150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12898 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Frank

Brisbane, Australia

#11310 May 14, 2013
Radio Waves wrote:
<quoted text>
Well done, Carol.
get that up you, "king" elvis !!!!!
Paul

Grand Rapids, MI

#11313 May 14, 2013
Dark_Island wrote:
Did anyone see the nice quote under KB50MJ's profile. He feels himself to be quite omnipotent, it seems:
"I feel MJ News should be given to the public with accurate and honest, editing. And I'm the Man."
I <heart> the comma between "honest" and "editing". How appropriate, huh?
Im not so sure about that anymore KB. Check out Ernst Jorgensons article about the total sales of Elvis records. I know, I know, you dont like Elvis as much as somebody else, so you're not interested, but if you would, read his aricle and tell me why it cant be true. Im not so sure that he didnt sell a billion records anymore. His article dont souond like crap to me.
Lee

Carpinteria, CA

#11314 May 14, 2013
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Im not so sure about that anymore KB. Check out Ernst Jorgensons article about the total sales of Elvis records. I know, I know, you dont like Elvis as much as somebody else, so you're not interested, but if you would, read his aricle and tell me why it cant be true. Im not so sure that he didnt sell a billion records anymore. His article dont souond like crap to me.
Paul, when are you going to tell me where you found the "autobiography of Nancy Sinatra" where she said she was fooling around with Elvis while he was married?

There is no such book.
jed

Seattle, WA

#11315 May 14, 2013
Lee wrote:
<quoted text>Paul, when are you going to tell me where you found the "autobiography of Nancy Sinatra" where she said she was fooling around with Elvis while he was married?
There is no such book.
Maybe he meant Ann Margaret.
octo

Astoria, NY

#11316 May 14, 2013
jed wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe he meant Ann Margaret.
Elvis wasn't married when he was having his affair with co star Ann-Margret during the filming of "Viva Las Vegas" Anyway, it was obvious that Nancy Sinatra was crazy for Elvis but I don't think that Elvis fooled around with her because she was Frank Sinatra's daughter. Nancy gave Priscilla her baby shower before Lisa Marie was born. Women fooling around with another woman's husband do not do such things...
octo

Astoria, NY

#11317 May 14, 2013
RICK wrote:
Right on with your great insight on Elvis and being picked on by the media and being jealously resented by some[not all]black artists.Elvis's music was the best because it came from what many consider the golden era of Rock and Pop music,the mid fifties to the late seventies,and not coincidentally,those are the years that emcompassed the Presley career[1954-1977],it's really great that you're into the Elvis bootlegs,Octo,I saw on some website that an RCA stereo recording or bootleg exists FOR EVERY ONE OF HIS LIVE SHOWS FROM THE SEVENTIES,THAT'S 1,156 CONCERTS,WHEW,somewhat similar to The Grateful Dead,also,peace out.
I collect bootlegs from scores of different artists but Elvis happens to be the artist that I seek out first. I have a few imports from The Beatles as well. I don't think that all Elvis Presley fans collect the music, which is what I do. I'm not into Teddy Bears or collectible plates. I want to hear the music. After all, that is what Elvis was all about.
jed

Seattle, WA

#11318 May 14, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Elvis wasn't married when he was having his affair with co star Ann-Margret during the filming of "Viva Las Vegas" Anyway, it was obvious that Nancy Sinatra was crazy for Elvis but I don't think that Elvis fooled around with her because she was Frank Sinatra's daughter. Nancy gave Priscilla her baby shower before Lisa Marie was born. Women fooling around with another woman's husband do not do such things...
I thought he got married after he got out of the Army but you would know better than me because I don't know too much about the history of Elvis and what order his films were made. how many films did he make anyway? It was over a dozen wasn't it? I think in 1966 he came to Seattle and filmed at the world's fair but I'm not real sure.
octo

