150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12898 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Bubba

Everett, WA

#11621 Jun 18, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Texas is a huge state. A friend of mine from way back lives there and says a lot of old eighties Heavy Metal bands can still find an audience in Texas. I imagine there are a lot of different musical styles around those parts. I wouldn't like the heat.
The pan handle [top part of Texas] is dry and very hot but real cold in the winter and hail softball sized. I hated it. I was born there but moved to New Mexico at age 5.No lakes close by and it was like Urban Cowboy when I moved back in 1980 and 1981 after about a year and a half I said screw this and moved back to Washington State.They do love their country music. George Straight and Dwight Yokum was played everywhere. I can't stand most cowboy music like Allan Jackson and that damn Randy Travis.It's depressing big time.
Octopus

Latham, NY

#11622 Jun 18, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>The pan handle [top part of Texas] is dry and very hot but real cold in the winter and hail softball sized. I hated it. I was born there but moved to New Mexico at age 5.No lakes close by and it was like Urban Cowboy when I moved back in 1980 and 1981 after about a year and a half I said screw this and moved back to Washington State.They do love their country music. George Straight and Dwight Yokum was played everywhere. I can't stand most cowboy music like Allan Jackson and that damn Randy Travis.It's depressing big time.
I like Southern rock like The Outlaws, Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, stuff like that. Country music is not completely bad or completely good. It really depends on the artist. Jerry Lee Lewis could do kick ass country. But the modern stuff all sounds the same. Like every type of music has its share of hacks. You can do almost anything with Rock N Roll anyway. I like when they mix it up, add blues and country. But it has to be done properly. George Straight and Randy Travis try to keep it traditional whereas, Dwight Yokum had a little hillbilly twang to his best music. I usually like upbeat but it depends on the artist. George Jones was very good at doing country and so was Hank Williams Sr. It doesn't mean that I happen to like all of it, like my brother in law. I have what I enjoy. The Kentucky Headhunters were like a hippie country/rock band. They covered the old hit, "Spirit In The Sky"
Bubba

Everett, WA

#11623 Jun 18, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I like Southern rock like The Outlaws, Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, stuff like that. Country music is not completely bad or completely good. It really depends on the artist. Jerry Lee Lewis could do kick ass country. But the modern stuff all sounds the same. Like every type of music has its share of hacks. You can do almost anything with Rock N Roll anyway. I like when they mix it up, add blues and country. But it has to be done properly. George Straight and Randy Travis try to keep it traditional whereas, Dwight Yokum had a little hillbilly twang to his best music. I usually like upbeat but it depends on the artist. George Jones was very good at doing country and so was Hank Williams Sr. It doesn't mean that I happen to like all of it, like my brother in law. I have what I enjoy. The Kentucky Headhunters were like a hippie country/rock band. They covered the old hit, "Spirit In The Sky"
I kind of liked the Kentucky HeadHunters.Sawyer Brown was ok but I hate the new stuff like Blake Shelton or Brad Paisley. Marty Robbins was cool and some of Merle Haggard's songs were sort of cool like Johnny Cash. I like to hear John Fogerty sing some of the country songs.Even Elvis did a few country songs but added his own style.
Octopus

Latham, NY

#11624 Jun 18, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>I kind of liked the Kentucky HeadHunters.Sawyer Brown was ok but I hate the new stuff like Blake Shelton or Brad Paisley. Marty Robbins was cool and some of Merle Haggard's songs were sort of cool like Johnny Cash. I like to hear John Fogerty sing some of the country songs.Even Elvis did a few country songs but added his own style.
I was exposed to country by Elvis as a child but it wasn't my intent because Elvis was rock n roll to me. He just did so many styles. I tend to like the old stuff since Elvis did some select songs by various artists. My friends used to make fun of Willie Nelson for example, but he is a cool old guy. I like all kinds. It certainly doesn't all have to be just rock n roll, you know. I can spot a fake meathead artist right away. The "new" country guys are just jumping on the country bandwagon because it is more popular than rock right now.
Bubba

Everett, WA

#11625 Jun 18, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I was exposed to country by Elvis as a child but it wasn't my intent because Elvis was rock n roll to me. He just did so many styles. I tend to like the old stuff since Elvis did some select songs by various artists. My friends used to make fun of Willie Nelson for example, but he is a cool old guy. I like all kinds. It certainly doesn't all have to be just rock n roll, you know. I can spot a fake meathead artist right away. The "new" country guys are just jumping on the country bandwagon because it is more popular than rock right now.
I heard that Ozzy Osborn has a new album or song in the top 40 now. I was never into Black Sabbath but it does beat twangy country. There hasn't been a super group in a real long time .I miss the 60's super groups like Cream or even Grand Funk.
Octopus

