150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12899 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

RICK

Midlothian, IL

#10816 Apr 4, 2013
One of my distinct memories of Elvis when he was still alive occured on the morning of January 8,1976,I was getting ready to go to school and my mother,as always,was blasting the radio to Country music station WJJD,and the disc jockey,Jim Beadle,actually got Elvis on the phone from Graceland to wish him a happy birthday,and Elvis sounded happy to hear from him,and the disc jockey was saying that playing Elvis records was the reason he wanted to become a disc jockey,and how much he loved Elvis music and Elvis was definitely flattered and thanked Mr.Beadle for the complimentary words,with Elvis sounding his usual charming and charismatic self,without a hint of the turmoil that was going on in his life at the time,peace out.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10817 Apr 4, 2013
RICK wrote:
One of my distinct memories of Elvis when he was still alive occured on the morning of January 8,1976,I was getting ready to go to school and my mother,as always,was blasting the radio to Country music station WJJD,and the disc jockey,Jim Beadle,actually got Elvis on the phone from Graceland to wish him a happy birthday,and Elvis sounded happy to hear from him,and the disc jockey was saying that playing Elvis records was the reason he wanted to become a disc jockey,and how much he loved Elvis music and Elvis was definitely flattered and thanked Mr.Beadle for the complimentary words,with Elvis sounding his usual charming and charismatic self,without a hint of the turmoil that was going on in his life at the time,peace out.
Too bad someone didn't record it. I've heard the recording of Elvis at the Cleveland Browns football game. The DJ or interviewer wanted Elvis to buy him a car but Elvis said, "I'm not that guy" (or something to that effect) This was recorded around 1975 during a rare occasion when Elvis wasn't touring or performing an engagement in Vegas or Tahoe. I'm glad Elvis had the chance to go see a game because he loved football, which is still a favorite sport to a lot of men. Elvis was a normal guy that loved rough contact sports including karate.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10818 Apr 4, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>I could picture Elvis singing Mountain of Love by Johnny Rivers. Johnny Rivers was cool in the 60's and even into the 70's before fading away.
I've never heard Johnny Rivers "Mountain Of Love"

I know Johnny Rivers made a few 60's classics like "Secret Agent Man"

His claim to fame was playing at the Whiskey Go Go.

Another great singer of that time period was Del Shannon.

His biggest hit was "Runaway" a song Elvis sometimes did live, 1969.

Del Shannon actually was the first US act to record a Beatle song.

He covered "From Me To You" in 1963 that only peaked at #77.

I remember Tom Petty produced his failed comeback record.

Soon after that, Del Shannon killed himself in 1990.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10819 Apr 4, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that Ann Wilson still carries the extra weight.
But no one picks on her about it, do they?
Yes, Ann Wilson still has a great voice.
The performance is what should matter.
Actually, Nancy Wilson is still cute for her age.
Heart were always massive Zeppelin fans.
I like the choir on their live version of "Stairway To Heaven"
The point I'm trying to make is that Nancy Wilson gained weight.

She's been like that for at least 20 years and no one cares.

Critics and Heart fans never mention her weight gain.

Yet, Elvis gets criticism and he wasn't even fat for very long.

Why is that?

Heart might not be getting hits anymore but they still play live.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#10820 Apr 4, 2013
And to Chet Bretson,you say that you're tired of me putting down the 60's counterculture,WELL,I'M TIRED OF THE 60'S COUNTERCULTURE MEDIA DISRESPECTING AND PUTTING DOWN THE GREATEST RECORDING ARTIST OF ALL TIME,TOO,it cuts both ways,peace out.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#10821 Apr 4, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
The point I'm trying to make is that Nancy Wilson gained weight.
She's been like that for at least 20 years and no one cares.
Critics and Heart fans never mention her weight gain.
Yet, Elvis gets criticism and he wasn't even fat for very long.
Why is that?
Heart might not be getting hits anymore but they still play live.
It was Ann Wilson not Nancy. Critics did pick on her and even her old band mates told her they could make more money if she lost weight. She told them she has made enough money for a comfortable lifestyle.Being chubby doesn't bother me I still like BB King and Ann Wilson's voice is still awesome. I've seen her live and she sings even better than when she was thin in the 70's. Of course Elvis was the King nobody wanted him to ever get chubby but his loyal fans didn't care they would still flock to see him just like I do when Heart comes around. It's about the music not about the singers body size to me. Pavaroti was always fat opera fans loved him.By the way Johnny Rivers even sang a version of Hey Joe on his later album. Poor side of town was one that Elvis could of done well.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10822 Apr 4, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>It was Ann Wilson not Nancy. Critics did pick on her and even her old band mates told her they could make more money if she lost weight. She told them she has made enough money for a comfortable lifestyle.Being chubby doesn't bother me I still like BB King and Ann Wilson's voice is still awesome. I've seen her live and she sings even better than when she was thin in the 70's. Of course Elvis was the King nobody wanted him to ever get chubby but his loyal fans didn't care they would still flock to see him just like I do when Heart comes around. It's about the music not about the singers body size to me. Pavaroti was always fat opera fans loved him.By the way Johnny Rivers even sang a version of Hey Joe on his later album. Poor side of town was one that Elvis could of done well.
Opps. I did mean Ann gained weight. Typo error.

