150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

Dec 6, 2008 Full story: talk.livedaily.com 12,846

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Full Story

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#12981 Oct 21, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a couple titles of the "Abbey Road" sessions on bootleg CD and they are quite interesting. George actually did an extended instrumental piece at the end of "Something" that was really good. And I love the underwater sound effects that was more upfront on Ringo's "Octopus's Garden" The outtakes are great, especially on the later period Beatles. Elvis only did two Beatle songs in the studio, which are "Hey Jude" and an edited previously unreleased rehearsal of "Lady Madonna" He did "Yesterday" "Something" and "Little Sister/Get Back" as live performances.
How did you find the "Abbey Road" session, on bootleg? Now, I'd love to hear the extended instrumental work.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12983 Oct 21, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
How did you find the "Abbey Road" session, on bootleg? Now, I'd love to hear the extended instrumental work.
I bought this unusaul "Abbey Road" bootleg years ago at a rare record/CD fair that is only held once a year. I try to go if I can but missed a couple because of other plans. At the time, the bootlegger told me there wasn't much from that period out in the form of unreleased studio material so I grabbed it. It has only eight alternate versions of complete "Abbey Road" songs, two melody mixes from Paul's "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight" side and a truly dreadful session Paul had with Donovan that is totally unlistenable. But "Something" with its extended instrumental has not shown up on my newer "Abbey Road" boot. The label is called, "Vigotone" and they did a lot of quality Beatle releases in the late 90's, early 2000's.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12984 Oct 21, 2013
*unusual
Chris

United States

#12986 Oct 22, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
There wasn't really much of a vault clearing directy after Elvis's death but RCA did start putting out more vault material starting in the late 90's. Plus the FTD label that was put together for Elvis collectors and sold through Graceland. I did read that Elvis may have rehearsed George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" in Las Vegas, 1971. But so far, no audio tape has never shown up. They find bits and pieces through the years. The latest ones were unreleased live Louisanna Hayride songs, "Little Mama" and a rare live version of "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" I think the Elvis bootleggers do a better job of putting out the most exciting unreleased Elvis stuff though.
Those must be some early Elvis recordings they recently released. They probably have more unreleased stuff, that they're holding back so that they have something new to release every few years. I'm pretty sure their is more stuff in the Beatles vaults. Because recently a couple of unheard alternate versions were discovered. One was Here Comes the Sun in which George actually does a solo in the middle. Also a very different version of Revolution 1. It's take 20 & it runs over 11 minutes. If you want to download these or any other rare songs, I found them on a site called www.mp3juices.com
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12987 Oct 22, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Those must be some early Elvis recordings they recently released. They probably have more unreleased stuff, that they're holding back so that they have something new to release every few years. I'm pretty sure their is more stuff in the Beatles vaults. Because recently a couple of unheard alternate versions were discovered. One was Here Comes the Sun in which George actually does a solo in the middle. Also a very different version of Revolution 1. It's take 20 & it runs over 11 minutes. If you want to download these or any other rare songs, I found them on a site called www.mp3juices.com
I guess anything can be downloaded these days. I've tried it but lost interest since it was messing up my computer. I've heard about the recently discovered alternate version of "Here Comes The Sun" I think sometimes they come across different things that are owned by private collectors also. Anyway, you only live once so why not hear them?
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#13000 Oct 30, 2013
The 60's counterculture media never ceases to amaze me.They think that they can dictate what artists we should listen to,what movies to watch,what books to read.They are,of course,against my and millions of others favorite artist,Elvis Presley,because he didn't emerge in the 60's,and also because he is winning the rivalry battle with THEIR musical heroes,The Beatles.How do they explain people like Octopus Brain and myself,we were BORN in the 60's and yet we,like millions of others,became huge fans of Elvis.We are not as stupid as they think.I and most music lovers don't put generational restrictions on what we watch,listen to,or read.Elvis emerged a few years before I was born,but the SECOND I heard his voice I became a huge fan.It didn't matter to me one bit that he became a pop phenom a few years before I was born,I knew when I heard his voice that this was someone special,and that's what the idiots who run BILLBOARD,the RIAA and IFIP,ROLLING STONE,PEOPLE,ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY,TIME and others just DON'T GET,WE ARE NOT AS STUPID AS THEY THINK,peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#13001 Oct 30, 2013
And I'd also like to address something else also.What are these absolutely RIDICULOUS rumors that Elvis and actor Nick Adams were more than just friends.An accusation no doubt contrived by some 60's counterculture jerk or jerkette.Elvis was one of the most red bloodedly heterosexual men in the history of show business.Elvis life was wall to wall with women.It's like my dad said the other day,when a star is DEAD anything can be said about them,because they're not here to defend themselves.They've also hurled such charges at Frank Sinatra[GIMME A BREAK],Paul Newman,and others.The 60's counterculture media are a bunch of COWARDS,WITH A CAPITAL C,peace out.

