150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12869 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12416 Sep 1, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me know when you've had a chance to listen to them. Your information has proven immensely helpful; I'm very appreciative.
I was going to listen to Hendrix on my headphones last night but my new Elvis soundboard came in the mail so I listened to that instead. What was interesting about that previously unreleased concert was the famous review by Bob Claypool, which was mostly negative of this 8-28-76 matinee show. But as an Elvis fan of long standing, I was surprised to hear that it is not really that bad. It is a straight 1976 set list with Elvis going through the motions. Certainly was not his best or his worst. It wouldn't be a bootleg I'd recommend to you but for die hard Elvis fans that have read the criticism of that afternoon.

I've had the chance to read the Hendrix "West Coast Seattle Boy" liner notes and it is compiled of all previously unreleased studio takes or songs, just like "People, Hell And Angels" It is the single disc edition. I will let you know what I think of the CD soon. Sounds exciting with many unheard Hendrix tracks!
DENNIS HAUSER

Peoria, IL

#12417 Sep 2, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Just so you would know Rick: I belong to different Elvis chapters and Fan clubs in South Florida. Two of the biggest fan clubs are named the Eternally Elvis and the TCB fan club. We have a combined total of 7,550 members. Many of these members are doctors, engineers and corporate executives. In other words, professionals who like myself are avid Elvis fans. I am an attorney who believes that justice has not been served in correlation to the discrepancies pertaining to Presley's record sales tabulations. I can only divulge to you, that many of these members are very upset and inhospitable toward the RIAA's lack of veracity in record sales accountability.
Many of these members have been filing complaints and have succeed in removing omissions from Presley's record sales tally. I like to believe that their efforts have not gone in vain.
Case in point: It was only few years ago that Presley started to get his just due from The Recording Industry Association of America.
In the 1990's, just about everyone was ahead of Presley in records sales according to the RIAA.
This was preposterous, but true. Now due to the valiant effort by Presley fans, Elvis has eclipsed
everyone but the Beatles according to the RIAA tally. Even though he leads the Beatles in total certifications by a landslide, for he has 257 awards to the Beatles 148, he still is erroneously
placed at the number 2 spot. I am glad to know that this will soon change. These new independent figures coupled with the modifications in computation methods by the RIAA will finally forever establish Elvis Presley as the greatest record seller of all time without doubt or hesitation. Even the ignorant will finally see the light. As time allows me to I will keep you informed about the latest happenings. Peace to you.
Great news Vic! My feelings exactely!!

