150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

Dec 6, 2008 Full story: talk.livedaily.com 12,787

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Full Story
Chris

United States

#12956 Oct 20, 2013
I just wanted to point out that the Beatles live at The Star Club was recorded by a fan in the audience, & not from the soundboard. That is why the sound quality is so bad. Also, I agree with you, Brian Epstein should have made sure they had better equipment.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12957 Oct 20, 2013
Chris wrote:
I just wanted to point out that the Beatles live at The Star Club was recorded by a fan in the audience, & not from the soundboard. That is why the sound quality is so bad. Also, I agree with you, Brian Epstein should have made sure they had better equipment.
Actually, The Beatles "Star Club" performances do sound pretty good for live audience tapes and contain some rare songs that they never recorded in the studio but it was pre Beatlemania, 1962. There was legal action taken for the illegal release of the Star Club tapes years ago but they are still easily available to collectors today. In my excellent Beatle book, "The Unreleased Beatles" by Richie Unterberger, it documents all The Beatle live and studio outtake material known to exist. I've read that George Martin was present during the recording of the Hollywood Bowl concerts, which was recorded inside of a recording truck that was picking up the performances on soundboard. Martin said that it sounded quite bad but they were professionally recorded in hopes of getting a live album out. But The Beatles were unhappy with their performances. Of course, "The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl" was released in 1977 on only vinyl LP and has never been put on compact disc.
Chris

United States

#12958 Oct 20, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, The Beatles "Star Club" performances do sound pretty good for live audience tapes and contain some rare songs that they never recorded in the studio but it was pre Beatlemania, 1962. There was legal action taken for the illegal release of the Star Club tapes years ago but they are still easily available to collectors today. In my excellent Beatle book, "The Unreleased Beatles" by Richie Unterberger, it documents all The Beatle live and studio outtake material known to exist. I've read that George Martin was present during the recording of the Hollywood Bowl concerts, which was recorded inside of a recording truck that was picking up the performances on soundboard. Martin said that it sounded quite bad but they were professionally recorded in hopes of getting a live album out. But The Beatles were unhappy with their performances. Of course, "The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl" was released in 1977 on only vinyl LP and has never been put on compact disc.
I have that book as well & it is very informative. I know the Beatles weren't very happy with the Hollywood Bowl tapes, although I don't think they sounded too bad. I think the reason they did get released, is because the Beatles still owed Capitol some more records under their contract. It's the same reason those other compilations came out in the 80's. In fact, the only greatest hits collection that the group ever authorized was 1.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12959 Oct 20, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>I have that book as well & it is very informative. I know the Beatles weren't very happy with the Hollywood Bowl tapes, although I don't think they sounded too bad. I think the reason they did get released, is because the Beatles still owed Capitol some more records under their contract. It's the same reason those other compilations came out in the 80's. In fact, the only greatest hits collection that the group ever authorized was 1.
In the beginning of the book, Richie Unterberger tells of his first experience of buying bootlegs when the clerk sold him a "new" Beatle album called, "Kum Back" in 1970, which was sold in a plain white cover. He was ten years old at the time and did not know what a bootleg was. Anyway, Unterberger wrote a very useful book and I can tell that he really loves The Beatles. I think at this point, rock history is better presented on these recordings because real fans of the artist can get a chance to hear it all. Otherwise, fans miss gaps that should be heard. I just do not enjoy The Beatles live performances as much as the studio outtake stuff. They were definately a studio band and that is where their creativity lives. The Stones, The Doors and Elvis were great live artists. Somehow, The Beatles never projected their magic well onto the live stage. I do have "Candlestick Park" on CD with the rooftop performance but I much rather hear alternate studio stuff or different mixies by The Beatles. They are much more entertaining because you can hear how the songs started out and how they developed into the master. But different mixes are fun to listen to also because of the sound quality released in different countries were sometimes superior than the US versions.
Chris

United States

#12960 Oct 20, 2013
I agree with you Octo, it is really cool to hear different studio outtakes, & to hear how a song evolves. You have mentioned before how you discovered some really cool Elvis outtakes. I took your advice & started collecting Beatle boots last year. One of the more interesting outtakes I have is Paul singing lead on I Want You (She's So Heavy).
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12961 Oct 20, 2013
Chris wrote:
I agree with you Octo, it is really cool to hear different studio outtakes, & to hear how a song evolves. You have mentioned before how you discovered some really cool Elvis outtakes. I took your advice & started collecting Beatle boots last year. One of the more interesting outtakes I have is Paul singing lead on I Want You (She's So Heavy).
I do not have that outtake of Paul singing "I Want You" (she's so heavy) but I do have John Lennon singing "Rocky Raccoon" I believe that the Abbey Road sessions were not yet fully documented on bootleg until more recently. I do like hearing a different lead vocal on a well known song. Apparently, John and Paul switched back and forth and decided who would do the vocal on some of the tracks. That has to be mindboggling. I am really surprised Paul actually tried "I Want You" (she's so heavy) because it is obviously John's song. The Elvis studio outtakes are amazing. I even have a unedited outtake of him doing "Hey Jude" and it is very close to The Beatles version. RCA butchered it for release for "Elvis Now" in 1972. In reality, Elvis first did the song in 1969. It kicks ass.
Chris

United States

#12962 Oct 20, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not have that outtake of Paul singing "I Want You" (she's so heavy) but I do have John Lennon singing "Rocky Raccoon" I believe that the Abbey Road sessions were not yet fully documented on bootleg until more recently. I do like hearing a different lead vocal on a well known song. Apparently, John and Paul switched back and forth and decided who would do the vocal on some of the tracks. That has to be mindboggling. I am really surprised Paul actually tried "I Want You" (she's so heavy) because it is obviously John's song. The Elvis studio outtakes are amazing. I even have a unedited outtake of him doing "Hey Jude" and it is very close to The Beatles version. RCA butchered it for release for "Elvis Now" in 1972. In reality, Elvis first did the song in 1969. It kicks ass.
Yeah I got that outtake on a bootleg called the alternate Abbey Road. You can probably find it on Amazon if you're interested. I didn't know their was an outtake of John singing Rocky Racoon, Ill have to look for that one. I'm curious to know what other Beatles songs Elvis covered. Recently I have heard some other Beatles demos, that I thought were pretty good. One was John singing Bad to Me & the other is Paul singing a song called One & One is Two.
Chris

United States

#12963 Oct 20, 2013
Hey Octo, I was wondering, if you think their is anything left in the vaults, from Elvis or The Beatles, that hasn't been bootleged yet. Wasn't their a lot of unheard Elvis songs, that got released after his death? I'm just wondering if their is anything left.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#12964 Oct 20, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>It really is too bad that more of George's songs weren't on the Beatles records. But the truth is that he just wasn't very good in the early days. He only had himself, whereas John & Paul had each other to work with. So it took him a little longer to get good at it. Although their is no excuse why some of his later compositions like Not Guilty, All Things Must Pass & Sour Milk Sea didn't end up on the White album or one of the others after that. Also, I'm not sure if he wrote them while the Beatles were still together, but My Sweet Lord & What Is Life would've fit nicely onto any of their last 3 albums.
Had he been allowed the space to develop as a songwriter, the outcome may have been much different and quicker. We'll never know. I'm just aware some of the work he produced later, while in the Beatles, was incredible.
Chris

