. It is fun listening to the concerts because Elvis always introduced them to the audience from the stage. Bob Hope saw Elvis in Las Vegas in 1973. I never knew that he had a house designed like a spaceship. I know that Bob Hope liked playing golf with guys like Bing Crosby.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#14026 Dec 20, 2013
In Fact Octo: Robbie Knievel,(Evel's son) has spoken at length about his father's association with Steve Mcqueen, Muhammad Ali, and Elvis.
And to quote Robbie Knievel, who said "my father wanted to be as big as Elvis in popularity stature". They however,were not close friends. They very seldom spoke to one another, and never in public view. The Colonel believed that it was bad for Presley's image to be seen or associated with Knievel, who was a convicted felon many times over. Case in Point: Knievel got his nickname "Evel" when he was locked up in Butte Montana, with a guy called "Awful Knoeffel". A jailhouse guard was quoted in divulging the rhetoric of " We got Evel Knievel and Awful Knoeffel, side by side in different cells". That is how Robert Craig Knievel, came to be known as "Evel Knievel". Knievel had spent a lot of time in jail before hitting the big time, and thus, becoming a household name in the 1970's.
Evel Knievel was an interesting figure. He did some crazy stunts. He also wore a jumpsuit costume when he jumped over cars or whatever. He was nuts and broke a lot of bones in his lifetime. Elvis did his own stunts for "Roustabout" on a motorcycle in the beginning of the movie. I do not think the colonel wanted Elvis doing those things because being hurt meant that Elvis wouldn't be making money. Even though the music in "Roustabout" was a bit strange with its carny theme, the movie was one of his better efforts in 1964.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#14028 Dec 20, 2013
To Octo: Yea !! I am a huge boxing fanatic as well. My dad and I, also went to the major fights in the 1970's and 80's. Growing up in Miami, we used to go to the Fifth Street Gym in Miami Beach to watched Muhammad Ali trained many times. We saw many great fighters, including Roberto Duran and Alexis Arguello. Remember them? The gym was owned by Chris Dundee, Angelo's brother, who of course, was Ali's trainer. Hell, that brings a lot of memories. I must be getting old. I 'm going to be turning 50, in March of next year. Lol.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#14030 Dec 20, 2013
Yea Octo: The Roustabout album, was a pretty good album. It hit number one in 1964 the year I was born. It was his last number one album until 1973, when he hit number one again with the 'Aloha album'. I remember growing up and playing the Roustabout album constantly in the 1970's. I played the album incessantly. it's always been one of my favorite albums. Two of my favorite songs from the album are "Little Egypt" and "Its a Wonderful World".
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#14031 Dec 20, 2013
To Octo: Yea !! I am a huge boxing fanatic as well. My dad and I, also went to the major fights in the 1970's and 80's. Growing up in Miami, we used to go to the Fifth Street Gym in Miami Beach to watched Muhammad Ali trained many times. We saw many great fighters, including Roberto Duran and Alexis Arguello. Remember them? The gym was owned by Chris Dundee, Angelo's brother, who of course, was Ali's trainer. Hell, that brings a lot of memories. I must be getting old. I 'm going to be turning 50, in March of next year. Lol.
Actually, I always thought that Ben Becker was Muhammad Ali's trainer. He used to have a kid camp close to where I still live. He is dead now but the old man could still pack a punch. I went to his camp when I was nine or ten.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#14032 Dec 20, 2013
To Octo: More interestingly, and for some some reason, Elvis supported Ali's stance on Vietnam. Publicly, he pretty much kept his views to himself. Privately it was another matter. He endorsed Ali's stance and his status for standing up for what he believed in. This is a little known fact about Elvis. In fact, he attended a closed circuit telecast the night of Ali's fight with "Smoking" Joe Frazier, held in Ellis Auditorium in Downtown Memphis, and openly cheered for Ali. Keep in mind that Ali was extremely unpopular back then with the so called "white establishment" . Yet Elvis, openly supported him, in all his endeavors and dilemmas. That is another among many reasons, that I admired Elvis so much.He had a mind of his own, and didn't cater to any one's point of view or interests.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#14035 Dec 20, 2013
To Octo: Muhammad Ali had an incredible entourage. His famous trainer that guided him since he turned pro in 1960, was Angelo Dundee. He also had other famous cornermen alongside him in all of his fights. They were Wali Muhammad, Ferdie Pacheco named (The fight Doctor) and of course, his legendary sidekick "Drew" Bundini Brown" who invented the
"Float like a Butterfly Sting like a bee" Chant!! Boy didn't we grow up in a marvelous time? Elvis and Muhammad Ali were truly revolutionary, don't you think? There is no one today, that can rival in popularity or accomplishments, these two unique individuals. I am glad I saw them both in person.
Just Curious