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#12418 Sep 2, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I was going to listen to Hendrix on my headphones last night but my new Elvis soundboard came in the mail so I listened to that instead. What was interesting about that previously unreleased concert was the famous review by Bob Claypool, which was mostly negative of this 8-28-76 matinee show. But as an Elvis fan of long standing, I was surprised to hear that it is not really that bad. It is a straight 1976 set list with Elvis going through the motions. Certainly was not his best or his worst. It wouldn't be a bootleg I'd recommend to you but for die hard Elvis fans that have read the criticism of that afternoon.
I've had the chance to read the Hendrix "West Coast Seattle Boy" liner notes and it is compiled of all previously unreleased studio takes or songs, just like "People, Hell And Angels" It is the single disc edition. I will let you know what I think of the CD soon. Sounds exciting with many unheard Hendrix tracks!
Thank you, for the info. I won't get the Elvis bootleg, from that concert. But I'll wait to hear from you, about the Hendrix CD.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12420 Sep 2, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, for the info. I won't get the Elvis bootleg, from that concert. But I'll wait to hear from you, about the Hendrix CD.
The "West Coast Seattle Boy Hendrix" CD is very good and has some really interesting stuff on it but it is not as strong as "Angels, People And Hell" Highlights include Dylan's "Tears Of Rage" and an incredible version of "Hound Dog" done in the studio retitled, "Hound Dog Blues" There is only one really poor previously unreleased song called, "Lonely Ave" which I did not care for but overall, it is a great CD. The songs just don't flow together as a whole piece like "Angels" but if you like Hendrix, the CD is a must. It has a lot of unheard versions and intrumental guitar jams that will continue to amaze. I recommend it highly with the understanding that it was never approved for release by Hendrix. Still, the best of what is on the CD is fascinating. I hope that helps if you decide to purchace it for your collection.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#12423 Sep 3, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
The "West Coast Seattle Boy Hendrix" CD is very good and has some really interesting stuff on it but it is not as strong as "Angels, People And Hell" Highlights include Dylan's "Tears Of Rage" and an incredible version of "Hound Dog" done in the studio retitled, "Hound Dog Blues" There is only one really poor previously unreleased song called, "Lonely Ave" which I did not care for but overall, it is a great CD. The songs just don't flow together as a whole piece like "Angels" but if you like Hendrix, the CD is a must. It has a lot of unheard versions and intrumental guitar jams that will continue to amaze. I recommend it highly with the understanding that it was never approved for release by Hendrix. Still, the best of what is on the CD is fascinating. I hope that helps if you decide to purchace it for your collection.
Thank you for the info, Octo. I'll go ahead and buy it. But "Angels, People and Hell" was so good, I'm concerned the difference may be very apparent. However, I'd like to hear his rendition of "Hound Dog."
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12424 Sep 3, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the info, Octo. I'll go ahead and buy it. But "Angels, People and Hell" was so good, I'm concerned the difference may be very apparent. However, I'd like to hear his rendition of "Hound Dog."
"West Coast" is just different than "Angels" and Hendrix is working in more than one studio. Except for "Lonely Ave" which is horrible like Hendrix trying for a very loud James Bond movie track that wasn't mixed properly, the CD is still worth getting. You can certainly hear that all the songs have a different degree of sound quality as you listen to it from beginning to end but the highlights are brilliant. I like it very much and can not really complain about one dud out of fifteen tracks, especially when most artists today have one or two decent songs per CD. Hendrix's singing is closer to what we are used to on this one but it is great because there is a lot of unknown versions and unreleased studio stuff. Wait until you hear it. Some of the guitar solos sound like they were done in a much later decade. Stunning, Len.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12425 Sep 4, 2013
Well,Victor,I'm impressed that you belong to some of the most imporant Elvis fan clubs in the country and that you're a professional man and the members of some of the clubs you belong to are doctors and lawyers[like yourself],Of course,this goes against the 60's couterculture infuenced media's stereotype of Elvis fans as white trash who only live in trailer parks.Elvis sold more than 600 million records in the U.S alone in all formats,and an artist doesn't achieve a great and unmatched feat as that without appealing to people in ALL walks of life from ALL parts of the country,from a doctor in L.A,an accountant in Chicago,to a factory worker in Mobile,Alabama,Elvis appealed to everyone,peace out.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12426 Sep 4, 2013
To Rick: You are absolutely correct!! Elvis Presley fans come from all walks of life. To quote Leonard Bernstein; "Elvis Presley is the greatest cultural
force in the twentieth century. He introduced the beat to everything. Music,language,clothes. Its a whole new social revolution that he started".
Moreover check the quote from Mick Farren. He stated that "Without Elvis Presley history would certainly have been different. Jagger might have become an estate agent, Dylan a rabbi,Lennon a brick layer or Johnny Rotten a judge". He probably was one of the tiny handful of human beings who actually affected the course of human affairs. He is the single biggest agent of social change in the history of popular culture. The 60's counterculture
has always tried to dissipate his importance, yet Presley's stature and cultural significance never wavers, as newer generations of music fans discover his unequal talent and musical artistry. Elvis will always be recognized by mainstream society for the contributions he made to the fabric of our society and culture. Elvis is, apart from being the most successful and greatest recording artist of all time, one of the most influential human beings in the history of humanity. As always, You have made some excellent points. Peace to you Rick!!
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12427 Sep 4, 2013
Oh by the way, Rick, Dennis, and Octopus : I have just purchase the complete Elvis Presley Masters.
30 Compact discs comprised with 711 master recordings. This incredible amount of recorded work comes with a 240 page book filled with historical discography and record sales data. Upon viewing Presley's global sales archives in different countries, you conclude with the obvious question?
How can any other artist come close within a semblance to the popularity of this musical phenomenon? Oh well, let me enjoy the music. Have a great day gentlemen.
FYI

