150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

Dec 6, 2008 | Posted by: KB50MJ | Full story: talk.livedaily.com

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Comments (Page 572)

Showing posts 11,421 - 11,440 of12,731
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Dolbyscat

Abbotsford, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Judged:

Victor Abreu wrote:
A 1974 poll done by Variety magazine stated that the name Elvis was more recognizable than any other two names in Western Culture. This is hardly a sign of a washed up performer.
Again I have to admit to being wrong...These facts are hard to deny...What was I thinkin'..?

PS... Did you know that the Jesus is known by at least 85% of the worlds population, but only 30% of the worlds population are Christians. Interesting Huh? I don't know that this is fact but when did facts ever matter here, if you keep on repeating the same crap, some of that crap will stick.
Dolbyscat

Abbotsford, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Judged:

Victor Abreu wrote:
In furthering my statements, I do not think . Don't you think ?
Obviously....and yes I do.
Dolbyscat

Abbotsford, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Judged:

Statistics and polls are great tools, ask the right question and you'll get the answer you want. Then just feed it to the unwashed masses and before you know it you're a Congressman or Senator. C'mon Vic, you know this shit, don't feed it to me.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Judged:

John Lennon was quoted in divulging that "The Beatles were bigger than Jesus !! To this day many of his followers believe his rhetoric !! Once again
Mr Dolbyscat, you have made a good point!!
Peace out !!

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Judged:

Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been listening to "West Coast" a lot since I purchaced it last week, Len. These are my favorite tracks off the CD:
"Love Or Confusion"
"Room Full Of Mirrors"
"Mr Bad Luck"
"May This Be Love"
"Are You Experienced"
"Tears Of Rage"
"Hear My Freedom"
"Hound Dog Blues"
"Burning Desire"
"In From The Storm"
"Bolero"
"Hey Baby" (new rising sun)
Even though you might have heard the titles before, some of the songs are completely different from the masters. You'll be amazed.
A lot of the songs are familiar to me, in a different format, so I'm looking forward to hearing this.
Dolbyscat

Abbotsford, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Victor Abreu wrote:
John Lennon was quoted in divulging that "The Beatles were bigger than Jesus !! To this day many of his followers believe his rhetoric !! Once again
Mr Dolbyscat, you have made a good point!!
Peace out !!
I believe the correct quote used the word "popular" not "bigger", also that short part of his interview gave a bad impression because it was out of context. The flavor shifts when it is read in whole. Having said that, there are many Americans to this day who would happily of crucified him. It was amazing the furor on this side of the pond, in Europe it was seen as a non event...Except by the Vatican of course.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

To Dolbyscat!! It was the same way on this side of the pond. Yet, things haven't changed much. I am a huge Beatle fan!! In fact at one time, I wrote a
small article on religious tolerance in the United States in the Miami Herald as a contributing editor. I made the mistake in advocating Lennon's religious belief's which were non existential. You cannot imagine the whiplash, furor and anger I received from an untold amount of readers. Hell Dolby, I even received threats. I am one of Agnostic beliefs. To quote Socrates in one of my favorite books (The Dialogues of Plato) "when it comes to God the only thing I know is that I know nothing". Yet many on the Christian right spew out hateful letters in response to my OPED article with indoctrinating material that made me aware that we
have not come far with religious tolerance in the United States. Oh well my friend, I figure on making this point to you. Peace out !1
Paul

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Lennon never meant to imply that the Beatles were more important or significant than Jesus-it was with some level of amazement and absurdity that he made the comment...but it was surely a lesson for him that off hand remarks misinterpreted can have huge consequences.
Lennon said after being told Elvis had died:
"Elvis died when he went into the army"
But Lennon truely was saddened at his death, as was Bob Dylan who actually went into a depression for a few months and eventually it turned him towards Jesus for a time-my wife had his religious albums from that period.
I actually liked his song from one of those called:
"You Gotta Serve Somebody"
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

To Paul: Are there any Christian or religious albums
by Bob Dylan? I am shocked. Great info Paul:
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Hey Paul, Would you know the titles on the albums?
I appreciated it !!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

