150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

Dec 6, 2008 Full story: talk.livedaily.com 12,853

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Full Story
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12570 Sep 12, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Absolutely right Octo !! Red and Sonny are cousins.
By the way, the sound quality of Elvis at Stax is really impressive. The problem with this album release is that these same songs were release at one point or another. Especially in the Elvis Rhythm & country album (essential Elvis volume 5). Nevertheless a true collector like yourself should own it!! Peace out!!
I have "Rhythm And Country"

In fact, I got all the RCA Elvis releases from the mid to late 90's.

I made sure I did not miss any of them.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#12571 Sep 12, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Thanks for the feedback King Elvis !! I enjoy immensely participating on this forum. i get a lot of good information from you gentlemen, Even though the troll's responses are somewhat bothering. You see I have 2 young daughters who by the way are discovering the Elvis Music. They both love Elvis, and dance to Hound dog and Jailhouse Rock. They also read and enjoy the Elvis information from reliable sources like you,Octopus and Rick among others. I have to be wary with what they read from this highly degrading and uneducated troll. Once again thanks for the info, it is highly enlightened. peace out my friend!!
I appreciate the information, too. It's given me food for thought when deciding what to purchase.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12573 Sep 13, 2013
Gentlemen: A couple of album sales inconsistencies at the link named "GREASY LAKE Beatles,Elvis Presley and Garth Brooks album sales website". the gentleman who goes by the name "Earthslayer" states that the Beatles total United States album sales are at 161,259,000. He puts Presley at number 2 giving him credit for the total USA album sales of 154,175,000. Nevertheless, this sale figures cannot be accurate. He states that the Elvis (FOOL)album sold 300 thousand. the Elvis Fool album was certified 5 times platinum. also minor points he does not tabulated Extended Plays (EP's) in the totality of the album sales sum. Of course, Presley's 1977-1978 lost sales period is not tabulated. Furthermore I question the sales figures of all albums,namely 'A date with Elvis" and "For LP Fans Only. This is another list that is filled with inconsistent sales data. Peace out!!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12574 Sep 13, 2013
The Nielsen Soundscan sales data that Mr. Earthslayer goes from, pertaining to Presley's album sales data, leaves lot to be desired. This list is far from being factual or accurate!! Enough said.
Interested

