150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12869 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#11177 May 1, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
The same way it's been done since the 70s ...
Someone in RCA/BMG making copies, then selling them off.
These days, of course, they just download them onto a USB and walk out with them in their pockets.
Well, at least the bootleggers know how to put out a superior product for Elvis fans or rock collectors. I've often wondered why these studio outtakes were not well protected by RCA/BMG. But with releases like "Elvis Sings For Children And Grown Ups Too" "Memories Of Elvis" "I Was The One" "The Elvis Medley" and other totally useless albums, I'm glad that we sometimes get great Elvis imports made by someone that actually cares about Elvis's true worth as an artist. RCA was pretty dire but Sony is even more clueless.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#11178 May 2, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't know how the bootlegger got access to the studio outtakes and/or if they were copied or simply stolen from the RCA vaults in Germany. And I don't know why they sounded crystal clear without remastering either. Elvis was like The Beatles when it actually came to foriegn releases with different takes and different songs released worldwide over the years. I have yet to hear anything from RCA or Sony that comes even close to what these amazing boxes sound like. It is pretty strange. But a record label certainly would not like a bootlegger making money off superior recordings but for some reason, these versions have not been used for their FTD collectors label. I'm sure Elvis fan clubs certainly have heard of these box sets. I don't think Sony cares about what Elvis fans really want. However, I was very fortunate to get these four box sets when I did. I really don't know what happened to the "Cool Romeo" label or what RCA did with the limited edition imports once they legally stopped the sales of them.
You are so lucky to have those! I would love to get my hands on them. I have extremely good bootleg from concerts of The Velvet Underground and Einstuerzende Neubauten.
King Elvis

Quakers Hill, Australia

#11179 May 2, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, at least the bootleggers know how to put out a superior product for Elvis fans or rock collectors. I've often wondered why these studio outtakes were not well protected by RCA/BMG. But with releases like "Elvis Sings For Children And Grown Ups Too" "Memories Of Elvis" "I Was The One" "The Elvis Medley" and other totally useless albums, I'm glad that we sometimes get great Elvis imports made by someone that actually cares about Elvis's true worth as an artist. RCA was pretty dire but Sony is even more clueless.
That's not quite fair.

There were some great releases from 1977 through the 80s.

And Sony has treated Elvis fans far better than RCA did back then. Sure, they've had some misfires, but fans have never had it so good as nowadays to get new stuff - and necessary remixes of old stuff - released.
King Elvis

Quakers Hill, Australia

#11180 May 2, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have the four Unedited Masters CDs? They're very good.
Elmer Jackson

Renton, WA

#11181 May 2, 2013
I heard someone say they found a bootleg copy of one of my CD's and it sounded good. I'm wondering if it is Boozing and Cruising a CD I did when I was just a young hobo. Over the years and all the beers my memory isn't what it used to be. I was thinking of doing an Englebert Humperdink song on my next CD .Man Dean Martin and me could of done a drunken duet if he were still around.

Location hidden

#11182 May 2, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so lucky to have those! I would love to get my hands on them. I have extremely good bootleg from concerts of The Velvet Underground and Einstuerzende Neubauten.
I know who Velvet Underground is...

Yes, I love bootlegs and went crazy with Elvis when I found out about them but more recently, I've become more selective. After all, my wife has say over how we spend our money. There are some fantastic Elvis stuff on some of the better bootlegs. I usually find them at record collector fairs held once a year. My wife is a huge fan of Journey and Steve Perry. I bought her some great Journey concerts, which surprised her. One even had Journey covering Elvis's "Jailhouse Rock" She was unaware of it. She never heard of a bootleg or what they were.
Bubba

Renton, WA

#11183 May 2, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I know who Velvet Underground is...
Yes, I love bootlegs and went crazy with Elvis when I found out about them but more recently, I've become more selective. After all, my wife has say over how we spend our money. There are some fantastic Elvis stuff on some of the better bootlegs. I usually find them at record collector fairs held once a year. My wife is a huge fan of Journey and Steve Perry. I bought her some great Journey concerts, which surprised her. One even had Journey covering Elvis's "Jailhouse Rock" She was unaware of it. She never heard of a bootleg or what they were.
Wow Journey doing Jail House rock hard to imagine. I do remember ZZ Top doing a version of Jailhouse rock on Fandango I think.I have the bootleg Vhs tape of George Harrison and Eric Clapton on tour in Japan but the camera jumps all over the place