Latham, NY

#11626 Jun 18, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>I heard that Ozzy Osborn has a new album or song in the top 40 now. I was never into Black Sabbath but it does beat twangy country. There hasn't been a super group in a real long time .I miss the 60's super groups like Cream or even Grand Funk.
Actually, it is Ozzy back with Black Sabbath with a brand new studio album called "13" which had just recently topped the UK album charts for them for the first time in almost forty-three years. Congrats, Ozzy and gang. Nice.
Octopus

Latham, NY

#11627 Jun 18, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>I heard that Ozzy Osborn has a new album or song in the top 40 now. I was never into Black Sabbath but it does beat twangy country. There hasn't been a super group in a real long time .I miss the 60's super groups like Cream or even Grand Funk.
Black Sabbath is a great band, Bubba. But then again, I grew up listening to Sabbath and Ozzy, so my opinion of them is more positive than yours is.
Bubba

Everett, WA

#11628 Jun 18, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Black Sabbath is a great band, Bubba. But then again, I grew up listening to Sabbath and Ozzy, so my opinion of them is more positive than yours is.
Yeah I guess I'm an old fart compared to you Octo. I like a few of Ozzy's songs like Ruuning off the rail on a crazy train. But I never liked Iron Man.I liked the duet he sang Called momma I'm coming home. He did a Beatle song about 7 years ago on an album I think it was In My life but I'm not sure.
Octopus

Latham, NY

#11629 Jun 18, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah I guess I'm an old fart compared to you Octo. I like a few of Ozzy's songs like Ruuning off the rail on a crazy train. But I never liked Iron Man.I liked the duet he sang Called momma I'm coming home. He did a Beatle song about 7 years ago on an album I think it was In My life but I'm not sure.
I think you are thinking of the duet Ozzy did with Lita Ford called, "Close My Eyes Forever" Ozzy kind of lost it somewhat in his more recent solo career. Black Sabbath had softer songs also, Bubba. You would have to hear things like "Changes" and "Fluff" Ozzy has always done his share of ballads. He is a self proclaimed Beatles fan. I don't like his "In My Life" cover though. I am happy for him and the band with their latest success. I will probably wait a couple months until I get the new CD. It should be available at Walmart real cheap by then.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#11631 Jun 19, 2013
Well,Octo,I really loved Elvis's home version of the song`Suppose',it sounded so much better than the studio version which I believe was a `bonus' song from the `Speedway'soundtrack album originally,I didn't buy too many of the later soundtrack albums.The other day I was at a Walgreens and at the magazine rack there was a National Enquirer magazine of Frank Sinatra,and in the magazine it says Elvis and Sinatra were seeing dancer[and Elvis `G.I Blues co-star]Juliet Prowse,and when Sinatra found this out,he visited Elvis in his dressing room with two Italian goons and told him to lay off Juliet or else,I don't think this is true,but then again,that does sound like something Sinatra might pull,peace out.
Octopus

Latham, NY

#11632 Jun 19, 2013
RICK wrote:
Well,Octo,I really loved Elvis's home version of the song`Suppose',it sounded so much better than the studio version which I believe was a `bonus' song from the `Speedway'soundtrack album originally,I didn't buy too many of the later soundtrack albums.The other day I was at a Walgreens and at the magazine rack there was a National Enquirer magazine of Frank Sinatra,and in the magazine it says Elvis and Sinatra were seeing dancer[and Elvis `G.I Blues co-star]Juliet Prowse,and when Sinatra found this out,he visited Elvis in his dressing room with two Italian goons and told him to lay off Juliet or else,I don't think this is true,but then again,that does sound like something Sinatra might pull,peace out.
"Speedway" was a fairly entertaining film with very weak material on it and was never a favorite Elvis album. A couple worthwhile tracks like the excellent, "Let Yourself Go" but the music on that LP was mostly horrible. I just never cared for "Suppose" because of the lyrics did not quite make sense. It was a bad song all the way around and Elvis couldn't do anything with it to improve it. I've heard of that Juliet Prowse story of Frank Sinatra threatening Elvis but I do not think Elvis cared. Juliet Prowse was just Elvis's co star in "GI Blues" with a jealous Sinatra showing off his power. Besides, Elvis had met Nancy Sinatra when he was just discharged from the US Army and never did anything with her. Obviously, Sinatra was stroking his manly ego as he was probably love struck by Prowse. She did have a nice body and long legs. Why would Elvis want to fight over a woman he wasn't even in love with? It is obvious though that Juliet was crazy for Elvis & ole blue eyes must have sensed it.
Bubba

Everett, WA

#11633 Jun 19, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
"Speedway" was a fairly entertaining film with very weak material on it and was never a favorite Elvis album. A couple worthwhile tracks like the excellent, "Let Yourself Go" but the music on that LP was mostly horrible. I just never cared for "Suppose" because of the lyrics did not quite make sense. It was a bad song all the way around and Elvis couldn't do anything with it to improve it. I've heard of that Juliet Prowse story of Frank Sinatra threatening Elvis but I do not think Elvis cared. Juliet Prowse was just Elvis's co star in "GI Blues" with a jealous Sinatra showing off his power. Besides, Elvis had met Nancy Sinatra when he was just discharged from the US Army and never did anything with her. Obviously, Sinatra was stroking his manly ego as he was probably love struck by Prowse. She did have a nice body and long legs. Why would Elvis want to fight over a woman he wasn't even in love with? It is obvious though that Juliet was crazy for Elvis & ole blue eyes must have sensed it.
I don't think Elvis would fight Mafia connected Frank over a co-star when he had so many women crazy about him.Elvis had his share of beautiful women. Prowse probably dated Sinatra but he felt in power over her. I don't know much about Sinatra and I don't care for his style of singing. Nancy was hot about 30 years ago.
Octopus

Latham, NY

#11634 Jun 19, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think Elvis would fight Mafia connected Frank over a co-star when he had so many women crazy about him.Elvis had his share of beautiful women. Prowse probably dated Sinatra but he felt in power over her. I don't know much about Sinatra and I don't care for his style of singing. Nancy was hot about 30 years ago.
Well, Juliet Prowse wasn't with Fank Sinatra very long if he was dating her in 1960. All Prowse did was take a job to be in Hollywood to be in an Elvis movie. If Sinatra thought threatening Elvis with his mobster friends was going to impress her, he was obviously mistaken. Juliet Prowse would later attend Elvis's comeback shows in Las Vegas. Frank Sinatra was long gone and was out of her life by then. Nancy was hot but she is not anymore...
Bubba

Everett, WA

#11635 Jun 19, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Juliet Prowse wasn't with Fank Sinatra very long if he was dating her in 1960. All Prowse did was take a job to be in Hollywood to be in an Elvis movie. If Sinatra thought threatening Elvis with his mobster friends was going to impress her, he was obviously mistaken. Juliet Prowse would later attend Elvis's comeback shows in Las Vegas. Frank Sinatra was long gone and was out of her life by then. Nancy was hot but she is not anymore...
Yeah her and her boots got old and worn out. These boots are made for putting in the closet.
Octopus

Latham, NY

#11636 Jun 19, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah her and her boots got old and worn out. These boots are made for putting in the closet.
Nancy Sinatra was cute when she was younger. She even posed nude for Playboy in the early 90's when she still had it. I was shocked by how old she looks today. "These Boots Are Made For Walking" is certainly a sixties cult classic. She was funny as Susan Jacks, an IRS agent after Elvis in "Speedway" Race car legend, Richard Petty appeared in the film also. Too bad most of the songs did not work.
Bubba

Everett, WA

#11637 Jun 19, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
Nancy Sinatra was cute when she was younger. She even posed nude for Playboy in the early 90's when she still had it. I was shocked by how old she looks today. "These Boots Are Made For Walking" is certainly a sixties cult classic. She was funny as Susan Jacks, an IRS agent after Elvis in "Speedway" Race car legend, Richard Petty appeared in the film also. Too bad most of the songs did not work.
I used to have that Playboy with her in it. She looked good but she was also air brushed and made to look extra good by the playboy photographer.She was never big as an actress or a singer but in the 60's most everybody knew who she was. Lee Hazlewood wrote her songs and being Frank Sinatras daughter helped her a lot.I have tried to listen to Nickleback and Cold Play but it's just not my cup of tea. None of the newer groups do much for me.
Octopus

