150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12901 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Elmer Jackson

Seattle, WA

#10795 Mar 29, 2013
I'm still waiting for Rolling Stone magazine to put out a special on me. I've been bumming and drinking and living the hobo life for over 25 years and they never mention me and all the songs I've sang.I've even done a tribute concert to the late Boxcar Willie but still no mention of me Elmer the almost famous singing hobo.Many other hobos would buy a copy if they ever printed it up. But no they refuse because I'm not pretty.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10796 Mar 29, 2013
I don't think Rolling Stone has to put Elvis on the cover or do stories on him. It is mainly a sixties culture publication that in more recent times, put models on their covers. Its format is much smaller nowadays too. Anyway, they did put Elvis on one of their 8 x 10 covers in an issue called, "The 100 Greatest Singers Of All Time" a few years back. I certainly was surprised and put the cover in a frame that I keep on a wall with my other Elvis art. Even though Rolling Stone is favors The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Stones, Zeppelin and others...I am satisfied by their treatment of Elvis. He really doesn't need them when he can still get 75 thousand fans flocking to Graceland on the 35th. No one else does that. The king will always be remembered and loved by his true fans. That is all that is really important. Besides, I'm looking forward to the new Asheville import show from 1975. Do I care what the Rolling Stone might have in their publication?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10797 Mar 29, 2013
Elmer Jackson wrote:
I'm still waiting for Rolling Stone magazine to put out a special on me. I've been bumming and drinking and living the hobo life for over 25 years and they never mention me and all the songs I've sang.I've even done a tribute concert to the late Boxcar Willie but still no mention of me Elmer the almost famous singing hobo.Many other hobos would buy a copy if they ever printed it up. But no they refuse because I'm not pretty.
Poor Box Car Willie and Slim Whitman...

They never got much attention but both sold more than Elvis.

Do you remember those ridiculous television ads in the late 70's?

Anyway, Box Car Willie at least had a different pure country act.

I made fun of Box Car Willie and Slim Whitman at the time.

Elmer Jackson And The Traveling Willies could sell CD's on TV.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10799 Mar 30, 2013
Elmer Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>Now your talking man. The Traveling Willies would like that especially Willie Joe our drummer. I remember that T.V. ad claiming Slim Whitman has sold more records than Elvis or the Beatles. My Dad had a Slim Whitman tape he played when I rode in his van. Man I hated that tape.I guess I'll have to contact Ronco records and tell them me and Willie Merle would like to be bigger stars someday.
My dad played "Wings At The Speed Of Sound" in his car on 8 track.

It is unfortunate you had to hear Slim Whitman, Bubba.

It was funny that those tv ads actually were once shown.

They did get some people buying them, which was comical to me.

I don't think it would work today but maybe Elmer could try it.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#10800 Apr 1, 2013
When you really think about it,Octopus Brain,you're right on the money,Elvis doesn't need this 60's counterculture elitest magazine,the mass success and the loyal and unprecedented love of The King more than bypasses these people,and Elvis's fans are not aging,burned out hippies,either,as you said in an earlier post,this magazine only caters to them,in all honesty,none of the artists they favor are as beloved as Elvis,because us Elvis fans possess a quality that most people who grew up in that era and who read that magazine sorely lack,SENTIMENTALITY,peace out.
Chet Bretson

Bothell, WA

#10801 Apr 1, 2013
RICK wrote:
When you really think about it,Octopus Brain,you're right on the money,Elvis doesn't need this 60's counterculture elitest magazine,the mass success and the loyal and unprecedented love of The King more than bypasses these people,and Elvis's fans are not aging,burned out hippies,either,as you said in an earlier post,this magazine only caters to them,in all honesty,none of the artists they favor are as beloved as Elvis,because us Elvis fans possess a quality that most people who grew up in that era and who read that magazine sorely lack,SENTIMENTALITY,peace out.
Yep Elvis fans aren't burned out hippies they are 50's greasers and bobby sox girls you'd see at the sock hop bopping to the Big Bopper singing Chantily Lace. Life magazine- Look magazine had Elvis on the cover so did T.V, guide I am sick and tired of Rick putting down the sixties culture because Elvis was still a part of it too along with of course the Beatles and the rest of the British Bands and the BeachBoys.Elvis wasn't in the spot light after 1962 but we all know he was still very Popular and so what if Rolling Stone magazine mostly favors the sixties it wasn't around in the 50's when Elvis came out. I have never seen a negative article on Elvis printed in Rolling Stone magazine.No bias it's just Elvis was before the Rolling Stone Magazine started out.Dylan was more likely to on the cover because he was a sixties folk hero not glamourous hip swaying King slicked down hair- do Elvis.Elvis got plenty of attention and still does so enough already.
Dennis Hauser