Location hidden

#11184 May 2, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have the four Unedited Masters CDs? They're very good.
I know I have a few unedited master CD's but probably not the recent ones that came out. I use the computer to read about a concert or a CD that I might be interested in. I was given some older 90's silver disc Elvis boots also. So I'm never completely without "new" Elvis to listen to. But as you know, I can't get all of them.
King Elvis

Quakers Hill, Australia

#11185 May 2, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I know I have a few unedited master CD's but probably not the recent ones that came out. I use the computer to read about a concert or a CD that I might be interested in. I was given some older 90's silver disc Elvis boots also. So I'm never completely without "new" Elvis to listen to. But as you know, I can't get all of them.
We're spoilt for choice today.

Back in the 70s and 80s, when I started collecting bootlegs, almost every one was a treasure.

Getting an unreleased concert officially was unheard of, and most boots were audience tapes.

Today, people bitch and moan when a soundboard "isn't a great show".

Please.

They should think themselves lucky to even be able to have them.

Just about every second show is available now, and every tour and engagement represented.

I still collect bootleg LPs, I have maybe 200 of them and counting.

And no wife to dictate where I spend my money!

Location hidden

#11186 May 2, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Wow Journey doing Jail House rock hard to imagine. I do remember ZZ Top doing a version of Jailhouse rock on Fandango I think.I have the bootleg Vhs tape of George Harrison and Eric Clapton on tour in Japan but the camera jumps all over the place
Yes, I was surprised and couldn't imagine Steve Perry belting out "Jailhouse Rock" but he did. It is a decent soundboard too. I think there is a soundboard of the Japanese tour with George Harrison and Eric Clapton. I've heard good things about it but never had the opportunity to purchace it. I hated ZZ Top's version of "Viva Las Vegas"
Bubba

Renton, WA

#11187 May 2, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I was surprised and couldn't imagine Steve Perry belting out "Jailhouse Rock" but he did. It is a decent soundboard too. I think there is a soundboard of the Japanese tour with George Harrison and Eric Clapton. I've heard good things about it but never had the opportunity to purchace it. I hated ZZ Top's version of "Viva Las Vegas"
My version of Harrison and Clapton was done by a fan who snuck a cam corder into the concert and his hands are shaky. I've seen good footage on you-tube but there never was a DVD of the show for sale. I bought the Eagles history today at best buy for 30 bucks on sale. It's 4 hours long plus a bonus concert footage added.

Location hidden

#11188 May 2, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
We're spoilt for choice today.
Back in the 70s and 80s, when I started collecting bootlegs, almost every one was a treasure.
Getting an unreleased concert officially was unheard of, and most boots were audience tapes.
Today, people bitch and moan when a soundboard "isn't a great show".
Please.
They should think themselves lucky to even be able to have them.
Just about every second show is available now, and every tour and engagement represented.
I still collect bootleg LPs, I have maybe 200 of them and counting.
And no wife to dictate where I spend my money!
Bootlegs were pretty much unheard of in the eighties around the area that I was from. My friend said he got his Elvis LP's behind the counter in a record store in New York City. He went there weekly to buy Elvis bootlegs. He actually gave me a few of his old albums and I have some the better shape LP's hanging on the wall. The LP that I found myself was "Special Delivery From Elvis Presley" which is really cool because it is pressed in white vinyl.
I like audience tapes and don't mind hearing some chatter as long as Elvis and the band are clear. I don't mind soundboards but if it's a bad show like Hartford '76, why bother?
Dude, being married is different. My wife doesn't dictate where I spend my money. She just sees my Elvis collection and thinks it is ridiculous to have thousands and thousands of Elvis CD's. I am lucky if I can get one that I really can't live without. Still, I must've bought 30 new Elvis imports since 2012.

Location hidden

#11189 May 2, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>My version of Harrison and Clapton was done by a fan who snuck a cam corder into the concert and his hands are shaky. I've seen good footage on you-tube but there never was a DVD of the show for sale. I bought the Eagles history today at best buy for 30 bucks on sale. It's 4 hours long plus a bonus concert footage added.
Yeah, I have Led Zeppelin's London 02 reunion on DVD taped with a camcorder. Those things are a waste of money. You bought some Eagles at Best Buy and did not pick up the new Hendrix?

Location hidden

#11190 May 2, 2013
of the better shape LP's hanging on the wall...

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#11191 May 2, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Now THAT I would love to hear. It's hard for me to envision Steve Perry singing "Jailhouse Rock."