Since: Jul 08

KELOWNA

#13002 Oct 30, 2013
RICK wrote:
WE ARE NOT AS STUPID AS THEY THINK,peace out.
I dunno Rick, yer posts come across as pretty stupid...So it would be safe to assume you are..... Illiterate little twerp.

KELOWNA

#13003 Oct 30, 2013
RICK wrote:
It's like my dad said the other day,when a star is DEAD anything can be said about them,because they're not here to defend themselves.
Wow Ricky!! you're Dad is one smart cookie huh??.... Musta took him a long time to figure that one out huh??...Two stoopid peas in a pod.

KELOWNA

#13008 Oct 31, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a dipewad arsewipe fool Dolbyscatterbrain.
You know nothing concrete about the King - nothing.
You are a grater loser than troll Philip Lean.
Shortcock Lean who put me and the Poof in jail.
Just for a few lousy dollars in gate takings.
Piss off, the pair of you - loser cntheads.
oh!!! My feelings are really hurt...There was I thinking we were friends and all...lol.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#13017 Nov 2, 2013
To Mr. Chad Buckley: You have made some good points,however Presley was never a Las Vegas Cabaret singer. Elvis became the single biggest entertainer in the history of Las Vegas. Fans flock to see Elvis perform from just about all countries on planet earth. Las Vegas has never witnessed anything close to the Elvis phenomenon. Moreover 36 years after his death, Elvis is still more than just a relic of the 1950's. He has become the most famous and iconic performer of all time.
Case in point: According to SoundExchange, Elvis has become the most streamlined artist in the last ten years. Furthermore this year, he rank number 2 behind Michael Jackson as the deceased artist who made the most money. He made the astronomical sum of $55 million dollars, this according to Forbes magazine, and to reiterate, 36 years after his death. I do not think it's even close comparing Elvis with the Fab Four. Elvis Presley is on another echelon as far as popularity is concerned.
Presley has become the most famous and iconic performer of all time. Peace out !!
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13018 Nov 2, 2013
Chad Buckley wrote:
<quoted text>You keep rattling along abou the 0's counter culture Dude. well let me tell you something Rick. I was born in 1953 my mom dug Elvis and so did my step sister. I was 10 when the Beatles came out and nobody had ever saw a British band that looked or soundede like them in the Studio. They took America by storm just like Evis may of done in maybe 1957. Face it Elvis was 50's rock culture Icon. He continued until the 70's but still he will most be Remembered as a fifties artist just like Buddy Holly. Their has never since the 60's been a better musical Decade of songs and new groups to come out. I'm talking From the Beach Boys and Four Seasons plus all the Motown sound and of course the British invation. I'm proud to be part of the 60's culture. I respect Presley but face it, he was a solo act that went from cool Rock-a-Billy to a Vegas Cabaret singer after his 60's movie star Gigs.He was a part of that sixties counter culture you seem to hate so much because they praise the Beatles and The Stones.Well It comes down to each their own My generation was the lucky one and listening to you reminds me of that 60's song by the Who My Generation. People try to put us down just because we get around. Like those guys from the 60's counter culture or ex hippy dudes say Peace Out Rickster.Elvis may of had the Title of King but the Beatles will always be the fab four like it or not.
Waylon Jennings gave up his seat to Buddy Holly in the winter of 1959 and it was Holly that died. Waylon went on to become a part of the new leaders of the new country outlaw movement of the seventies along with Willie Nelson that crossed over to rock and pop. Even Johnny Cash recorded a song with Bob Dylan for "Nashville Skyline" No one calls Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson or Johnny Cash 50's artists. And Elvis's Las Vegas shows were definitely not a cabaret act. Certainly, not the case. Name one other 50's rock icon that did songs like these in the late sixties/early seventies:

"And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind"
"Loving Arms"
"It's Only Love"
"I'm Movin' On"
"Rags To Riches"
"Saparate Ways"
"Early Mornin' Rain"
"You'll Think Of Me"
"Help Me Make It Through The Night"
"For The Good Times"
"The Next Step Is Love"
"For Lovin' Me"
"Thinkin' Of You"
"I've Got A Thing About You, Baby"
"Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues"
"Gentle On My Mind"
"I Can Help"
"I Really Don't Want To Know"
"Mary In The Mornin"
"T-R-O-U-B-L-E"
"Any Day Now"
"Steamroller Blues"
"It's A Matter Of Time"
"Funny, How Time Slips Away"
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#13019 Nov 2, 2013
Also and of note, from a historical perspective:
Without Elvis Presley history would certainly be different. Jagger might have become an estate agent, Dylan a Rabbi, Lennon a bricklayer or Johnny rotten a judge. He probably was one of a tiny handful of individuals who actually affected the course of human affairs. To quote Leonard Bernstein "Elvis is the greatest cultural force in the twentieth century. He introduced the beat to everything, music, language, clothes. it's a whole new social and cultural revolution that he started". Elvis was, and is, a real agent of social change. People can diminish their intellectual capacity pertaining to their musical knowledge and acumen by simply branding Elvis as a relic of the 1950's or a Las Vegas cabaret singer. This man was a true revolutionary. Bar none.
Chris

United States

#13020 Nov 2, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
To Mr. Chad Buckley: You have made some good points,however Presley was never a Las Vegas Cabaret singer. Elvis became the single biggest entertainer in the history of Las Vegas. Fans flock to see Elvis perform from just about all countries on planet earth. Las Vegas has never witnessed anything close to the Elvis phenomenon. Moreover 36 years after his death, Elvis is still more than just a relic of the 1950's. He has become the most famous and iconic performer of all time.
Case in point: According to SoundExchange, Elvis has become the most streamlined artist in the last ten years. Furthermore this year, he rank number 2 behind Michael Jackson as the deceased artist who made the most money. He made the astronomical sum of $55 million dollars, this according to Forbes magazine, and to reiterate, 36 years after his death. I do not think it's even close comparing Elvis with the Fab Four. Elvis Presley is on another echelon as far as popularity is concerned.
Presley has become the most famous and iconic performer of all time. Peace out !!
I'm not trying to put Elvis down, but just simply stating a fact. You mentioned Elvis being the second highest earning dead celebrity after Michael Jackson. But, what you fail to realize, is the only reason Michael Jackson was #1, is because of the Beatles. He owns the publishing rights to most of their songs, & his estate is raking in millions because of it. So my point is the Beatles are also still very popular, even though they've been broken up for 43 years.
xxxxx

Heywood, UK

#13021 Nov 2, 2013
Smoker Hand wrote:
<quoted text>That Dope Percy the pooper didn't hum anything from Ding. He got his bum perced and started poofing the Magic Dragon.
You are so right.