United States

#10802 Apr 2, 2013
Chet Bretson wrote:
<quoted text>Yep Elvis fans aren't burned out hippies they are 50's greasers and bobby sox girls you'd see at the sock hop bopping to the Big Bopper singing Chantily Lace. Life magazine- Look magazine had Elvis on the cover so did T.V, guide I am sick and tired of Rick putting down the sixties culture because Elvis was still a part of it too along with of course the Beatles and the rest of the British Bands and the BeachBoys.Elvis wasn't in the spot light after 1962 but we all know he was still very Popular and so what if Rolling Stone magazine mostly favors the sixties it wasn't around in the 50's when Elvis came out. I have never seen a negative article on Elvis printed in Rolling Stone magazine.No bias it's just Elvis was before the Rolling Stone Magazine started out.Dylan was more likely to on the cover because he was a sixties folk hero not glamourous hip swaying King slicked down hair- do Elvis.Elvis got plenty of attention and still does so enough already.
I can see and understand where both Rick and Chet is saying. When it comes to the 60's and concerning Elvis, a few things come to mind. The Frank Sinatra special. Elvis Presley helped raise money and bring attention to help build the USS Arizona Memorial. Elvis' movies, which none lost money!!(which gave us Can't Help Falling In Love with You, Blue Hawaii, Return to Sender,Flaming Star,Viva Las Vegas,etc.) His''68 NBC Special and the great recordings from, From Elvis in Memphis ( which gave us In the Ghetto) then the follow up of his other great American Sound Studio recordings,Suspicious Minds,Don't Cry Daddy and Kentucky Rain.(recorded in 1969)

"Suspicious Minds"
Elmer Jackson

Renton, WA

#10803 Apr 2, 2013
I recently asked Lady Gaga if I could be her opening act but she refused me saying she was afraid that I might spill some alcohol on her silly assed meat dress. I wouldn't wear something like that no matter how drunk I get. Elmer had standards and My checkered shirts and coveralls are my trademarks. Too bad Minnie Pearl is already dead I think she would of let me be her opening act yes sir Elmer and Minnie what a show that could of been. Still singing and drinking after 30 years .

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10804 Apr 2, 2013
RICK wrote:
When you really think about it,Octopus Brain,you're right on the money,Elvis doesn't need this 60's counterculture elitest magazine,the mass success and the loyal and unprecedented love of The King more than bypasses these people,and Elvis's fans are not aging,burned out hippies,either,as you said in an earlier post,this magazine only caters to them,in all honesty,none of the artists they favor are as beloved as Elvis,because us Elvis fans possess a quality that most people who grew up in that era and who read that magazine sorely lack,SENTIMENTALITY,peace out.
When I first went to see the TCB Band play, there were a lot of bikers.

People assume that all Elvis fans are the same and it is not true.

There were a large cross section of people from all walks of life.

Anyway, the Elvis imports and bootleg stuff is what I crave.

I remember going to a record fair and asked dealers for Elvis...

This old hippie dude was quite rude but I had $300 to spend.

He had Elvis Costello and snickered at my request for the king.

So happens, this other dealer had what I was looking for.

The old hippie dude sat there pissed when I bought all her CD's.

Of course, it was all Elvis Presley.

It was funny as hell.

I don't sweat Elvis's popularity. I don't ever have to.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10805 Apr 2, 2013
Chet Bretson wrote:
<quoted text>Yep Elvis fans aren't burned out hippies they are 50's greasers and bobby sox girls you'd see at the sock hop bopping to the Big Bopper singing Chantily Lace. Life magazine- Look magazine had Elvis on the cover so did T.V, guide I am sick and tired of Rick putting down the sixties culture because Elvis was still a part of it too along with of course the Beatles and the rest of the British Bands and the BeachBoys.Elvis wasn't in the spot light after 1962 but we all know he was still very Popular and so what if Rolling Stone magazine mostly favors the sixties it wasn't around in the 50's when Elvis came out. I have never seen a negative article on Elvis printed in Rolling Stone magazine.No bias it's just Elvis was before the Rolling Stone Magazine started out.Dylan was more likely to on the cover because he was a sixties folk hero not glamourous hip swaying King slicked down hair- do Elvis.Elvis got plenty of attention and still does so enough already.
I'm only 47 years old and never saw the 50's.

Rolling Stone had Elvis on the cover in his black leather suit.

This was in 1968 or 1969.

Elvis doesn't need Rolling Stone but sometimes, they do cover him.

Elvis's memorial issue in September, 1977 is their biggest seller.

No one has ever topped it yet.

I have a print of that issue and on the back, it said just that.