Ennis, TX

#14036 Dec 20, 2013
Hey guys, who do you think would have won in a fight (out of the ring) between Ed Parker and Ali? I know Ali was fast but if you look up Ed Parker on you tube, you will see he was super fast with his moves dispite his size.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#14037 Dec 20, 2013
Yea Octo!! you bring out a good point. Ben Becker knew Ali very well. In fact, Ali had another training camp in Deer Lake Pennsylvania. I believe not too far from where you reside, in Schenectady, New York. Becker, would visit that particular camp, and assist Ali in all of his training endeavors.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#14038 Dec 20, 2013
Gotta be stepping out now Octo, I'll touch bases with you later my friend. Peace out.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#14039 Dec 20, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
To Octo: Muhammad Ali had an incredible entourage. His famous trainer that guided him since he turned pro in 1960, was Angelo Dundee. He also had other famous cornermen alongside him in all of his fights. They were Wali Muhammad, Ferdie Pacheco named (The fight Doctor) and of course, his legendary sidekick "Drew" Bundini Brown" who invented the
"Float like a Butterfly Sting like a bee" Chant!! Boy didn't we grow up in a marvelous time? Elvis and Muhammad Ali were truly revolutionary, don't you think? There is no one today, that can rival in popularity or accomplishments, these two unique individuals. I am glad I saw them both in person.
Ali must have had more than one trainer then. Have you ever heard of Ben Becker? I was quite impressed by him. I do not know when he trained Ali. It might have been a long time ago. Possibly when Ali was very young.

I remember watching Ali's very last fight in 1980.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#14040 Dec 20, 2013
Just Curious: Two different sports.However, Ali was an incredible fighter. He fought a Martial arts expert and wrestler named "Antonio Inoki', and Inoki could not touch him. In fact, Ali's incredible jab bloodied Inoki's face to a pulp. Parker would have never been able to deal with Ali's incredible speed!! We are talking about the fleet footed,lightning fast punching Ali. No contest!! Ali wins on clear cut stoppage. Gotta go my friends. Peace out.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#14041 Dec 20, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Yea Octo!! you bring out a good point. Ben Becker knew Ali very well. In fact, Ali had another training camp in Deer Lake Pennsylvania. I believe not too far from where you reside, in Schenectady, New York. Becker, would visit that particular camp, and assist Ali in all of his training endeavors.
It was a long time ago but I still remember Ben Becker. He was very cool for an old guy. I was stunned as a kid knowing that he trained Ali and I knew that Elvis was also friends with the boxing legend. Elvis did a fantastic job with "Kid Galahad" Another cool factor is that Charles Bronson was in the film with Elvis.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jax parade and concert: 'American Idol' hopeful... 23 hr All That I Am 3
News Watch Baltimore's Michael Jackson Protestor Per... May 2 Amazing Grace 2
News Paul McCartney Debuts The Beatles Song In Japan Apr 30 WOMDRUDAEGUMIDEBD... 5
News Chris Crofton, Advice King: The Merits of Colle... Apr 29 January 32
For your eyes only Apr 28 Shut UP Maria 20
News Longtime Allendale music aficionado eager to ad... Apr 20 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News Get over this wife-beating poseur Apr 19 Ex Beatle Fan 4
More from around the web