150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12911 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Chris

United States

#13221 Nov 11, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
It's strange because no where on the CD does it say if it is "stereo" or "mono" but it is very tinny. I'm not sure why but it is perhaps one of the worst quality sounding commerial CD's I've ever heard. My copy of "Rubber Soul" was a used CD and the songs fade in and out through out the disc. However, my two disc set, "Soul Sessions" boot has amazing sound. I knew everything was remastered in 2009 so I assumed that the CD's would sound perfect. I purchaced both "Please Please Me" and "Sargent Pepper" Both disappointing. "Sargent Pepper" is so distorted, it is unlistenable. I would've picked up more Beatles had they've been done correctly. The Beatle bootlegs I have sound top rate.
Maybe you'd be better off looking for the original CD releases. That is if you don't already have them. The best sounding Beatles releases I have ever heard, are the original master recordings released on vinyl back in the eighties. They were done by a company called Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs. Each record was made directly from the original master tape. Also, these records were pressed in Japan using the highest quality vinyl available. These are sought out by collectors, because of their rarity & sound quality. I have five of them Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album & Abbey Rd. They sound better than anything I have heard on CD.
Chris

United States

#13222 Nov 11, 2013
Octo, I had Queensryches first EP as well, but on vinyl. Me & friends listened to it everyday, & loved every song on it.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13223 Nov 11, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you'd be better off looking for the original CD releases. That is if you don't already have them. The best sounding Beatles releases I have ever heard, are the original master recordings released on vinyl back in the eighties. They were done by a company called Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs. Each record was made directly from the original master tape. Also, these records were pressed in Japan using the highest quality vinyl available. These are sought out by collectors, because of their rarity & sound quality. I have five of them Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album & Abbey Rd. They sound better than anything I have heard on CD.
I purchaced both "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" as used CD's. I assume that fans got rid of their collections when the catalog was remastered. "Relolver" was fine but "Rubber Soul" was a mess. They were the original CD releases. I had a turntable years ago but got rid of it because the needle ruined by LP's. I am very happy with my Beatle bootlegs on CD because the sound quality on the studio stuff is great. I have some Japanese Elvis releases and they are by far way superior than any American store bought CD. So, I know that you are correct about records pressed in Japan. They are famous for their beautiful sound quality, detail and artwork. They are hard to come by though.
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#13224 Nov 11, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>When they remastered their music in 2009, they did it in both stereo & mono. Some music purists prefer the original mono mixes, so that's why they did both.
Chris,
This is very true. I remember a few years ago, some Elvis Fans
demanded RCA to undo what they did with Elvis' music and put it back to Mono.. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is when they were reissuing Elvis' lps.
I'm glad when Roy Orbison went to Monument(eary 60's), his music is in Stereo!
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13226 Nov 11, 2013
Chris wrote:
Octo, I had Queensryches first EP as well, but on vinyl. Me & friends listened to it everyday, & loved every song on it.
The cassette wasn't top quality and it fell apart years ago but I have a couple of the tracks on their best of CD. I was the only one who had the EP. Queensryche was a great band. I'd buy lesser known bands that my friends did not have. Remember Vandenburg, King Kobra, Badlands, King Diamond, Savatage, John Norum and Y & T? Queensryche was a great band but all my friends were into Motley Crue. I was mainly into Zeppelin, Deep Purple/Rainbow, Judas Priest. But all of it sounded so good together. Van Halen, Ozzy, Dokken, Cinderella to Bon Jovi. It was endless...
Chris