You can not get enough Beatles AND I can not get enough Elvis.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#10806 Apr 2, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm only 47 years old and never saw the 50's.
Rolling Stone had Elvis on the cover in his black leather suit.
This was in 1968 or 1969.
Elvis doesn't need Rolling Stone but sometimes, they do cover him.
Elvis's memorial issue in September, 1977 is their biggest seller.
No one has ever topped it yet.
I have a print of that issue and on the back, it said just that.
You can not get enough Beatles AND I can not get enough Elvis.
Hang on to that issue Octo. It will be a collector item. It probably already is. Elvis looked better in his leather suit. I never liked the big collar jumpsuits he wore in Vegas. The 1968 come back gig is still my favorite of him playing and singing and looking like he was having a great time.I'm sure his Vegas shows were good but I liked his rebel look better. It looked more rock and roll to me.I was just a little kid when Elvis came out. By age 10 I started to realize who he was. I think I even saw a couple of his movies.I was 10 in 1963 and the Beatles on Ed Sullivan was what we gathered around the black and white T.V. set to watch. It seems so long ago but we didn't have a colored T.V. until about 1968.I wished Elvis and John Fogerty could of done a couple of songs together.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10807 Apr 2, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Hang on to that issue Octo. It will be a collector item. It probably already is. Elvis looked better in his leather suit. I never liked the big collar jumpsuits he wore in Vegas. The 1968 come back gig is still my favorite of him playing and singing and looking like he was having a great time.I'm sure his Vegas shows were good but I liked his rebel look better. It looked more rock and roll to me.I was just a little kid when Elvis came out. By age 10 I started to realize who he was. I think I even saw a couple of his movies.I was 10 in 1963 and the Beatles on Ed Sullivan was what we gathered around the black and white T.V. set to watch. It seems so long ago but we didn't have a colored T.V. until about 1968.I wished Elvis and John Fogerty could of done a couple of songs together.
The Rolling Stone collector's print is the 1977 issue.

It has a young Elvis on the cover "Elvis Presley 1935-1977"

No other print, which is very unusual.

I kind of like the jumpsuit years, Bubba. Elvis still rocked, man.

As far as the 60's go, Elvis still did some great stuff.

He changed as he went along and the songs did improve by 1968.

But Elvis was still under contract to the movie studios.

I know Elvis dug CCR and later covered "Proud Mary"

I love Elvis's 70's albums and concerts the best.

It gave him a chance to update his act with a balance of old/new.

He was the greatest live artist up until that time. Perfection.

Elvis didn't really have to kiss up to the sixties culture.

He was on his own plane.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#10808 Apr 3, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
The Rolling Stone collector's print is the 1977 issue.
It has a young Elvis on the cover "Elvis Presley 1935-1977"
No other print, which is very unusual.
I kind of like the jumpsuit years, Bubba. Elvis still rocked, man.
As far as the 60's go, Elvis still did some great stuff.
He changed as he went along and the songs did improve by 1968.
But Elvis was still under contract to the movie studios.
I know Elvis dug CCR and later covered "Proud Mary"
I love Elvis's 70's albums and concerts the best.
It gave him a chance to update his act with a balance of old/new.
He was the greatest live artist up until that time. Perfection.
Elvis didn't really have to kiss up to the sixties culture.
He was on his own plane.
He did have to incorporate some 60's songs into his act to keep it updated. Cool that he chose Creedence-Beatles-Tony Joe White. I think Elvis would of been good doing swamp rock like Polk Salad Annie and that type of music along with some rockabilly like when he first started out mixed with some blues.That would make for a pretty good show but you'd know better than me because I never followed his career.I'm just glad he never did any disco it would of ruined it for him.I believe he would of been cool doing Jumping Jack Flash or something like that from the Stones. He had a way of making a song his own no matter who wrote it. Did he ever do Susie Q ? It would of fit his style well.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10809 Apr 3, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>He did have to incorporate some 60's songs into his act to keep it updated. Cool that he chose Creedence-Beatles-Tony Joe White. I think Elvis would of been good doing swamp rock like Polk Salad Annie and that type of music along with some rockabilly like when he first started out mixed with some blues.That would make for a pretty good show but you'd know better than me because I never followed his career.I'm just glad he never did any disco it would of ruined it for him.I believe he would of been cool doing Jumping Jack Flash or something like that from the Stones. He had a way of making a song his own no matter who wrote it. Did he ever do Susie Q ? It would of fit his style well.
Elvis started his new 1969 Las Vegas engagement with a blast.

Updated, high speed versions of 50's hits and his current materiel.

But by 1971, Elvis added more ballads and standards.

I can understand why Elvis did that.

He wanted to showcase his vocal skills and balance the show.

And Elvis chose some great songs.

But no artist can make everybody happy.

Elvis did the songs that he wanted to do within his set list.

He did play "Susie Q" once or twice but that was it.

The version I have is from 1975.

I don't think Elvis liked The Rolling Stones, Bubba.
Bubba

Bothell, WA

#10810 Apr 3, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Elvis started his new 1969 Las Vegas engagement with a blast.
Updated, high speed versions of 50's hits and his current materiel.
But by 1971, Elvis added more ballads and standards.
I can understand why Elvis did that.
He wanted to showcase his vocal skills and balance the show.
And Elvis chose some great songs.
But no artist can make everybody happy.
Elvis did the songs that he wanted to do within his set list.
He did play "Susie Q" once or twice but that was it.
The version I have is from 1975.
I don't think Elvis liked The Rolling Stones, Bubba.
yeah I can't imagine Elvis singing hey you get off of my cloud. LOL Elvis and Johnny Rivers would of been cool doing a duet. I can imagine Elvis singing Yes it is by the Beatles since it was a good slow song.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10811 Apr 3, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>yeah I can't imagine Elvis singing hey you get off of my cloud. LOL Elvis and Johnny Rivers would of been cool doing a duet. I can imagine Elvis singing Yes it is by the Beatles since it was a good slow song.
I think Elvis had a good feel for the songs that he did chose. That is why the ballads are so sincere. I really don't picture Elvis singing "Yes It Is" Elvis liked James Brown but couldn't get into Stones. Johnny Rivers stole the arrangement of Elvis's excellent cover of Chuck Berry's "Memphis, Tennessee" when Elvis made the mistake of playing him his demo he was working on. I think it pissed Elvis off a little. I do like Johnny Rivers though. Great singer, great musician.
Bubba

Bothell, WA

#10812 Apr 3, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Elvis had a good feel for the songs that he did chose. That is why the ballads are so sincere. I really don't picture Elvis singing "Yes It Is" Elvis liked James Brown but couldn't get into Stones. Johnny Rivers stole the arrangement of Elvis's excellent cover of Chuck Berry's "Memphis, Tennessee" when Elvis made the mistake of playing him his demo he was working on. I think it pissed Elvis off a little. I do like Johnny Rivers though. Great singer, great musician.
I could picture Elvis singing Mountain of Love by Johnny Rivers. Johnny Rivers was cool in the 60's and even into the 70's before fading away.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10813 Apr 3, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>I could picture Elvis singing Mountain of Love by Johnny Rivers. Johnny Rivers was cool in the 60's and even into the 70's before fading away.
A few years ago, a friend sent me a live Johnny Rivers CD from 1999.

The dude is still out there playing.

Anyway, Johnny Rivers kicks ass.

His last big hit was "Slow Dancing" in the late 70's.

BTW, did you see the Obama Kennedy Award tribute to Led Zeppelin?

Check out Heart doing an incredible version of "Stairway To Heaven"

Jason Bonham on drums.

I found it on You Tube. The Wilson Sisters still have the goods.
Bubba

Bothell, WA

#10814 Apr 3, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
A few years ago, a friend sent me a live Johnny Rivers CD from 1999.
The dude is still out there playing.
Anyway, Johnny Rivers kicks ass.
His last big hit was "Slow Dancing" in the late 70's.
BTW, did you see the Obama Kennedy Award tribute to Led Zeppelin?
Check out Heart doing an incredible version of "Stairway To Heaven"
Jason Bonham on drums.
I found it on You Tube. The Wilson Sisters still have the goods.
The Wilson Sisters can rock. Several years ago they had John Paul Jones from Zepplin play a couple of gigs with them. Ann Wilson has the best voice of all the women in Rock.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10815 Apr 3, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>The Wilson Sisters can rock. Several years ago they had John Paul Jones from Zepplin play a couple of gigs with them. Ann Wilson has the best voice of all the women in Rock.
I see that Ann Wilson still carries the extra weight.

But no one picks on her about it, do they?

Yes, Ann Wilson still has a great voice.

The performance is what should matter.

Actually, Nancy Wilson is still cute for her age.

Heart were always massive Zeppelin fans.

I like the choir on their live version of "Stairway To Heaven"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Satellite radio's SiriusXM is debuting Beatles ... 17 hr PrinterBench Tech 3
News The Rise and Fall of Phil Spector (Apr '09) Jun '17 SLICK PUTZ PENCE 2
News Mourners pay tribute to Judge Barron (Dec '08) May '17 In the know 14
News The worst idea the Beatles ever had May '17 Declining Popularity 1
Poll The Beatles vs Led Zeppelin (Sep '11) May '17 Declining Popularity 102
Poll Is Ringo's Nose bigger than Mick Jagger's Lips? (Oct '07) May '17 Atsa Lotsa Teefs 28
Imagine if John Lennon was not "neutralized" by... Apr '17 justicewell 1
More from around the web