Ennis, TX

#12429 Sep 5, 2013
Just read where producers are doing an on line casting call for someone to play a young Elvis in a new movie based on the book Last Train to Memphis.Hope they get it right.It would be nice to see a well made bio about Elvis on the big screen.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12431 Sep 5, 2013
How are you doing King Elvis? I believe my sources have always been legitimate. Most importantly, I have never mentioned the IFPI, but the (RIAA), as in the Recording Industry Association of America. By the way what do the words dipwad or Floonie mean?
Most interestingly are you a real King? Past written threads have revealed that you are not a real King, but a queen in disguise. Oh well, never the less I should also try to keep you informed on the latest happenings. Have a great day, your majesty!!

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#12434 Sep 5, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
How are you doing King Elvis? I believe my sources have always been legitimate. Most importantly, I have never mentioned the IFPI, but the (RIAA), as in the Recording Industry Association of America. By the way what do the words dipwad or Floonie mean?
Most interestingly are you a real King? Past written threads have revealed that you are not a real King, but a queen in disguise. Oh well, never the less I should also try to keep you informed on the latest happenings. Have a great day, your majesty!!
Victor, please ignore any posts by "King Elvis"; in fact, ignore all other posts from Australia here on this forum except mine.

He is a troll named Philip Lean, who is using my old unregistered name of King Elvis, along with his other troll names Radio Waves, Justin Harrison and dozens of others.

As you will see, if you're back here in a few hours, Topix will have deleted all of his comments - they are well aware of this troll who keeps posting, despite every one of his comments being deleted.

Every other poster here is aware of this idiot, hence they don't bother responding any more.

So, please keep your chart info coming and just ignore the insignificant little bastard.

(And now, sit back and watch as the troll Radio Waves responds again with "Well done Carol", and laugh as Topix takes care of his shit).

Thanks,

King Elvis (the ORIGINAL and best).
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12435 Sep 5, 2013
Thanks for your thread "Observer rules" and original King Elvis!! I somehow knew this post and thread could not have been you. You are extremely educated with a deep profound intellect and knowledge concerning the issues and subjects posted in these threads. Once again, thank you for your time, concern and professional courtesy.
You definitely are the one and only original King Elvis !!

Respectfully Submitted By
Victor Abreu
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12436 Sep 5, 2013
The other day I checked out the grammy website and it had a review of the `new' Elvis release `ELVIS AT STAX',and the review said that the release ranked with `Presley's best work'.GEE,THAT'S STRANGE FOR THEM TO SAY,SINCE THEY'VE NEVER AWARDED A SINGLE GRAMMY TO ELVIS FOR ANY OF HIS ROCK OR POP RECORDINGS,ONLY GOSPEL.Message to the NARAS,HIS GOSPEL MUSIC WAS NOT HIS BEST MUSIC,YOU STUPID BUNCH OF ELITEST HYPOCRITES,WHAT NERVE ON THE PART OF THESE BUTTHOLES.They have no right to `critique'any of his Rock or Pop records until they award him a LONG OVERDUE grammy for them,keep that in mind,you idiots,peace out.
Dolbyscat

