150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12898 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

RICK

Midlothian, IL

#10540 Mar 18, 2013
You're right on the money,Octo,ELVIS WILL ALWAYS RULE BECAUSE HE'S THE KING OF ROCK AND ROLL,and it amazes me how much artists like Paul Mccartney and Billy Joel and others are filled with so much pure JEALOUSY of the man,as well as the 60's counterculture influenced media as well,JEALOUS of the enduring love and adoration of The King that has continued strong and unwavering during his life AND BEYOND FOR SO MANY DECADES.These artists are jealous because they know they don't have a chance in hell of EVER achieving anything REMOTELY similar in their own careers,and their negative comments only underscores this fact,along with being annoyingly PETTY as well,but,when you're THE TOP DOG,they'll always be the detractors ready to fire their bows and arrows,peace out.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10542 Mar 18, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah you guys have had a harsh Winter this year. It's cool that you found a house you like.I heard one song off of Eric Clapton's new CD it was pretty good but I'd like to hear he rest of it before I buy it.
I haven't heard Clapton's new song but like The Stones new songs.

The second song after the single, "Doom And Gloom" was pretty good.

It's very rare to like a new song by such an old band.

I wonder why The Stones just didn't make a full album of new stuff.

They put out "Forty Licks" just 10 years ago.

Another "Greatest Hits" was useless.

But anyway, "Still A Fool" was a cover of an old Muddy Waters tune.

Hearing it on You Tube, I can tell it was a little rough.

They should have polished it up for release but never did.

As for Clapton, I liked his "Beyond The Sun" period.

That was one of my favorite Clapton albums in the eighties.

"Forever Man" was a smaller hit but I remember it from MTV.

The house is a lot bigger than my other house.

It also has more land around us in a more quiet neighborhood.

I didn't expect to move but half of the house was already mine.

My dad's second wife passed away as a living trust.

I just had to buy my sister out of my share.

Of course, winter sucks. I like spring and summer better.

Location hidden

#10543 Mar 18, 2013
RICK wrote:
You're right on the money,Octo,ELVIS WILL ALWAYS RULE BECAUSE HE'S THE KING OF ROCK AND ROLL,and it amazes me how much artists like Paul Mccartney and Billy Joel and others are filled with so much pure JEALOUSY of the man,as well as the 60's counterculture influenced media as well,JEALOUS of the enduring love and adoration of The King that has continued strong and unwavering during his life AND BEYOND FOR SO MANY DECADES.These artists are jealous because they know they don't have a chance in hell of EVER achieving anything REMOTELY similar in their own careers,and their negative comments only underscores this fact,along with being annoyingly PETTY as well,but,when you're THE TOP DOG,they'll always be the detractors ready to fire their bows and arrows,peace out.
I don't think other artists are jealous of Elvis.

It is just that some people have no clue how loyal Elvis fans are.

Besides, his sales are not why I continue to love Elvis's music.

To me, it doesn't matter if Elvis remains popular or not.

Elvis didn't care about how much he sold.

He made the albums and the singles, then made another one.

Of course, I think his late 60's to 70's stuff was his best.

Paul McCartney is a lot older than Elvis ever got to be.

I know he likes being an ex Beatle.

But I don't think he cares what is popular now because he is older.

It is stupid to make it a contest because Elvis is still Elvis.

I collect the imports and continue to enjoy them at this late date.

Who really cares what someone might think?

Elvis is still exciting to me over 35 years and counting...

That is his legacy. His talent, his personality and his music.

Location hidden

#10544 Mar 18, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Can you show a quote from Sir Paul or Billy Joel indicating that they sound jealous? Paul has had close to the same amount of sucess as a Beatle and as a solo artist. Maybe not the same movie star status but musically he has become close to equal without a King title which he doesn't need anyway.Yes sometimes the top dog has some people taking jabs at them but really I don't think Billy Joel is even close to the same league as Elvis or McCartney and for the most part I think Paul and Billy Joel have mutual respect for Elvis and his music.
There are people who are jealous of Elvis.