xxxxx
Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#13022 Nov 2, 2013
To Chris: I agree with you somewhat, considering I am also a fan of the Fab Four. However Michael Jackson was number one due to 2 different Cirque Le Soil shows which have been running simultaneously on a present worldwide basis. Yes he owns the publishing rights to the Beatles music, but to reiterate, the estate is raking in millions because of the "Immortal Tour" now being presented as a show business extravaganza to many countries around the globe. That is the main reason that Michael Jackson is the highest earning celebrity.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#13023 Nov 2, 2013
Furthermore Chris: I also agree with the accuracy of your factual statement. The Beatles will always be popular. they are the greatest band in the history of popular music. Their music is timeless and classic. I can not dispute the validity of your statement. However, I just haven't witnessed any entertainer alive or dead that has been able to rival Presley in popularity, especially 36 years after his death. Presley has become the barometer whereas all artist's popularity are measured. Only time will tell if Michael Jackson can sustain this popularity or rival Presley's stature, 36 or forty years from now.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#13024 Nov 2, 2013
The "Cirque Du Soleil, Michael Jackson immortal tour" has grossed over 150 million dollars. The show commenced in 2012 and still is being played out to global worldwide audiences. I'm wondering how much money Elvis will make next year upon the release of 2 movies about his life. Mick Jagger is directing a new Elvis movie, scheduled for release in 2014, and a new series of albums including but not limited to, the soundtrack from the autobiographical movie "Last Train to Memphis" which depicts Elvis from 1955 to 1956. I also read that Lisa Marie is working on another Elvis movie depicting the years 1955 to 1977.
To reiterate, both movies are scheduled for release next year. Both movies are also expected to become box office extravaganzas. Once again Elvis should reclaim the top spot as the deceased artist who has made the most money. He has held that record in it's total longevity since Forbes magazine started these rankings in the 1990's.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#13025 Nov 2, 2013
I do not think that even in the slightest iota, per say, that Rick is wrong when he states that the 1960's counterculture has not been fair or impartial towards Presley's musical accomplishments or his artistic prowess. Check out the 100 greatest artists list issued by Jann Wenner founder and editor of Rolling Stone magazine. Are the Elvis critics revisiting this particular ranking of entertainers as per this Rolling Stone article? They have positioned Bob Dylan at number 2 and the Beatles at number 1. Where is Presley? Very conveniently positioned at number 3. Just so this list does not lose legitimacy and respectability. In the opinions of just about all respected musical pundits and historians, Elvis Presley has always been catapulted at the top, meaning number one. Elvis is the most influential and successful entertainer of all time, according to the a large majority of polls. Yet, Mr. Wenner points out to Dylan and the Beatles. Dylan? more influential and greater than Presley? The Beatles? when John lennon said for the record and I quote that "before Elvis there was nothing". Many writers who post their threads on this forum are actually not accurate in their thinking when they state erroneously that their is no bias against Presley by the 1960's counterculture crowd. Rick is unequivocally correct with his thinking. The 1960's hippie generation have never embraced or accepted Presley's persona for what he stood for. What did he stood for? What was his thinking? Elvis was a true American patriot who would have never burn the American Flag or dodge going to war if his country came calling.
This is the main reason that Elvis will never be accepted by the neo radicals of the 1960's. Rick was right on the money with his assessment.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#13026 Nov 2, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not trying to put Elvis down, but just simply stating a fact. You mentioned Elvis being the second highest earning dead celebrity after Michael Jackson. But, what you fail to realize, is the only reason Michael Jackson was #1, is because of the Beatles. He owns the publishing rights to most of their songs, & his estate is raking in millions because of it. So my point is the Beatles are also still very popular, even though they've been broken up for 43 years.
The Beatles and Paul McCartney get a lot of press coverage since he has a new album out. Of course, that also means putting Paul on the cover of the current Rolling Stone issue. Nevertheless, as predicted...his new album still failed to go number one. It did peak at an impressive number three but has already dropped out of the top ten. It seems The Beatles still have a couple hardcover books available on them at Barnes And Noble. It is the continued hawking of Beatlemania by the sixties culture that doesn't want to let it go or at least give it a rest. It is really debateable as whether or not The Beatles are as popular as they once were. They get shoved down the general population faces quite often, which I think only hurts them. There is only so much one can do to keep the old dream going. Actually, there are a lot of artists that never get that kid of exposure. It is the same propaganda that has been going on for thirty three years since John Lennon was murdered. As for The Beatles CD sales, "Love" was very successful but The Beatles need new projects to keep them current. I am not too certain how much Michael Jackson's estate makes each year from the existing Beatle catalog. Paul McCartney is still worth $800 million dollars. BTW, I was stunned to see absolutely no Michael Jackson books at that bookstore. Not even clarance or bargain books. Barnes And Noble did carry Beatle CD's but they were very expensive. It is all the common Beatle releases people can find at Walmart for a fraction of the price.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Katy Perry's 'Dark Horse' Gallops to No. 1 On H... (Jan '14) Sun TheAfroHedgehog 6
Paul McCartney's 'Out There!' shows are hot, ho... Sun TheAfroHedgehog 2
The year after the Beatles met E (Mar '14) Jan 22 Little monster 217
Who Is The Greatest Rock N Roll Band? [POLL] (Dec '12) Jan 21 mats sweden 8
Studies seek to answer if the arts can help the... Jan 19 lizzybowen 2
Why do people hate Yoko Ono? (Sep '09) Jan 15 KittenL 284
Beatlemania returns to Halton Hills Jan 7 spending at Library 3
More from around the web