I have read little on Dylan's religious beliefs. I know that he was born Robert Zimmerman of Jewish faith. Moreover that he became an atheist and later converted to Catholicism. I never thought that he recorded religious albums. Oh well, I learn something new everyday !! Peace Out !!
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
I will have to disagree on a few points, 1969 into mid 1973 Elvis was not considered washed up by anyone who really kept tabs on his career-every concert sold out, multi-million dollar offers for concerts in Japan, England, etc...still competitive in his single sales with contempory artists of that time period.
He was the 12 the largest record seller of the 1970s even though he died in 77.
As I pointed out Dave Marsh of Rolling Stone certainly did not find his career washed up in 1972 as he and Rolling Stone magazine were front and center at the famous Madison Square Garden press conference and were thrilled to be there.
After tickets sold out in a matter of hours for those New York Garden shows-more shows were added to make it a total of 4.
George Harrison attended one, so did Lennon and Dylan and a host of other celebrity fans.
He was not "cutting edge" for sure in 72, but washed up was also IMO not the case. If you look at videos taken of his 69-77 concerts there are as many 12-20 year olds as 30-50 year olds he was still attracting new fans each year.
Burning Love in 1972 was a huge smash hit, kept out of Billboards #1 spot by Chuck Berrys My Ding a Ling, a novelty song.
The MGM film "Elvis On Tour" documentary was filmed in 72 and it recouped its costs in the first week of its release.
In 72 Col Parker was receiving so many overseas offers (for serious money) that Parker came up with the idea of the Satellite show from Hawaii which was top rated and produced a #1 album.
But all that said after 1973 Elvis certainly was on a downhill slide that many saw as washed up.
His marriage had fallen apart, his prescription drug problem getting worse and his health suffereing.
But 72 was not a year of "washed up" by a fair analysis.
The whole notion that Elvis was ever washed up in the seventies is pure nonsense. He sold out Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe engagements and road tours from 1969-1977. Elvis won a grammy for his gospel album, "He Touched Me" (1972) and won for his performance of "How Great Thou Art" off of "Elvis Recorded Live In Memphis" (1974) The superior studio albums, "Good Times" "Promised Land" and "Today" did not get massive pop radio play but Elvis did do well on the country and easy listening charts. He did not kiss up to corporate rock radio. Even so, Elvis had 38 Gold and Platinum album releases from 1970-1980 alone. Some has been. No one else does that. I've counted them as they were listed in Joe Tunzi's excellent "Sessions III" book. I have the first concert of 1977 from Hollywood, Flordia 2-12-77. Great show. Elvis started his winter tour off with some strong shows. I was also eleven in 1977 and wish I had the chance to see Elvis live. You are very fortunate.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Victor Abreu wrote:
To Dolbyscat: How's it going? As always you made some good points,however I think Paul disputed the validity of your statements successfully.
Case in Point: By 1972 Elvis was still a hit on the charts. The single Separate Ways/Always on my Mind was receiving decent airplay. And of course, "Burning Love" had catapulted to the top of the charts, reaching number 1 on Cashbox Magazine and number 2 on Billboard. The Aloha special established Presley on a new dimension unreachable by any other entertainer within that time span. A 1974 poll done by Variety magazine stated that the name Elvis was more recognizable than any other two names in Western Culture. Mao Tse Tung being somewhat more widely known in the eastern part of the world. This is hardly a sign of a washed up performer. Moreover on February 12, 1977, I was fortunate to witness the Elvis phenomenon live when he played at the old Hollywood Sportarium. I was 11 at the time and accompanied by my mother and younger brother. The concert sold out within an hour. A week before the concert Elvis had the number 1 country song the single Moody Blue/ Pledging My Love. This was 1977 and Elvis was still the single biggest attraction in United States. Hardly a sign of a washed up performer !!
Opps...

