150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12898 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#11238 May 9, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Yep unfair indeed because scores of bands and musicians copied songs by mo-town and other black guys who were blues artist. Elvis grew up with black folks and the Southern Gospel influence.He had a lot of soul for a white boy.
That is just who Elvis was. His love for Gospel extended through his other stuff. It was a mix of everything because Elvis truly loved music.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#11239 May 9, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all people are picking on Elvis, just an uneducated few that spread misinformation about Elvis doing R & B and nothing else. Obviously, "That's All Right" was Arthur Crudup but they fail to mention Bill Monroe's "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" which is certainly not a black song. Since Elvis was just doing music that he heard and loved, being exposed to both black and white styles, their accusations against him are totally ridiculous and unfair. Elvis mixed it all up even in the early days strictly for the love of different forms of music including Gospel singing. Elvis's catalog has him going in every direction musically, which is why he is still enormously popular today. It is mainly the hip hop, pop and dance culture that thinks that blacks were ripped off by Elvis because it was the fifties "Jim Crow" era. They want to discredit Elvis's achievements based on their imaginary racism that they believe all whites had in the deep south at that time. However, racists whites certainly were not into Elvis. So their claims are strictly made from ignorance. Unfortunately, some of them write and make noise by trying to focus on Elvis.
You are right Octo. Hound Dog was wrote by Big Momma Thornton who was black but Blue Suede Shoes wrote by Carl Perkins. Elvis did these songs because he liked them.An artist gets royalties when another artist does their songs so that's not a rip off buy more like a pay off.Everybody borrows ideas from others The Stones the Yardbirds the Beatles all covered black artist music because they liked it. Even Linda Rondstant. Elvis sometimes gets singled out because he was huge in popularity and still is and always will be. I'm not too sure about the Media picking on Elvis but critics use him as a target I suppose.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#11240 May 9, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
That is just who Elvis was. His love for Gospel extended through his other stuff. It was a mix of everything because Elvis truly loved music.
Blacks like Chuck Berry and Little Richard and Bo Didley got ripped off by producers and back then it was hard to get radio to play black musicians music. But once they did people loved it and Elvis being a music fan sang the songs that fit is style and he loved R&B . Pat Boone was a joke Little Richard got mad when he heard Rooty Tooty sang by Boone until he got a royalty check.It helped because when teens heard him they forgot all about squeeky clean watered down Pat Boone.

Location hidden

#11241 May 9, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>You are right Octo. Hound Dog was wrote by Big Momma Thornton who was black but Blue Suede Shoes wrote by Carl Perkins. Elvis did these songs because he liked them.An artist gets royalties when another artist does their songs so that's not a rip off buy more like a pay off.Everybody borrows ideas from others The Stones the Yardbirds the Beatles all covered black artist music because they liked it. Even Linda Rondstant. Elvis sometimes gets singled out because he was huge in popularity and still is and always will be. I'm not too sure about the Media picking on Elvis but critics use him as a target I suppose.
Big Mama did not write "Hound Dog" She just covered it three years before Elvis. Besides, "Hound Dog" was written by two white guys. Jimi Hendrix covered Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" and made it a much better song. But Hendrix happened to be black. You don't hear Dylan complaning about it. Some are critical of Elvis because they know that his fans still love him even in death. They don't like him because he continues to be a unforgetable legend while others are still in the background somewhere. But Elvis couldn't help that. Elvis was always the bigger artist and got a lot of attention from his fans. That is the whole point of making music is to play for your audience. If someone doesn't like Elvis, all they would have to to do is ignore him. Why write about an artist you know nothing about without doing research before making claims? Bill Haley did the same thing way before Elvis but never gets attacked because no one would care. Elvis sometimes is the target because he stands out above all the rest in the fifties. He kicked major ass and has been focused on more because he was a movie star as well. That is why he was and is so popular. He worked for his success, no matter what some might want to think.
King Elvis

Merrylands, Australia

#11242 May 9, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen some pretty unfair articles written on Elvis by people that are totally clueless.
Sure, but it's not "the media" as Rick implies.

My copy of Southern Gypsy Magic arrived yesterday - it's loaded onto my iPod ready for the weekend!

Still waiting on the FTD of Stay Away, Joe.
King Elvis

Merrylands, Australia

#11243 May 9, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>You are right Octo. Hound Dog was wrote by Big Momma Thornton who was black
Nope, sorry.

Hound Dog was written By Lieber and Stoller, two VERY white guys.

Location hidden

#11244 May 9, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Blacks like Chuck Berry and Little Richard and Bo Didley got ripped off by producers and back then it was hard to get radio to play black musicians music. But once they did people loved it and Elvis being a music fan sang the songs that fit is style and he loved R&B . Pat Boone was a joke Little Richard got mad when he heard Rooty Tooty sang by Boone until he got a royalty check.It helped because when teens heard him they forgot all about squeeky clean watered down Pat Boone.
Pat Boone was a creation of the recording industry to clean up the sexual element of rock n roll. Of course, most parents were concerned that Elvis was doing the devil's music in his peak years as an RCA recording artist but even then, Elvis was aiming to please by doing "Peace In The Valley" which was his first Gospel extended play. And Elvis could do some lovely ballads also but Elvis happened to go different places within rock n roll. It was his ability to change while the other early rockers stayed basically the same. Of course, Elvis loved R & B but he didn't limit himself to just one style. It certainly takes talent to go all over the board musically and still be very good at it. And Elvis was. Even during the British Invasion, Elvis was still doing his thing. His fan base shifted somewhat but he always had a loyal audience and to keep that up is very difficult for most artists. Elvis saw the biggest changes in pop culture in the sixties and seventies and was still able to stay in the game.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#11245 May 9, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, sorry.
Hound Dog was written By Lieber and Stoller, two VERY white guys.
Ok I stand corrected
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#11246 May 9, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Pat Boone was a creation of the recording industry to clean up the sexual element of rock n roll. Of course, most parents were concerned that Elvis was doing the devil's music in his peak years as an RCA recording artist but even then, Elvis was aiming to please by doing "Peace In The Valley" which was his first Gospel extended play. And Elvis could do some lovely ballads also but Elvis happened to go different places within rock n roll. It was his ability to change while the other early rockers stayed basically the same. Of course, Elvis loved R & B but he didn't limit himself to just one style. It certainly takes talent to go all over the board musically and still be very good at it. And Elvis was. Even during the British Invasion, Elvis was still doing his thing. His fan base shifted somewhat but he always had a loyal audience and to keep that up is very difficult for most artists. Elvis saw the biggest changes in pop culture in the sixties and seventies and was still able to stay in the game.
Yeah I think what helped Elvis was that he kept making movies even during the British Invation.Still had movie star status.

Location hidden

#11247 May 9, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, but it's not "the media" as Rick implies.
My copy of Southern Gypsy Magic arrived yesterday - it's loaded onto my iPod ready for the weekend!
Still waiting on the FTD of Stay Away, Joe.
As you will soon find out, "Southern Gypsy Magic" is not a perfect audience recording but is better than other versions of the July 23rd 1975 show that was previously available. I was somewhat disappointed with the overall sound but the performance was worth having anyhow. The bonus tracks are a bit tinny but were worth hearing, especially "Why Me, Lord" done with just Elvis without JD's usual input. I might purchace "Stay Away, Joe" because I have always liked the excellent, "All I Needed Was The Rain"

At this point, I don't care what the media might write about Elvis because I already dislike most of what I read anyway. I know what Elvis did and didn't do and why it came about. It is just silly to get upset over a negative Elvis article, which a lot of times are just lousy Elvis impersonators that they call Elvis. Pure garbage that is better off ignored.
Elmer Jackson

Bothell, WA

#11248 May 9, 2013
Yep I'm sure glad there isn't any Elmer Jackson impersonators. No one can do like I do. Few have tried and passed out from intoxication.
King Elvis

Merrylands, Australia

#11249 May 9, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
As you will soon find out, "Southern Gypsy Magic" is not a perfect audience recording but is better than other versions of the July 23rd 1975 show that was previously available. I was somewhat disappointed with the overall sound but the performance was worth having anyhow. The bonus tracks are a bit tinny but were worth hearing, especially "Why Me, Lord" done with just Elvis without JD's usual input.
I look forward to Why Me Lord without JD. I like JD, but sometimes it's a bit much.

