150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

Dec 6, 2008 Full story: talk.livedaily.com 12,774

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Full Story
Ziggy

Everett, WA

#11157 Apr 29, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice poem.
You'll notice how the post you responded to has now been deleted.
Great work, Topix!
Yep it vanished. Kind of funny huh?
Dennis Hauser

United States

#11158 Apr 30, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to see a couple box set FTD releases that cover Elvis from the beginning to the end with studio outtakes, interviews and live stuff in order of which they were recorded. FTD doesn't have to rerelease the masters again because most of us already have the recordings. I realize that RCA as already released plenty of box sets in the past but Elvis was too complex of an artist to just cover a certain period. As for "All I Needed Was The Rain" on the new ftd, "Stay Away Joe" project, it probably would be better taken out of that content. I have no doubt that FTD will probably release "Elvis In Concert" down the road but the boot, "The Final Curtain" pretty much covered that already even if FTD did take the time to remaster the CBS tapes. But why? The performances in Omaha and Rapid City weren't strong enough to justify such an massive undertaking. I'd like to see more "Out In Hollywood" and "Silver Screen Stereo" CD's with extended stereo versions of fifties material that were only previous available on mono. They do have that stuff, you know. FTD has put out way too many 1976 concert soundboards. I would think that they would know about some of the better sounding audience imports that capture way better performances. Why can't they do the same? I rarely listen to most of the FTD concerts. Instead, the boots is what I desire.
If I remember right, "All I Needed Was the Rain" was from the "Flaming Star" LP. I always liked that song and "Night Life" from the same LP. I appreciate the latest info Octo!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#11159 Apr 30, 2013
Dennis Hauser wrote:
<quoted text>
If I remember right, "All I Needed Was the Rain" was from the "Flaming Star" LP. I always liked that song and "Night Life" from the same LP. I appreciate the latest info Octo!
Yes, the "Flaming Star" LP was one of the many Camden budget releases that were released starting in 1968 that had movie material that did not have a soundtrack. However, some of the albums were excellent like the original "Almost In Love" and the "Let's Be Friends" LP's. I've heard the modren dance club remixed "Night Life" and it actually works. It sounds like a crazy dance club hit. "All I Needed Was The Rain" is an excellent bluesy tune that was one of the better tracks from "Stay Away, Joe"
Bubba

Everett, WA

#11160 Apr 30, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the "Flaming Star" LP was one of the many Camden budget releases that were released starting in 1968 that had movie material that did not have a soundtrack. However, some of the albums were excellent like the original "Almost In Love" and the "Let's Be Friends" LP's. I've heard the modren dance club remixed "Night Life" and it actually works. It sounds like a crazy dance club hit. "All I Needed Was The Rain" is an excellent bluesy tune that was one of the better tracks from "Stay Away, Joe"
Hey Octo I just heard that Steven Stills has a new band with Kenny Wayne Sheppard and a new album coming out at the end of July. It has a version of keep on rocking in the free World on it.It is sort of like the album he did with Al Cooper and Mike Bloomfield called super sessions a long time ago before Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Stills is a talented guitar player Tree Top Flyer is a cool song.

Location hidden

#11161 Apr 30, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Eight soundboards from '76 isn't too much when you consider there are more (complete) shows from that year than any other. FTD's mission was to represent each tour and they've done that, or just about.
To release all the outtakes in order from the 50s to '76 is unfeasible - sure, it would serve the completists, but no one else. And it would make for boring listening.
And to remaster Omaha and Rapid City plus the original album is hardly a "massive" undertaking. FTD has wasted several releases: why on earth did they do Hits Of The 70s? It was a UK album from 1974, not even a noteworthy one, and the FTD release doesn't even have anything new on it. Totally pointless release, but I guess some will have purchased it.
I hope FTD do The Trouble With Girls and Live A Little, Love A Little for their next movie soundtracks. I'm looking forward to Stay Away, Joe very much.
But all the 1976 soundboards have the same set list. I don't think a compilation of studio outtakes from the fifties on up that told a story of how Elvis progressed as an artist would be boring at all. I think FTD slops them out without even listening to them first. They don't seem to care. The bootleggers at least make an effort to give fans some great performances even if they are audience recordings. I bought a set of box sets years ago called, "Unsurpassed Masters 1-4" on the short lived "Cool Romeo" label and the sound is crystal clear. RCA put a stop to it shortly after I got those boxes. They were supposed to get into some seventies material but they were shut down before they could. I think these outtakes came from the RCA vaults in Germany. Anyway, they are way superior than what FTD does. It was eye opening. Take one of "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" is a perfect bluesy early stab of the song. Much better than the master or later takes of the Dylan cover. Bob Dylan would shit. It is that great.