Location hidden

#11192 May 2, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Now THAT I would love to hear. It's hard for me to envision Steve Perry singing "Jailhouse Rock."
It was strange because Steve Perry did a straight version and the audience of Journey fans did not quite know what to make of it. It was from the "Raised On Radio" period in 1986. Larrie Londin was Elvis's drummer that played on his final concert. Londin just happened to play on on couple tracks on the studio "Raised On Radio" and maybe that is why Journey covered it that night live?
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#11193 May 3, 2013
You've got quite a massive collection of Elvis music,Octo,I'm quite impressed,I'm also sure you,like myself,have a good number of those Elvis stamps as well.There is a lot of Elvis lore that isn't in any Elvis trivia books,like the `LOVING YOU'info that I talked about a few posts back,these are facts that I have strictly from memory from my childhood that I never forgot,and that info is not in any Elvis trivia book.Another memory that I have that has fallen through the cracks so to speak is just a couple of months after Elvis sudden death NBC aired a special of remembrances from people he worked with in the movies,I don't remember ALL the people that were on,but I do remember Jack Albertson[of `CHICO AND THE MAN'fame[an oscar winning actor who co starred with Elvis in `KISSIN'COUSINS'and `ROUSTABOUT],Ann Margret,and Oscar winning movie costume designer Edith Head,these memories have always stuck in my head,peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#11194 May 3, 2013
And Bubba,you mentioned something about Steely Dan,are you a fan of theirs,I am,I have a fair number of their CD'S,like `AJA',`COUNTDOWN TO ECSTASY',`KATY LIED',`THE ROYAL SCAM',`PRETZEL LOGIC' and others,which is your favorite,peace out.

Location hidden

#11195 May 3, 2013
RICK wrote:
You've got quite a massive collection of Elvis music,Octo,I'm quite impressed,I'm also sure you,like myself,have a good number of those Elvis stamps as well.There is a lot of Elvis lore that isn't in any Elvis trivia books,like the `LOVING YOU'info that I talked about a few posts back,these are facts that I have strictly from memory from my childhood that I never forgot,and that info is not in any Elvis trivia book.Another memory that I have that has fallen through the cracks so to speak is just a couple of months after Elvis sudden death NBC aired a special of remembrances from people he worked with in the movies,I don't remember ALL the people that were on,but I do remember Jack Albertson[of `CHICO AND THE MAN'fame[an oscar winning actor who co starred with Elvis in `KISSIN'COUSINS'and `ROUSTABOUT],Ann Margret,and Oscar winning movie costume designer Edith Head,these memories have always stuck in my head,peace out.
I remember that "special presentation" on television. They also shown Elvis movies on the weekends starting at midnight and I stayed up to watch them all. I started collecting bootlegs after I met my Elvis friends from New York City. I took a bus to see the TCB band. That is how I met them. I was given a lot of Elvis CD boots and we would trade certain concerts and studio outtake material. I think the first Elvis import Cd's I bought were "Burning In Birmingham" and "A Hot Winter Night In Dallas" which are both soundboards. I was blown away by Elvis's performances. It started my quest for more Elvis boots. I love the sound of a perfect sounding audience recording. It is the next best thing to actually being there. I've gotten quite a few over the years. Elvis was the best. What is amazing is these were recorded by fans on cassette recorders and the cassettes held up for all this time. Pretty cool that they were captured so people like me could hear them.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#11196 May 3, 2013
RICK wrote:
And Bubba,you mentioned something about Steely Dan,are you a fan of theirs,I am,I have a fair number of their CD'S,like `AJA',`COUNTDOWN TO ECSTASY',`KATY LIED',`THE ROYAL SCAM',`PRETZEL LOGIC' and others,which is your favorite,peace out.
I like Countdown to Ecstacy and Pretzel Logic. Katy Lied wasn't as good as their earlier stuff. I haven't heard the Royal scam yet.Their first two albums are my favorites.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bob Marley, Wailers atop Billboard album chart Jul 30 Octopus 1
Dont let me down Jul 28 feedy 5 star 1
News McCartney says he's given up pot now that he's ... Jul 14 FiendishThingy 3
For your eyes only Jul 3 Little monster 25
News Get over this wife-beating poseur Jun '15 Lawrence James co... 18
The Beatles 50th Anniversary (Feb '14) Jun '15 Greg 16
Why do people hate Yoko Ono? (Sep '09) Jun '15 Ralph 286
More from around the web