Speaking of which, I programmed each of the later live versions of It's Now Or Never on my iPod to skip over the Sherrill Neilsen bits where he does O Sole Mio and go straight to Elvis. I love my iPod!

Can't wait to hear the unedited version of All I Needed Was The Rain ... a most underrated track.
King Elvis

Merrylands, Australia

#11250 May 9, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
As you will soon find out, "Southern Gypsy Magic" is not a perfect audience recording but is better than other versions of the July 23rd 1975 show that was previously available. I was somewhat disappointed with the overall sound but the performance was worth having anyhow. The bonus tracks are a bit tinny but were worth hearing, especially "Why Me, Lord" done with just Elvis without JD's usual input.
Just played Why Me Lord ... much better without JD!
Elmer Jackson

Bothell, WA

#11251 May 9, 2013
I think I need to hire a Baritone singer like JD to help me make my next CD called Blues and Booze.

Location hidden

#11252 May 9, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Just played Why Me Lord ... much better without JD!
Yes it is! I wish Elvis had sung it straight off like that more often. I knew of the recording but I was never able to find it on import CD. That is why I bought "Southern Gypsy Magic"

Location hidden

#11253 May 9, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
I look forward to Why Me Lord without JD. I like JD, but sometimes it's a bit much.
Speaking of which, I programmed each of the later live versions of It's Now Or Never on my iPod to skip over the Sherrill Neilsen bits where he does O Sole Mio and go straight to Elvis. I love my iPod!
Can't wait to hear the unedited version of All I Needed Was The Rain ... a most underrated track.
I have a great remix of "All I Needed Was The Rain" but it is very brief. Wish that version was extended. I wouldn't mind hearing studio outtakes of it. As you know, the slow version of the "greensleeves" rewrite, "Stay Away" has been released before.
Bubba

Bothell, WA

#11254 May 9, 2013
This is Greensleeves best version I've heard.
King Elvis

Merrylands, Australia

#11255 May 9, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a great remix of "All I Needed Was The Rain" but it is very brief. Wish that version was extended. I wouldn't mind hearing studio outtakes of it.
There's only one full take of it (the original release, and now the extended version of that on FTD).

There's also a 25-second false start (take 2) also on the FTD.

Wonderful song.

I have it on two of my iPod playlists: "Elvis Favourites" and (songs about) "Rain".

Location hidden

#11256 May 9, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
There's only one full take of it (the original release, and now the extended version of that on FTD).
There's also a 25-second false start (take 2) also on the FTD.
Wonderful song.
I have it on two of my iPod playlists: "Elvis Favourites" and (songs about) "Rain".
Elvis did have some improvement in song quality at the tail end of his film career, which were first gathered together for the Camden budget albums. I especially loved "Almost In Love" The song is beautifully done and Elvis never sounded better. There are a few under rated gems from that period that are rarely even mentioned except by diehard Elvis fans. "All I Needed Was The Rain" is great and would fit nicely with some of the better songs from that 1968-1969 time frame.

Location hidden

#11257 May 9, 2013
Bubba wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =YCLv-kPra2IXX This is Greensleeves best version I've heard.
Interesting but it is not the best Greensleeves version I've ever heard. I have it on a CD called, "Classical Guitar" I don't know about Jeff Beck's Greensleeves. It didn't quite get there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hear Joe and Jill Biden's Thoughtful Summer 201... Aug 16 K-DJ 1
my beatles friends (Nov '07) Aug 16 Greg 96
News Keith Richards criticises The Beatles as a live... Aug 12 Greg 2
Why do people hate Yoko Ono? (Sep '09) Aug 8 TrippyHippie 289
News Why "Revolver" still matters: The 50th annivers... Aug 8 Greg 1
Poll The Beatles VS. Elton John Aug 1 Greg 2
Dr BLT's Song Sequel to LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DI... Jul '16 Bruce 1
More from around the web