Location hidden

#11162 Apr 30, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Octo I just heard that Steven Stills has a new band with Kenny Wayne Sheppard and a new album coming out at the end of July. It has a version of keep on rocking in the free World on it.It is sort of like the album he did with Al Cooper and Mike Bloomfield called super sessions a long time ago before Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Stills is a talented guitar player Tree Top Flyer is a cool song.
Steven Stills played bass with Jimi Hendrix on "Somewhere"

It is one of the strongest tracks on the newly released CD.

Jimi asked him to switch to bass so he could do the guitar parts.

Unbelievable to me that it was never released in its original form.
Bubba

Everett, WA

#11163 Apr 30, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Steven Stills played bass with Jimi Hendrix on "Somewhere"
It is one of the strongest tracks on the newly released CD.
Jimi asked him to switch to bass so he could do the guitar parts.
Unbelievable to me that it was never released in its original form.
Yeah I heard he was on the album but I didn't know he played bass guitar.Stills has played with a lot of people over the years.

Location hidden

#11164 Apr 30, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah I heard he was on the album but I didn't know he played bass guitar.Stills has played with a lot of people over the years.
"Somewhere" sounds like it would've been a huge rock classic if it actually saw the light of day in 1970. It just surprised me that something that good remained in the vaults for that long. Yes, I know Steven Stills is an excellent musician but I never knew that he played with Hendrix. Most people would die for that chance.
Bubba

Everett, WA

#11165 Apr 30, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
"Somewhere" sounds like it would've been a huge rock classic if it actually saw the light of day in 1970. It just surprised me that something that good remained in the vaults for that long. Yes, I know Steven Stills is an excellent musician but I never knew that he played with Hendrix. Most people would die for that chance.
Yeah everybody wanted a chance to play with Hendrix the master.Buddy Miles played with him in Band of Gypsies the album was pretty good. You might remember him from the song Them changes. He was a one hit wonder and a drummer.

Location hidden

#11166 Apr 30, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah everybody wanted a chance to play with Hendrix the master.Buddy Miles played with him in Band of Gypsies the album was pretty good. You might remember him from the song Them changes. He was a one hit wonder and a drummer.
If you see the new Hendrix release, pick it up. Len bought it and absolutely loves it. She said it is the best album she has heard so far this year. I heard something quite different in Jimi's singing that makes this CD unusual. It is well worth buying. All the musicians playing with Hendrix are inspired. It is hot stuff.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#11167 Apr 30, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
If you see the new Hendrix release, pick it up. Len bought it and absolutely loves it. She said it is the best album she has heard so far this year. I heard something quite different in Jimi's singing that makes this CD unusual. It is well worth buying. All the musicians playing with Hendrix are inspired. It is hot stuff.
I've played some of it off of you-tube. What I've heard is pretty good. I wished Jimi Hendrix and Joe Walsh could of done something together. Analogue man is pretty good album too but I've always been a big fan of crazy Joe Walsh.

Location hidden

#11168 Apr 30, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>I've played some of it off of you-tube. What I've heard is pretty good. I wished Jimi Hendrix and Joe Walsh could of done something together. Analogue man is pretty good album too but I've always been a big fan of crazy Joe Walsh.
You Tube is a good tool to listen to something before you buy. Of course, the CD has a crisp sound, better than You Tube. Jimi Hendrix amazes me. I like The Doors too. The music never goes out of style. Something about the sixties and early seventies, man. Hendrix took everything to another level. It is like I'm hearing something brand new even if it is old stuff.
King Elvis

Hornsby, Australia

#11169 Apr 30, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
You Tube is a good tool to listen to something before you buy. Of course, the CD has a crisp sound, better than You Tube. Jimi Hendrix amazes me. I like The Doors too. The music never goes out of style. Something about the sixties and early seventies, man. Hendrix took everything to another level. It is like I'm hearing something brand new even if it is old stuff.
1967-1971 is the best period for music, that is a scientific fact, as irrefutable as the laws of physics - end of story, no debate at all, anyone who disagrees is completely wrong!

YouTube is also a great to listen to Elvis boots and shows before buying, someone always puts them up.

There are some rarities to be found there.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#11170 Apr 30, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
1967-1971 is the best period for music, that is a scientific fact, as irrefutable as the laws of physics - end of story, no debate at all, anyone who disagrees is completely wrong!
YouTube is also a great to listen to Elvis boots and shows before buying, someone always puts them up.
King I'd have to expand that to 1965-1975 as the best decade of music so far. Nothing has matched that decade yet.So we are both right and I think we both grew up during that period.

