150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

Dec 6, 2008 Full story: talk.livedaily.com 12,818

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Full Story

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10916 Apr 13, 2013
Poppa Jivebones wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Octo you are looking at it all wrong man. They have plenty of Purpose they will do their newer songs I'm sure and they are proving that Old rockers can still rock and play their old and new and millions will enjoy it. How many other Bands have had over 40 years of success and still have the drive to keep doing rock shows?I doubt bands like U2 or Van Halen won't be able when they get to the Stones age.Senior Citizens still going strong hell yeah. Long live the Stones I say.BB King and the Stones prove you are never to old If you still love what you do and it brings others joy Paul McCartney thinks that way too and if Elvis were still around he probably still be singing Love Me Tender but I doubt he'd shake to Jail House rock or All Shook up unless he had new hip surgery in both hips. What would he be like 79 or older? I don't remember.Peace out
You misunderstand me, Bubba.

What I want from The Rolling Stones is the blues.

Mick Jagger hops around stage like he is still young.

He is still doing that disco shit and attepts at modernized rock.

They are not being creative enough with the music.

And I wish that they would start acting their age.

They could do better with the blues instead of what they are doing.

It is a waste of time in my view.

It is not that they can't play, it is just the songs.

They need to get back to their roots and avoid the obvious hits.

Elvis would've been almost 80 years old, had he lived.

But in 1977, he was only 42 years old and doing different things.

He rarely did rock but what he did do was stunning.

That is because his voice was still strong enough to pull it off.

Location hidden

#10917 Apr 13, 2013
Poppa Jivebones wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Octo you are looking at it all wrong man. They have plenty of Purpose they will do their newer songs I'm sure and they are proving that Old rockers can still rock and play their old and new and millions will enjoy it. How many other Bands have had over 40 years of success and still have the drive to keep doing rock shows?I doubt bands like U2 or Van Halen won't be able when they get to the Stones age.Senior Citizens still going strong hell yeah. Long live the Stones I say.BB King and the Stones prove you are never to old If you still love what you do and it brings others joy Paul McCartney thinks that way too and if Elvis were still around he probably still be singing Love Me Tender but I doubt he'd shake to Jail House rock or All Shook up unless he had new hip surgery in both hips. What would he be like 79 or older? I don't remember.Peace out
BB King does the blues.

And it works for him because he doesn't have to pretend.

He is old and he knows it.

Mick Jagger acts like he is still thirty years old.

Keith Richards can still play but he is sagging very badly.

His skin tone is gray even.

It makes them both look old and foolish.

Ron Wood and Charlie Watts fare much better.

But Jagger and Richards control what direction they seem to follow.
Lee

Burbank, CA

#10920 Apr 13, 2013
Observer Rules wrote:
<quoted text>
Shut the fu..ck up, you low dog troll.
STOP polluting the site with all your arsewipe crap, for Gods' sake!!
Rack off you dog.
Well, he finally cracked completey. He's talking to himself now.

Maybe Len could diagnose him.
xxxxx

UK

#10921 Apr 13, 2013
Lee wrote:
<quoted text>Well, he finally cracked completey. He's talking to himself now.
Maybe Len could diagnose him.
You are right Lee.

Len should have a word.

Location hidden

#10924 Apr 13, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Mick struts his stuff because that's just Mick being Mick. He always has and always will strut his stuff.When they had Brian Jones on harmonica they played blues but by 1964 they had to compete with the Beatles and Kinks and the Who and Eventually Led Zepplin who brought the blues back along with Creme and Eric Clapton. In 1965 Blues wasn't happening The Mercy Beat like Gerry and Pacemakers was what was in even the Dave Clark Five were trying to do it.The Stones can do blues but I don't think they would ever do a whole album of it Like Clapton has done.Fleetwood Mac and John Mayall were about the only blues bands from England other than what Creme and Led Zepplin added back then.In the 70's The Allman Brothers kept the blues alive but I don't remember too many others except maybe Fog Hat and Humble Piewith SteveMarriot not Peter Frampton
I criticize The Rolling Stones because I know they can do blues.

I mean, two decent new rock songs on another hits CD?

It is not enough to get them on top again.

They need to do something fantastic.

I want "Exile On Main Street" again. I want to hear the passion.

They can do a modernized blues album with slide guitar.

What are they waiting for?

Mick Jagger has used The Stones for his hip persona for many years.

It is not working anymore, Bubba.

I would buy a great new CD from The Rolling Stones.

They would have to get down to business and get into gritty blues.

Mean and nasty. They've played it too safe for too long...

