150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 20 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13667 Dec 1, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you, the Beatles deserve criticism for some of their faults, just like Elvis, after all, noone is perfect. I know Elvis was stuck doing those movies because he was under contract. And some of the material that was chosen for him was pretty bad. I've seen most of them, & there are a few that were pretty good. Plus, his acting got better with each move. It would've been cool to see him do a movie, later in his life, that he hand picked himself. But, I think after his movie contract was up, he wanted to get back to doing what he did best, make music & perform live. If he had lived longer, maybe he would've gone back to making movies, after he retired from music. But, sadly, we will never know the answer to those questions. Speaking of sad news, I just found out today, that actor Paul Walker died yesterday in a car accident. RIP Paul Walker.
Ok. I had to goggle Paul Walker because I did not know who you were talking about. "Fast And Furious"
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#13672 Dec 2, 2013
Victor Abreu Miami Beach wrote:
Gentlemen: I have just received more information from members of different respective Elvis Fan clubs, establishing the fact that a lot of work has been put through the years,in making sure that Elvis Presley gets his just due, from the Recording Industry Association Of America. I am posting the albums awaiting ratification in sales from the RIAA in 2014. I have been told that many of these albums have been awaiting certification for years, and that the majority of these albums have reached or surpassed the coveted mark of 500 thousand units sold and are eligible for gold record status. some of the others are upgrades.
1. An Afternoon in the Garden-To be certified Gold.
2. White Christmas-To be certified Gold.
3.Elvis Country-Had sold 975 thousand units and has surpass the 1 million mark in sales to be upgraded to Platinum.
4.Elvis By the Presley's-A two disc multiplier to be certified gold.
5. The Essential Elvis Presley-A two disc multiplier certified Gold to be upgraded to platinum status.
6.Christmas Duets-To be certified Gold.
7.Pot Luck-Had sold 475 thousand units and has surpass the 500 thousand mark in sales-to be certified Gold
8.love Letters-Closing in on the 500 thousand mark and being reviewed for RIAA Gold record certification.
9.Good Times-To be certified Gold
10. Promised Land-To be certified Gold.
11. Elvis Today-To be certified Gold.
These other albums being posted shall also receive posthumous certification in 2014. Many of these are soundtracks that charted in the top ten when released. For your information, I am also putting their respective charting positions.
1. Fun In Acapulco- To be certified Gold.
Charted #3 on US charts.
2. It Happened At The World's Fair-To be certified Gold. charted #4 on US charts.
3. Kissin Cousins-To be certified Gold.
charted #6 on US charts.
4. Harum Scarum-To be certified Gold. Charted #8 on US charts.
5. Paradise Hawaiian Style-To be certified Gold
charted #15 on US charts.
6. Spinout-To be certified Gold. charted #18 on
US charts.
7. Double Trouble-To be certified Gold. charted
#47 on US charts.
8. Clambake-To be certified Gold. charted #40 on
US charts.
9. Speedway-To be certified Gold. charted #82 on US charts.
Furthermore, I still have no word on other units that are presently being reviewed by the RIAA. For Example, "Elvis for Everyone" has sold over 450 thousand units and maybe awaiting certification. Moreover "For LP Fans Only" and "A Date With Elvis" may be awaiting certification as well.
There are many other albums which have been reviewed for RIAA certification that I have not listed. As previously stated, these certifications will happen next year. Yet, I have not been told when. To reiterate, I will do my best to keep you posted should I receive more information.
Thank you for your time and courtesy.
Happy Holidays
from Victor Manuel Abreu.,
Great News! It's almost like getting another Christmas gift, early! Happy Holidays!
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#13673 Dec 2, 2013
Wow,Victor,that's a lot of albums that are going to be certified for Elvis,I always knew that these albums were more popular than they were given credit for,a lot of these albums are staples of many Elvis fans collections,mine and yours and Octo's as well,and as far as The Beatles are concerned,Octo,to the 60's counterculture media,they can do no wrong.They ignore the fact that John was a Heroin addict and had an odd relationship with their homosexual manager,Brian Epstein,George and Paul arrested for drug possession,and Ringo's alcoholism and wife beating,all these facts get swept under the table by these hypocrites,but they are ALWAYS quick to point out Elvis's imperfections,aren't they,peace out.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13674 Dec 2, 2013
I have been reading through my excellent book called, "The Rise And Fall Of The Secret Bootleg Industry" and the sixties rock culture did have a bias against Elvis for the most part. They called Elvis's Las Vegas self an embarrassment to explain why there weren't many Elvis bootlegs of his live performances being taped. Of course, we know that is completely false but some people still believe that. What is interesting is they talk about the first rock bootlegs like Bob Dylan's "Great White Wonder" The Beatles "Kum Back" and live audience recordings like The Rolling Stones "LiveR Than You'll Ever Be" Led Zeppelin's "Blueberry Hill" in the late sixties and early 1970. Elvis's concerts around that time rocked. The sound quality of these audiences are way superior also. I know because of the lack of attention giving to Elvis by the counterculture media press, the original classic Vegas show, "The Hillbilly Cat" was an early example of an Elvis vinyl bootleg. The sixties culture likes to claim what they always believed and some think that all Elvis fans are crazy. The Stones "LiveR Than You'll Ever Be" is often claimed by them as the best sounding audience recording ever made up until that time. Yet, it sounds like shit. Elvis has some incredible sounding stuff taped by Elvis fans. But the sixties culture still feeds their old, tied bunk even today. It is rather laughable when you know better. Elvis kicked ass.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13676 Dec 2, 2013
RICK wrote:
Wow,Victor,that's a lot of albums that are going to be certified for Elvis,I always knew that these albums were more popular than they were given credit for,a lot of these albums are staples of many Elvis fans collections,mine and yours and Octo's as well,and as far as The Beatles are concerned,Octo,to the 60's counterculture media,they can do no wrong.They ignore the fact that John was a Heroin addict and had an odd relationship with their homosexual manager,Brian Epstein,George and Paul arrested for drug possession,and Ringo's alcoholism and wife beating,all these facts get swept under the table by these hypocrites,but they are ALWAYS quick to point out Elvis's imperfections,aren't they,peace out.
I am happy that the RIAA is finally making an effort to find and credit Elvis for his lost sales with his new, more recent ones. I remember how Rolling Stone magazine promoted Albert Goldman's trash Elvis book in the early eighties by putting Elvis on the cover and they had a big article on it but totally ignored Goldman's trash book on John Lennon. Of course, they expect Elvis fans to accept it and be quiet while they continue their glorious praise of The Beatles. It is not that I hate The Beatles but I believe that they have been very unfair to Elvis for many, many years. They feel the need to dismiss or discredit him in favor of The Beatles. In my opinion, it is a cheap shot at the loyality of Elvis fans.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13679 Dec 2, 2013
Hesdeadgetoverit wrote:
<quoted text>Oh!! what a shame....all elvis' fans have their feelings hurt. Octopus you really have some serious issues, along with your strange little friends here. You must spend more time worrying about your dead fat pop singer, than you do about your own life and family. Boo Hoo!! that nasty old 60's counter-culture.
I am a rock collector that collects imports and enjoys hearing real music and not the crap that is forced onto the public today. Since Elvis will be awarded twenty more gold and platinum certifications beginning early next year, it merely confirms my excitement as he will continue being the biggest selling artist of all time. I do not give a shit about the sixties counter-culture or their laughable opinions of their dated hyped up bands. None of their dead artists are adding multiple gold and platinums to their tally, are they? And besides troll, you know nothing about my life or my family. That is just too bad, isn't it? In reality, true legends never really die. Who cares what you think, you jealous worm...
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#13682 Dec 2, 2013
To Rick, Dennis and Octo!! It will definitely happened guys. Even though, it is quite unnecessary. Elvis is the most successful act ever, even if the powers that be think so or not.