Latham, NY

#11638 Jun 19, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>I used to have that Playboy with her in it. She looked good but she was also air brushed and made to look extra good by the playboy photographer.She was never big as an actress or a singer but in the 60's most everybody knew who she was. Lee Hazlewood wrote her songs and being Frank Sinatras daughter helped her a lot.I have tried to listen to Nickleback and Cold Play but it's just not my cup of tea. None of the newer groups do much for me.
I figured the Nancy Sinatra Playboy was airbrushed but she was still hot looking at fifty years old. I don't have the issue but someone had it at work at the time. Hot damn! I think Frank was still alive, I'm not certain. If you watch "Speedway" her character, Susan Jacks did everything she could to be as cold as ice to Elvis but you could tell there was a chemistry between the two that was obvious on screen. It makes the film worth watching because it was funny. I know that she was never a great pop singer and was only around because she happened to be Sinatra's daughter but she had the perfect mid sixties swinging look. Real sexy. I can't say I blame Elvis if he slept with Nancy briefly. I think that she wanted Elvis even if it was just a little fling. I'm only guessing, mind you. But I could tell Nancy was crazy for Elvis.
Bubba

Everett, WA

#11639 Jun 19, 2013
Octopus wrote:
<quoted text>
I figured the Nancy Sinatra Playboy was airbrushed but she was still hot looking at fifty years old. I don't have the issue but someone had it at work at the time. Hot damn! I think Frank was still alive, I'm not certain. If you watch "Speedway" her character, Susan Jacks did everything she could to be as cold as ice to Elvis but you could tell there was a chemistry between the two that was obvious on screen. It makes the film worth watching because it was funny. I know that she was never a great pop singer and was only around because she happened to be Sinatra's daughter but she had the perfect mid sixties swinging look. Real sexy. I can't say I blame Elvis if he slept with Nancy briefly. I think that she wanted Elvis even if it was just a little fling. I'm only guessing, mind you. But I could tell Nancy was crazy for Elvis.
Oh yeah what woman wasn't crazy about Elvis. My Mom thought he was the most handsome man in the world. My Mom was cool She liked Elvis- Fats Domino and Jerry Lee Lewis too. Even little Richard because he pounded the hell out of the piano.when I was 10 she bought a cheap electric guitar for the kids so at least one of us could learn how to play it. It turned out to be me between me and my three other brothers.
Octopus

Latham, NY

#11640 Jun 19, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yeah what woman wasn't crazy about Elvis. My Mom thought he was the most handsome man in the world. My Mom was cool She liked Elvis- Fats Domino and Jerry Lee Lewis too. Even little Richard because he pounded the hell out of the piano.when I was 10 she bought a cheap electric guitar for the kids so at least one of us could learn how to play it. It turned out to be me between me and my three other brothers.
To me, Elvis was music. I didn't care what he looked like. That is why I think it is so unfair when people picked on him over his weight. Of course, Elvis was just mega cool with a great personality but not all women find him attractive. Like Jim Morrison after him, Elvis's looks became too much of a focus. An artist wants to be known for music. That is why you see a lot of ugly rock and pop stars. My niece is taking guitar lessons. I really never had the talent to play an instrument or sing but wish I could've because great music makes me happy. I just collect rare rock n roll and listen to it as a fan. It was cool that your mom bought you an electric guitar when you were ten, Bubba. My niece has been learning to play since she asked for a guitar last Christmas. My other niece has no interest in it at all. Everybody is different...
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#11642 Jun 20, 2013
Right on about the Elvis/Sinatra/Juliet Prowse episode,Octo and Bubba,Elvis had many beautiful women who were crazy about him,and attracted them with effortless ease,unlike The Chairman of the bored,who did not posess the looks,charm and charisma OR TALENT of one Elvis Aaron Presley,and I think without a doubt that Sinatra was jealous of Elvis on multiple levels,but you know what,HE HAD GOOD REASON TO BE,ELVIS WAS BETTER AND FAR MORE BELOVED THAN SINATRA WILL EVER BE,peace out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Beatles Are Overrated (Jul '09) Apr 29 Greg 1,074
News You can't always get what you want, but maybe a... Apr 27 Amused Octopus 1
News Beatles Albums, Ranked Worst to Best (Jun '15) Apr 25 JJJ 2
News Paul McCartney's concert 'the heaviest show on ... Apr 24 King Prince 4
News Rihanna Rules Hot 100, Desiigner's 'Panda' Push... Apr 21 Anyplace Is Paradise 1
News Paul McCartney in Portland: As good as it gets Apr 20 Octo Is A Woodpecker 2
News Singer Nellie McKay to jazz it up at Allentown'... Apr 14 Lucy Ann 1
More from around the web