The sad part is that I know that they can still do it.

Location hidden

#10925 Apr 13, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Mick struts his stuff because that's just Mick being Mick. He always has and always will strut his stuff.When they had Brian Jones on harmonica they played blues but by 1964 they had to compete with the Beatles and Kinks and the Who and Eventually Led Zepplin who brought the blues back along with Creme and Eric Clapton. In 1965 Blues wasn't happening The Mercy Beat like Gerry and Pacemakers was what was in even the Dave Clark Five were trying to do it.The Stones can do blues but I don't think they would ever do a whole album of it Like Clapton has done.Fleetwood Mac and John Mayall were about the only blues bands from England other than what Creme and Led Zepplin added back then.In the 70's The Allman Brothers kept the blues alive but I don't remember too many others except maybe Fog Hat and Humble Piewith SteveMarriot not Peter Frampton
I want a mix of new bluesy hard rock from The Stones.

There is no concreate reason for them to do their disco shit again.

None.

And it is Jagger who is the problem.

Keith Richards, Ron Wood and Charlie Watts would probably do it.

But they love Mick too much to over ride him.

After all, Rolling Stones are named from a Muddy Waters tune.

All it would take is some inspiration in the studio.

Location hidden

#10928 Apr 13, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
For that, Octo, you should hand your rock and roll/Elvis CDs to someone else!
That will never happen.

My Elvis CD's stay with me and obviously I still desire more.

Since Elvis died in 1977, what have The Stones really done?

"Tattoo You" and "Voodoo Lounge" ???

Paul McCartney has even a worse track record.

All I ever here is how Elvis supposably went down hill.

Expecting something better from great musicians is my request.

I'm so glad that Elvis didn't go disco

Or have his wife sing/play on all his records.

I hear criticism on Elvis so I turn the tables.

At least, I don't have to see Elvis aging with his voice gone.

What is wrong with wanting The Stones to put out a great album?

They haven't done one since 1972.

Location hidden

#10929 Apr 13, 2013
* all I ever hear...

opps.

Location hidden

#10930 Apr 13, 2013
Well, really...1971.

"Goats Head Soup" was the last fairly decent Rolling Stones album.

Anyhow, Elvis's "It's Only Love" single was never played on pop radio yet, it is a great song.

Elvis in 1971 lost singles:

"You Don't Have To Say You Love Me"
"Patch It Up"
"There Goes My Everything"
"I Really Don't Want To Know"
"Rags To Riches"
"Where Did They Go, Lord"
"Life"
"Only Believe"
"I'm Leavin'"
"Heart Of Rome"
"It's Only Love"
"The Sound Of Your Cry"
"I Just Can't Help Believing"
"How The Web Was Woven"

Why would Elvis ever want to go back to the 50's?

The stuff was and still is mindblowing.

Elvis advanced way beyond pop radio of the time.

Location hidden

#10934 Apr 14, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Tattoo You was The Stones' last great album.
Come on Octo, you're being disingenuous.
From Elvis In Memphis was the last great Elvis album. Nothing from 1970-77 came close to that magic.
(And please continue to ignore that Aussie troll, and watch with amusement as each and every one of his posts gets automatically deleted!)
"Tattoo You" was a very good Stones album but it still wasn't the excellent "Exile On Main Street" or "Sticky Fingers" Sure, Elvis never returned to American Studios in Memphis like what he sounded in 1969 but Elvis did do some of my favorite albums in the seventies including "That's The Way It Is" "Elvis Country" "Elvis Now" "The Fool Album" "Good Times" "Promised Land" "Today" "Blvd" and "Moody Blue"

Still better than the crap The Stones delivered after "Goats Head"

A long list of crap from The Rolling Stones:

"It's Only Rock N Roll"
"Black And Blue"
"Some Girls"
"Emotional Rescue"
"Tattoo You" (their best since 1973)
"Undercover"
"Dirty Work"
"Steel Wheels"
"Voodoo Lounge"
"Stripped"
"Bridges To Babalon"
"A Bigger Bang"

And that's not counting the worst live albums ever produced for a major record label with duds like "Love You Live" "Still Life" and
"Flashpoint"
xxxxx

UK

#10936 Apr 14, 2013
Frank Murdoch wrote:
<quoted text>
...Bit hard to ignore the posts you're talking about, you dunce. They're for all the world to see and you don't seem to be able to stop them or pull them.... most likely you are that Observer Rules maniac..
Who are you Frank Murdoch,

It all come's from Australia are you king elvis too!!!?

who else.

You can be as many people as you like but you still will be you.
DENNIS HAUSER

United States

#10942 Apr 15, 2013
octo wrote:
Well, really...1971.
"Goats Head Soup" was the last fairly decent Rolling Stones album.
Anyhow, Elvis's "It's Only Love" single was never played on pop radio yet, it is a great song.
Elvis in 1971 lost singles:
"You Don't Have To Say You Love Me"
"Patch It Up"
"There Goes My Everything"
"I Really Don't Want To Know"
"Rags To Riches"
"Where Did They Go, Lord"
"Life"
"Only Believe"
"I'm Leavin'"
"Heart Of Rome"
"It's Only Love"
"The Sound Of Your Cry"
"I Just Can't Help Believing"
"How The Web Was Woven"
Why would Elvis ever want to go back to the 50's?
The stuff was and still is mindblowing.
Elvis advanced way beyond pop radio of the time.
Hey Octo!
Patch It Up and It's Only Love, are the 2 songs, I could never understand why their was not more air play. Of course everyone at the time, forgot about them, once Burning Love came out.
Of course the other thing I could never understand, was that Burning Love was beaten out at Number 1 on the charts by Chuck Berrys' My Ding-A-Ling? As Chuck would say, a cute little ditty, but beat out Burning Love?? I remember all us kids(at the time) chuckling over Chucks' song, I still do.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#10943 Apr 15, 2013
Right on,Octo,about Elvis advancing way past pop radio of the time.The sad part about Elvis's singles in the 1970's is they were for the most part cast aside by the disc jockeys and program directors at the time.Great Elvis singles like `If you talk in your sleep',`I've got a thing about you,Baby',`For ol' times sake' should have been much bigger hits than they were,but these same idiots were making smash hits out of STUPID records like `Heartbeat is a love beat'by The DeFranco Family,`Seasons in the sun'by the immortal Terry Jacks and who could forget the unforgettable classic `Junkfood Junkie',the DJ'S and radio programmers of that era sure had their priorities straight,didn't they,peace out.
Patrick

Bristol, CT

#10945 Apr 15, 2013
Elmer Jackson wrote:
All this arguing between those Ausie posters has caused me to want to open another bottle of Jack Daniels and pour myself a drink and see if I can remember all the lyrics to Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport before I starting singing . Oh yeah Tan his Hyde when he died Clyde.Maybe I can put this cover song on my next CD called Elmer sings foreign folk songs.Along with You're never going to see No Unicorn. Oh how those songs just roll off of my tongue once I've had several shots of Jack Daniels. There will be some cats and rats and Elephants as sure as your born but you're never going to see no Unicorn Yep It can be done look out Aussies I may be coming to Venue near you Mates.Lol
Funny !!!

Location hidden

#10946 Apr 15, 2013
DENNIS HAUSER wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Octo!
Patch It Up and It's Only Love, are the 2 songs, I could never understand why their was not more air play. Of course everyone at the time, forgot about them, once Burning Love came out.
Of course the other thing I could never understand, was that Burning Love was beaten out at Number 1 on the charts by Chuck Berrys' My Ding-A-Ling? As Chuck would say, a cute little ditty, but beat out Burning Love?? I remember all us kids(at the time) chuckling over Chucks' song, I still do.
It was the singer songwriter era and Elvis sold out concerts.

Radio programers simply ignored Elvis for the most part.

Anyway, Elvis was talked into recording "Burning Love" in 1972.

"It's Only Love" is a fantastic attempt at a pop hit.

I first heard it on the gray box set that was first issued in 1980.

But as you know, a number one song doesn't always make it great.

There was and still is a lot of crapola played on radio.

Since Elvis never conformed to their ideals, he wasn't listened to.

In my opinion, it really didn't matter because Elvis still sold.

Elvis fans know what songs were good and what were not hits.

"Life" and "Only Believe" might not been done for pop radio.

RCA released it to sell the leftover album, "Love Letters"

An album Elvis never wanted put out because it was too weak.

"My Ding A Ling" was a dreadful song but it was very popular.

A joke song, which happens to be Chuck Berry's only number one.

Overall though, Elvis's seventies stuff holds up quite well today.

Do I care what some people might think about their worth?

I still listen to them because they are great songs.

Elvis's performances of them make them what they are.