United States

#13227 Nov 11, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
The cassette wasn't top quality and it fell apart years ago but I have a couple of the tracks on their best of CD. I was the only one who had the EP. Queensryche was a great band. I'd buy lesser known bands that my friends did not have. Remember Vandenburg, King Kobra, Badlands, King Diamond, Savatage, John Norum and Y & T? Queensryche was a great band but all my friends were into Motley Crue. I was mainly into Zeppelin, Deep Purple/Rainbow, Judas Priest. But all of it sounded so good together. Van Halen, Ozzy, Dokken, Cinderella to Bon Jovi. It was endless...
Yes I remember all the people you mentioned, except Jon Norum. I was into a lot of the obscure bands as well as the very famous ones. I grew up in California close to LA where a lot of those bands came from. Here are some more obscure bands you may have heard of Keel, Leather Wolf, Lizzie Borden, Armored Saint, Kick Axe, Kix, Black N Blue, Exodus, Loudness & Enuff Z Nuff. That's all I can think of right now.
Chris

United States

#13228 Nov 11, 2013
Dennis Hauser wrote:
<quoted text>
Chris,
This is very true. I remember a few years ago, some Elvis Fans
demanded RCA to undo what they did with Elvis' music and put it back to Mono.. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is when they were reissuing Elvis' lps.
I'm glad when Roy Orbison went to Monument(eary 60's), his music is in Stereo!
Yeah sometimes when they take an original mono recording & remix to stereo, it sounds worse than the original. This may have been the case with Elvis's original recordings.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13229 Nov 11, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I remember all the people you mentioned, except Jon Norum. I was into a lot of the obscure bands as well as the very famous ones. I grew up in California close to LA where a lot of those bands came from. Here are some more obscure bands you may have heard of Keel, Leather Wolf, Lizzie Borden, Armored Saint, Kick Axe, Kix, Black N Blue, Exodus, Loudness & Enuff Z Nuff. That's all I can think of right now.
Yes, I remember most of the bands that you mentioned. It was a great musical decade of endless rock. Unfortunately, it is gone. I am so glad we had great bands and the music scene was healthy. It was endless. John Norum had done Vinnie Vincent's (ex Kiss) "Back On The Street" and it was played on MTV's "Headbanger's Ball" once. I picked up the cassette in the late eighties. You can probably find it on You Tube. It's still a great song.
Chris

United States

#13230 Nov 11, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I remember most of the bands that you mentioned. It was a great musical decade of endless rock. Unfortunately, it is gone. I am so glad we had great bands and the music scene was healthy. It was endless. John Norum had done Vinnie Vincent's (ex Kiss) "Back On The Street" and it was played on MTV's "Headbanger's Ball" once. I picked up the cassette in the late eighties. You can probably find it on You Tube. It's still a great song.
Yeah we were pretty lucky to have all those great bands to listen to & see live. The 50s had Elvis & the birth of rock n roll. The 60s had the Beatles & the british invasion, as well as Motown. Also, the 60s had a lot of classic rock, which carried on through the 70s. The 80s had all the hair bands we've been talking about. Even in the 90s we had the grunge bands, which some of them were pretty good. From that point on, music got a lot worse. I can't stand rap, death metal or any of the electronic pop music, that the kids are listening to today. It seems to me that music has lost it's credibility, integrity & creativity. I think most of the youth today, don't know what good music is. For example, look at how successful someone like Rhianna or Eminem is. That just proves my point. Most of the popular music is just made to feed to the masses to make a quick buck. Unlike our two favorites, Elvis & the Beatles, who actually cared about what they recorded. And, they poured their blood sweat & tears, into everything they recorded. That's why they stand apart from everyone else.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13231 Nov 11, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah we were pretty lucky to have all those great bands to listen to & see live. The 50s had Elvis & the birth of rock n roll. The 60s had the Beatles & the british invasion, as well as Motown. Also, the 60s had a lot of classic rock, which carried on through the 70s. The 80s had all the hair bands we've been talking about. Even in the 90s we had the grunge bands, which some of them were pretty good. From that point on, music got a lot worse. I can't stand rap, death metal or any of the electronic pop music, that the kids are listening to today. It seems to me that music has lost it's credibility, integrity & creativity. I think most of the youth today, don't know what good music is. For example, look at how successful someone like Rhianna or Eminem is. That just proves my point. Most of the popular music is just made to feed to the masses to make a quick buck. Unlike our two favorites, Elvis & the Beatles, who actually cared about what they recorded. And, they poured their blood sweat & tears, into everything they recorded. That's why they stand apart from everyone else.
They created music that was meant to last forever. Despite some of Elvis's obvious setbacks with some of his worst movie songs, most of his music still holds up. Perhaps, if I would recommend a great session, it would have to be the American studio stuff from 1969. The passion and material were up there with The Beatles best work. The legacy edition is two CD's and is still available in stores. My favorite tracks aren't just the hits, "In The Ghetto" "Suspicious Minds" or "Kentucky Rain" but some amazing album tracks such as "Any Day Now" "Power Of My Love" "Gentle On My Mind" "Stranger In My Own Hometown" "Long Black Limousine" "You'll Think Of Me" and more. It is still great. Elvis's version of "Hey Jude" is included on the legacy edition as well.

