150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 20 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12597 Sep 13, 2013
To Ms Morals from Mascot Australia:
Your bad manners and lack of educated intellect are only exceeded by your bad manners and lack of educated intellect !! Please refrain from posting these degrading threads!! Thank you!!
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12598 Sep 13, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
To Octopus:I know you have a large collection: I have records from all over the continental United States. Singles and albums and extended plays from the 1950' and beyond. I have three copies of LOC 1035 with the original picture book. That is of course the 1957 Elvis Christmas Album. I also have bootlegs from the 1970's. One of the rarest is of course "The Legend lives on". It has the same cover as the 3rd disc on the Walk a Mile in my shoes'' box set. This is the same album that Presley sings the famous rendition of "Happy Birthday to James Burton" coupled with "When snow is on the roses". Also the vinyl set of the Burbank sessions is quite unique and rare. I also used to belong to the Paul Lichter record club. Lichter, as you may know is a world renowned record collector and Elvis record seller. I no longer purchase from him,though. I have gone virtually around the globe in order to expand and amplify my collection. In Latin America alone, I have amassed albums and singles from just about every country. "The Elvis Now" and 'That's The Way It Is albums with Spanish subtitles purchased in the country of Chile also cost me a fortune. But, hey it was worth it. I am still waiting on the album Elvis in Houston "We have a Problem" to be shipped to me. I want to know for sure if Elvis was that incoherent and lacking cohesiveness on stage that night. All in all, I have gone virtually everywhere and met people who have twice a larger collection of Presley records than myself. And to reiterate, I like to believe, I have a big one. Thanks for the info my friend !! Peace out!!
Wow! That sounds like a huge Elvis collection of unusal memorabilia. I do not have albums from every country but I did purchace Elvis's autograph and had it framed. I have the new soundboard, "Houston, We Have A Problem" Certainly, not as bad as the legendary review Bob Claypool gave it. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you hear it, Victor. Not his best but certainly not his worst.

I like the my latest, "Tanya For Dinner" Las Vegas 3-28-75 DS better though. Really good sounding audience recordings are always more exciting because sometimes you can hear what people are saying in the audience like you are right there with them! Elvis was excellent that night but the show is only 53 minutes, which surprised me because by 1975, the shows were usually much longer.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12600 Sep 13, 2013
*I like my latest...
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12601 Sep 13, 2013
To Octopus!! Just got in and saw the thread you posted. You mean to tell me you have an autograph from the man himself? An autograph from the single biggest attraction in the history of recorded music?
man I envy you. That is truly mesmerizing. A couple of years ago I had a chance to purchase one. This one sold for five thousand. It was authenticated. Someone bought it immediately at a Miami Beach artifact auction. Enjoy it my friend!! it is truly priceless!!
Peace out!!
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12602 Sep 13, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
To Octopus!! Just got in and saw the thread you posted. You mean to tell me you have an autograph from the man himself? An autograph from the single biggest attraction in the history of recorded music?
man I envy you. That is truly mesmerizing. A couple of years ago I had a chance to purchase one. This one sold for five thousand. It was authenticated. Someone bought it immediately at a Miami Beach artifact auction. Enjoy it my friend!! it is truly priceless!!
Peace out!!
I bought it in Las Vegas and it is fully authenticated with papers. But Elvis had signed a photo of himself from a book and the page was sold to me loose. It was not in a frame. I decided to go with that autograph because I could easily take it with me instead of having it shipped back home. I simply made my own frame with some of my own collectibles in with it. It saved me a lot of money rather than buying it already framed. It was something that I've always wanted but had no clue how to get a hold of one. It was pure luck that I happened to walk in that store in Caesars Palace and the clerk showed me the loose autograph that was not even put on display yet. I look for certain things whenever I get a chance but some items are way above my price range. BTW, I have both Priscilla's and Lisa Marie's autographs as well. Pretty cool.
FYI

Dallas, TX

#12606 Sep 14, 2013
If you guys haven't seen it already, there is some new footage of Elvis from 1957 in Hawaii. I found the you tube link on the Elvis Information Network site. Cool stuff.
quester

Sydney, Australia

#12610 Sep 16, 2013
Clarence Darrow wrote:
<quoted text>
A double supposition? Poor to bad reasoning from an attorney.
what's happened to all the mad people who used to post on here?
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12611 Sep 16, 2013
WOW,victor,that's a pretty massive collection of Elvis records,you're undoubtedly a big fan of The King,as am I,and Octopus Brain as well,I knew that the extended play records are EXCLUDED from Elvis RIAA sales tally,a word that describes the true story of the RIAA and Elvis,EXCLUSION,peace out.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12613 Sep 16, 2013
To Rick!! I guess I have to ask myself pertaining to the powers that be at Elvis Presley Enterprises, was there a need to pay a fee to the RIAA to certify the DVD's, singles or extended plays? DVD's, Singles and Extended plays are not tallied in Presley's combined sales total. I am hoping that these changes coming are ascertained by all units being counted in Presley's total. I have been told by fan club members that Recording Industry executives are invoking these clarifications on units sales data. It will not only increase Presley's sales but all other artists as well. To reiterate, they will be other alterations and modifications in their computation methods. I, like many other Elvis fans are eagerly awaiting these new changes in RIAA tabulations and certifications.
Let us hope that these changes happen soon!!
Peace out!!
New Kid

Ennis, TX

#12620 Sep 19, 2013
Elvis is.
The greatest seller of records ever
The most talked about singer ever
The most written about singer ever
The most imitated singer ever

Case closed!
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12625 Sep 20, 2013
And I'm getting ready to bash BILLBOARD magazine in regards to Elvis again,because I think it bears repeating.I and I'm sure that Victor and Octo will agree with me that this lame magazine UNDERPOSITIONED many and I mean MANY of his singles and albums,here are just a FEW examples;`ELVIS RECORDED LIVE ON STAGE IN MEMPHIS,PEAK POSITION,NO.33,RIAA GOLD CERTIFIED;WELCOME TO MY WORLD,PEAK POSITION,44,RIAA PLATINUM CERTIFIED,`ELVIS CHRISTMAS ALBUM FROM 1970[BEST SELLING HOLIDAY ALBUM OF ALL TIME]13X PLATINUM,UNCHARTED[IT'S TRUE],`YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE',PEAK POSITION,69,3X RIAA PLATINUM CERTIFIED,as the old saying goes`SOMETHIN' AIN'T COMPUTIN',peace out
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12626 Sep 20, 2013
To Rick: There seems to be different perspectives on Elvis Presley's chart success and credit for hit records. According to noted Pop music Billboard magazine historian Joel Whitburn, Elvis is the number one artist of the entire rock era. However, Fred Bronson current editor and writer for Billboard magazine, has placed Presley at number four. Of course his list is comprised of the years 1958 to 2008. For some reason, Mr. Bronson has omitted the years 1955 to 1957, which were Presley's revolutionary years. Mr. Bronson has also removed ten number one songs from Presley's hit records tabulation, and close to 30 Presley hits during that time span. But in all earnest, that is Bronson, a man who has received an incredible amount of harsh criticism for this erroneous and probably malicious hit tabulation. He is a professed Beatles fan who probably has compromised his honesty and objectivity by selecting his favorite band and placing them at number one. To reiterate, his selection has probably clouded and shrouded his objectivity on the issue at hand. Nevertheless Rick, very few people take the Billboard list seriously anymore. The Billboard list is as inaccurate as the RIAA best selling list. It is a shame that some people rely on this list to gather information that is less than factual. However, the majority of musical pundits and historians are not swayed by this erroneous miscalculation of factual sales date. It is their estimation that Elvis Presley is the greatest record seller and hit record maker of all time. Bar none. Peace out!!
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12629 Sep 21, 2013
Right on,Victor,with your assessment of the CLEAR bias against Elvis by this crap load of a magazine.To me,the fact that these Elvis albums charted low on this magazine yet achieved such great sales successes only CONFIRMS the fact that BILLBOARD has a definite ANTI-ELVIS BIAS,and has had this bias towards Elvis for decades.SALES FIGURES DON'T LIE,BUT CHART PLACINGS BY BIASED INDIVIDUALS CAN DEFINITELY LIE,and that is the sad and solemn truth of BILLBOARD'S shafting of The King,further confirmed that the editor of BILLBOARD,Fred `braindead' Bronson professes himself to be a big Beatles fan,FURTHER CONFIRMATION OF ANTI-ELVIS BIAS,not surprising,peace out.
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#12630 Sep 21, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
To Rick: There seems to be different perspectives on Elvis Presley's chart success and credit for hit records. According to noted Pop music Billboard magazine historian Joel Whitburn, Elvis is the number one artist of the entire rock era. However, Fred Bronson current editor and writer for Billboard magazine, has placed Presley at number four. Of course his list is comprised of the years 1958 to 2008. For some reason, Mr. Bronson has omitted the years 1955 to 1957, which were Presley's revolutionary years. Mr. Bronson has also removed ten number one songs from Presley's hit records tabulation, and close to 30 Presley hits during that time span. But in all earnest, that is Bronson, a man who has received an incredible amount of harsh criticism for this erroneous and probably malicious hit tabulation. He is a professed Beatles fan who probably has compromised his honesty and objectivity by selecting his favorite band and placing them at number one. To reiterate, his selection has probably clouded and shrouded his objectivity on the issue at hand. Nevertheless Rick, very few people take the Billboard list seriously anymore. The Billboard list is as inaccurate as the RIAA best selling list. It is a shame that some people rely on this list to gather information that is less than factual. However, the majority of musical pundits and historians are not swayed by this erroneous miscalculation of factual sales date. It is their estimation that Elvis Presley is the greatest record seller and hit record maker of all time. Bar none. Peace out!!
What I don't understand is all the recordings Elvis sold after his' death. I remember all of RCA and other pressing plants running 24/7 , just to keep up! I know they had to keep a tally. Follow the $$ paper work and they'll find the numbers.