Location hidden

#10947 Apr 15, 2013
RICK wrote:
Right on,Octo,about Elvis advancing way past pop radio of the time.The sad part about Elvis's singles in the 1970's is they were for the most part cast aside by the disc jockeys and program directors at the time.Great Elvis singles like `If you talk in your sleep',`I've got a thing about you,Baby',`For ol' times sake' should have been much bigger hits than they were,but these same idiots were making smash hits out of STUPID records like `Heartbeat is a love beat'by The DeFranco Family,`Seasons in the sun'by the immortal Terry Jacks and who could forget the unforgettable classic `Junkfood Junkie',the DJ'S and radio programmers of that era sure had their priorities straight,didn't they,peace out.
Great songs will always be great songs.

Besides, seventies radio had its share of rubbish.

"I've Got A Thing About You, Baby" is one of my favorites.

Who cares if radio never played it?

It never goes out of style and it never gets overplayed.

Brilliant mid seventies Elvis.

Location hidden

#10949 Apr 15, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Octo yes you can criticize the old Rolling Stones beause they aren't playing what you want them to play. Ok butwho said they are trying to be on top? In my opinion they are playing and still enjoying it and continuing the Legacy. Now honestly tell me if 80 year old Elvis were still with us would you want to see him carrying on his massive legacy? I think the hip persona is still working because they still sell a lot of tickets and who knows maybe a guy like me who has never seen them live just might decide to go see them if they didn't charge 700 for an average seat. I'd pay 125 tops to see the old guys because I know it's only rock and roll but I like it Like it yes I do.
Have any of Mick Jagger's solo projects been successful? In recent years, The Rolling Stones sound just like Jagger's crappy solo stuff. The only reason he still plays with The Stones is because the live gigs bring them great returns every time they tour. I don't think Elvis would be doing live concerts today, Bubba. He never really liked the idea of getting old. Had he lived, he would've went back to making movies but would've still recorded music. At almost 80 years old, Elvis probably would be gone by now.
He was never Tom Jones. Elvis was bound to die young because of drug addiction and his mind set of his fans abandoning him. He never really thought that he was all that. BTW, I can say that I actually saw The Stones live but I would never see them again.

Location hidden

#10953 Apr 15, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>No Mick hasn't done all that well solo niether has Kieth Richards and The Expensive winos. I think Bill Wyman even had side project once. Yes the Stones still play long shows and they have huge crowds. I've heard some say they are great live and others that said that they sound crappy live. I've only seen their tours on TV and Vodoo Lounge sounded ok to me. I think the Steel Wheels tour was when I'd like to seen them.If Elvis was 80 and still alive I believe he would of been retired Because at 80 he would of looked silly singing Heart Break Hotel. Tom Jones still has a voice and the older ladies still dig him just ask your Mom.
"Voodoo Lounge" was a great tour with Mick running around the huge stage. Unfortunately, time is not on their side. I just want an electric guitar, bluesy, rock n roll album from The Rolling Stones. Not a half baked Jagger solo record or another useless Greatest Hits collection. I think Keith Richards needs to tell Mick either shape up or The Rolling Stones are done. Do it soon before it is too late. My mom doesn't like Tom Jones, Bubba. He is the inferior artist. That is why he is still around. Elvis was just too good to live forever, dude. A drug free Tom Jones could never be Elvis Presley. Elvis was superior in every way possible. He was certainly bound to die young because he was one of the kind like Jimi Hendrix.
King Elvis

Doonside, Australia

#10956 Apr 15, 2013
Elmer wrote:
Like King Elvis has stated you are a moron and a topix menace who should be ashamed and we should just ignore your stupidity
Yes "Elmer" just ignore this troll.

As you can see - again - its comments are automatically deleted by Topix.

Thanks.
Bubba

Everett, WA

#10964 Apr 17, 2013
RICK wrote:
Can't forget Hurricane Smith with BABE WHAT WOULD YOU SAY. or Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods BILLY DON'T BE A HERO-Paper Lace THE NIGHT CHICAGO DIED. A lot of 70's pop really sucked I'm glad Blue Oyster Cult and Deep Purple were around along with Foghat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The better Beatle: John Lennon or Paul McCartne... Dec 24 Greg 1
Flashback | John And Yoko's 1971 Holiday Gift F... Dec 20 Antonella Francesca 1
The year after the Beatles met E (Mar '14) Dec 20 Little monster 199
John Lennon's 1980 Sunglasses: Still available? (Aug '08) Dec 15 shawnboushie 26
Who was the most talented Beatle in your opinion? (Nov '07) Nov '14 Greg 82
[News] Drake Passes The Beatles With Latest Bil... Nov '14 TheAfroHedgehog 3
Guitarist says McCartney hit 'crazy' high notes... Nov '14 Home By The Sea 3
More from around the web