150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12889 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Besara

Omaha, NE

#11013 Apr 22, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Foghat actually had the good taste of covering a lesser known hit by Elvis called, "I Feel So Bad" which was pretty cool. At least, it wasn't The Carpenters "Ticket To Ride" or "Please Mister Postman" Deep Purple recorded one of the best live albums in the eighties called, "Nobody's Perfect" with a little uncredited Buddy Holly's "Everyday" in the middle of the show. Great album.
The Carpenters' covers of those two songs were actually good because they didn't try to note-for-note it as too many covers do.
Besara

Omaha, NE

#11014 Apr 22, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>.... I had the 8-track tape of Foghat with that song on it. They rocked on cover songs and one guy was in Savoy Brown the group that did Tell Momma.....
Roger Earl and Dave Peverrett were both in Savoy Brown. Then again, a reading of former Savoy Brown personnel is a Who's Who of British Rock & Blues players.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#11015 Apr 22, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>You know Octo I never knew where that song came from and I've heard heard the Elvis version. I had the 8-track tape of Foghat with that song on it. They rocked on cover songs and one guy was in Savoy Brown the group that did Tell Momma.fOOL FOR THE CITY is a good album. So is the one with the picture of a Rock and a roll on the cover.
I love Foghat's most popular overall album, "Fool For The City"

A guy at work told me that they covered Elvis's "I Feel So Bad"

I thought it was cool that they went for a lesser known Elvis hit.

However, Elvis still did the ultimate version.

It was released around the same time as "Little Sister"

It was the early sixties and radio liked his ballads better.

It was a shame that it was what direction it was going.

But Elvis still has a few faster rockers to enjoy on album tracks.

The mood of the country at the time was mellow pop recordings.

Location hidden

#11016 Apr 22, 2013
Besara wrote:
<quoted text>The Carpenters' covers of those two songs were actually good because they didn't try to note-for-note it as too many covers do.
I know a lot of people put down The Carpenters but they were good.

Karen still had a beautiful voice that rises above sap.

It was pop radio and wasn't meant to be hard rock.

I understand their appeal and her voice is what made it special.

Same with John Denver, who was laughed at unfairly.

The rock n roll media turned against them by the mid seventies.

Mamas And Papas did a great cover of The Beatles, "I Call Your Name"

Location hidden

#11017 Apr 22, 2013
Of course, radio as always been frickle when comes to playing artists while ignoring the really good stuff but it can suddenly turn against certain artists or groups as well. It happened to disco in the late seventies and again when grunge bands and hip hop killed the hair band scene. That is why I rarely listen to radio because they play mostly tired classic rock that has been played a billion times or nineties plus music, which does not interest me at all. Background noise. It seems to be still be doing what it always has, playing mainstream crap for the masses. That is one of the reasons I seek out bootleg material. I do not follow what is forced fed and desire listening to music that may not be played all the time but is enjoyable and fun. Collecting these recordings is very cool and I also like rock memorabilia. I even put a couple Beatle albums on my walls to offset Elvis since I was accused of having a shrine. I just wanted to keep it classy and avoid cheap posters. I like the rare collectibles that I know are worth some money. I'm sure a Beatle fan would frame the butcher album cover if they found one, keep it protected behind glass.
Elmer Jackson

Renton, WA

#11018 Apr 22, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I know a lot of people put down The Carpenters but they were good.
Karen still had a beautiful voice that rises above sap.
It was pop radio and wasn't meant to be hard rock.
I understand their appeal and her voice is what made it special.
Same with John Denver, who was laughed at unfairly.
The rock n roll media turned against them by the mid seventies.
Mamas And Papas did a great cover of The Beatles, "I Call Your Name"
I asked the Carpenters if I could sing with them but they said they don't do any drinking songs. Karen was a pretty good drummer and singer but she wasn't interested in my hobo image and their squeeky clean image just didn't fit together for POP radio.I should of asked ABBA instead maybe.
King Elvis

Parramatta, Australia

#11019 Apr 22, 2013
The Poet wrote:
<quoted text> There once was a Bogus Bogan who lived on the Central Coast..
The guy said his name was Philip Logan but we know better because his teeth look like burnt Toast...
I heard that his name is really Phil Lean and he cause a scene because he's the guy that needs DEntal the most.
Being a troll doesn't make you transparent for you are a Troll not a Ghost...
Matey, as much as I like your poetry, can I suggest you not respond to this idiot troll?