Abbotsford, Canada

#12437 Sep 5, 2013
RICK wrote:
The other day I checked out the grammy website and it had a review of the `new' Elvis release `ELVIS AT STAX',and the review said that the release ranked with `Presley's best work'.GEE,THAT'S STRANGE FOR THEM TO SAY,SINCE THEY'VE NEVER AWARDED A SINGLE GRAMMY TO ELVIS FOR ANY OF HIS ROCK OR POP RECORDINGS,ONLY GOSPEL.Message to the NARAS,HIS GOSPEL MUSIC WAS NOT HIS BEST MUSIC,YOU STUPID BUNCH OF ELITEST HYPOCRITES,WHAT NERVE ON THE PART OF THESE BUTTHOLES.They have no right to `critique'any of his Rock or Pop records until they award him a LONG OVERDUE grammy for them,keep that in mind,you idiots,peace out.
Your bias is showing, and your memory is a little selective, or maybe you don't like to mention the fact that Elvis had 14 nominations, along with his three wins. Not a bad record by any standard. Had the Grammy's been around during his debut years I feel sure his "haul" would have been bigger. The list of acts that have not won a grammy contains a lot of names that most people would assume to have won. Question...would you really feel happier if a bunch of "elitist hypocritical buttholes" gave an award to your hero, or are they only that because they didn't???? Suck it up big man...it ain't worth cryin' over.
Dolbyscat

Abbotsford, Canada

#12438 Sep 5, 2013
PS...In case you didn't know, the Grammy's are awarded by a panel of the artist's peers, take a look at just who has made up that panel over the years it's pretty impressive. The reason Elvis didn't get the reward you so vehemently felt he should have got obviously did not jive with the opinion of that panel. I myself find it strange that given his popularity he did not win for his "popular" music...but that panel are by no means "elitist hypocritical buttholes"...Some of them, actually quite a lot, are known fans of Elvis and quote him as an inspiration...Go figure huh!!
Dolbyscat

Abbotsford, Canada

#12439 Sep 5, 2013
Luv the way someone (i wonder who....NOT) judged my post as "flaming, clueless and mean", but didn't have either the balls, or intellect to explain why....lol.
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12440 Sep 5, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Oh by the way, Rick, Dennis, and Octopus : I have just purchase the complete Elvis Presley Masters.
30 Compact discs comprised with 711 master recordings. This incredible amount of recorded work comes with a 240 page book filled with historical discography and record sales data. Upon viewing Presley's global sales archives in different countries, you conclude with the obvious question?
How can any other artist come close within a semblance to the popularity of this musical phenomenon? Oh well, let me enjoy the music. Have a great day gentlemen.
I saw that black box for sale at the FTD store across the street from Graceland when I went to Memphis in May of 2012. It was behind a glass case. I did pick up a few choice FTD releases that I was missing while I was there though. I search for Elvis imports and audience recordings because I enjoy them more. Besides, I have all the original Elvis releases on CD and all the box sets that contain previously unreleased material. I actually have a book that contains all of Elvis's charted records but it needs to be updated. I had built up quite an Elvis collection over the years and people who come to visit are amazed that it is mostly all Elvis. Their jaws drop. I'm still finding new things to listen to and my next Elvis CD will be "Tanya For Dinner" from the March/april 1975 Las Vegas engagement. Looking forward to getting another show. I really do not care about sales as much as just getting more Elvis for my listening pleasure. It is a lot of fun.
Dolbyscat

Abbotsford, Canada

#12442 Sep 5, 2013
LOL.....
Octopus

Schenectady, NY

#12443 Sep 5, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been listening to "West Coast" a lot since I purchaced it last week, Len. These are my favorite tracks off the CD:

"Love Or Confusion"
"Room Full Of Mirrors"
"Mr Bad Luck"
"May This Be Love"
"Are You Experienced"
"Tears Of Rage"
"Hear My Freedom"
"Hound Dog Blues"
"Burning Desire"
"In From The Storm"
"Bolero"
"Hey Baby" (new rising sun)

Even though you might have heard the titles before, some of the songs are completely different from the masters. You'll be amazed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bob Marley, Wailers atop Billboard album chart Thu Octopus 1
Dont let me down Jul 28 feedy 5 star 1
News McCartney says he's given up pot now that he's ... Jul 14 FiendishThingy 3
For your eyes only Jul 3 Little monster 25
News Get over this wife-beating poseur Jun '15 Lawrence James co... 18
The Beatles 50th Anniversary (Feb '14) Jun '15 Greg 16
Why do people hate Yoko Ono? (Sep '09) Jun '15 Ralph 286
More from around the web