Location hidden

#11171 Apr 30, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly agree with that. The music really meant something in that era. I like reading the reviews on the Elvis imports so I can decide what ones are worth getting. A poor sounding audience is worthless. Why get stuck with them if you can read the review before hand? Sound quality and performance is what I'm looking for.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#11172 Apr 30, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
But all the 1976 soundboards have the same set list. I don't think a compilation of studio outtakes from the fifties on up that told a story of how Elvis progressed as an artist would be boring at all. I think FTD slops them out without even listening to them first. They don't seem to care. The bootleggers at least make an effort to give fans some great performances even if they are audience recordings. I bought a set of box sets years ago called, "Unsurpassed Masters 1-4" on the short lived "Cool Romeo" label and the sound is crystal clear. RCA put a stop to it shortly after I got those boxes. They were supposed to get into some seventies material but they were shut down before they could. I think these outtakes came from the RCA vaults in Germany. Anyway, they are way superior than what FTD does. It was eye opening. Take one of "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" is a perfect bluesy early stab of the song. Much better than the master or later takes of the Dylan cover. Bob Dylan would shit. It is that great.
Do you know if it's possible to find the "Unsurpassed Masters 1-4?" I've heard good bootleg, taken during other performers' and groups' concerts. I'd love to hear this.

Location hidden

#11173 May 1, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know if it's possible to find the "Unsurpassed Masters 1-4?" I've heard good bootleg, taken during other performers' and groups' concerts. I'd love to hear this.
I don't think you'd find this collection of boxes because of its limited stock. Someone on the inside at RCA apparently got a hold of these studio outtakes, which were mostly from the sixties era. On the last CD on box four, they had put a few bonus seventies outtakes at the end. Obviously, they planned to continue with the series but were stopped from doing so. What amazed me was the crystal clear sound quality that certainly beats the standard releases of common store bought Elvis Presley material. I'm glad that I was lucky enough to purchace these before RCA stopped the sale of the four boxed sets. I'd imagine a lot of fans missed out on getting the complete series because each box was quite costly. This was several years ago, mind you. I have all four boxes.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#11174 May 1, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you'd find this collection of boxes because of its limited stock. Someone on the inside at RCA apparently got a hold of these studio outtakes, which were mostly from the sixties era. On the last CD on box four, they had put a few bonus seventies outtakes at the end. Obviously, they planned to continue with the series but were stopped from doing so. What amazed me was the crystal clear sound quality that certainly beats the standard releases of common store bought Elvis Presley material. I'm glad that I was lucky enough to purchace these before RCA stopped the sale of the four boxed sets. I'd imagine a lot of fans missed out on getting the complete series because each box was quite costly. This was several years ago, mind you. I have all four boxes.
Do you know if anyone has suggested RCA release them? I imagine they could afford to buy the recordings or work in partnership with the group that has them. It's a shame to stop the release of something fans would enjoy. I have known of groups grateful when they learned about the existence of good-quality bootleg.

Location hidden

#11175 May 1, 2013
Len is Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know if anyone has suggested RCA release them? I imagine they could afford to buy the recordings or work in partnership with the group that has them. It's a shame to stop the release of something fans would enjoy. I have known of groups grateful when they learned about the existence of good-quality bootleg.
I wouldn't know how the bootlegger got access to the studio outtakes and/or if they were copied or simply stolen from the RCA vaults in Germany. And I don't know why they sounded crystal clear without remastering either. Elvis was like The Beatles when it actually came to foriegn releases with different takes and different songs released worldwide over the years. I have yet to hear anything from RCA or Sony that comes even close to what these amazing boxes sound like. It is pretty strange. But a record label certainly would not like a bootlegger making money off superior recordings but for some reason, these versions have not been used for their FTD collectors label. I'm sure Elvis fan clubs certainly have heard of these box sets. I don't think Sony cares about what Elvis fans really want. However, I was very fortunate to get these four box sets when I did. I really don't know what happened to the "Cool Romeo" label or what RCA did with the limited edition imports once they legally stopped the sales of them.
King Elvis

Quakers Hill, Australia

#11176 May 1, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't know how the bootlegger got access to the studio outtakes
The same way it's been done since the 70s ...

Someone in RCA/BMG making copies, then selling them off.

These days, of course, they just download them onto a USB and walk out with them in their pockets.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
10 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Michael... 4 min LoveHisMusicHateT... 23
Portraits of Beatles as Old Men Sep 25 Diana 2
anti Beatles fan (Dec '08) Sep 23 Slobodan Milosevic 246
The year after the Beatles met E (Mar '14) Sep 23 Little monster 186
This Forum Is Officially Pronounced DEAD (Feb '10) Sep 20 Obi Wan Biden 32
Who invented the Beatles' logo? Sep 14 Greg 1
The Beatlesa Jewish Roots Sep 14 Dr Cosmo Arse-Bandit 6

The Beatles People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE