150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

Dec 6, 2008 | Posted by: KB50MJ | Full story: talk.livedaily.com

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Comments
11,481 - 11,500 of 12,746 Comments Last updated Yesterday
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

RICK wrote:
Right on,Octo,about,about the liberal media and their bogus reasons for hating Elvis.All Elvis wanted was the federal narc badge and that's all and he wanted to butter up Nixon in order to get it.Elvis was not a political person,ELVIS DIDN'T EVEN VOTE,and he never used the badge other than to show it off to people,he never busted anybody,like a John Lennon,Elvis was an avid collector of badges from police departments around the country,and that's all there was to that,but the 60's counterculture use Nixon and Elvis'meeting as a pretext to hide the TRUE reason for their hatred of Elvis,his rivalry with the musical heroes of their generation,The Beatles,a rivalry that is starting to look lop-sided in favor of The King,by the way,peace out
And I'm an avid collector of Elvis music and memorabilia, which means that I search for many fine Elvis bootlegs on CD. I remember a few years back, I went to a yearly CD/Record fair and was scoping the tables for some new Elvis for my collection and had asked this hippie dude if he had any Elvis in which he directed me to Costello. I laughed at him. Obviously, he had some kind of bias against the king. But another dealer directly across from him did have plently of Elvis and I went over to her and bought $500 worth of Elvis right in front of the dude. Needless to say, his jaw dropped to the floor, he turned beat red with anger, frustration and I could see the veins popping out of his head. He had a lot of sixties bands but mostly The Grateful Dead. The dealer across from him sold mostly all Elvis the whole day and had a big smile on her face as she counted all her money. I laughed my ass off. It was hilarious and I will never forget it. By the way, my latest Elvis import came in the mail yesterday. "Tanya For Dinner" Las Vegas 3-28-75 DS is very good. The audience sound quality dips in a couple spots but overall, it is another great concert from the "Straight Arrow" label.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

To myniki813:
Well let me ask you this? In boxing, is it Muhammad Ali or Joe Louis ? In acting, is it Marlon Brando or Robet Deniro? Or is it Al Pacino or Humphrey Bogart? In Presidential politics,is it Washington or Lincoln or Jefferson? getting back to music, is it Sinatra, Crosby,Presley,The Beatles or Michael Jackson? The answer is: A different time and a different generation: a preferential choice so to speak. let me correct myself. It is your own preferential choice. Sure Presley has the stats. But were you around the Crosby era? Seems to me the older generation would prefer him over any other artist.
In my opinion there is no definitive answer. Only time will tell if Jackson's legacy will endure as long as Presley's. Good question my friend:
RICK

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

That's a very funny story,Octo,about the hippie dude at the record fair,his disdain for Elvis is unfortunately shared by many drug addled people from that generation.I thank God I didn't grow up in that generation,I was alive in a fair portion of it as a little boy,but all that I could see is that it was a generation of great turmoil and upheaval,leaders being assasinated,riots and violence in the streets,with many young people turning into social and moral degenerates,if those were `the good ol' days',their generation can keep them,me,I'd flush them down the toilet,where they belong,peace out.

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

Rolling Stone: Elvis At Stax, Four Stars.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreview...

Well, whaddaya know?

We're all still waiting on examples of the conspiracy of the "sixties media" being collectively biased against The King, by the way ... been waiting a long time for that (rolls eyes).

King Elvis.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

To King Elvis : I do not believe that there is a
total collective conspiracy bias against the King.
However, I cannot state for the record that Rick and Octopus are erroneous in their remarks either.
I do remember reading Albert Goldman's horrific 1981 biography about Elvis (now out of print). Goldman who passed away in the 1990's wrote in favorable light about 1960's drug addled counterculture hero/comic Lenny Bruce. Moreover, Goldman branded himself a 1960's left wing radical elitist. In fact, he bluntly portray's Presley and Nixon as heroes of the silent majority. Furthermore, he viciously berated Presley in writing, due to Elvis Presley's favorable standing with conservative America. I may wrong but I do not think that the 1960's liberal left wing elitist authors, men such as Goldman, Norman Mailer and George Plimpton were very kind to Presley in their political satires and writings. Peace out King!!

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

Victor Abreu wrote:
To King Elvis : I do not believe that there is a
total collective conspiracy bias against the King.
However, I cannot state for the record that Rick and Octopus are erroneous in their remarks either.
I do remember reading Albert Goldman's horrific 1981 biography about Elvis (now out of print). Goldman who passed away in the 1990's wrote in favorable light about 1960's drug addled counterculture hero/comic Lenny Bruce. Moreover, Goldman branded himself a 1960's left wing radical elitist. In fact, he bluntly portray's Presley and Nixon as heroes of the silent majority. Furthermore, he viciously berated Presley in writing, due to Elvis Presley's favorable standing with conservative America. I may wrong but I do not think that the 1960's liberal left wing elitist authors, men such as Goldman, Norman Mailer and George Plimpton were very kind to Presley in their political satires and writings. Peace out King!!
Rick isn't smart enough to know who Mailer and Plimpton were. And they were not of the 'counter culture', nor were they 'hippies'. In any case, he's referring to the 'sixties media', and in two years he has failed to give any examples, either individual or collective, of this alleged bias against Elvis. He also conveniently ignores the Rolling Stone online bio of Elvis, which is full of praise. Same with Billboard's. Or the fact that Elvis continually ranks high in any of RS's lists, eg best artistsm best singers etc.

King Elvis.

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

Oh, and on May 30, 1969, Elvis' music was played during Norman Mailer's run for mayor of New York.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

In fact, Steve Dunleavy ghost writer of the bodyguard book "Elvis What Happened", labeled Presley and I quote "poor white trash". Of course, he wrote the book maliciously with the supporting cast of the West brothers (Red and Sonny) and Dave Hebler. But who was Steve Dunleavy? a British left wing radical who denounced the Vietnam War and wrote unfavorably about America in the 1960's and 70's. Anyway my time is up. food for thought: You are king Elvis!! Have a great night!!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

Dunleavy was born in Australia, but made England his home for many years! my mistake!!
RICK

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Hey,Observer Rules,you can talk about authors like George Plimpton and Norman Mailer all you want,and I'm not putting down the positive social changes that occured in the 1960's,like Civil rights and I also agree that Vietnam was a big mistake and SHOULD have been protested,but you can't deny that a lot of bad things also emerged in that decade also,like drugs and a deterioration of people's social behavior,especially among the young.I was born in December,1963,I remember seeing the network news[NBC]when Robert Kennedy was assassinated,with my mom and dad,and also watched the news of the mass riot in downtown Chicago during the Democratic convention that same year,1968,but to me it's undeniable that it was NOT a fun time in America for many people,and not the kind of era that a lot of people look back at with fondness,but thankfully for me,at the time,I was way too young to know what was really going on,peace out.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

RICK wrote:
That's a very funny story,Octo,about the hippie dude at the record fair,his disdain for Elvis is unfortunately shared by many drug addled people from that generation.I thank God I didn't grow up in that generation,I was alive in a fair portion of it as a little boy,but all that I could see is that it was a generation of great turmoil and upheaval,leaders being assasinated,riots and violence in the streets,with many young people turning into social and moral degenerates,if those were `the good ol' days',their generation can keep them,me,I'd flush them down the toilet,where they belong,peace out.
It really is pointless to care what other people might say or think because it is strictly done to try and hurt Elvis fans. And yet, thirty-six years later, I am still an Elvis fan. Since I continue to buy and collect Elvis bootlegs at a rapid rate, I do not believe I am one of the few that still care. They wouldn't still be putting them out if no one bought them. Thousands of Elvis fans still gather in front of Graceland every single year and he is still getting new gold and platinum awards. Obviously, Elvis is the biggest entertainment legend of all time and he certainly does not have anything more to prove. I just enjoy the music and ignore the negative comments. The beautiful thing about collecting rock era music is that I can enjoy other artists as well. Of course, it is ridiculous that some sixties culture nuts criticize Elvis for loving his country when Jimi Hendrix played "The Star Spangled Banner" on guitar at Woodstock. They are truly hypocrites. But whatever, Rick.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Observer Rules wrote:
Rolling Stone: Elvis At Stax, Four Stars.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreview...
Well, whaddaya know?
We're all still waiting on examples of the conspiracy of the "sixties media" being collectively biased against The King, by the way ... been waiting a long time for that (rolls eyes).
King Elvis.
I might consider purchacing "Elvis At Stax" (the three disc version)

I've heard that the sound quality is excellent and all the songs are collected together in one neat package. It is great that Rolling Stone is giving it great reviews because the music has always been overlooked from that period.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Victor Abreu wrote:
In fact, Steve Dunleavy ghost writer of the bodyguard book "Elvis What Happened", labeled Presley and I quote "poor white trash". Of course, he wrote the book maliciously with the supporting cast of the West brothers (Red and Sonny) and Dave Hebler. But who was Steve Dunleavy? a British left wing radical who denounced the Vietnam War and wrote unfavorably about America in the 1960's and 70's. Anyway my time is up. food for thought: You are king Elvis!! Have a great night!!
Red and Sonny West are cousins.

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I might consider purchacing "Elvis At Stax" (the three disc version)
I've heard that the sound quality is excellent and all the songs are collected together in one neat package. It is great that Rolling Stone is giving it great reviews because the music has always been overlooked from that period.
To be honest, I downloaded my Stax set from iTunes straight to the iPod. Reason being the packaging didn't impress me that much, it's an atrociously ugly cover, and I'm running out of room to house any more CDs at my place.

Besides, there's nothing unreleased on it: yes, the sound quality is great, but really not that much better than what's been previously released. How many times can a song be digitally remastered anyway?

This is only my opinion, but while I thought the Stax sessions deserved a release like this, I've never thought either of the '73 sessions was what you'd call "great". Some brilliant stuff, to be sure, but also some middling stuff like Just A Little Bit. The last great session of Elvis' was, IMO, Memphis '69.

I'd love to see a similar CD set devoted to the Hollywood 1975 stuff, a major expansion of the Today sessions. Only 11 tracks, but most are great. Have to be content with the FTD of Today for that though.

King Elvis.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Absolutely right Octo !! Red and Sonny are cousins.
By the way, the sound quality of Elvis at Stax is really impressive. The problem with this album release is that these same songs were release at one point or another. Especially in the Elvis Rhythm & country album (essential Elvis volume 5). Nevertheless a true collector like yourself should own it!! Peace out!!

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

RICK wrote:
Hey,Observer Rules,you can talk about authors like George Plimpton and Norman Mailer all you want,and I'm not putting down the positive social changes that occured in the 1960's,like Civil rights and I also agree that Vietnam was a big mistake and SHOULD have been protested,but you can't deny that a lot of bad things also emerged in that decade also,like drugs and a deterioration of people's social behavior,especially among the young.I was born in December,1963,I remember seeing the network news[NBC]when Robert Kennedy was assassinated,with my mom and dad,and also watched the news of the mass riot in downtown Chicago during the Democratic convention that same year,1968,but to me it's undeniable that it was NOT a fun time in America for many people,and not the kind of era that a lot of people look back at with fondness,but thankfully for me,at the time,I was way too young to know what was really going on,peace out.
It's me, King Elvis, Rick (back to using my old registered name here).

Yes, you have a point re the sixties, but it was also the most exciting time in America and the western world, for revolution. Nothing has eclipsed it.

But to suggest there is a blanket bias against Elvis from the "sixties media" is nonsense.

Besides, what was Elvis doing while the musical and social revolution was going on? Crap movies and appalling soundtracks mostly. It wasn't until 1968 that he re-emerged.

King Elvis.

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Victor Abreu wrote:
Steve Dunleavy did not write the book to be malicious. I knew Steve many years ago, and I can assure you that he was - and presumably still is - a huge fan of Elvis. Yes, the book was sensationalised, but it's basically truthful.

As for "poor white trash" - it may have been politically incorrect to say that, but that's exactly what the Presleys were in the 30s.

As for Vietnam, Steve was right to denounce it. We, ie the USA, Australia and others, should never have been there. Just like Iraq, Afghanistan and possibly Syria soon - we should have kept our noses out of it.

As for Goldman's book: appalling in every respect. But, having said that, it remains a well-written book. THAT was malicious for sure.

King Elvis.

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Victor Abreu wrote:
Absolutely right Octo !! Red and Sonny are cousins.
By the way, the sound quality of Elvis at Stax is really impressive. The problem with this album release is that these same songs were release at one point or another. Especially in the Elvis Rhythm & country album (essential Elvis volume 5). Nevertheless a true collector like yourself should own it!! Peace out!!
There are also better takes available on things like the Undedited Masters series too. More dialogue, different outtakes.

(And ignore the troll's responses again, too. Topix will delete them).

King Elvis.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Thanks for the feedback King Elvis !! I enjoy immensely participating on this forum. i get a lot of good information from you gentlemen, Even though the troll's responses are somewhat bothering. You see I have 2 young daughters who by the way are discovering the Elvis Music. They both love Elvis, and dance to Hound dog and Jailhouse Rock. They also read and enjoy the Elvis information from reliable sources like you,Octopus and Rick among others. I have to be wary with what they read from this highly degrading and uneducated troll. Once again thanks for the info, it is highly enlightened. peace out my friend!!
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Observer Rules wrote:
<quoted text>
To be honest, I downloaded my Stax set from iTunes straight to the iPod. Reason being the packaging didn't impress me that much, it's an atrociously ugly cover, and I'm running out of room to house any more CDs at my place.
Besides, there's nothing unreleased on it: yes, the sound quality is great, but really not that much better than what's been previously released. How many times can a song be digitally remastered anyway?
This is only my opinion, but while I thought the Stax sessions deserved a release like this, I've never thought either of the '73 sessions was what you'd call "great". Some brilliant stuff, to be sure, but also some middling stuff like Just A Little Bit. The last great session of Elvis' was, IMO, Memphis '69.
I'd love to see a similar CD set devoted to the Hollywood 1975 stuff, a major expansion of the Today sessions. Only 11 tracks, but most are great. Have to be content with the FTD of Today for that though.
King Elvis.
I've tried looking for the "Elvis At Stax" release at Walmart because their prices are way cheaper than FYE. It is something I'd pick up if the price is right since I have all the original albums and outtakes anyway. I've been reading about how good the sound quality is so it would certainly be something I'd play. The great tracks are some of my favorites and I could deal with the lesser songs from those sessions. I love the "Today" album and have a lot of outtakes from that session too. I wish Elvis recorded enough for two albums at his last recording studio date but like you said, it was only eleven songs. I still have room on my wall for more Elvis CD's. If by chance I run out of room, I'll just build another wall unit. My wife thinks I am crazy to have that many Elvis CD's. I keep them in proper order, you know.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Beatles Discussions

Search the The Beatles Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The year after the Beatles met E 6 hr dreamingofelvis 137
Portraits of Beatles as Old Men Jul 27 Yerushalimey 1
mel vs. bozo (Feb '10) Jul 26 Looftess 6
Guitarist says McCartney hit 'crazy' high notes... Jul 19 Jimbo 1
Today in Rock: July 14 Jul 14 Will Dockery 1
Why do people hate Yoko Ono? (Sep '09) Jul 9 BeedleBug 281
Ringo turns 74 Jul 7 Greg 1
•••
•••