Hey Octo!! let me ask you a question. Why do you bother responding to an ignorant troll that goes by the name of Hesdeadgetverit? Sounds like a French punk from the wrong side of the Canadian tracks. You're too much of a man for that. Peace out my friend!!

Since: Jun 13

Durham, NC

#13683 Dec 2, 2013
^ I'd ignore dude too. Adds nothing to the conversation, just looking for a fight.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#13684 Dec 2, 2013
Right on BadMan84: Nice to hear from you again. As stated, this dude is a damn nuisance. Doesn't have anything constructive to bring to this forum.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#13690 Dec 3, 2013
Hey,Kingie,lay off Victor,he's a fine gentleman and always has a lot of interesting insider info about the RIAA and Elvis future certifications.And getting back to the hypocrisy of the 60's counterculture influenced media,Chuck Berry,Little Richard,Buddy Holly,Fats Domino,The Everly Brothers,Bill Haley,Eddie Cochran should and should've thanked their lucky stars that they were not in Elvis's place as no.1 ALL TIME.Because Elvis was not only number one of that era but of ANY era,Elvis is the lightning rod of the 60's influenced media's true DISDAIN of Elvis and 50's Rock and Roll and anything that came before the 1960's,even though Elvis was less than a decade before and enjoyed greater commercial and in my opinion artistic success in the 60's and 70's,but are jealous and resentful of his status as a mass cult phenomenon,which fuels the negative caricatures and nasty articles filled with pure vitriolic hate of the man,that's the media for you,peace out.

Since: Jul 08

KELOWNA

#13691 Dec 3, 2013
RICK wrote:
Hey,Kingie,lay off Victor,he's a fine gentleman and always has a lot of interesting insider info about the RIAA and Elvis future certifications.And getting back to the hypocrisy of the 60's counterculture influenced media,Chuck Berry,Little Richard,Buddy Holly,Fats Domino,The Everly Brothers,Bill Haley,Eddie Cochran should and should've thanked their lucky stars that they were not in Elvis's place as no.1 ALL TIME.Because Elvis was not only number one of that era but of ANY era,Elvis is the lightning rod of the 60's influenced media's true DISDAIN of Elvis and 50's Rock and Roll and anything that came before the 1960's,even though Elvis was less than a decade before and enjoyed greater commercial and in my opinion artistic success in the 60's and 70's,but are jealous and resentful of his status as a mass cult phenomenon,which fuels the negative caricatures and nasty articles filled with pure vitriolic hate of the man,that's the media for you,peace out.
Ricky before you hit the "post comment" button take another look at your posts, take some time out and go back to school. Illiterate loser.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13692 Dec 3, 2013
To Rick, Dennis and Octo!! It will definitely happened guys. Even though, it is quite unnecessary. Elvis is the most successful act ever, even if the powers that be think so or not.
Hey Octo!! let me ask you a question. Why do you bother responding to an ignorant troll that goes by the name of Hesdeadgetverit? Sounds like a French punk from the wrong side of the Canadian tracks. You're too much of a man for that. Peace out my friend!!
I am not trying to brag or anything like that because I never expected Elvis to be still getting gold and platinum awards at this late date. The man has been dead for over thirty six years. That being said, I did not buy Elvis's entire original catalog on CD because I thought that they sold millions. I buy music strictly because I enjoy the artist. Elvis getting twenty updates or upgrades to his sales is quite impressive nevertheless. It just shows how much fans truly love Elvis after all this time. Of course, some have always picked on Elvis fans because they are jealous of his continued success. It is like they actually believe that Elvis fans will stop being loyal because they tell them to. That has never happened and never will. Frankly, having lived through the eighties Heavy Metal era, I was told that Elvis was fading away then. Still hasn't happened. It says a lot about how great of an artist and legend Elvis is. I enjoy the concerts and the studio outtake material. It gets better and better. Who cares what an ignorant troll might think? I've heard it all before and it hasn't changed my mind yet. To me, Elvis still is the best. I know what I hear. The music keeps evolving and changing all the time. Elvis had to be brilliant to pull that off. Amazing, really.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#13693 Dec 3, 2013
Elvis is having resurgence in popularity- I think new MSG and Stax releases sounded awesome loved the new mixes and remastering. Maybe they didnt sell huge but his Christmas recording are big sellers again this year. Top 5 album in UK with Nation favorite Elvis Songs and Susan BoylE Duet could give him a #1 UK single.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13694 Dec 3, 2013
BTW, the fact that Elvis can amass a total of twenty new gold and platinum certifications this coming in early 2014 is mindboggling. No other major artist past or present is doing those staggering numbers except for Elvis. It is that kind of loyality that very few will ever match. It definitely shows that Elvis's special relationship with his fans has never faltered. I've been to the sold out Fed Ex arena concert with The TCB Band on August 16th 2007. That was quite a sight to see. It is obvious that despite what some in the media might want to believe, Elvis will never really die to his true fans. Every artist would love to have the legacy Elvis left behind. The only other musical act that comes even close to Elvis with that kind of legendary standing is that of The Beatles. For better or worse, Elvis obviously does not need to prove anything more. Everything extra is merely icing on the cake.
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#13695 Dec 3, 2013
TO OCTO: Notwithstanding, I agree with everything you said. Peace out:

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#13699 Dec 3, 2013
Octopus wrote:
I have been reading through my excellent book called, "The Rise And Fall Of The Secret Bootleg Industry" and the sixties rock culture did have a bias against Elvis for the most part. They called Elvis's Las Vegas self an embarrassment to explain why there weren't many Elvis bootlegs of his live performances being taped. Of course, we know that is completely false but some people still believe that. What is interesting is they talk about the first rock bootlegs like Bob Dylan's "Great White Wonder" The Beatles "Kum Back" and live audience recordings like The Rolling Stones "LiveR Than You'll Ever Be" Led Zeppelin's "Blueberry Hill" in the late sixties and early 1970. Elvis's concerts around that time rocked. The sound quality of these audiences are way superior also. I know because of the lack of attention giving to Elvis by the counterculture media press, the original classic Vegas show, "The Hillbilly Cat" was an early example of an Elvis vinyl bootleg. The sixties culture likes to claim what they always believed and some think that all Elvis fans are crazy. The Stones "LiveR Than You'll Ever Be" is often claimed by them as the best sounding audience recording ever made up until that time. Yet, it sounds like shit. Elvis has some incredible sounding stuff taped by Elvis fans. But the sixties culture still feeds their old, tied bunk even today. It is rather laughable when you know better. Elvis kicked ass.
The book sounds interesting. I'll have to read it. I have to agree in that there was a bias against Elvis, during the late 60's. However, many people still enjoyed his music. By the 1980's, though, his reputation shined through. I remember a DJ I listened to when I had to get up early was very enthusiastic about Elvis -- as was his audience. There were also bands, one in particular, that nodded and showed respect for Elvis's influence.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13701 Dec 3, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
The book sounds interesting. I'll have to read it. I have to agree in that there was a bias against Elvis, during the late 60's. However, many people still enjoyed his music. By the 1980's, though, his reputation shined through. I remember a DJ I listened to when I had to get up early was very enthusiastic about Elvis -- as was his audience. There were also bands, one in particular, that nodded and showed respect for Elvis's influence.
The book was written by Clinton Heylin and goes back into the history of bootlegging music, which before rock, was mainly done to record classical and Opera. It has an interesting connection to illegal gambling and the mob. Back in the days of juke boxes where people put money into slots to hear records, the mob did not want to buy the 45's, so they basically bootleged them for their machines. It is quite a fascinating book on how that underground enterprise came to be as time went by in the dawn of the classic rock era of the late sixties onwards...

I've heard from one of my Elvis fan friends that there was always a bias against Elvis in the early seventies when he was in High School. It was the singer songwriter era but my friend did not care. He still remained a loyal Elvis fan regardless and has seen him live a few times during that time period. In fact, he has just given be an uncirculated audience CD of an incomplete Elvis concert from June 17th 1977 in Springfield, Mo. The sound is not great because the taper was not near the stage but Elvis is clear enough to hear what he was singing. The CD came with a great unpublished picture and Elvis looked and sounded fantastic that night. It was a good nine days before his very last concert in Indy.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13703 Dec 4, 2013
TO OCTO: Notwithstanding, I agree with everything you said. Peace out:
Thank you, Victor. I do try to express myself as clearly as possible. There has been a few nasty comments about my obssession with Elvis by many people I've known through the years but I just laugh it off. Actually, the most recent comment came from my wife's girlfriend who thought my house was a shrine to Elvis. My hobby does not hurt anyone and I get many hours of pleasure from listening and collecting Elvis. I do not try to look or act like him so I do not see what the big deal is. After all, I've been an Elvis fan since 1976 when I was just ten years old.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13704 Dec 4, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll have to correct the exact title of the book, Len.

"Bootleg: The Rise And Fall Of The Secret Recording Industry"

It is written by Clinton Heylin and published by Omnibus press.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#13705 Dec 4, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll have to correct the exact title of the book, Len.
"Bootleg: The Rise And Fall Of The Secret Recording Industry"
It is written by Clinton Heylin and published by Omnibus press.
Thank you for the into, Octo. I'll have to read it. Since I was given so much bootleg, by a friend, of concerts from Bob Dylan, the Velvet Underground, and Einstuerzende Neubauten, I am intrigued by it. I thought an ex-boyfriend had given me copies of Frank Zappa bootleg. But now, I know better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jax parade and concert: 'American Idol' hopeful... Sun I Got Stung 2
News Watch Baltimore's Michael Jackson Protestor Per... May 2 Amazing Grace 2
News Paul McCartney Debuts The Beatles Song In Japan Apr 30 WOMDRUDAEGUMIDEBD... 5
News Chris Crofton, Advice King: The Merits of Colle... Apr 29 January 32
For your eyes only Apr 28 Shut UP Maria 20
News Longtime Allendale music aficionado eager to ad... Apr 20 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News Get over this wife-beating poseur Apr 19 Ex Beatle Fan 4
More from around the web