Astoria, NY

#11319 May 14, 2013
jed wrote:
<quoted text>I thought he got married after he got out of the Army but you would know better than me because I don't know too much about the history of Elvis and what order his films were made. how many films did he make anyway? It was over a dozen wasn't it? I think in 1966 he came to Seattle and filmed at the world's fair but I'm not real sure.
"It Happened At The World's Fair" was released in 1963 and was already his 12th film. Elvis also played live in Seattle a few times in the seventies as well. He even mentioned that he made a movie in Seattle on one of my boots. I would have thought everyone would know that Elvis married Priscilla on May 1st 1967. Elvis actually made 31 feature films plus two concert movies, the last one being, "Elvis On Tour" in 1972. I've never been to Washington state but I hear that it always rains there, much like New York. It's been cold the last couple nights and it is May. Actaully had to turn the heat back on. I was freezing my ass off. So much for global warming, huh?
jed

Seattle, WA

#11320 May 14, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
"It Happened At The World's Fair" was released in 1963 and was already his 12th film. Elvis also played live in Seattle a few times in the seventies as well. He even mentioned that he made a movie in Seattle on one of my boots. I would have thought everyone would know that Elvis married Priscilla on May 1st 1967. Elvis actually made 31 feature films plus two concert movies, the last one being, "Elvis On Tour" in 1972. I've never been to Washington state but I hear that it always rains there, much like New York. It's been cold the last couple nights and it is May. Actaully had to turn the heat back on. I was freezing my ass off. So much for global warming, huh?
Yep Octo it rains a lot but we have some sunny days in the summer. August and September are usually great months. I thought Elvis married earlier for some reason I didn't know it was 1967.May has been cold at night but last week we had a couple of days it got about 82 but didn't last long.Usually it gets about 77 maybe 79 except in August . This week has sucked and has rained and turned cold but not real cold .Eastern Washington has hotter weather like by Hanford and the tri-city area in the desert.
octo

Astoria, NY

#11321 May 15, 2013
jed wrote:
<quoted text>Yep Octo it rains a lot but we have some sunny days in the summer. August and September are usually great months. I thought Elvis married earlier for some reason I didn't know it was 1967.May has been cold at night but last week we had a couple of days it got about 82 but didn't last long.Usually it gets about 77 maybe 79 except in August . This week has sucked and has rained and turned cold but not real cold .Eastern Washington has hotter weather like by Hanford and the tri-city area in the desert.
Actually, you guys seem to have had warmer weather than we have so far...it has been in the upper 50's here as a daytime high. Very chilly for this time of year in the north east. I think we reached 70 degrees a few times. I've heard Seattle, Washington gets a lot of rain. I do hope it warms up where I am because I'm sick of the cold snaps. It has been a while since we've really had hot weather for enjoying the outdoors. My friend is giving away his backyard pool because it is not worth keeping it up if they never use it more than a couple times.
octo

Astoria, NY

#11323 May 15, 2013
jed wrote:
We've been having 60's during the day and low 50's at night. The only pool worth having would be an indoor heated pool. The middle of March I went to San Diego to get away from the cold wet weather. It was in the 70's during the day and sunny.This year the weather has been wierd especially on the East Coast. Many had snow in May even some of the Southern States have had Winter weather still.I'm not convinced of global warming even if the Glaciers may be melting.
I believe the earth does what it wants to do. It is billions of years old and the ice glaciers melting probably has nothing to do with the earth getting warmer. The Beatles recently topped a poll of the most positive music icons, Bubba. The Beach Boys made it to number two followed by Elvis. I thought it was cool.
octo