The previous post was meant for you, Victor.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Paul wrote:
Lennon never meant to imply that the Beatles were more important or significant than Jesus-it was with some level of amazement and absurdity that he made the comment...but it was surely a lesson for him that off hand remarks misinterpreted can have huge consequences.
Lennon said after being told Elvis had died:
"Elvis died when he went into the army"
But Lennon truely was saddened at his death, as was Bob Dylan who actually went into a depression for a few months and eventually it turned him towards Jesus for a time-my wife had his religious albums from that period.
I actually liked his song from one of those called:
"You Gotta Serve Somebody"
John Lennon expected Elvis to stay the same but The Beatles were allowed to change? Elvis certainly became a better singer as he went on. I think the seventies stuff was great. Elvis showed that he could do a much wider range of styles. Bob Dylan understood Elvis. The criticism from Lennon was quite wrong since Elvis went in so many different directions. One would have to dig deeper to find them and apparently, John Lennon missed out.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of the songs are familiar to me, in a different format, so I'm looking forward to hearing this.
It is always fun to get a great CD that you enjoy listening to.

I wasn't always big on Jimi Hendrix but tastes change.

I like what they have been releasing on Hendrix in recent years.

I picked up "Jimi Hendrix: blues" years ago as a used CD and was amazed that someone actually got rid of it.

He holds up quite well today in my opinion.

I did not like the Woodstock live CD though.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

RICK wrote:
Don't get me wrong,Dolbyscat,I don't think Elvis should've won for EVERY release,but he DEFINITELY should have at least a COUPLE of grammys for his Rock and Pop music,and the elitest asshole Grammy committee,or NARAS,had a GOLDEN opportunity to do just that a couple of years ago when `YOUNG MAN WITH THE BIG BEAT',which featured his groundbreaking 1956 Rock and Roll music,was nominated for best historical album,and who did they give the Grammy to,Paul Mccartneys mediocre `BAND ON THE RUN',an album that in my opinion should not have won,because the Elvis release had had a million times more HISTORICAL impact,it was music thet altered the course of Pop music and opened the door for the likes of a Paul Mccartney and many others,but Mccartney's record company plans to do a commemorative release of `PIPES OF PEACE',another sure Grammy winner,ha ha,peace out.
Without criticizing Paul McCartney too much, I think the sixties culture is stuck on rewind. They just want to push their agenda to a new generation that follows whatever they say. I have "Band On The Run" and fail to hear what was so great about it. But because Paul McCartney was an ex Beatle, he gets praised. In reality, he is just old and obviously can not sing anymore. His latest, "My Valentine" was weak. Dreadful. But whatever. They will always kiss up to Paul McCartney while attacking Elvis with their bias nonsense.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Victor Abreu wrote:
In all earnest Rick, I assume and this is only an assumption that the 1960's counterculture crowd have never forgiven Presley for his 1972 meeting with President Nixon. Elvis Presley's political leanings and ideology were moderate to conservative. He was not a left wing radical or Zealot.He was later to raise more eyebrows when he met then governor of Alabama George Wallace who advocated a segregationist agenda. Of course, Presley was good friends with former governor of Georgia and President Jimmy Carter(a democrat). But it was his historical meeting with Nixon at the height of the Vietnam war that raised ire and anger with the radical elitists. If you can remember, it was Nixon who tried to have John Lennon deported. Moreover many musical pundits and historians have never forgiven Presley for the letter(now made public)which Presley wrote to Nixon denouncing Un-American activities along with communist sympathizers such as Jane Fonda and divulging a staunch anticommunist political rhetoric. Jann Wenner founder and editor of the left leaning Rolling Stone magazine, has publicly critique Presley for his meeting and association with Nixon. This is the reason, I believe that he put Presley at number 3 behind Bob Dylan and the Beatles in his list of the greatest entertainers of all time,(Rolling Stone List). Dylan? the Beatles? more influential and greater than Presley? His objectivity was shrouded and obscure by his left leaning political affiliation. I also personally think, this is one reason that his stature has not been favorable with the powers that be that govern the Recording Industry Association of America.
PEACE OUT RICK
Elvis went to the FBI building to ask for his narcotic badge first but wasn't successful. So, he went to Richard Nixon. The sixties culture fails to realize that Elvis had no political ambitions. He just wanted his badge. He would have asked for one from Jimmy Carter. Harmless. Elvis refused to give his opinions on Vietnam and if he would today refuse to be drafted. He said that he was just an entertainer and rather keep his views to himself.