But I don't think it is Paul McCartney or Billy Joel.

Anyway, Elvis did very well alive and dead because of his fans.

He really doesn't have to compare with other artists.

I think Elvis is basically a collector's artist today.

If one seeks out more Elvis, it is there.

Paul McCartney is too focused on being Paul to care what others do.

Location hidden

#10545 Mar 18, 2013
What I mean is that the people who are jealous...

Are more likely people who do not know Elvis.

Paul knows Elvis and so does Billy Joel.

The rockers that grew up exposed to Elvis growing up.
Bubba

Seattle, WA

#10546 Mar 18, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
There are people who are jealous of Elvis.
But I don't think it is Paul McCartney or Billy Joel.
Anyway, Elvis did very well alive and dead because of his fans.
He really doesn't have to compare with other artists.
I think Elvis is basically a collector's artist today.
If one seeks out more Elvis, it is there.
Paul McCartney is too focused on being Paul to care what others do.
Right on Octo. Elvis will always be huge .His fan base is millions and millions. Maybe Jerry Lee Lewis was Jealous I don't know.I can't compare anyone to Elvis because he was one of a Kind and there will never be another like him or the Beatles.I'd like to see Eric Clapton and Kieth Richards start a super group I watched Hail Hail Rock and Roll again yesterday Those two with Robert Cray sure sounded good backing up Chuck Berry.Billy Joel has had several songs I like but I only have one CD by him. I like the video for Keeping the Faith it's cool. I like him much better than Bruce Stringbean. LOL
King Elvis

Dee Why, Australia

#10547 Mar 18, 2013
RICK wrote:
Feel free to post any link or info that shows Billy Joel or Paul McCartney are jealous of Elvis.

They are both ON RECORD with how much they love Elvis, so you go right ahead and show us why your statement is true.

Or any info that shows anti-Elvis bias from the media.

Anything at all.
King Elvis

Dee Why, Australia

#10548 Mar 18, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Right on Octo. Elvis will always be huge .His fan base is millions and millions. Maybe Jerry Lee Lewis was Jealous I don't know
He might have been jealous in the early days, but he loves Elvis now and has for years.

Why else would he have agreed to to that "Class of '55" thing with Cash, Perkins and Orbison, and their tribute song to him?

Last year on The View, Jerry Lee described Elvis as a "jewel of a person".

Location hidden

#10549 Mar 18, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Right on Octo. Elvis will always be huge .His fan base is millions and millions. Maybe Jerry Lee Lewis was Jealous I don't know.I can't compare anyone to Elvis because he was one of a Kind and there will never be another like him or the Beatles.I'd like to see Eric Clapton and Kieth Richards start a super group I watched Hail Hail Rock and Roll again yesterday Those two with Robert Cray sure sounded good backing up Chuck Berry.Billy Joel has had several songs I like but I only have one CD by him. I like the video for Keeping the Faith it's cool. I like him much better than Bruce Stringbean. LOL
Maybe, it is certain artists fans are the jealous ones.

But I wouldn't know why because Elvis has been dead for 35 years.

Jimi Hendrix has been dead 42 years and has a brand new CD release.

I just picked it up at Walmart this evening.

12 unreleased studio recordings called, "People, Hell And Angels"

It looked interesting for the unknown blues tracks.

I'm kind of curious.(I'll listen to it tonight on headphones)

I am quite surprised by the bulk of materiel Hendrix left behind.

He only recorded a few short years, you know.

I saw one lone copy of Clapton's new CD but rather hear Jimi.

Billy Joel is ok.

It is too pop for my taste at the moment though.

I agree that Billy Joel is more likeable than Bruce Stringbean.

I can't stand that dude.

Location hidden

#10550 Mar 18, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
He might have been jealous in the early days, but he loves Elvis now and has for years.
Why else would he have agreed to to that "Class of '55" thing with Cash, Perkins and Orbison, and their tribute song to him?
I have the "Class Of 55" project on CD.

