150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12904 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Since: Jul 08

KELOWNA

#13332 Nov 14, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I have that Beatles VeeJay album as well. It can be quite valuable, but it may actually be a counterfeit.
VeeJay were bona-fide releases.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#13334 Nov 15, 2013
Well,I guess the rules are the rules as far as the budget album situation goes,it's just that Elvis was so successful with these albums,ALL 15 releases reaching gold,platinum and multi-platinum status,1 album reaching diamond status,but I guess the important thing is that these sales are counted and recognized,but the RIAA still has a lot of work to do in counting ALL his record sales,but Victor says this problem will be rectified soon,I sure hope so,if not,my criticism of this organization will be much harsher,peace out

KELOWNA

#13335 Nov 15, 2013
RICK wrote:
if not,my criticism of this organization will be much harsher,peace out
I'm sure the RIAA will be sorely distressed to hear of your displeasure Ricky, why not write them a scathing letter....

PS, if you do decide to write to them please make an effort with your writing skills.
Chris

United States

#13336 Nov 15, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>VeeJay were bona-fide releases.
Look it up. I read somewhere that some of the VeeJay records were either counterfeit or reprints. I bought one brand new at a record shop back in the eighties. It has to be a reprint, at the very least. Their is no way a brand new copy survived in a record shop since the sixties.
Chris

United States

#13337 Nov 15, 2013
RICK wrote:
Well,I guess the rules are the rules as far as the budget album situation goes,it's just that Elvis was so successful with these albums,ALL 15 releases reaching gold,platinum and multi-platinum status,1 album reaching diamond status,but I guess the important thing is that these sales are counted and recognized,but the RIAA still has a lot of work to do in counting ALL his record sales,but Victor says this problem will be rectified soon,I sure hope so,if not,my criticism of this organization will be much harsher,peace out
Rules are rules Rick. But, regardless of those rules, Elvis is still the top selling artist of all time. He also has the most gold & platinum records, as you have previously informed us of this fact. No matter what, that is not likely to change anytime soon.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13338 Nov 15, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>The rules are the rules, artists and management know them, and they are put there to make the playing field fair and to protect them. Rick would be the first to complain if the Beatles catalog were all to come out as budget Albums and topple an elvis' record. Remember the JayZ thing a little while back? He gave away a million copies of his albums, and then was pissed that they weren't counted as sales. Does "Whining Ricky" agree with this?
The Col and RCA did some strange things with some of the Elvis releases and scattered some great seventies songs by mismatching them with bits and pieces of ridicious movie material. They could've put out some great Elvis albums using lost singles like "Where Did They Go, Lord" "It's Only Love" "I'm Leavin'" "The Sound Of Your Cry" and arranged them with "It's A Matter Of Time" "Burning Love" "Separate Ways" "For The Good Times" and "Always On My Mind" They would have made some excellent full priced albums. Though the Camden budget albums were fantastic sellers, they were artless. While true that Elvis released brand new ten track albums through out the seventies, some people might not realize that the budget albums were meant to sell older, less known Elvis movie songs to fill a gap. Both "Let's Be Friends" and "Almost In Love" worked because the material sounded good together. However, "Separate Ways" did not. The single, "Always On My Mind" was a lost opportunity for a much bigger hit because instead of being surrounded by great new songs, it was released along side "Old Shep" RCA was clueless.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13339 Nov 15, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Look it up. I read somewhere that some of the VeeJay records were either counterfeit or reprints. I bought one brand new at a record shop back in the eighties. It has to be a reprint, at the very least. Their is no way a brand new copy survived in a record shop since the sixties.
I remember getting the Beatle Vee Jay album, "Songs And Pictures" at a drug store in the early eighties. They were sold cheap. Of course, they are not available on CD. I also remember The Beatles US only Capital releases, all are impossible to find these days. I am sure that the Vee Jay LP was a reprint of the original album but since they are still very rare, they probably are worth some money. They had fairly decent sound quality. I got the Holland import, "Beatles Greatest" at the same store. It has a very thin cover, no liner notes inside and the record was just sold in a paper sleeve. However, the songs blasted out in brilliant stereo. All the songs were mixed differently. Even as a kid, I was pleasantly surprised when I got home and put it on my record player. I've haven't seen it since.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13340 Nov 15, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I have that Beatles VeeJay album as well. It can be quite valuable, but it may actually be a counterfeit. You may want to do some research to find out. But, if you have one of the original pressings from the early 60s, then it most likely is real. That's cool that you have a record fair coming up. Good luck on finding some new Elvis. stuff to add to your collection.
I try to go to the record and CD fair every year because it is a lot of fun. They sell imports and bootlegs but they also sell rare records. The dealers sometimes have very expensive items that have never been opened and are still in their original plastic seal. I've found some Elvis EP's that are in mint condition. Of course, my main focus is to find alternate studio CD's and live stuff that I can actually listen to but I've found some great rare memorabilia on Elvis. I've seen some rare Beatles albums as well but Elvis comes first. I have to stay on budget though. I would love to get more but it is just a matter of choosing what a couple that I might desire more. Sometimes the dealer is willing to dicker or throw in an extra item. You never know.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13342 Nov 15, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember getting the Beatle Vee Jay album, "Songs And Pictures" at a drug store in the early eighties. They were sold cheap. Of course, they are not available on CD. I also remember The Beatles US only Capital releases, all are impossible to find these days. I am sure that the Vee Jay LP was a reprint of the original album but since they are still very rare, they probably are worth some money. They had fairly decent sound quality. I got the Holland import, "Beatles Greatest" at the same store. It has a very thin cover, no liner notes inside and the record was just sold in a paper sleeve. However, the songs blasted out in brilliant stereo. All the songs were mixed differently. Even as a kid, I was pleasantly surprised when I got home and put it on my record player. I've haven't seen it since.
I could bring my Beatles Vee Jay LP to the upcoming record fair because the dealers do buy or trade rare records but there is no way of truly knowing the real value. They could easily lie and not give me much for it. I rather just keep it. I still haven't actually seen an original "Yesterday And Today" butcher cover album. It would be interesting to find out how much they are actually worth in today's market. I've seen original Elvis Sun 45 rpm's and 78's at a record fair in Memphis in 2007 but they were way out of my price range. They were under lock and key inside a glass case and were going for anywhere from $5000 to $7000, depending on its condition.