In fact, he said that in 1972 while being interviewed by the press before doing his eight sold out MSG shows in New York. It was taped on camera. Yet, they hate Nixon so much that they somehow link Elvis to him. Elvis did not have anything to do with Nixon's policies or political ideas while in office.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

To Octopus: You have the Hollywood Sportatorium concert recorded? WOW !! That is truly awesome. To reiterate, I remember the concert in detail and in its entirety. In order to get tickets, my mother had my cousin who was 21 at the time, camp out for three straight days at the old Orange Bowl, where Don Shula's Dolphins used to play. We got great seats at the balcony. His voice and persona were exhilarating. When he sang "HURT" and "UNCHAINED MELODY" his voice reverberated throughout the auditorium in a way I have never before experienced. I have attended over 100 concerts. I have seen everyone from Springsteen to Sinatra to Michael Jackson. Elvis Presley in concert was truly a unique and indescribable experience. It was a short concert. It ran about 55 minutes. But what charisma and talent !! I have never witnessed anything quite like that again.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Victor Abreu wrote:
To Octopus: You have the Hollywood Sportatorium concert recorded? WOW !! That is truly awesome. To reiterate, I remember the concert in detail and in its entirety. In order to get tickets, my mother had my cousin who was 21 at the time, camp out for three straight days at the old Orange Bowl, where Don Shula's Dolphins used to play. We got great seats at the balcony. His voice and persona were exhilarating. When he sang "HURT" and "UNCHAINED MELODY" his voice reverberated throughout the auditorium in a way I have never before experienced. I have attended over 100 concerts. I have seen everyone from Springsteen to Sinatra to Michael Jackson. Elvis Presley in concert was truly a unique and indescribable experience. It was a short concert. It ran about 55 minutes. But what charisma and talent !! I have never witnessed anything quite like that again.
My friend from NY City gave me that Hollywood, Flordia concert on CD quite a few years back. It took place on a Saturday night and Elvis wore his famous Indian feather suit at the sportatorium. Elvis actually stayed on stage for almost 70 minutes. It was a fine show and I wish I could've went. Elvis was in top vocal form that night and the performance on this audience recording is of high standard. Elvis was incredible. I was in Flordia on vacation in the area at that time with my father. A lost opportunity that was unfortunate but at least, I can hear the shows on bootlegs.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

To Octopus: I believe you have a goldmine in that very valuable CD. I am still in possession of the ticket stubs, which were $10.00 a piece. You are absolutely correct Elvis was in incredible vocal form that night. Physically he was overweight, but looked in fine form that night. In fact, Carl Hiassen a Miami Herald beat reporter at the time wrote the front page review," The Pelvis shakes,14,700 Swoon". A week before the concert my mother who worked in a Burdines Federated store received an offer from a co-worker female Presley fan offering to buy our three tickets for a thousand dollars. A lot of money back then. My mother contemplated the offer, but after looking at my pained facial expression, she declined the offer. I am so glad she did. 6 months later
we all wept as the king was laid to rest. Anyway, thanks for the memories my friend. Peace Out

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 11,421 - 11,440 of12,731
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Beatles Discussions

Search the The Beatles Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The year after the Beatles met E 2 hr Beedle Bug 111
Why do people hate Yoko Ono? (Sep '09) Wed BeedleBug 281
Ringo turns 74 Jul 7 Greg 1
john lennon glasses Jul 6 skamilla 1
3 vip tickets for ringo starr july 13 san jose Jul 1 StarkeyTix 2
Rain: A Tribute to the Beatles Jun 19 BeatleFan56 1
Ask Billboard: Michael Jackson, 'Back' To The... Jun 11 Country Boy 2
•••
•••