Music today is basically background noise. It is too bad that the recording industry is only interested in the quick buck and not art.

Since: Jul 08

KELOWNA

#13232 Nov 11, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
They created music that was meant to last forever. Despite some of Elvis's obvious setbacks with some of his worst movie songs, most of his music still holds up. Perhaps, if I would recommend a great session, it would have to be the American studio stuff from 1969. The passion and material were up there with The Beatles best work. The legacy edition is two CD's and is still available in stores. My favorite tracks aren't just the hits, "In The Ghetto" "Suspicious Minds" or "Kentucky Rain" but some amazing album tracks such as "Any Day Now" "Power Of My Love" "Gentle On My Mind" "Stranger In My Own Hometown" "Long Black Limousine" "You'll Think Of Me" and more. It is still great. Elvis's version of "Hey Jude" is included on the legacy edition as well.
Music today is basically background noise. It is too bad that the recording industry is only interested in the quick buck and not art.
The Oracle has spoken...

Since: Jul 08

KELOWNA

#13233 Nov 11, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Despite some of Elvis's obvious setbacks with some of his worst movie songs, most of his music still holds up.
Amazing huh? If I had said that you would have all jumped on me.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13234 Nov 11, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>The Oracle has spoken...
I think Chris would like it. I'm just recommending a great Elvis release for a Beatle fan. That is all.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13235 Nov 11, 2013
dolbyscat wrote:
<quoted text>Amazing huh? If I had said that you would have all jumped on me.
You are the one that is negative. Besides, I realize that some of Elvis's worst movie songs were really bad. It is you that accused me of being bias, remember?

I do not think any Elvis fan likes "Yoga Is As Yoga Does"
Chris

United States

#13237 Nov 11, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Octo. I will definitely look for that. I think I told you before, but I'm an Elvis fan too, I just never took the time to listen to his deep cuts. But I like talking to you, & getting your insight into music related subjects. I trust your opinion, & if you say it's good, then that's good enough for me. Besides, it sounds like we have similar tastes in music.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#13238 Nov 11, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks Octo. I will definitely look for that. I think I told you before, but I'm an Elvis fan too, I just never took the time to listen to his deep cuts. But I like talking to you, & getting your insight into music related subjects. I trust your opinion, & if you say it's good, then that's good enough for me. Besides, it sounds like we have similar tastes in music.
I have found Octo's opinion to be sound and helpful, too. I have not regretted buying any recording he recommended, so far.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#13241 Nov 11, 2013
Gentlemen: You mean you guys don't like "Old MacDonald" or "Long Legged girl with the short dress on" from the Double Trouble soundtrack? okay maybe those weren't good tracks. But songs like "Let Yourself Go' from the Speedway Soundtrack, and "Please Don't Stop Loving Me" from the Frankie and Johnny soundtrack were pretty good. Or how about "You Don't know Me" from the Clambake soundtrack? In all earnest, they were good songs buried as B-sides on many of those movie soundtrack albums that yesterday and today were recognized by many as good material worthy of recording by many artists in any era. Be that as it may, many movie soundtracks recorded by Presley are still being enjoyed by many Presley fans in the present day. I know I am gonna take a lot of heat for stating this,but I like many fans, love those Presley soundtracks that get the ultimate criticism as bland and directionless from Presley Critics and cynics alike. Oh and by the way, they sold in the millions.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13242 Nov 11, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks Octo. I will definitely look for that. I think I told you before, but I'm an Elvis fan too, I just never took the time to listen to his deep cuts. But I like talking to you, & getting your insight into music related subjects. I trust your opinion, & if you say it's good, then that's good enough for me. Besides, it sounds like we have similar tastes in music.
I do not mean to push Elvis onto you just because I happen to like it but the 1969 Memphis sessions are still really remarkable. It is like Elvis suddenly transformed himself into a completely different artist. In 1970, he recorded "That's The Way It Is" Again, completely different than the year before but another great release. Those two separate albums show Elvis's amazing growth as an artist that would take him into the seventies. He wasn't just a fifties act. It is like comparing The Beatles "Please Please Me" and "Beatles For Sale" to "The White Album" and "Abbey Road" Elvis did get there but he did it on his own terms without following what others were doing. That is why the music is still timeless. It never gets the same attention from the mass public as other late sixties classics do but nevertheless, it is a masterpiece of recorded craft. Elvis totally reinvented himself for the modern era. No other fifties rock star ever achieved that except for Elvis. The songs are on You Tube but they should be heard on CD as a whole piece. The concept actually tells a story.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#13244 Nov 11, 2013
Two of the most impressive songs highly recommended by(You guessed it) me, are "Tomorrow is a long time" written by Bob Dylan and buried on the B-side of the Spinout soundtrack album and "Down in the alley" from the same album. These are great songs recorded by Elvis at the height of the British invasion. Both of these numbers are worth revisiting. Elvis had many powerful moments before visiting Chips Moman American studios in 1969. To reiterate, it's a shame that many of these songs are overlooked because they were released at Presley's lowest artistic moment
(1963-1967) period.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#13246 Nov 11, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Gentlemen: You mean you guys don't like "Old MacDonald" or "Long Legged girl with the short dress on" from the Double Trouble soundtrack? okay maybe those weren't good tracks. But songs like "Let Yourself Go' from the Speedway Soundtrack, and "Please Don't Stop Loving Me" from the Frankie and Johnny soundtrack were pretty good. Or how about "You Don't know Me" from the Clambake soundtrack? In all earnest, they were good songs buried as B-sides on many of those movie soundtrack albums that yesterday and today were recognized by many as good material worthy of recording by many artists in any era. Be that as it may, many movie soundtracks recorded by Presley are still being enjoyed by many Presley fans in the present day. I know I am gonna take a lot of heat for stating this,but I like many fans, love those Presley soundtracks that get the ultimate criticism as bland and directionless from Presley Critics and cynics alike. Oh and by the way, they sold in the millions.
I love most of Elvis's movie soundtracks. A few bad songs doesn't ruin his whole 1960-1969 output. I still do not like "Kissin Cousins" "Easy Come, Easy Go" or "Clambake" but there are still a couple great tracks on each. The critics have been stuck on rewind for years. In reality, the music on most of them was quite enjoyable and still are. They were meant to have limitations within the formula because the songs were originally included in a scene, which made more sense when seen in the film.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll favorite character on leave it to beaver (Feb '08) Apr 10 awc 40
News 'Weird Al' Yankovic Mashes Up 14 'Hamilton' Tra... Mar '18 Pardon Pard 1
Poll The Beatles vs Led Zeppelin (Sep '11) Feb '18 Atxnoe 103
News Beatlemania returns to Halton Hills (Jan '15) Feb '18 RIP 4
why are they still so popular? Feb '18 TabuMin 1
News When Hershey closed the chocolate plant, mariju... Jan '18 whod ever thought eh 1
News Top StoryRingo Starr, Bee Gee Barry Gibb tapped... Dec '17 Appears That Way 1