How can you omit '55 thru '58! That would be like only counting the Model T Fords and not the Model A Fords! Heck, I'm sure Mr. Ford kept a tally!!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12631 Sep 21, 2013
To Dennis and Rick!! Both of you gentlemen are right and I could not have agreed with you more. But keep in mind, that this research and investigative process into Presley's lost recording sales is still ongoing. If both of you can remember, it was only ten years ago that Presley's ongoing research catapulted him from 6th place to 4th place to 3rd place and now to second place on the RIAA's so called best selling list. I believe that it's only a matter of time before Presley's record sales figures are justly modified, due to new and present independent audits, which to reiterate, are still ongoing. The public clamor and demand has been reflective, especially in the last 10 to 15 years of this ongoing process to find and locate Presley's lost record sales of that 1977-1979 period. I do not think it really matters either way due to the fact that the large majority of musical executives,pundits and historians have already deferred this honor to Elvis Presley. In the words of Michael Omanski, Elvis has nothing to prove, he is the greatest record seller in the history of recorded music.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12632 Sep 21, 2013
To Dennis : You are absolutely right!! as I previously stated on past threads, RCA (Presley's
recording label) was using the pressing plants of other recording companies in order to keep up with the public clamor and demand in the wake and aftermath of Presley's death. In fact, in the four months after Elvis Presley's untimely death on August 16,1977, it is estimated that 200 million Presley records were sold worldwide in all formats. RCA's headquarters which was based in Indianapolis Indiana, was itself manufacturing and shipping 3 million Presley units a week. The combined total of pressing plants were shipping and distributing 20 million units a week. This astronomical amount of Presley's record sales kept going strong and in double figures up until June of 1978. Over 100 million albums were sold in the United States alone within that time span. Blanchard Tual a court appointed attorney who was responsible for the removal of Colonel Parker as business executor of the Presley estate, acknowledge these record sales figures in 1981. This led to the Washington Post story divulging that Elvis Aron Presley had surpassed the billion mark in record sales in 1982.
unfortunately, due to the illicit business shenanigans of Presley's manager(Colonel Tom Parker)these record sales have been misfiled, scattered or shredded. I have been told that they have found documentation on these 1977-1979 lost Presley sales. I believe that Carey Sherman (Present RIAA president) and Hillary Rosen
(former RIAA president) have both stated that Presley should be recognized as the best selling artist of all time in the United States. However, until they can locate these lost sales like they did past sales, we will probably never know. As previously stated, only a fraction of Presley's record sales have being formally tabulated and certified in sales by the Recording Industry Association of America. Peace out!!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12633 Sep 21, 2013
Moreover gentlemen keep in mind that on August 7,2002 Presley was at 86.5 in RIAA cumulative album sales total behind Garth Brooks, Led Zeppelin and the Beatles. Due to new independent audited figures and research on past sales, now Elvis is at 134.5. and in second place behind the Beatles. It is only a matter of time before Presley surpasses the Beatles who have been erroneously placed at number due 2 to Presley's missing record sales data. Let us be patient. Furthermore gentlemen, have a great day!!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12634 Sep 21, 2013
Beatles have been erroneously placed at number 2, due to Presley's missing record sales data. typo error on previous thread.
WTH

Ennis, TX

#12638 Sep 23, 2013
Enough BS already.The title of this forum is 150 Best Selling Artist In The World. Stick to that subject.
Dennis Hauser

Peoria, IL

#12639 Sep 23, 2013
WTH wrote:
Enough BS already.The title of this forum is 150 Best Selling Artist In The World. Stick to that subject.
AMEN!! Maybe someone should start a 150 Best Trolls Forum?!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jax parade and concert: 'American Idol' hopeful... 22 hr I Got Stung 2
News Watch Baltimore's Michael Jackson Protestor Per... Sat Amazing Grace 2
News Paul McCartney Debuts The Beatles Song In Japan Apr 30 WOMDRUDAEGUMIDEBD... 5
News Chris Crofton, Advice King: The Merits of Colle... Apr 29 January 32
For your eyes only Apr 28 Shut UP Maria 20
News Longtime Allendale music aficionado eager to ad... Apr 20 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News Get over this wife-beating poseur Apr 19 Ex Beatle Fan 4
More from around the web