KELOWNA

#13343 Nov 15, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Look it up. I read somewhere that some of the VeeJay records were either counterfeit or reprints. I bought one brand new at a record shop back in the eighties. It has to be a reprint, at the very least. Their is no way a brand new copy survived in a record shop since the sixties.
I wasn't saying that it wasn't a fake or whatever, just saying VeeJay was one of the US labels for the Beatles. I have given up debating on this forum, I now only state what I know as fact....:)

KELOWNA

#13344 Nov 15, 2013
Chris, the VJ releases aren't that valuable, they aren't that uncommon...Would you like a purple label VJ "please please me"..? That one will cost you a bit more tho. It don't sound any different, just has a purple label...$$$
maria

Heywood, UK

#13345 Nov 15, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I could bring my Beatles Vee Jay LP to the upcoming record fair because the dealers do buy or trade rare records but there is no way of truly knowing the real value. They could easily lie and not give me much for it. I rather just keep it. I still haven't actually seen an original "Yesterday And Today" butcher cover album. It would be interesting to find out how much they are actually worth in today's market. I've seen original Elvis Sun 45 rpm's and 78's at a record fair in Memphis in 2007 but they were way out of my price range. They were under lock and key inside a glass case and were going for anywhere from $5000 to $7000, depending on its condition.
Paul McCartney is on BBC 4 on UK TV right now in concert 2013.

15 11 2013
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13351 Nov 15, 2013
maria wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul McCartney is on BBC 4 on UK TV right now in concert 2013.
15 11 2013
I've seen that the newly remastered and packaged BBC Beatle discs are out in the stores. They are in paper fold out sleeves and are much more attractive than the first release of "Live At The BBC" in the mid 90's. I also saw Jimi Hendrix has a brand new previously unreleased concert CD from Miami out. Good Christmas gift items.
Chris

United States

#13355 Nov 15, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I have that Beatles Greatest record from Holland. I agree that record sounds really good. I have been doing some research on all of the various Beatles vinyl that was released around the world. It's interesting to note that different countries did a better job than other countries with their music releases. Generally, the UK gets high marks. It is the Beatles home country, so it stands to reason that their music would be handled with care. Other countries that get high marks are Japan, Germany & Sweden. The country that low marks for how they handled the Beatles music is the USA. Capital records remixed their music & added to much reverb. Also, they would chop up the releases to put more albums out. So when the Beatles would release an album with 14 songs on it in the UK & other countries, Capital would release the album with 10-11 songs, & save the remaining songs for a future release. The Beatles hated that they did this, but I guess they didn't have much control over it. When they released all of their music on CD, it was the first time the US had the albums as they were originally intended to be.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#13356 Nov 15, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure the RIAA will be sorely distressed to hear of your displeasure Ricky, why not write them a scathing letter....
PS, if you do decide to write to them please make an effort with your writing skills.
Please don't be nasty to these people. I find the discussions about music interesting and helpful. Why throw a sour note into it?
Chris

United States

#13357 Nov 15, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>I wasn't saying that it wasn't a fake or whatever, just saying VeeJay was one of the US labels for the Beatles. I have given up debating on this forum, I now only state what I know as fact....:)
I wasn't trying to debate with you, just saying what I read. I'm always trying to learn something new, so if I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.
Chris

United States

#13358 Nov 15, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen that the newly remastered and packaged BBC Beatle discs are out in the stores. They are in paper fold out sleeves and are much more attractive than the first release of "Live At The BBC" in the mid 90's. I also saw Jimi Hendrix has a brand new previously unreleased concert CD from Miami out. Good Christmas gift items.
Yeah the packaging on the new. BBC release does look very nice. In case you didn't know, they also remastered & re-released the first BBC album.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13359 Nov 16, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, I have that Beatles Greatest record from Holland. I agree that record sounds really good. I have been doing some research on all of the various Beatles vinyl that was released around the world. It's interesting to note that different countries did a better job than other countries with their music releases. Generally, the UK gets high marks. It is the Beatles home country, so it stands to reason that their music would be handled with care. Other countries that get high marks are Japan, Germany & Sweden. The country that low marks for how they handled the Beatles music is the USA. Capital records remixed their music & added to much reverb. Also, they would chop up the releases to put more albums out. So when the Beatles would release an album with 14 songs on it in the UK & other countries, Capital would release the album with 10-11 songs, & save the remaining songs for a future release. The Beatles hated that they did this, but I guess they didn't have much control over it. When they released all of their music on CD, it was the first time the US had the albums as they were originally intended to be.
Yes, I am amazed at some of the sound quality differences of the imports between the releases compared with the US. The imports from some countries certainly were way superior. I first heard it on the LP from Holland but I've got some of them on bootleg CD as well. The same can be said about Elvis titles that were released in different countries over the years. In a lot of cases, an alternate take was used that were quite different than what was heard in the US. The Beatles weren't the only ones that this was done to. It may have been because a country like Germany had stereo or more expensive advances way sooner than Americans. Back in the fifties to the mid sixties, the US had mostly mono recordings that were meant to be played on one speaker radio. I am totally blown away by my latest Elvis set because they are all take ones and yet, the songs all blast out in brilliant stereo. Obviously, they had to have been from the RCA vault in Germany. I have a set of four Elvis box sets that I had purchased years ago like that. However, right after I got them in the early 2000's, RCA stopped its production. These were mostly sixties Elvis tracks. Another box was supposed to contain seventies stereo outtakes but unfortunately, it never came out. They were obviously leaked out and the bootleggers were legally made to halt further sales of these amazing sounding Elvis recordings. But I am not complaining. At least, I am lucky enough to hear some of them.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13360 Nov 16, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah the packaging on the new. BBC release does look very nice. In case you didn't know, they also remastered & re-released the first BBC album.
I saw both releases. The older BBC album is packaged in the paper fold out as well but it used a black and white photo of The Beatles on the cover. The new BBC has a color shot. They are much more attractive than the brown plastic BBC set that came out in the mid 90's.
Chris

United States

#13361 Nov 16, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I am amazed at some of the sound quality differences of the imports between the releases compared with the US. The imports from some countries certainly were way superior. I first heard it on the LP from Holland but I've got some of them on bootleg CD as well. The same can be said about Elvis titles that were released in different countries over the years. In a lot of cases, an alternate take was used that were quite different than what was heard in the US. The Beatles weren't the only ones that this was done to. It may have been because a country like Germany had stereo or more expensive advances way sooner than Americans. Back in the fifties to the mid sixties, the US had mostly mono recordings that were meant to be played on one speaker radio. I am totally blown away by my latest Elvis set because they are all take ones and yet, the songs all blast out in brilliant stereo. Obviously, they had to have been from the RCA vault in Germany. I have a set of four Elvis box sets that I had purchased years ago like that. However, right after I got them in the early 2000's, RCA stopped its production. These were mostly sixties Elvis tracks. Another box was supposed to contain seventies stereo outtakes but unfortunately, it never came out. They were obviously leaked out and the bootleggers were legally made to halt further sales of these amazing sounding Elvis recordings. But I am not complaining. At least, I am lucky enough to hear some of them.
I wonder what's stopping RCA from taking all the unreleased Elvis stuff, & giving it a proper release. The longer it sits in the vaults, the more chances it gets leaked out by a bootlegger. They could release it in volumes, or in one boxset. Either way they would make millions from it. Right after the Beatles BBC album came out, one of the producers hinted at another project in the works. I'm hoping it's more unreleased music. Maybe they'll remaster the Anthology releases, & add a volume 4 of more unreleased stuff. But, the most likely scenario, is a remastered & re-released Let it Be. They've already done it with their other movies, plus the last time Let it Be was available, was on VHS, so it's never even been on DVD.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Paul McCarthy: Going Vegan Is The Best Way To G... Dec 12 nat 2
Why do people hate Asparagus ? (Jan '10) Nov 18 MrDinosaurGuy 24
News Beatles statues are tons of fun except for one ... Oct '17 Break Farts 5
new george martin interview he apologizes to p... (Feb '08) Sep '17 macca 20
Samples Aug '17 djhope 1
News Radio Faces Big Test In Pennsylvania That Will ... Aug '17 Hair Nation 2
Earliest/Rarest!! This is a DIFFICULT questio... Aug '17 merseymale 1
More from around the web