United States

#12965 Oct 21, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Had he been allowed the space to develop as a songwriter, the outcome may have been much different and quicker. We'll never know. I'm just aware some of the work he produced later, while in the Beatles, was incredible.
Yeah, imagine if the Beatles hadn't broken up, they would've had 3 prolific songwriters. Who knows, maybe John or Paul would've eventually collaborated with George.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12966 Oct 21, 2013
Your Elvis collection dwarfs everyone on this site,Octopus Brain,I'm quite impressed,to me,Elvis possessed something special,that thing called `magic',the most talented,dynamic and unique artist the world has ever known,and I also think he was the biggest star of all time,too,in ANY category.Think about it,what other deceased star commands the love and adulation that Elvis still enjoys,Humphrey Bogart,no,Frank Sinatra,no,Cary Grant,no,Duke Ellington,no,and I could go on and on but you get my point,none of them even comes CLOSE to Elvis Aaron Presley,Tupelo,Missisippi's golden boy,peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12967 Oct 21, 2013
And I agree with you also,George Harrison's songs should have been used more by The Beatles,Octo,a waste of a great talent,really,peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12968 Oct 21, 2013
And it was my dad that got me hooked on Elvis,Octo,one day,when I was just 5 years old,he brought home a copy of `ELVIS GOLDEN RECORDS,VOL.1',and the first thing that struck me as a child was the cover photo,this uniquely handsome fellow with the crooked smile and the big shock of dark hair,but when my dad put on the album on his stereo system,WOW,I was totally blown away by his voice and the music,and I've happily been a fan ever since,and anyone who isn't is truly missing something special,but I think most people have some Elvis titles in their collection,peace out.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12973 Oct 21, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah I got that outtake on a bootleg called the alternate Abbey Road. You can probably find it on Amazon if you're interested. I didn't know their was an outtake of John singing Rocky Racoon, Ill have to look for that one. I'm curious to know what other Beatles songs Elvis covered. Recently I have heard some other Beatles demos, that I thought were pretty good. One was John singing Bad to Me & the other is Paul singing a song called One & One is Two.
I have a couple titles of the "Abbey Road" sessions on bootleg CD and they are quite interesting. George actually did an extended instrumental piece at the end of "Something" that was really good. And I love the underwater sound effects that was more upfront on Ringo's "Octopus's Garden" The outtakes are great, especially on the later period Beatles. Elvis only did two Beatle songs in the studio, which are "Hey Jude" and an edited previously unreleased rehearsal of "Lady Madonna" He did "Yesterday" "Something" and "Little Sister/Get Back" as live performances.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12974 Oct 21, 2013
Chris wrote:
Hey Octo, I was wondering, if you think their is anything left in the vaults, from Elvis or The Beatles, that hasn't been bootleged yet. Wasn't their a lot of unheard Elvis songs, that got released after his death? I'm just wondering if their is anything left.
There wasn't really much of a vault clearing directy after Elvis's death but RCA did start putting out more vault material starting in the late 90's. Plus the FTD label that was put together for Elvis collectors and sold through Graceland. I did read that Elvis may have rehearsed George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" in Las Vegas, 1971. But so far, no audio tape has never shown up. They find bits and pieces through the years. The latest ones were unreleased live Louisanna Hayride songs, "Little Mama" and a rare live version of "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" I think the Elvis bootleggers do a better job of putting out the most exciting unreleased Elvis stuff though.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12975 Oct 21, 2013
RICK wrote:
Your Elvis collection dwarfs everyone on this site,Octopus Brain,I'm quite impressed,to me,Elvis possessed something special,that thing called `magic',the most talented,dynamic and unique artist the world has ever known,and I also think he was the biggest star of all time,too,in ANY category.Think about it,what other deceased star commands the love and adulation that Elvis still enjoys,Humphrey Bogart,no,Frank Sinatra,no,Cary Grant,no,Duke Ellington,no,and I could go on and on but you get my point,none of them even comes CLOSE to Elvis Aaron Presley,Tupelo,Missisippi's golden boy,peace out.
I once thought I had a very large Elvis CD collection but I've met other fans that have way more than I do. It is really incredible what is really out there on Elvis. Endless.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12976 Oct 21, 2013
RICK wrote:
And it was my dad that got me hooked on Elvis,Octo,one day,when I was just 5 years old,he brought home a copy of `ELVIS GOLDEN RECORDS,VOL.1',and the first thing that struck me as a child was the cover photo,this uniquely handsome fellow with the crooked smile and the big shock of dark hair,but when my dad put on the album on his stereo system,WOW,I was totally blown away by his voice and the music,and I've happily been a fan ever since,and anyone who isn't is truly missing something special,but I think most people have some Elvis titles in their collection,peace out.
My mom bought "From Elvis Presley Blvd" on eight track when it was first released in 1976. I used to listen to it and was amazed that it was the same Elvis that did "Love Me Tender" and "Hound Dog" Plus as a kid, I watched "Happy Days" and Elvis was Fonzie's idol.
Chris

United States

#12977 Oct 21, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a couple titles of the "Abbey Road" sessions on bootleg CD and they are quite interesting. George actually did an extended instrumental piece at the end of "Something" that was really good. And I love the underwater sound effects that was more upfront on Ringo's "Octopus's Garden" The outtakes are great, especially on the later period Beatles. Elvis only did two Beatle songs in the studio, which are "Hey Jude" and an edited previously unreleased rehearsal of "Lady Madonna" He did "Yesterday" "Something" and "Little Sister/Get Back" as live performances.
II'm surprised Elvis never covered Let it Be. He would've done an awesome job on some of Lennon's compositions like In My Life, Don't Let Me Down or Strawberry Fields Forever.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12979 Oct 21, 2013
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>II'm surprised Elvis never covered Let it Be. He would've done an awesome job on some of Lennon's compositions like In My Life, Don't Let Me Down or Strawberry Fields Forever.
They found The Beatles "Rubber Soul" in Elvis's record collection at Graceland after his death. Elvis loved music, especially Gospel. I think Elvis cover what he thought he would like to sing from The Beatles but did not go overboard with them because he selected a wide range of songs from all areas. It would have been great if he did more Beatle tunes but he probably did not think he'd be able to do justice to them. Overall, what Elvis did cover was great because he gave the songs his reading. Like when he covered "Bridge Over Troubled Water" "Proud Mary" or "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" Some songs just worked better in his live set because of fans audience reaction to them. Elvis did bring back "Something" for a few shows in 1975 but then never did it again.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12980 Oct 21, 2013
*covered...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can you guess the 5 Beatles songs that Elvis Pr... Tue The Guest 1
The year after the Beatles met E (Mar '14) Oct 27 Little monster 192
Paul McCartney's 'Out There!' shows are hot, ho... Oct 25 Big mike 2
Why do people hate Yoko Ono? (Sep '09) Oct 23 ron decline 282
10 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Michael... Oct 18 goodvibrations 35
Happy birthday John Oct 9 Greg 3
[News] Drake Passes The Beatles With Latest Bil... Oct 8 brandy t 2

The Beatles People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE