150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12903 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Paul

East Saint Louis, IL

#12499 Sep 8, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Hey Paul, Would you know the titles on the albums?
I appreciated it !!
The titles are Slow Train Coming and Saved.
Slowly into the 1980s Dylan was not as vocal about his conversion to Born Again Christian-and more or less returned to recording the type music he had before the conversion.
Paul

East Saint Louis, IL

#12500 Sep 8, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
John Lennon expected Elvis to stay the same but The Beatles were allowed to change? Elvis certainly became a better singer as he went on. I think the seventies stuff was great. Elvis showed that he could do a much wider range of styles. Bob Dylan understood Elvis. The criticism from Lennon was quite wrong since Elvis went in so many different directions. One would have to dig deeper to find them and apparently, John Lennon missed out.
You make a good point. The Beatles did not like the Elvis of Hollywood, nor the Elvis of "Its Now Or Never" or the MOR music.
George Harrison speaks of going to one of the MSG shows and he made his way back stage before the concert started-Elvis came out to talk for a few minutes and Harrison said he felt insignificant standing next to Elvis tanned, healthy looking and trim-but he wanted to tell Elvis...get back into your jeans, get rid of the orchestra and just play rock......funny the Beatles changed in a few years from pop singers singing about love, holding hands, etc to artists searching for truth, revolution, peace, love not war.....and they felt justified in doing so....but because Elvis was not still 21 and doing only harder rock music (that the Beatles grew up with) they looked down upon his changes.
Elvis was not under obligation to anyone-fans, other artists, etc
to be a certain way, sing a certain type of song, live a certain way.
Elvis sang what appealed to him, and that included just about everything you can imagine-if it struck a chord in him he would sing it.
The Beatles were not obliged to anyone either-but it is a contradiction in philosphy to say "I can change as I please everyone should be free"-but expect someone else should stay as I want.
Elvis also disliked the political side of the Beatles music and felt it was spreading discontent to the young-so he did not see their side on that subject.
They were of different eras, different childhoods, different countries-so naturally they would not have the same ideas about a variety of subjects.
Paul

East Saint Louis, IL

#12501 Sep 8, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Elvis went to the FBI building to ask for his narcotic badge first but wasn't successful. So, he went to Richard Nixon. The sixties culture fails to realize that Elvis had no political ambitions. He just wanted his badge. He would have asked for one from Jimmy Carter. Harmless. Elvis refused to give his opinions on Vietnam and if he would today refuse to be drafted. He said that he was just an entertainer and rather keep his views to himself.
In fact, he said that in 1972 while being interviewed by the press before doing his eight sold out MSG shows in New York. It was taped on camera. Yet, they hate Nixon so much that they somehow link Elvis to him. Elvis did not have anything to do with Nixon's policies or political ideas while in office.
Small correction, Elvis only did 4 MSG shows.(all sold out)
June 9th an evening show
June 10th an afternoon and evening show
June 11th an afternoon show.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/musi...
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12502 Sep 8, 2013
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Small correction, Elvis only did 4 MSG shows.(all sold out)
June 9th an evening show
June 10th an afternoon and evening show
June 11th an afternoon show.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/musi...
Yes, you are correct. I was incorrectly thinking that Elvis did a matinee for each of the four shows at the garden. I have the first concert on June 9th 1972 as the import, "Left A Good Job In The City" which is the concert George Harrison saw. Excellent show.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12503 Sep 8, 2013
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
You make a good point. The Beatles did not like the Elvis of Hollywood, nor the Elvis of "Its Now Or Never" or the MOR music.
George Harrison speaks of going to one of the MSG shows and he made his way back stage before the concert started-Elvis came out to talk for a few minutes and Harrison said he felt insignificant standing next to Elvis tanned, healthy looking and trim-but he wanted to tell Elvis...get back into your jeans, get rid of the orchestra and just play rock......funny the Beatles changed in a few years from pop singers singing about love, holding hands, etc to artists searching for truth, revolution, peace, love not war.....and they felt justified in doing so....but because Elvis was not still 21 and doing only harder rock music (that the Beatles grew up with) they looked down upon his changes.
Elvis was not under obligation to anyone-fans, other artists, etc
to be a certain way, sing a certain type of song, live a certain way.
Elvis sang what appealed to him, and that included just about everything you can imagine-if it struck a chord in him he would sing it.
The Beatles were not obliged to anyone either-but it is a contradiction in philosphy to say "I can change as I please everyone should be free"-but expect someone else should stay as I want.
Elvis also disliked the political side of the Beatles music and felt it was spreading discontent to the young-so he did not see their side on that subject.
They were of different eras, different childhoods, different countries-so naturally they would not have the same ideas about a variety of subjects.
I think Elvis had a well balanced array of material for his live act and wanted to do a mixture of then current covers in with his own hits. Obviously, Elvis could have said to George, "I like your older stuff like "My Bonnie" and "Hippy, Hippy Shake" better. Put your monkey grinder suits back on and go back to the Star Club with Pete Best. Quite frankly, Elvis's show was elvolving from when he first returned to live performances in 1969. It was a natural process of where Elvis was at by 1972. I do not think Elvis was criticizing strictly The Beatles when he wrote to Richard Nixon in 1970. He was talking about drug messages in rock lyrics, which could mean anybody. Since Elvis met with Led Zeppelin when he played at the LA Forum 5-11-74 and even introduced them to the audience, I am pretty sure Elvis had nothing against what other musicians were doing. Elvis wanted his narcotic badge because he collected them. Only Beatle nuts think that Elvis wanted The Beatles deported. And for what reason?
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12504 Sep 8, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
To Octopus: I believe you have a goldmine in that very valuable CD. I am still in possession of the ticket stubs, which were $10.00 a piece. You are absolutely correct Elvis was in incredible vocal form that night. Physically he was overweight, but looked in fine form that night. In fact, Carl Hiassen a Miami Herald beat reporter at the time wrote the front page review," The Pelvis shakes,14,700 Swoon". A week before the concert my mother who worked in a Burdines Federated store received an offer from a co-worker female Presley fan offering to buy our three tickets for a thousand dollars. A lot of money back then. My mother contemplated the offer, but after looking at my pained facial expression, she declined the offer. I am so glad she did. 6 months later
we all wept as the king was laid to rest. Anyway, thanks for the memories my friend. Peace Out
The concert boot was an older title probably released in the 1990's but is a very good audience recording. I wouldn't know how valuable it is because I have thousands of them on Elvis alone. I also have a ticket from Jacksonville 4-3-77 that Elvis never played but later made up in May of that year. It was never ripped in half like they used to do back then as you entered the arena.
Paul

East Saint Louis, IL

#12505 Sep 8, 2013
Elvis was a very pro American individual and I think the critical talk of American adventurism in Vietnam was not to his way of thinking.
Elvis had a right to his opinions but so did everyone else and many people forget that the great thing about America is you can protest against anything peacefully even your countries policies.
Elvis must have liked the Beatles music somewhat because he recorded some of it-but I do not think that may have carried over into their political ideas.
Nixon was the President and he was under fire at home and abroad, Elvis not being really political just saw a President under fire-and the Pro American side of him came out.
But the Badge was of prime importance to him-the award he got as one of the 10 Outstanding Young Men probably spurred his thinking about trying to contribute in some way beyond money to charities.
The Badge may have been a symbol to him of trying to get more involved in the world-or it just could have been another "want of something hard to get"
...or a little of both.
A lack of interaction outside the norm limited Elvis in many ways and understanding and expanding his political thinking was one of them.
But we are who we are.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12507 Sep 8, 2013
To Paul: Many thanks on the Bob Dylan Info!! I am presently trying to amplify my music library with all different of types of artistic genres. What better way than with something unusual, like religious music from the great Bob Dylan. Again many thanks!!
Peace out!!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12508 Sep 8, 2013
To Paul: Many thanks on the Bob Dylan Info!! I am presently trying to amplify my music library with all different types of artistic genres. What better way than with something unusual, like religious music from the great Bob Dylan. Again many thanks!!
Peace out!!

oops!! Typo error :
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12509 Sep 8, 2013
Paul wrote:
Elvis was a very pro American individual and I think the critical talk of American adventurism in Vietnam was not to his way of thinking.
Elvis had a right to his opinions but so did everyone else and many people forget that the great thing about America is you can protest against anything peacefully even your countries policies.
Elvis must have liked the Beatles music somewhat because he recorded some of it-but I do not think that may have carried over into their political ideas.
Nixon was the President and he was under fire at home and abroad, Elvis not being really political just saw a President under fire-and the Pro American side of him came out.
But the Badge was of prime importance to him-the award he got as one of the 10 Outstanding Young Men probably spurred his thinking about trying to contribute in some way beyond money to charities.
The Badge may have been a symbol to him of trying to get more involved in the world-or it just could have been another "want of something hard to get"
...or a little of both.
A lack of interaction outside the norm limited Elvis in many ways and understanding and expanding his political thinking was one of them.
But we are who we are.
Elvis liked playing cop and collected guns and badges. I don't think he was involved in any political party. He met with Johnson and Jimmy Carter, both Democrats. Richard Nixon actually gave Elvis his narcotics badge and Elvis gave him a handgun. Imagine that. It would never happen in this day and age.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12510 Sep 8, 2013
Elvis was an American. He was a patriot. He wasn't a Jerry Rubin, Eldridge Cleaver, Rap Brown or Abbie Hoffman. He would never even consider burning the American flag as a sign of protest. He never stated anything like a Cassius Clay "AKA" "Muhammad Ali' who publicly and vociferously stated "I don't have a quarrel with them Vietcong". No, apart from his artistic prowess, what endeared him to so many people, was the fact that he pretty much kept his personal political beliefs and religious views to himself. Also of note, he went to great lengths to
attain his federal narcotics badge. If you can remember, he was turn down by drug czar John Finlator. Moreover Nixon's Chief of Staff H.R. Haldeman voiced a strong opinion against giving Presley his federal narcotics badge. Yet Presley's ambition and "never say die attitude" was the reason he prevailed. A must book to read that gives you an inkling into Presley's thinking and persona is Elvis: The Final years by Jerry Hopkins: The book goes into exquisite detail about Nixon's encounter with Presley. A must read for Elvis fans!!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12511 Sep 8, 2013
Gentlemen, also remember that before Spiro Agnew was
forced to resign as Vice President due to income tax evasion, Presley wanted to present Mr. Agnew with a Colt Python 45. Agnew refused the offer stating that "He as as public official could not accept any gratuity from a United States taxpayer. But in all earnest, Presley was a true and Bona Fide American.
I am glad that this part of his life is coming out and being told in great detail shedding much well deserved respect on his values and overall patriotism. Peace out!!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12512 Sep 8, 2013
My apologies: Let me correct myself,it was a
357 Magnum that Presley presented to Former Vice President Spiro Agnew. Have a great day gentlemen!1!