I have a two CD set of "The Essential Heart"

They are one of the best female classic rock bands around.

Their 80's, early 90's comeback period matched the earlier stuff.

I like Johnny Rivers music. He is a bit under rated as a musician.

It is strange that Elvis never covered any Johnny Rivers tunes.

"Poor Side Of Town" was good but its not the only great song.
King Elvis

Dee Why, Australia

#10823 Apr 4, 2013
RICK wrote:
And to Chet Bretson,you say that you're tired of me putting down the 60's counterculture,WELL,I'M TIRED OF THE 60'S COUNTERCULTURE MEDIA DISRESPECTING AND PUTTING DOWN THE GREATEST RECORDING ARTIST OF ALL TIME,TOO,it cuts both ways,peace out.
If only you could have provide one example of this ...
King Elvis

Dee Why, Australia

#10824 Apr 4, 2013
RICK wrote:
One of my distinct memories of Elvis when he was still alive occured on the morning of January 8,1976,I was getting ready to go to school and my mother,as always,was blasting the radio to Country music station WJJD,and the disc jockey,Jim Beadle,actually got Elvis on the phone from Graceland to wish him a happy birthday
Just one problem with that story, Dick.

Elvis, as every self-respecting fan knows, spent his 41st birthday on vacation in Vail, Colorado, and was nowhere near Graceland.

He did not speak to some obscure country DJ on his birthday.

What you heard, if indeed you heard anything as opposed to just making it up, was an impersonator or someone at the station playing a prank. Childhood memories do that. You did not hear Elvis.
Lee

Valencia, CA

#10826 Apr 4, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never heard Johnny Rivers "Mountain Of Love"
I know Johnny Rivers made a few 60's classics like "Secret Agent Man"
His claim to fame was playing at the Whiskey Go Go.
Another great singer of that time period was Del Shannon.
His biggest hit was "Runaway" a song Elvis sometimes did live, 1969.
Del Shannon actually was the first US act to record a Beatle song.
He covered "From Me To You" in 1963 that only peaked at #77.
I remember Tom Petty produced his failed comeback record.
Soon after that, Del Shannon killed himself in 1990.
Del Shannon Killed himself? Why?
Chet

Seattle, WA

#10827 Apr 4, 2013
Lee wrote:
<quoted text>Del Shannon Killed himself? Why?
I think he got tired of running away.
Bret

Seattle, WA

#10828 Apr 4, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Just one problem with that story, Dick.
Elvis, as every self-respecting fan knows, spent his 41st birthday on vacation in Vail, Colorado, and was nowhere near Graceland.
He did not speak to some obscure country DJ on his birthday.
What you heard, if indeed you heard anything as opposed to just making it up, was an impersonator or someone at the station playing a prank. Childhood memories do that. You did not hear Elvis.
I've heard a lot of people that could sound like Elvis when he talked. it could of been an imposter perhaps.Still haven't seen any sixties counter culture in print that puts Elvis down have you?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10829 Apr 4, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Just one problem with that story, Dick.
Elvis, as every self-respecting fan knows, spent his 41st birthday on vacation in Vail, Colorado, and was nowhere near Graceland.
He did not speak to some obscure country DJ on his birthday.
What you heard, if indeed you heard anything as opposed to just making it up, was an impersonator or someone at the station playing a prank. Childhood memories do that. You did not hear Elvis.
Yeah, Elvis was in Vail, Colorado that week, starting on the 4th.

Elvis rode his snowmobile down a mountain.

Anyway, The National Enquirer did a story and took pictures.

Elvis on his snowmobile in a snow suit and goggles.