Astoria, NY

#11324 May 15, 2013
I was looking through my Elvis collection for concerts I've haven't played in awhile and had listened to a really good audience recording from Lake Tahoe 5-8-76 DS. Elvis did mix the set list around during that engagement and was doing long shows. I caught bits and pieces of what some members of the audience were saying and Elvis was very clear on the CD. Some woman yelled out to Elvis that she loved him and Elvis actually heard her. He said, "I love you too, honey" He even went as far as singing "Happy Birthday" to a fan. I did get a lot of great sounding stuff through the years. I certainly enjoy hearing a great sounding show and performance. Elvis's personality and how he connected to his fans is what makes him so special.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#11325 May 15, 2013
Right on,Octo,about Elvis's personality definitely playing a major role in the unprecedented way he connected with his audiences,and to further underscore this fact,I recently read an interview on an Elvis website with Oscar nominated actress and former dancer Terri Garr,and she stated during the course of the interview that the reason the fan's love of Elvis runs so deep is because he possessed what she called `the common touch',this innate ability to charm his audiences in a loving and disarming way,and to put them at ease at the same time,a talent that most entertainers do not possess,not even remotely.And sadly,Octo,read the the article under the heading`director remembers landmark Elvis Presley performance',it's a USA TODAY article interview with Marty Pasetta,on the 40th anniversary of the `ALOHA FROM HAWAII'tv special,which Pasetta directed.The article sounds more like a scathing indictment of Elvis than a celebration of the landmark show,with Pasetta himself sounding rather nasty towards Elvis.This kind of article only further underscores THE MEDIA'S HATRED OF THE KING,peace out.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#11326 May 15, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the earth does what it wants to do. It is billions of years old and the ice glaciers melting probably has nothing to do with the earth getting warmer. The Beatles recently topped a poll of the most positive music icons, Bubba. The Beach Boys made it to number two followed by Elvis. I thought it was cool.
I'm glad they didn't place Michael Jackson in the top three.
Elmer Jackson

Seattle, WA

#11327 May 15, 2013
RICK wrote:
Right on,Octo,about Elvis's personality definitely playing a major role in the unprecedented way he connected with his audiences,and to further underscore this fact,I recently read an interview on an Elvis website with Oscar nominated actress and former dancer Terri Garr,and she stated during the course of the interview that the reason the fan's love of Elvis runs so deep is because he possessed what she called `the common touch',this innate ability to charm his audiences in a loving and disarming way,and to put them at ease at the same time,a talent that most entertainers do not possess,not even remotely.And sadly,Octo,read the the article under the heading`director remembers landmark Elvis Presley performance',it's a USA TODAY article interview with Marty Pasetta,on the 40th anniversary of the `ALOHA FROM HAWAII'tv special,which Pasetta directed.The article sounds more like a scathing indictment of Elvis than a celebration of the landmark show,with Pasetta himself sounding rather nasty towards Elvis.This kind of article only further underscores THE MEDIA'S HATRED OF THE KING,peace out.
I tried to connect with my fans with the common touch but I staggered and so did they and we all fell down.I tried using my hobo charm that other drunks don't possess but no one noticed.Once when I was singing some bag lady yelled out she loved me so I sang Happy Birthday to her.The nasty media said I don't try hard enough but just ask any one of my fans and they will tell you Elmer Jackson is one of the best singing hobos since BoxCar Willie died. I was underscored but after a another bottle of whiskey It didn't matter no more.
octo

Astoria, NY

#11328 May 15, 2013
RICK wrote:
The anti-drug establishment in the media today seems to want to discredit Elvis's accomplishments simply because the man died. However, a band like The Beatles did drugs but survived therefore, are praised. Since Elvis never followed their hippy culture agenda within their ambitions, they believe that Elvis fans build Elvis Presley up and overlook his flaws. That really isn't true. Pasetta is trying to walk a fine line of not giving the the landmark television special, "Aloha From Hawaii" its true merit because obviously some would only complain. You can't take something that happened 40 years ago and try to cut it down to size because some are still unable to figure out that Elvis fans accept that Elvis wasn't perfect. He was still a great artist nevertheless. It happens to be Elvis, not the drug addiction that we can't get enough of. Quite frankly, it is stupid. Keith Richards survives to be a very old man is just the luck of the draw. The Stones are on the new Rolling Stone issue, I see. They still look better than Paul McCartney is looking nowadays though. Elvis never got old so the media seems to be pissed off about that. They can't go there.
Elmer Jackson

Seattle, WA

#11329 May 15, 2013
damn I'll never get to be on the cover of Rolling Stone and no matter how almost famous I become They will always speak of my drinking after I'm gone.Now The Stones are old and Sir Paul is old too .When I get 70 they will probably say Elmer is uglier Than Willy Nelson and Boxcar willie together
King Elvis

Fairy Meadow, Australia

#11330 May 15, 2013
RICK wrote:
And sadly,Octo,read the the article under the heading`director remembers landmark Elvis Presley performance',it's a USA TODAY article interview with Marty Pasetta,on the 40th anniversary of the `ALOHA FROM HAWAII'tv special,which Pasetta directed.The article sounds more like a scathing indictment of Elvis than a celebration of the landmark show,with Pasetta himself sounding rather nasty towards Elvis.This kind of article only further underscores THE MEDIA'S HATRED OF THE KING,peace out.
Wow, did you even READ this article?