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#12513 Sep 8, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
The whole notion that Elvis was ever washed up in the seventies is pure nonsense. He sold out Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe engagements and road tours from 1969-1977. Elvis won a grammy for his gospel album, "He Touched Me" (1972) and won for his performance of "How Great Thou Art" off of "Elvis Recorded Live In Memphis" (1974) The superior studio albums, "Good Times" "Promised Land" and "Today" did not get massive pop radio play but Elvis did do well on the country and easy listening charts. He did not kiss up to corporate rock radio. Even so, Elvis had 38 Gold and Platinum album releases from 1970-1980 alone. Some has been. No one else does that. I've counted them as they were listed in Joe Tunzi's excellent "Sessions III" book. I have the first concert of 1977 from Hollywood, Flordia 2-12-77. Great show. Elvis started his winter tour off with some strong shows. I was also eleven in 1977 and wish I had the chance to see Elvis live. You are very fortunate.
My cousin owned "He Touched Me." She was much older, so I was always ecstatic when she invited me to hear it. I was quite taken when I heard him singing those songs. I should find out if she still owns it.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12514 Sep 9, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
My cousin owned "He Touched Me." She was much older, so I was always ecstatic when she invited me to hear it. I was quite taken when I heard him singing those songs. I should find out if she still owns it.
Yeah, it is still a great album and you do not even have to be religious to like it. The FTD release is still available at Graceland. It has excellent studio outtakes from the sessions packaged with the original album. The sound quality is first rate.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12515 Sep 9, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Elvis was an American. He was a patriot. He wasn't a Jerry Rubin, Eldridge Cleaver, Rap Brown or Abbie Hoffman. He would never even consider burning the American flag as a sign of protest. He never stated anything like a Cassius Clay "AKA" "Muhammad Ali' who publicly and vociferously stated "I don't have a quarrel with them Vietcong". No, apart from his artistic prowess, what endeared him to so many people, was the fact that he pretty much kept his personal political beliefs and religious views to himself. Also of note, he went to great lengths to
attain his federal narcotics badge. If you can remember, he was turn down by drug czar John Finlator. Moreover Nixon's Chief of Staff H.R. Haldeman voiced a strong opinion against giving Presley his federal narcotics badge. Yet Presley's ambition and "never say die attitude" was the reason he prevailed. A must book to read that gives you an inkling into Presley's thinking and persona is Elvis: The Final years by Jerry Hopkins: The book goes into exquisite detail about Nixon's encounter with Presley. A must read for Elvis fans!!
I've read both of Jerry Hopkin's Elvis paperbacks years ago. I do not think they are not in print anymore though.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12516 Sep 9, 2013
I agree with you 100 percent,Victor,Elvis's meeting with President Nixon,the most hated political figure of the 60's counterculture,and his letter to Nixon about his dislike of the left wing radicals certainly did hurt his standing with these people,but to me that is still no excuse.And I also agree that this skewed left wing mindset is shared by the idiots who run the RIAA and the IFIP,but that doesn't take away the responsibility of these organizations to TELL THE TRUTH.And the 60's counterculture generation doesn't exactly have clean hands.THEIR GENERATION brought the scurge of drugs to the forefront of American society,a scurge that unfortunately is still with us today,and look at television today,there are no more popular TV shows THAT THE WHOLE FAMILY CAN WATCH IN PRIMETIME ANYMORE,every show has `adult' themes now,usually involving salty language about sex,and showing scenes of gratuitous violence,run by 60's counterculture influenced jerks,THE INMATES ARE NOW RUNNING THE ASYLUM,SO TO SPEAK,the old TV shows were so much better,peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12517 Sep 9, 2013
And you're right,Victor,Elvis was a true AMERICAN,who loved his country,loved God,loved his mother and father dearly,was kind and VERY generous to his friends and family,AND WHO ALSO LOVED HIS FANS DEARLY,ALSO,and was the most beloved Pop music icon of all time,but the fact that Elvis was a patriotic American gets twisted and made `controversial',a common practice of the left wing koo koo radicals,but their viewpoint of Elvis is in the MINORITY,the media in this country only represents the public viewpoint 5 PERCENT OF THE TIME,the other 95 percent they try to shove their lamebrain ideology down our collective throats,but,to quote Abraham Lincoln`you can't fool all the people all the time',peace out.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12518 Sep 9, 2013
The White House meeting between Elvis wasn't even captured on film or recorded on audio. It was basically Elvis flying to Washington on a lark to get his badge. I think the liberal media makes a big stink over something that Elvis really never cared about. He just wanted his narcotics badge as he already had police badges from all over the country. He liked playing cop on his free time, which wasn't often. Elvis did not sing about drug use and glorifly the use of drugs. Plus he wasn't anti-American like John Lennon or Jane Fonda. The badge symbolized power to Elvis but he never abused it. I could understand liberals attacking Elvis if he had actually used the badge to bust John Lennon or something but he didn't. He didn't even bad mouth him in public. So what do they do? They lie about Elvis wanting The Beatles deported and some actually believe it. Elvis was playing a role out of boredom because he wanted very much to play an FBI agent or a cop in a movie. His meeting with the president seemed to satisfiy his need to be a badass after making so many horrible movies like "Clambake" in which he knew he was being laughed at. I do not think Elvis was trying to be political. It is really too bad that Elvis never got to make the action film he so much desired to star in.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12520 Sep 9, 2013
RICK wrote:
And you're right,Victor,Elvis was a true AMERICAN,who loved his country,loved God,loved his mother and father dearly,was kind and VERY generous to his friends and family,AND WHO ALSO LOVED HIS FANS DEARLY,ALSO,and was the most beloved Pop music icon of all time,but the fact that Elvis was a patriotic American gets twisted and made `controversial',a common practice of the left wing koo koo radicals,but their viewpoint of Elvis is in the MINORITY,the media in this country only represents the public viewpoint 5 PERCENT OF THE TIME,the other 95 percent they try to shove their lamebrain ideology down our collective throats,but,to quote Abraham Lincoln`you can't fool all the people all the time',peace out.
That is because the liberal media are paranoid. Elvis was neither Republican or Democrat. I do not think he even voted. He was drafted and did his two years in the US Army. At the time in 1960, it was honorable. But the liberals twist everything around to favor their agenda. And that is the sixties culture. Bob Dylan is liberal as they get and he does not hold it against Elvis. Because Elvis never spoke his opinions, does not mean people can try to criticize him on ridculious things he probably never even thought about. It is stupid. On The Beatles Anthology, Ringo was confronted about what he thought about Elvis wanting them deported and Ringo was hurt about it. They simply twisted a private conversation Tom Jones had with Elvis and linked it to Richard Nixon. A cheap shot with no truth to it. They wanted to make Elvis look bad like he was actually jealous of The Beatles, which is false.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do people hate Asparagus ? (Jan '10) Nov 18 MrDinosaurGuy 24
News Paul McCarthy: Going Vegan Is The Best Way To G... Nov '17 Ken Fasano 1
News Beatles statues are tons of fun except for one ... Oct '17 Break Farts 5
new george martin interview he apologizes to p... (Feb '08) Sep '17 macca 20
Samples Aug '17 djhope 1
News Radio Faces Big Test In Pennsylvania That Will ... Aug '17 Hair Nation 2
Earliest/Rarest!! This is a DIFFICULT questio... Aug '17 merseymale 1
More from around the web