That's what trolls feed on - attention.

As you can see, Topix has - yes, again!- deleted its comments, even ones rather pathetically written using my screen name.
Topix will continue to do so.

My own responses here will be related to people's comments here and to Elvis in general, so once again, just ignore the troll's cries for attention and anything else written in my name.

(Okay, there'll be one more response to "it" from me, below - had that one pre-written, so am just copying and pasting).

My apologies to you all. This idiot troll's sick vendetta against me has ruined this thread for the rest of you, and I apologise (on MY behalf, not his!)
King Elvis

Parramatta, Australia

#11020 Apr 22, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Get all the DIPWAD TROLL SH.T DOWN NOW!!!!!
Done, troll.

Done.

All your "troll shit" is down. And it will continue to be taken down.

Every time.

No one's listening, troll.

No one cares.

But you keep posting away here if it gets you off, sitting alone, posting in front of your computer at three in the morning like the hopeless loser troll you are; you keep responding to your own posts using multiple names in the vain effort to give your worthless life some meaning.

Topix will delete your comments.

You keep posting away here late at night, when your wh*re wife is waiting for you in bed, wondering what you're doing.

You keep posting away here knowing full well Topix deletes your comments, no matter what name you use, including mine.

Even when you try to be me, Topix sees right through you and will delete your comments.

What does it say about you that you spent the weekend coming back here over and over, posting under several names, including mine, responding to your own posts?

It says that you're a worthless, vile internet troll.

How does it make you feel, Phillip, that not only is your actual life so pathetic, no one in here gives a toss about you either.

Oh, and only 12-year-old girls use "LOL" in their posts, moron.

No one cares.

So you keep posting away here as your pathetic obsession with me eats you up.

Three years later and my words "Piss off, troll" from your very first post still bother you.

You keep posting away here using multiple names when everyone knows it's you.

No one cares.

You gutless, worthless piece of shit.

You whiny, childish little bitch.

You lonely, pathetic troll.

You vicious, nasty slimebag.

You sick, weak, small fool.

You sad, pathetic, worthless little man.

Location hidden

#11021 Apr 22, 2013
Elmer Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>I asked the Carpenters if I could sing with them but they said they don't do any drinking songs. Karen was a pretty good drummer and singer but she wasn't interested in my hobo image and their squeeky clean image just didn't fit together for POP radio.I should of asked ABBA instead maybe.
Yeah, The Carpenters had a sappy, mainstream image and radio suddenly turned against them. But it didn't mean that they weren't talented for what they were in the late sixties, early seventies. They were yuppies from New England. Pure brother and sister bubble gum act. I actually found a bootleg CD of them live, I think in 1971 or 1972. It was interesting nevertheless. I feel sorry for Karen because she listened to her critics and they were vicious. She was called fat and she starved herself to death. They never pretended to be rock so I don't see what the big deal was. They certainly had their time and that was that. Karen's life ended tragically but it was her talent and his voice that made those songs work. At least, no one sounded quite like them. And that was the whole point.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#11022 Apr 22, 2013
Talking more about some of the absolute stupid records that these DJ'S were making big hits out of in the 1970's,what about`Afternoon Delight'by The Starlight Vocal Band[AYYYY],`Spiders and Snakes' by Jim Stafford,`Angie Baby'by Helen Reddy,`You make me feel like dancing'by Leo Sayer,`You light up my life'by Debby Boone,`I like to bang Kangaroos'by King Elvis[ha ha,just kidding],`You know I can dance',AGAIN by the immortal Leo Sayer,I wish Leo would dance his way to a glass of water and a cyanide capsule,he'd be doing mankind a big favor,really,`Hooked on a feeling'by Blue Swede,remember`OOGA CHAKA OOGA OOGA',what were these DJ'S THINKING,SHEEEESH,peace out.
King Elvis

Parramatta, Australia

#11023 Apr 22, 2013
RICK wrote:
Leo Sayer
He became an Aussie citizen a while back and lives here in Sydney, so now WE have to put up with him attempting to be a "star" again via reality TV.

Crap then, still cap now!
King Elvis

Parramatta, Australia

#11024 Apr 22, 2013
I meant, "CRAP" now.

Oh, and everyone - please let my previous post be the last one to or about the troll.

Let it rant, let it rave, Topix will simply delete its shit.

