150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12869 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13271 Nov 12, 2013
RICK wrote:
I liked the a lot of the budget releases also,Octo,like `ELVIS SINGS FLAMING STAR',`LET'S BE FRIENDS',`I GOT LUCKY'and others,these albums as you know,did very well in sales for Elvis.15 of these budget albums were released between 1969 and 1976 and ALL have been certified gold,platinum or multi-platinum by the RIAA,but strangely none of them went very high on BILLBOARD'S album chart,all those millions of sales going under their lame radar,which just underscores this magazine's long standing bias against Elvis,in my and many other's people's opinions.peace out.
Most of the Camden budget Elvis albums were twenty minutes long and sold for half the price of a standard LP, which back in the seventies, sold for $7.99 to $8.99 for nearly 40 minutes worth of music. The budget albums were Col Parker's ideas to sell material that mostly never made it on soundtrack albums, left over tracks or current singles tacked onto them. Unfortunately, they were only sold for $3.99 so were not allowed to chart as full priced long players. Nevertheless, they were very popular with Elvis fans and had very colorful front covers. When you opened them and took the record out, the Col had ad's for other Elvis albums on their paper sleeves. It kept the Col busy while Elvis was touring or playing in Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe. They were never meant to be like regular album but side money projects that Parker obviously dipped his fat, greedy hands into.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13273 Nov 12, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I found all of those on Amazon, & for good prices. Unfortunately, I. can't buy any right now. Last week I spent my budget on 3 Beatles vinyl albums.
You are very much like me. I spend money on Elvis bootleg CD's because I enjoy every second of them. Last night, I came across the John Lennon, Yoko Ono "Two Virgins" album on You Tube and tried listening to it because I was curious. It is too bad John did not inject actual songs to the passages of sound effects and random instruments. It is only 29 minutes long but felt like it went on forever. It was interesting though.
Chris

United States

#13275 Nov 12, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
You are very much like me. I spend money on Elvis bootleg CD's because I enjoy every second of them. Last night, I came across the John Lennon, Yoko Ono "Two Virgins" album on You Tube and tried listening to it because I was curious. It is too bad John did not inject actual songs to the passages of sound effects and random instruments. It is only 29 minutes long but felt like it went on forever. It was interesting though.
I have never listened to Two Virgins, I guess I've always dismissed it as a bunch of weird sounds. I don't listen to Revolution #9 for the same reason. My favorite early Lennon album is Imagine. Also, I like all the songs he sang on Double Fantasy & Milk & Honey. Judging him from his last two albums, he had a lot more great music to give to the world. The 3 Beatles LPs I'm waiting for are A Hard Days Night & Beatles For Sale, both from Japan. And the third one is an album called Rarities from the UK .
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13276 Nov 12, 2013
RICK wrote:
I liked the a lot of the budget releases also,Octo,like `ELVIS SINGS FLAMING STAR',`LET'S BE FRIENDS',`I GOT LUCKY'and others,these albums as you know,did very well in sales for Elvis.15 of these budget albums were released between 1969 and 1976 and ALL have been certified gold,platinum or multi-platinum by the RIAA,but strangely none of them went very high on BILLBOARD'S album chart,all those millions of sales going under their lame radar,which just underscores this magazine's long standing bias against Elvis,in my and many other's people's opinions.peace out.
BTW, "Almost In Love" was always my favorite Camden budget album but I actually liked them all. They were sold in grocery stores in September of 1977 and I remember getting "Let's Be Friends" and "Almost In Love" as my first real Elvis albums. My mom had "Elvis Presley Blvd" on eight track. A babysitter had the original 45 rpm of "Love Me Tender" In 1976, I was already an Elvis fan but I was only ten years old. I wanted Elvis records and books but my mom said no. I remember Record Town, where all the vinyl LP's, eight tracks and 45 rpm singles were sold. "Hurt" b/w "For The Heart" was available in 1976 and it was number six on the country chart when I happen to be in Record Town with my mom. Of course, it started my life long interest in Elvis. I used to buy a new Elvis LP every week and everytime I looked, I'd find another I did not have. I even remember the "Guitar Man" and "This Is Elvis" album releases in the early eighties.

Since: Jul 08

KELOWNA

#13277 Nov 12, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I have never listened to Two Virgins, I guess I've always dismissed it as a bunch of weird sounds..
Don't bother buying it if you want to "listen", only buy if you want to complete a collection. I have two copies on vinyl, one is unopened and still in the brown packaging, the other copy I have only listened to the one time....that was enough. The only thing worse than the "music" is the cover...lol
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13278 Nov 12, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I have never listened to Two Virgins, I guess I've always dismissed it as a bunch of weird sounds. I don't listen to Revolution #9 for the same reason. My favorite early Lennon album is Imagine. Also, I like all the songs he sang on Double Fantasy & Milk & Honey. Judging him from his last two albums, he had a lot more great music to give to the world. The 3 Beatles LPs I'm waiting for are A Hard Days Night & Beatles For Sale, both from Japan. And the third one is an album called Rarities from the UK .
"Two Virgins" sounds almost like a non electronic Tangerine Dream album. It has bursts of instruments and bits and pieces of musical passages with Yoko wailing in the background like she is having orgasms or something. I could hear guitar, piano but it never takes form. Had John actually fit six or seven songs on it to break up the noise, it would've been brilliant. I never quite realized how far from standard pop John and Yoko went then because I've never heard their early work. No one ever played it. I do think it was interesting but unlistenable. That is cool that you are waiting for your vinyl from Japan. My Japanese Elvis CD's were given to my father some years ago and he gave them to me. I have them inclosed in a frame with my Elvis autographed photo that I purchased in Las Vegas. I was afraid to open them up to play them because I did not want to decrease their value.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13280 Nov 12, 2013
BTW, Chris...I have a great sounding Beatles bootleg on CD called, "Casualties" that has the famous "butcher" cover. It is one of the best Beatle boots ever produced and goes as far as having a mock "capital" and "apple" labels on the sleeve. On the edge of the plastic casing, it features a bearded wizard. All the songs on it are alternate mixies and the sound quality is really impressive. I purchased it years ago but if you can run across a copy, grap it. It is terrific,
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13281 Nov 12, 2013
*grab
Chris

United States

#13282 Nov 12, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
"Two Virgins" sounds almost like a non electronic Tangerine Dream album. It has bursts of instruments and bits and pieces of musical passages with Yoko wailing in the background like she is having orgasms or something. I could hear guitar, piano but it never takes form. Had John actually fit six or seven songs on it to break up the noise, it would've been brilliant. I never quite realized how far from standard pop John and Yoko went then because I've never heard their early work. No one ever played it. I do think it was interesting but unlistenable. That is cool that you are waiting for your vinyl from Japan. My Japanese Elvis CD's were given to my father some years ago and he gave them to me. I have them inclosed in a frame with my Elvis autographed photo that I purchased in Las Vegas. I was afraid to open them up to play them because I did not want to decrease their value.
You should look for some more Elvis from Japan, you can't go wrong with the overall quality in looks & sound. I have heard of the Beatles bootleg called Casualties, but I don't have it yet. I do have quite a few others, the best sounding one I have is the original Get Back album. It was mixed by Glyn Johns. It has a different song lineup than the one that was mixed by Phil Spector. Also, the Glyn Johns version sounds more raw & stripped down. Phil Spector added a lot overdubs & orchestra to his mix. The Glyn Johns mix was the closest to what the Beatles had envisioned for the Let It Be project, which was to get back to basics.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13283 Nov 12, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>You should look for some more Elvis from Japan, you can't go wrong with the overall quality in looks & sound. I have heard of the Beatles bootleg called Casualties, but I don't have it yet. I do have quite a few others, the best sounding one I have is the original Get Back album. It was mixed by Glyn Johns. It has a different song lineup than the one that was mixed by Phil Spector. Also, the Glyn Johns version sounds more raw & stripped down. Phil Spector added a lot overdubs & orchestra to his mix. The Glyn Johns mix was the closest to what the Beatles had envisioned for the Let It Be project, which was to get back to basics.
I wouldn't know how to go about purchasing Elvis collectibles from Japan. Besides, my wife would have a fit. I have enough Elvis memorabilia. I basically look for concerts or studio recordings I haven't heard yet. I do have The Beatles original Glyn John mix as part of a gray box set of CD's called, "True Masters" which has a green apple on the label with what looks like a shaved vagina on the apple. It also has a rare Beatles radio show from the eighties where they played songs from the vault and an unreleased studio jam featuring Eric Clapton. Unfortunately, Yoko is the lead vocalist on most of the tracks.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#13286 Nov 12, 2013
Dolby Is right: Two virgins is plain garbage.

KELOWNA

#13289 Nov 12, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Dolby Is right: Two virgins is plain garbage.
Your words...NOT mine.
Chris

United States

#13290 Nov 12, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't know how to go about purchasing Elvis collectibles from Japan. Besides, my wife would have a fit. I have enough Elvis memorabilia. I basically look for concerts or studio recordings I haven't heard yet. I do have The Beatles original Glyn John mix as part of a gray box set of CD's called, "True Masters" which has a green apple on the label with what looks like a shaved vagina on the apple. It also has a rare Beatles radio show. from the eighties where they played songs from. the vault and an unreleased studio jam featuring. Eric Clapton. Unfortunately, Yoko is the lead. vocalist on most of the tracks.
I would like to hear that jam they did with Clapton,as well as the rest of that radio show. I listened to Please Please Me tonight, both versions. I couldn't listen to them on my main stereo, because my wife u
is sleepng. I listened to them on a Sony boombox. Tha being said, both versions sounded good. If I had to say which version sounded better, I would say the mono very.

KELOWNA

#13291 Nov 12, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I would like to hear that jam they did with Clapton,as well as the rest of that radio show. I listened to Please Please Me tonight, both versions. I couldn't listen to them on my main stereo, because my wife u
is sleepng. I listened to them on a Sony boombox. Tha being said, both versions sounded good. If I had to say which version sounded better, I would say the mono very.
Chris, I can make one recommendation when it comes to Beatles Albums (vinyl), Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, the Half Speed masters. The set is expensive but well worth the price. I was going to say that you would never need to buy anything else, but that of course would spoil the fun. The last set I sold went for $1000, I still buy them if they become available, but I now hold on to the very best sets they are a better investment than gold. The UK Parlaphone boxed set is also of a very good quality, but prices of those have also been rising over the past few years. The great thing is if you buy either of these they are better than money in the bank.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13292 Nov 12, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I would like to hear that jam they did with Clapton,as well as the rest of that radio show. I listened to Please Please Me tonight, both versions. I couldn't listen to them on my main stereo, because my wife u
The studio jam wasn't a total waste because at one point, George got to try out his unreleased material with the rest of The Beatles and Clapton. The Apple vault radio show was on another disc. This box set was purchased by me years ago at an independent record shop that is unfortunately is no longer in business. I went nuts buying bootlegs almost every other month at the time but I was still single and had a lot of extra money to spend. I even got some of my first Elvis boots at this shop. It is funny because I also have a Sony boombox that I play my CD's on when my wife is sleeping. I use the headphones. As I said before, my copy of "Please Please Me" doesn't say if it is in stereo. It has to be the mono version. In any event, all my Beatle imports have superior quality sound. I'm really not sure if my copy of "Please Please Me" was the normal release or not. I bought a strange Robert Plant "Pictures At Eleven" CD one time that obviously wasn't the standard release but it sounded good. Maybe, the "Please Please Me" CD was like that. It is weird.

KELOWNA

#13293 Nov 12, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said before, my copy of "Please Please Me" doesn't say if it is in stereo. It has to be the mono version.
You need it to be written on the album for you to know if it is stereo or mono?? Believe me that album in particular doesn't need to have a sticker on it to tell you.....Octypussy you are an amusing boy...
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13294 Nov 12, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>You need it to be written on the album for you to know if it is stereo or mono?? Believe me that album in particular doesn't need to have a sticker on it to tell you.....Octypussy you are an amusing boy...
My Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" CD is both in complete stereo and mono. Obviously, I can tell the difference. Actually, I assumed that "Please Please Me" would be in stereo because if I had a choice, I'd get the stereo version. Since The Beach Boys were on Capital as well, why aren't their mono recordings tinny? I think "Pet Sounds" is a brilliant sounding recording either way. But I see that you are still as miserable as ever. Oh, well...

KELOWNA

#13297 Nov 13, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
My Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" CD is both in complete stereo and mono. But I see that you are still as miserable as ever. Oh, well...
Interesting, can you explain "complete" stereo, is this something different to the regular stereo, and you say the same cd is also in mono?? Truly I'm interested to know. By the way I am quite a happy, jovial person and easily amused....;)
maria

Heywood, UK

#13298 Nov 13, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I have just come across an album of John Lennon and Yoko Ono in my book case the album is called "Double Fantasy" I bought it in a charity shop a few years ago and it is terrible Yoko is screaming her head off on it, it was too much for me I only played a few minutes of it, have you got this one and if you have what do you think?
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13299 Nov 13, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting, can you explain "complete" stereo, is this something different to the regular stereo, and you say the same cd is also in mono?? Truly I'm interested to know. By the way I am quite a happy, jovial person and easily amused....;)
It means that the complete album on CD plays twice. One is in mono and the other in stereo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bob Marley, Wailers atop Billboard album chart Jul 30 Octopus 1
Dont let me down Jul 28 feedy 5 star 1
News McCartney says he's given up pot now that he's ... Jul 14 FiendishThingy 3
For your eyes only Jul '15 Little monster 25
News Get over this wife-beating poseur Jun '15 Lawrence James co... 18
The Beatles 50th Anniversary (Feb '14) Jun '15 Greg 16
Why do people hate Yoko Ono? (Sep '09) Jun '15 Ralph 286
More from around the web