If you seriously think it's a 'scathing indictment' of Elvis, then you're really much, MUCH more stupid than I'd thought previously.

Exactly where was Pasetta nasty about Elvis? Nuh-uh Dick, the remark "it was the drugs" doesn't count, because it's accurate. Nope, neither does the "lump" comment about the Long Beach show in'72, one of the laziest, crappiest shows Elvis ever gave - ranks right up there with '76 and '77.

And, so one article that has something you take the wrong way, further 'underscores the media's hatred of the king'?

Oh, give me a BREAK!
octo

Astoria, NY

#11331 May 15, 2013
Elmer Jackson wrote:
damn I'll never get to be on the cover of Rolling Stone and no matter how almost famous I become They will always speak of my drinking after I'm gone.Now The Stones are old and Sir Paul is old too .When I get 70 they will probably say Elmer is uglier Than Willy Nelson and Boxcar willie together
Paul McCartney's more recent photographs are pretty frightening. The Rolling Stones actually look good on the cover of the Rolling Stone magazine. I thumbed through it waiting for my wife at the market last week. I know 70 years old is getting up there in age. Willie Nelson can get away with getting older because he is like Johnny Cash. Paul McCartney looks like an old, sagging chinned granny to me. He has aged rapidly. I'm not sure why but certainly Mick Jagger doesn't look that bad and he can still sing fairly well. Did Paul age because of the death of Linda and years of pot smoking? He looks like he is 90 years old now.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#11332 May 15, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
The anti-drug establishment in the media today seems to want to discredit Elvis's accomplishments simply because the man died. However, a band like The Beatles did drugs but survived therefore, are praised. Since Elvis never followed their hippy culture agenda within their ambitions, they believe that Elvis fans build Elvis Presley up and overlook his flaws. That really isn't true. Pasetta is trying to walk a fine line of not giving the the landmark television special, "Aloha From Hawaii" its true merit because obviously some would only complain. You can't take something that happened 40 years ago and try to cut it down to size because some are still unable to figure out that Elvis fans accept that Elvis wasn't perfect. He was still a great artist nevertheless. It happens to be Elvis, not the drug addiction that we can't get enough of. Quite frankly, it is stupid. Keith Richards survives to be a very old man is just the luck of the draw. The Stones are on the new Rolling Stone issue, I see. They still look better than Paul McCartney is looking nowadays though. Elvis never got old so the media seems to be pissed off about that. They can't go there.
Octo you have to remember that Elvis was before the so called hippie culture. He was more in the greaser culture. If he were still alive he would look far worse than Paul Mccartney or the Stones.I'm sure his hair would grey and he'd be puffy and over weight probably and I doubt he'd still be performing.I don't think anyone is pissed that Elvis didn't get to grow old in fact most are saddened by that fact.Elvis died from too many prescription drugs so if your are going to be pissed off then be pissed off at the doctors and Elvis's overindulgence not the media.It was too bad the King died but many floons feel the same way about MJ the clown.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beatles Album Revolver Sun Anonymous 1
News Beatlemania heads to JET Saturday night Apr 7 UK eh 1
News Ten Things to Do In Houston For $10 or Less (Se... Mar '17 FreePharts 1
Who was present in the line-up for 'love me do'? (Feb '16) Mar '17 kevingnet 4
News Flat Rock Playhouse presents Music on the Rock:... Feb '17 Ringo 2
13 Amazing Facts About Ringo Starr (The Best Dr... Feb '17 Greg 2
For your eyes only (Feb '15) Feb '17 Little monster 58
More from around the web