Ennis, TX

#12575 Sep 13, 2013
Does anyone know what Elvis' soundscan totals are?
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12576 Sep 13, 2013
Elvis's career at the time just prior to the `68 comeback special was in trouble,no doubt,but it's also important to point out that Elvis made the BIGGEST COMEBACK IN SHOW BUSINESS HISTORY,Observer Rules,a couple of examples of this,from 1970 to his first posthumous release,`ELVIS IN CONCERT',IN October,1977,there were 35 albums released,studio and live albums,along with the budget releases,of those 35,28 of them reached gold,platinum or multi-platinum status,so Elvis popularity was certainly back on track in that department,not mention the wildly successful `ALOHA FROM HAWAII'concert special,reaching 1 billion plus viewers,[and no,I DON'T BELIEVE ALAN HANSONS CRACKBRAINED THEORY ON HOW MANY VIEWED IT,OK],and,like Octo said in a prior post,ELVIS WAS ALSO THE TOP CONCERT DRAW OF THE 1970'S,AND ELVIS DIDN'T EVEN FINISH OUT THE DECADE,so when Elvis wanted to be a SERIOUS artist making SERIOUS music again,the fans welcomed him back with open arms,and he picked up many NEW fans along the way,also,something the 60's counterculture media likes to conveniently forget,peace out.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12577 Sep 13, 2013
To Interested: I believe the total figure is
35,555,000. I believe this figure is for USA album sales only. This sales figure is comprised from the year 1991 to 2013. I hope this helps. Peace out!!
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12578 Sep 13, 2013
Hey,Victor,I have a question that you may know the answer to,as you know,Elvis is the most certfied artist in RIAA history,with many more to come according to your new info,what category do Elvis' 16 gold,10 platinum,amd 2 multi-platinum EXTENDED PLAY RECORDS fall into,I don't think they're in the singles category,are they in the album category,or are they separated from BOTH and not included at all in the RIAA's erroneous Presley sales tally,this question kind of has me baffled,peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12579 Sep 13, 2013
And that SOUNDSCAN sales total for Elvis still only tells PART of the story.People since 1991 have also bought Elvis cd's ONLINE and the Graceland mail order catalogue is the only way to purchase the many FOLLOW THAT DREAM releases,and those sales are not counted by SOUNDSCAN,so it could be another 5 to 10 million or more tacked on to the SOUNDSCAN total,I believe,peace out.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12580 Sep 13, 2013
TO RICK: The extended plays fall in the RIAA album sales tabulation. But keep in mind Rick, not all EP's have been RIAA certified.
Case in Point: "Strictly Elvis" and "Elvis Sails" are two EP's (which I was fortunate to buy in the 1970's)have never been certified in sales by the RIAA. These two EP's sold enormously back in their day receiving an RCA in house gold record award. Moreover I remember visiting Graceland numerous times in the 1980's and 1990's and seeing an(in house)(RCA) gold record for the Extended play titled "any way you want me". Yet this record (EP)has never been formally certified by the RIAA either. This is ludicrous, for this record sold in the millions. Furthermore the standards "a touch of gold series" volumes 1 to 3 on extended play all received an RCA gold record award, yet were never certified by the RIAA. To amplify your excellent points, Soundscan has never included the totality of sales of the FTD releases. As stated, their sales tabulation list, leaves a lot to be desired in factual accuracy.Peace out !!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12581 Sep 13, 2013
No Rick : The Extended plays are not formally tallied in the RIAA album sales figures. Elvis has 90 albums certified gold. That is 90x500,000= forty five million. Then he has 52 albums certified gold.
52 x 1 million= 52 million sold and certified platinum. 25 multiplatinum albums x 1.5 = 37.5 million. This is how they come up with this 134.5 million certified units. They exclude singles and extended plays. I agree with you. This figure is preposterous. To reiterate these new sales figures previously mentioned on past threads will be coming out soon. Trust me on this !!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12582 Sep 13, 2013
52 albums certified platinum, my mistake.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12583 Sep 13, 2013
Moreover Rick, I own a combined total of 878 Presley albums, excluding imports,that is, album released in the United states alone. I have been collecting Presley records since 1973. This is the year I discovered Elvis seeing him in the "Aloha Special. Elvis has an astronomical amount of albums that sold 200,000 to 300,000 units, and never reached that coveted 500,000 mark established by the RIAA in order to be certified gold. Combining the totality in sales of all these albums, you guessed it, Presley blows everyone away. This is why the RIAA has upset and angered Presley fans from all walks of life. Their best selling list is far from being accurate. I am glad that all this will soon change. But in my opinion Elvis will still be under certified. Isn't that crazy? Peace out!!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12584 Sep 13, 2013
To Rick; Oh and by the way, Alan Hanson is an ignoramus!!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12586 Sep 13, 2013
To myniki813!! YEAH I like chicken too!! Knowing how much you like Michael Jackson, I also have a large Michael Jackson collection. Peace out my friend!!
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12588 Sep 13, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Moreover Rick, I own a combined total of 878 Presley albums, excluding imports,that is, album released in the United states alone. I have been collecting Presley records since 1973. This is the year I discovered Elvis seeing him in the "Aloha Special. Elvis has an astronomical amount of albums that sold 200,000 to 300,000 units, and never reached that coveted 500,000 mark established by the RIAA in order to be certified gold. Combining the totality in sales of all these albums, you guessed it, Presley blows everyone away. This is why the RIAA has upset and angered Presley fans from all walks of life. Their best selling list is far from being accurate. I am glad that all this will soon change. But in my opinion Elvis will still be under certified. Isn't that crazy? Peace out!!
That is quite an impressive collection of Elvis albums, Victor. I also amassed a very large collection of Elvis, which includes Elvis's entire original catalog on CD plus the newer delated albums, boxed sets, FTD's, interview discs and my ongoing quests for live and studio outtake imports. I have vinyl LP albums, some extended plays, 45 rpm singles and even some classic vinyl LP bootlegs like, "The Last Farewell" "Special Delivery From Elvis Presley" "Command Performance" "Rockin' With Elvis April Fool's Day" "Elvis Is Alive And Well And Singing In Las Vegas" "America's Own" "Rockin' With Elvis New Year's Eve" and more. Of course, it is impossible to get all of them but I do look for things when the opportunity arises. I certainly know Elvis fans that have way more Elvis than I do. It is quite mindboggling how much is really out there on the king. A lot of people have no clue.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12592 Sep 13, 2013
Observer Rules wrote:
<quoted text>
To be honest, I downloaded my Stax set from iTunes straight to the iPod. Reason being the packaging didn't impress me that much, it's an atrociously ugly cover, and I'm running out of room to house any more CDs at my place.
Besides, there's nothing unreleased on it: yes, the sound quality is great, but really not that much better than what's been previously released. How many times can a song be digitally remastered anyway?
This is only my opinion, but while I thought the Stax sessions deserved a release like this, I've never thought either of the '73 sessions was what you'd call "great". Some brilliant stuff, to be sure, but also some middling stuff like Just A Little Bit. The last great session of Elvis' was, IMO, Memphis '69.
I'd love to see a similar CD set devoted to the Hollywood 1975 stuff, a major expansion of the Today sessions. Only 11 tracks, but most are great. Have to be content with the FTD of Today for that though.
King Elvis.
I have a lot of different releases of the Memphis 1969 stuff in all formats, "Suspicious Minds" delated release from the late 90's included. I have the imports, "Finding The Way Home" "American Crown Jewels" and the FTD, "Memphis Sessions" Incredible stuff!