It was called, "Elvis: The Night Stalker"

I was a little kid but I remember seeing the tabloid at the market.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10830 Apr 4, 2013
Lee wrote:
<quoted text>Del Shannon Killed himself? Why?
From what I've read, Del Shannon battled depression for years.

I think he shot himself in the head.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10831 Apr 4, 2013
Bret wrote:
<quoted text>I've heard a lot of people that could sound like Elvis when he talked. it could of been an imposter perhaps.Still haven't seen any sixties counter culture in print that puts Elvis down have you?
Perhaps, they pre recorded it and played it on Elvis's birthday.

It is possible.

Who knows?

I have radio bits on certain boots with Wolfman Jack.

He was talking about Elvis and played "Steamroller Blues"

I have taped phone conversations with Elvis on a line.

Weird stuff that you'd never know existed.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#10832 Apr 4, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps, they pre recorded it and played it on Elvis's birthday.
It is possible.
Who knows?
I have radio bits on certain boots with Wolfman Jack.
He was talking about Elvis and played "Steamroller Blues"
I have taped phone conversations with Elvis on a line.
Weird stuff that you'd never know existed.
Wolfman Jack was real cool. I remember he used to host Midnight special the concert show in the 70's. Don Kirsner and Midnight Special were both great concert shows we used to watch back then.
King Elvis

Dee Why, Australia

#10833 Apr 4, 2013
Bret wrote:
<quoted text>I've heard a lot of people that could sound like Elvis when he talked. it could of been an imposter perhaps.Still haven't seen any sixties counter culture in print that puts Elvis down have you?
No, I haven't.

Rick is full of shit, and a conspiracy theorist.

Still can't/won't provide any examples to back up his moronic claims.

Meanwhile, he refuses to acknowledge the link to the Rolling Stone Elvis bio that more than one of us provided, which GLOWS about Elvis.
King Elvis

Dee Why, Australia

#10834 Apr 4, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps, they pre recorded it and played it on Elvis's birthday.
It is possible.
Sorry Octo, but no.

It would have been at least rumoured or mentioned by now.

The '75 football game "interview" is a perfect example. Rumoured for years, then finally surfaced (with or without The Colonel's approval)?

Whatever Dick heard, it sure wasn't Elvis.
King Elvis

Dee Why, Australia

#10835 Apr 4, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Elvis was in Vail, Colorado that week, starting on the 4th.
Elvis rode his snowmobile down a mountain.
Anyway, The National Enquirer did a story and took pictures.
Elvis on his snowmobile in a snow suit and goggles.
It was called, "Elvis: The Night Stalker"
I was a little kid but I remember seeing the tabloid at the market.
Yeah.

During that week, Elvis did speak to an Aussie journalist called Piers Akerman, who happened to be holidaying there at the time; but it was an informal, quick meeting.

Part 1:

Brush with Elvis on a slippery slope
By Piers Akerman
(Daily Telegraph, August 15, 2002, p.28)
MOST reporters have their share of stories of their brushes with the famed and the infamous.
Working in Hollywood in the 1970s, those in the swim or who wished to give the impression they were dropped first names into the pond on the assumption there was only one Jack (Nicholson), Warren (Beatty), Roman (Polanski), Marlon (Brando) or Elvis.
Elvis, the King, was the Boss before Bruce Springsteen even picked up his first guitar.
I feel a little uneasy dropping names, but hey, tomorrow is the anniversary of his death, so here -- for the first time -- is the story of my encounter with The Legend.
The last time I spoke to Elvis Presley, it was well after midnight on a snowy trail above the Colorado ski resort of Vail.
He was, as was his wont, surrounded by members of the Memphis Mafia -- the slim Red West, the chunkier Sonny West and the lean Dave Hebler.
Running protection further out were members of the Vail sheriff's department, a number of whom had been given new Cadillacs by Elvis for the personal attention they paid to his security when he was in town.
The award-winning photo grapher, Mickey Brennan, who had been asked to capture the King, says he thinks it must have been in 1976, possibly a little earlier, as Susan Ford, daughter of stop-gap US president Gerald Ford, was also in town.
Unfortunately, the files of the newspapers we were then reporting for are no longer open to us, so short of flying to the US, I cannot pin the dates down more accurately.
Elvis looked bloated, and he was on pills -- handfuls of them -- and didn't attempt to hide the fact during the week we spent with him at the Vail resort.
He was big and the zippered ski suit he wore made him look even bigger.
He wasn't there for the skiing, though -- he was a snow-mobiler, and the local sheriff and a handful of his men would meet after the resort town was winding down at night and take him snow-mobiling on the trails across the snowy slopes.
In those pre-Crocodile Dundee days, an Australian accent was a rare commodity in the US. Playing the kangaroo card to Mickey Brennan's quick-witted Fleet Street routine, we finally found ourselves invited into the inner circle of the entourage.
Elvis was generous with his time, posed on his ski mobile, talked of his friends in the sheriff's department, asked about Australia, and seemed pleased to be able to help us do our jobs.
Most times it is the biggest stars who are the most gracious and those whose careers are going nowhere who have difficulty with their fans and the media.
We talked about politics, about his great fan, the former US president Richard Nixon, about his music and his life. He was very proud of a badge Nixon had given him at the White House, enlisting him in the fight against drugs.
Months later a very different picture emerged when the West cousins, along with Hebler, called on me in Los Angeles to say they had split with their boss and were afraid for their lives.
They were serious. Elvis, they believed, had put a contract out on them because they had decided to break with him. They were armed and fearful and wanted a place to hide.
There was to be a quid pro quo, however, and within 24 hours they had agreed to sit down with a writer and provide a detailed insight into the private life of one of the last century's most amazing entertainers.
King Elvis

Dee Why, Australia

#10836 Apr 4, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Elvis was in Vail, Colorado that week, starting on the 4th.
Yes.

During that week, Elvis did speak with an Australian journalist called Piers Akerman, but it was a quick, informal meeting.

Part 1:

Brush with Elvis on a slippery slope
By Piers Akerman
(Daily Telegraph, August 15, 2002, p.28)
MOST reporters have their share of stories of their brushes with the famed and the infamous.
Working in Hollywood in the 1970s, those in the swim or who wished to give the impression they were dropped first names into the pond on the assumption there was only one Jack (Nicholson), Warren (Beatty), Roman (Polanski), Marlon (Brando) or Elvis.
Elvis, the King, was the Boss before Bruce Springsteen even picked up his first guitar.
I feel a little uneasy dropping names, but hey, tomorrow is the anniversary of his death, so here -- for the first time -- is the story of my encounter with The Legend.
The last time I spoke to Elvis Presley, it was well after midnight on a snowy trail above the Colorado ski resort of Vail.
He was, as was his wont, surrounded by members of the Memphis Mafia -- the slim Red West, the chunkier Sonny West and the lean Dave Hebler.
Running protection further out were members of the Vail sheriff's department, a number of whom had been given new Cadillacs by Elvis for the personal attention they paid to his security when he was in town.
The award-winning photo grapher, Mickey Brennan, who had been asked to capture the King, says he thinks it must have been in 1976, possibly a little earlier, as Susan Ford, daughter of stop-gap US president Gerald Ford, was also in town.
Unfortunately, the files of the newspapers we were then reporting for are no longer open to us, so short of flying to the US, I cannot pin the dates down more accurately.
Elvis looked bloated, and he was on pills -- handfuls of them -- and didn't attempt to hide the fact during the week we spent with him at the Vail resort.
He was big and the zippered ski suit he wore made him look even bigger.
He wasn't there for the skiing, though -- he was a snow-mobiler, and the local sheriff and a handful of his men would meet after the resort town was winding down at night and take him snow-mobiling on the trails across the snowy slopes.
In those pre-Crocodile Dundee days, an Australian accent was a rare commodity in the US. Playing the kangaroo card to Mickey Brennan's quick-witted Fleet Street routine, we finally found ourselves invited into the inner circle of the entourage.
Elvis was generous with his time, posed on his ski mobile, talked of his friends in the sheriff's department, asked about Australia, and seemed pleased to be able to help us do our jobs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Rise and Fall of Phil Spector (Apr '09) Jun '17 SLICK PUTZ PENCE 2
News Mourners pay tribute to Judge Barron (Dec '08) May '17 In the know 14
News The worst idea the Beatles ever had May '17 Declining Popularity 1
News Satellite radio's SiriusXM is debuting Beatles ... May '17 Declining Popularity 2
Poll The Beatles vs Led Zeppelin (Sep '11) May '17 Declining Popularity 102
Poll Is Ringo's Nose bigger than Mick Jagger's Lips? (Oct '07) May '17 Atsa Lotsa Teefs 28
Imagine if John Lennon was not "neutralized" by... Apr '17 justicewell 1
More from around the web