150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

Dec 6, 2008 Full story: talk.livedaily.com 12,854

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Read more
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12521 Sep 9, 2013
Right on,Octo,about,about the liberal media and their bogus reasons for hating Elvis.All Elvis wanted was the federal narc badge and that's all and he wanted to butter up Nixon in order to get it.Elvis was not a political person,ELVIS DIDN'T EVEN VOTE,and he never used the badge other than to show it off to people,he never busted anybody,like a John Lennon,Elvis was an avid collector of badges from police departments around the country,and that's all there was to that,but the 60's counterculture use Nixon and Elvis'meeting as a pretext to hide the TRUE reason for their hatred of Elvis,his rivalry with the musical heroes of their generation,The Beatles,a rivalry that is starting to look lop-sided in favor of The King,by the way,peace out
Paul

Edwardsville, IL

#12522 Sep 9, 2013
Well you guys may think differently of my opinions but I have a liberal background that goes way back on many different fronts.
Did not like the Vietnam war and did protest it-because the politicians (on both sides) were not letting the military fight the war from a military standpoint-but from a "political standpoint"
Some protested because they felt a draft was not fair-(and since then both sides went to a volunteer army with better pay and perks)
some because they wanted to be "IN" and some like me for more serious reasoning.
But our soldiers should always be honored no matter the reason for the fighting because they are just doing their job.

Nixon was pulling many secret operations in Vietnam that were not squaring with his public statements of things we would not do, or be involved in-and most importantly Nixon ran in the 68 election on a promise of stopping the war and bringing home our men..but instead he escalated for a few years and that angered many young people who voted for him.
There is nothing wrong with protest or questioning your country-thats what we stand for.
Elvis was not into thinking through these type questions-it just was not him, but he cared for his country and for whomever was President at the time.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12523 Sep 9, 2013
Paul wrote:
Well you guys may think differently of my opinions but I have a liberal background that goes way back on many different fronts.
Did not like the Vietnam war and did protest it-because the politicians (on both sides) were not letting the military fight the war from a military standpoint-but from a "political standpoint"
Some protested because they felt a draft was not fair-(and since then both sides went to a volunteer army with better pay and perks)
some because they wanted to be "IN" and some like me for more serious reasoning.
But our soldiers should always be honored no matter the reason for the fighting because they are just doing their job.
Nixon was pulling many secret operations in Vietnam that were not squaring with his public statements of things we would not do, or be involved in-and most importantly Nixon ran in the 68 election on a promise of stopping the war and bringing home our men..but instead he escalated for a few years and that angered many young people who voted for him.
There is nothing wrong with protest or questioning your country-thats what we stand for.
Elvis was not into thinking through these type questions-it just was not him, but he cared for his country and for whomever was President at the time.
I was born in 1966, so I do not understand our involvement in Vietnam or Richard Nixon. I've read about it and tried to make sense of it, but it was before my time. From what I was told, the USSR was smuggling weapons down a river through Vietnam. I still can't figure out why we were there. I can understand Watergate and Nixon spying on the other party. However, Nixon stepped down. He admitted what he did was illegal. This was 1974, into most of his term. Elvis met with Richard Nixon in 1970, before any of the other stuff happened. War protest/civil rights issues were in the sixties while Johnson was president. Why didn't they criticize him?
Paul

Edwardsville, IL

#12524 Sep 9, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I was born in 1966, so I do not understand our involvement in Vietnam or Richard Nixon. I've read about it and tried to make sense of it, but it was before my time. From what I was told, the USSR was smuggling weapons down a river through Vietnam. I still can't figure out why we were there. I can understand Watergate and Nixon spying on the other party. However, Nixon stepped down. He admitted what he did was illegal. This was 1974, into most of his term. Elvis met with Richard Nixon in 1970, before any of the other stuff happened. War protest/civil rights issues were in the sixties while Johnson was president. Why didn't they criticize him?
Johnson was under as much fire as Nixon-which is why the young say Nixon as their candidate when he promised to end the war quickly "Peace with honor" was his slogan.
Nixon got the youth vote and it helped him greatly.
Not to get political here but Nixon was a pretty good president except for his slowness of ending the Vietnam "conflict"
He was a flawed man-many great men are and he actually proposed some form of univeral healthcare because he foresaw the huge healthcare crisis and cost explosion that occured since he was in office-but he gained no traction on this idea with his own party.
Unfortunately his "stick it to my enemies" mentality after he took office got the best of him-and some of his staff.
His own worry about not being treated fairly by history caused him to install the taping system that eventually recorded him plotting and participating in the huge Watergate mess-I read the Transcripts of those tapes from cover to cover and it was pretty sad.
Each year they release a few more of those tapes from the archives and more things come out.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12525 Sep 9, 2013
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Johnson was under as much fire as Nixon-which is why the young say Nixon as their candidate when he promised to end the war quickly "Peace with honor" was his slogan.
Nixon got the youth vote and it helped him greatly.
Not to get political here but Nixon was a pretty good president except for his slowness of ending the Vietnam "conflict"
He was a flawed man-many great men are and he actually proposed some form of univeral healthcare because he foresaw the huge healthcare crisis and cost explosion that occured since he was in office-but he gained no traction on this idea with his own party.
Unfortunately his "stick it to my enemies" mentality after he took office got the best of him-and some of his staff.
His own worry about not being treated fairly by history caused him to install the taping system that eventually recorded him plotting and participating in the huge Watergate mess-I read the Transcripts of those tapes from cover to cover and it was pretty sad.
Each year they release a few more of those tapes from the archives and more things come out.
I saw interviews on Nixon when he was older and he was very intelligent. At least, he stepped down from office for the good of the country. I was just a small child in that era but the seventies were a fun time to be a kid. I never grasped the full impact of Watergate or Vietnam. I remember Jimmy Carter mostly and the music of that time. I remember the gas lines at the pump and the big boats that were still on the road.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12526 Sep 9, 2013
Gentlemen: keep in mind that Richard Nixon was elected twice. He defeated Hubert Humphries and George T. McGovern in landslide elections in 1968 and 1972 respectively.
This means many Americans supported policies of "Detente"(communist containment) among others. One of these supporters was Elvis Presley. Nixon was scheduled to embark on a new domestic policy in labeling drugs as Americas number one problem.
What better way to support his agenda than to enlist the consummate entertainer and patriot to assist him through this very important endeavors.
I believe Presley heeded his call to arms as a patriot. Elvis was genuinely concerned about the plight of youth culture and drug abuse. I think this is what made Presley so special and unique,a willingness to serve his country.
Paul

Edwardsville, IL

#12527 Sep 9, 2013
I was married in 72 and gas was 27-30 cents a gallon then we had the first Arab embargo on oil and some added tensions and the price went up to 70 cents a gallon just like that.
Since then its never been the same.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#12528 Sep 9, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Where on earth did you read that, about Vietnam? The prime minister of Vietnam loved the american Constitution so much, he created such a document for his own people. American involvement in Vietnam was shameful.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

#12529 Sep 9, 2013
Octo, I'm trying to argue with you, about Vietnam. I'm just genuinely shocked. I come from a family of right-wing nut jobs. They are convinced America was trying to save Vietnam from communist China. Nevermind the history between Vietnam and China wasn't good.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

#12530 Sep 9, 2013
Correctin: I'm NOT trying to argue with you.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12531 Sep 9, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Where on earth did you read that, about Vietnam? The prime minister of Vietnam loved the american Constitution so much, he created such a document for his own people. American involvement in Vietnam was shameful.
I've never heard that. I was in 9th grade and asked the teacher why exactly did the US get involved in that conflict because I wasn't getting clear answers from the study, which was called, "Social Studies" that covered different topics including current events. The teacher told me that the USSR was shipping weapons on boats to Vietnam and people were killing each other. That was it and we moved to another topic. I'm not trying to be insulting because the war just never made any sense to me. All I saw was a jungle with American soldiers in mud and things being blown up. I have never figured out why we were there.
Paul

Edwardsville, IL

#12532 Sep 9, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Gentlemen: keep in mind that Richard Nixon was elected twice. He defeated Hubert Humphries and George T. McGovern in landslide elections in 1968 and 1972 respectively.
This means many Americans supported policies of "Detente"(communist containment) among others. One of these supporters was Elvis Presley. Nixon was scheduled to embark on a new domestic policy in labeling drugs as Americas number one problem.
What better way to support his agenda than to enlist the consummate entertainer and patriot to assist him through this very important endeavors.
I believe Presley heeded his call to arms as a patriot. Elvis was genuinely concerned about the plight of youth culture and drug abuse. I think this is what made Presley so special and unique,a willingness to serve his country.
Actually my friend Detente does not mean communist containment-it means easing of tensions amonst enemies or possible enemies.
Henry Kissenger was Nixons expert on Detente-he was a master negotiator and worked hard at trying to end the Vietnam conflict and to keep tensions among the US, China, and USSR to a minimum.
Nixons trip to China was a mission of "Detente" trying to ease the problems between the 2 countries through a historic first visit to that country.
I do think Elvis was concerned with illegal drug usage and its hold on addicts, but Elvis never made any overture after the Washington trip to actually do any service announcements, TV spots, or performances to promote awareness of the evils of illegal drugs.
The story goes that Parker was approached by the Nixon White House to give a Presidential performance-Parker asked what the fee would be The White House told him it was an honor to perform for a sitting president and no fees were paid-and Parker said he would give them a rock bottom price of $25,000.
One of Nixons staff thought about Elvis recording an anti-drug song-like an anthem....all sounds good but never happened.
If Elvis was fully engaged in the idea of helping curb young peoples drug usage-he would have taken more action at leasts thats what I get from how it all played out.
No doubt though he was sincere in many ideas-it was his follow through that seemed lacking.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12533 Sep 9, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
Octo, I'm trying to argue with you, about Vietnam. I'm just genuinely shocked. I come from a family of right-wing nut jobs. They are convinced America was trying to save Vietnam from communist China. Nevermind the history between Vietnam and China wasn't good.
It is not my intent to start a political debate. It was never fully explained to me for some reason. And I just let it go because my generation knows nothing about it. I was an eighties teen. I do not think my school program had it on their menu.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

#12534 Sep 9, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never heard that. I was in 9th grade and asked the teacher why exactly did the US get involved in that conflict because I wasn't getting clear answers from the study, which was called, "Social Studies" that covered different topics including current events. The teacher told me that the USSR was shipping weapons on boats to Vietnam and people were killing each other. That was it and we moved to another topic. I'm not trying to be insulting because the war just never made any sense to me. All I saw was a jungle with American soldiers in mud and things being blown up. I have never figured out why we were there.
We had no reason to be there. But thanks for clarifying who told you that.

But on the topic of Elvis, I respect him for staying out of politics. I imagine he would have said something about an issue, had he felt it absolutely necessary.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12535 Sep 9, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
We had no reason to be there. But thanks for clarifying who told you that.
But on the topic of Elvis, I respect him for staying out of politics. I imagine he would have said something about an issue, had he felt it absolutely necessary.
I think that was Parker's doing. He did not want Elvis offending half of his audience by letting his opinions on political issues known. Elvis did do "If I Can Dream" and "In The Ghetto" but Parker had no control once Elvis decided to those songs. It was because Elvis had briefly went over Parker's head with "The 1968 NBC Special" and "The 1969 Memphis Sessions" Originally, Parker wanted Elvis to do strictly a Christmas show and got voted down. He wasn't too happy. When Elvis returned to Memphis at American studios in 1969, Elvis recorded what he wanted and rejected what his own production company had sent. Again, Parker was pissed because they did not make money off the songs. They were hits and Elvis knew that they were going to be hits. Parker was a control freak but he couldn't control everything.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12536 Sep 9, 2013
To Paul : We both are partly correct. Detente meaning containment and easing of tensions.
Case in point: Nixon as you may know,served two terms as Vice President in the 1950's under Dwight Eisenhower. the secretary of state at the time was John Foster Dulles who brought about the policy named Domino Theory. So Nixon was aware of the need to contain communism which was making amplifications throughout the world, especially throughout southeast Asia. Mao Tse Tung The leader of the Chinese communist party had overthrown the nationalist government of Chiang Kai Shek in China in 1949. All through the 1950's and 1960's the Chinese government which was aided and abetted by the USSR wanted to expand their communist philosophy and dogma to all the far reaching countries within Asia. When Nixon met Mao with Chou en Lai presiding their meeting,Nixon was just not looking for an easement of tensions but containment. But anyway, we can debate this topic all night. Let us ease the tensions between Elvis and the powers that be at the RIAA. That's more important. Peace out!!
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12537 Sep 10, 2013
Right on with your last statement,Victor,Elvis life was all about one thing,MUSIC,and I,like you,respected Elvis for being a true patriot who loved his country and who served in the military with distinction[he rose to the the rank of sergeant],and in regards to the RIAA,these changes that you say are upcoming in regards to them FINALLY including Elvis `lost'and uncredited record sales,I'll take a wait and see attitude,I'll be totally convinced when I see these proposed changes come to reality,which I hope will be sooner rather than later,peace out.
Dolbyscat

Abbotsford, Canada

#12538 Sep 10, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
To Paul : We both are partly correct. Detente meaning containment and easing of tensions.
No!! actually Paul is absolutely correct..Detente does not mean containment...Containment may have been something that came about because of the policy of "d้tente", but is not part of the words definition.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12539 Sep 10, 2013
To DolbyScat!! In earnest, what I really meant was that Detente was an amplification or extension of containment. The parties mentioned could not have an easing of the tensions without compromising on containment. To this day historians and political scientists have mixed reservations on Nixon's Detente policies. Nevertheless, you, Paul and Rick are just one of the reasons among others, that I participate in this forum. Highly entertaining and opinionated with factual accuracy. Peace out !1
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12540 Sep 10, 2013
To Rick !!just got back home from the office with some late news. according to reports from a number of fan club members, new certifications are under way. Through their E-mails, Noted Sony Wiz executive in charge of Elvis Presley product development, Ernst Jorgensen is presently working in conjunction with the RIAA in tabulating album sales for new Presley certifications. Rick, this is an ongoing process. But at least, I know its happening. Too many fan club members collaborating within this information. We have too wait and see but these activities are certainly happening. I will give you more information as I receive it. Peace out!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is The Greatest Rock N Roll Band? [POLL] (Dec '12) Mon Octopus 10
This Forum Is Officially Pronounced DEAD (Feb '10) Mar 29 Let It Be 35
News The better Beatle: John Lennon or Paul McCartne... Mar 29 Come Together 2
Can my friends and I post, here? Mar 18 Toothless 10
For your eyes only Mar 16 Little monster 17
News Heather Mills Slams Ex-Husband Paul McCartney: ... Mar 15 Greg 1
News Paul McCartney Scores First Top Five Hit in 31 ... Feb '15 An NFL Fan 15
More from around the web