But I like Elvis in all his periods. Is there anything that hasn't truly been covered yet? It is a shame that some studio outtakes from the fifties haven't been found, especially how Elvis might have developed "Hound Dog" from take 1 on. Outtakes from "Roustabout" has failed to show up too. I like hearing the early takes because sometimes the songs started out completely different than the masters. In some cases, the outtake is certainly superior.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12593 Sep 13, 2013
And Observer...

The new Straight Arrow, "Tanya For Dinner" is great!

I've been listening to it quite often since I've gotten it in the mail. It is very well pieced together for what seems like an incomplete audience recording made from two different sources. I know in the liner notes it claims only a bit was added to the superior tape but I can certainly hear the quality dip after Elvis does "Help Me" but then the sound suddenly improves as the CD goes on...

You are correct that it was one of Elvis's best Las Vegas engagements. The new CD is up there with the classic April 1st concert.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12594 Sep 13, 2013
To myniki813: You have never heard an Elvis song?
you must be kidding!! I'll be sending you a link soon. I am still working. I work long hours and take my trusted laptop every where I go. I have a very public E-mail address considering I belong to 5 different fan clubs. In case I forget the link,
My E-mail address is= victormanuelabreu@gmail.com
I am an attorney who specializes in immigration law, and a crazy avid Elvis fan who along with my wife(also an Elvis fan) share the same law firm, Abreu & Associates. We are presently boggled down with too much work. However I will be sending you a link sometime next week, my friend.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12595 Sep 13, 2013
To Octopus:I know you have a large collection: I have records from all over the continental United States. Singles and albums and extended plays from the 1950' and beyond. I have three copies of LOC 1035 with the original picture book. That is of course the 1957 Elvis Christmas Album. I also have bootlegs from the 1970's. One of the rarest is of course "The Legend lives on". It has the same cover as the 3rd disc on the Walk a Mile in my shoes'' box set. This is the same album that Presley sings the famous rendition of "Happy Birthday to James Burton" coupled with "When snow is on the roses". Also the vinyl set of the Burbank sessions is quite unique and rare. I also used to belong to the Paul Lichter record club. Lichter, as you may know is a world renowned record collector and Elvis record seller. I no longer purchase from him,though. I have gone virtually around the globe in order to expand and amplify my collection. In Latin America alone, I have amassed albums and singles from just about every country. "The Elvis Now" and 'That's The Way It Is albums with Spanish subtitles purchased in the country of Chile also cost me a fortune. But, hey it was worth it. I am still waiting on the album Elvis in Houston "We have a Problem" to be shipped to me. I want to know for sure if Elvis was that incoherent and lacking cohesiveness on stage that night. All in all, I have gone virtually everywhere and met people who have twice a larger collection of Presley records than myself. And to reiterate, I like to believe, I have a big one. Thanks for the info my friend !! Peace out!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For your eyes only Feb 28 Little monster 11
Paul McCartney Scores First Top Five Hit in 31 ... Feb 24 An NFL Fan 23
The Beatles week ahead: Remembering George Harr... (Nov '13) Feb 17 swadders 3
A Million ways to die in the west Feb 15 Little monster 2
Unreleased Beatles' songs Feb 15 Greg 1
Michael Jackson made Sly Stone homeless (Sep '11) Feb 9 An NFL Fan 87
This Forum Is Officially Pronounced DEAD (Feb '10) Jan '15 Bill Still sucks 33
More from around the web