Let's get this thread back on track with our main man, ELVIS!

Thanks.

Location hidden

#11025 Apr 22, 2013
RICK wrote:
Talking more about some of the absolute stupid records that these DJ'S were making big hits out of in the 1970's,what about`Afternoon Delight'by The Starlight Vocal Band[AYYYY],`Spiders and Snakes' by Jim Stafford,`Angie Baby'by Helen Reddy,`You make me feel like dancing'by Leo Sayer,`You light up my life'by Debby Boone,`I like to bang Kangaroos'by King Elvis[ha ha,just kidding],`You know I can dance',AGAIN by the immortal Leo Sayer,I wish Leo would dance his way to a glass of water and a cyanide capsule,he'd be doing mankind a big favor,really,`Hooked on a feeling'by Blue Swede,remember`OOGA CHAKA OOGA OOGA',what were these DJ'S THINKING,SHEEEESH,peace out.
Yet, they ignored the Elvis singles, "Promised Land" (1974) and 1975's "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" which Elvis played live. Rockin' country efforts by the king that still hold up. Who needs radio play when the singles did well enough? Sometimes, it is better that it wasn't surrounded by that garbage. Elvis did give fans a taste of some great up tempo material towards the end and they were great. Disc jockeys are fools. They have always have been. Feed the junk to the mainstream public that are totally clueless. In the end, they helped Elvis because it was never overplayed. It is Elvis's most overlooked period but the music was amazing and still is.

Location hidden

#11026 Apr 22, 2013
They have always been.
Bubba

Renton, WA

#11027 Apr 22, 2013
RICK wrote:
I hated Helen Ready and the Archies with Sugar sugar.KC and the sunshine band sucked bad. DJ's in the 70's must of got payolla to play that crap.

Location hidden

#11028 Apr 22, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>I hated Helen Ready and the Archies with Sugar sugar.KC and the sunshine band sucked bad. DJ's in the 70's must of got payolla to play that crap.
It was a matter of selling crap to a clueless mainstream audience that thought that shit was great. "Torn Between Two Lovers" and "All By Myself" had to be the worst next to "You Light Up My Life" Yet, radio played it and all the time.
King Elvis

Parramatta, Australia

#11029 Apr 22, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>I hated Helen Ready and the Archies with Sugar sugar.KC and the sunshine band sucked bad. DJ's in the 70's must of got payolla to play that crap.
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a matter of selling crap to a clueless mainstream audience that thought that shit was great. "Torn Between Two Lovers" and "All By Myself" had to be the worst next to "You Light Up My Life" Yet, radio played it and all the time.
Guys, you're forgetting.

It was then as it is now.

Who buys the records?

Mostly teens.

They're the ones who drive the charts.

And, to be fair, there were mostly good tracks during the 60s and 70s that made it to No.1 - the ones you mentioned above are exceptions.

Like I said, then as now.
Bubba

Renton, WA

#11030 Apr 22, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot Paul Anka with his crappy song Having my baby. yes many radio songs were really crap but some goofs liked that stuff. I'm glad we had BTO and Steve Miller and Steely Dan and Lennon to listen to so we didn't have to listen to Disco and sap. I was a DJ at a tavern in 1976 Everybody liked Elton John the bitch is back and J Giels Nothing but a party.Even Charlie Daniels Long Haired Country boy was requested.
Brocko

Renton, WA

#11033 Apr 22, 2013
Rocko wrote:
<quoted text>
King Elvis is saying all the so-called "troll posts" have been taken down, How come I can see them as quotes to other cat's posts?
I don't know Rocko?
King Elvis

Parramatta, Australia

#11034 Apr 22, 2013
Brocko wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know Rocko?
Like I said, just ignore the troll.

Its above two posts will be taken down soon, as will any that follow.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Get over this wife-beating poseur 12 hr Lawrence James co... 19
News Can you guess the 5 Beatles songs that Elvis Pr... (Oct '14) Sep 1 Cherokeeelvis60 4
News I Think I Know I Mean a Yes Aug 30 Antonella 1
News Beatles, Beach Boys, Dylan rank high in Rolling... (Jan '06) Aug 29 Brian 51
News Comment: You can't measure the magic of the Bea... Aug 21 llq 2
News Bob Marley, Wailers atop Billboard album chart Jul '15 Octopus 1
Dont let me down Jul '15 feedy 5 star 1
More from around the web