Johnny Cash admitted that Elvis was a good person.

I think when they were younger, they were jealous of Elvis.

But that is because Elvis got a lot of attention.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#10551 Mar 18, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
There was this one time that Jerry Lee showed up at Graceland in the middle of the night toasted & waving a loaded gun. Elvis had to call the police. I think he loves Elvis because Elvis is gone.
King Elvis

Dee Why, Australia

#10552 Mar 18, 2013
2kingsdaughter wrote:
<quoted text>There was this one time that Jerry Lee showed up at Graceland in the middle of the night toasted & waving a loaded gun. Elvis had to call the police. I think he loves Elvis because Elvis is gone.
You're partially correct.

Elvis wasn't home at the time (November 1976); he was on tour.

Besides, Jerry Lee just wanted to party with Elvis, he was no threat.
King Elvis

Dee Why, Australia

#10553 Mar 18, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I have the "Class Of 55" project on CD.
Johnny Cash admitted that Elvis was a good person.
I think when they were younger, they were jealous of Elvis.
But that is because Elvis got a lot of attention.
I hated that CD.

When I transferred by 13000+ songs onto my iPod, that was one of a handful of CDs I didn't do.

Location hidden

#10554 Mar 18, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
I hated that CD.
When I transferred by 13000+ songs onto my iPod, that was one of a handful of CDs I didn't do.
I bought that "Class Of 55" CD years ago as a used CD.

I didn't like it because it didn't sound like a sun recording.

It was made in the eighties and I was disappointed with it.

The Cowboy Junkies made a great tribute to Elvis though.

The song was "Blue Moon" (song for Elvis)

Anyway, I love the new Hendrix single, "Somewhere"

It sounds timeless.

I think Jerry Lee always had a professional jealousy with Elvis.

But most of those early rockers did because Elvis was so popular.

I don't think he hates Elvis but it was pure ego.

Jerry Lee's "Last Man Standing" CD was very good.

However, Elvis's 70's music is still sublime.

I like the fact that Jimi Hendrix liked Elvis's blues.

It meant that he listened and got something from it.

That always impressed me.

The 60's rock stars mostly credited Elvis as an inspiration.

I'm looking forward to "People, Hell And Angels"

It is pretty cool to see Hendrix get some deserved attention.
King Elvis

Surry Hills, Australia

#10555 Mar 18, 2013
octo wrote:
The Cowboy Junkies made a great tribute to Elvis though.
The song was "Blue Moon" (song for Elvis)
Yes, I have that on my iPod.
Lee

Los Angeles, CA

#10556 Mar 19, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Feel free to post any link or info that shows Billy Joel or Paul McCartney are jealous of Elvis.
They are both ON RECORD with how much they love Elvis, so you go right ahead and show us why your statement is true.
Or any info that shows anti-Elvis bias from the media.
Anything at all.
For one thing, they seldom say anything good about Elvis without adding something about drugs, of getting fat.

They don't do that to other stars. For instance, when talking about Beatles, they don't always go into the drugs they died, or the fact that Ringo was often overweight, etc.,

They can never mention him in a positive way and leave it at that.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#10557 Mar 19, 2013
Right on,Lee,I respectfully disagree with Octo and King Elvis on this one,and you just hit the nail on the head,Lee,whenever they talk about Elvis,it's never without mentioning drugs or Elvis being overweight at the end of his life,or taking some sort of swipe at the man,and these comments stem from jealousy of the man and his unprecedented accomplishments in the music industry,pure and simple,does anyone think that other,LESS SUCCESSFUL artists weren't jealous of Elvis Presley,there are MANY,and thats the solemn truth,peace out.
Lee

Los Angeles, CA

#10559 Mar 19, 2013
RICK wrote:
Right on,Lee,I respectfully disagree with Octo and King Elvis on this one,and you just hit the nail on the head,Lee,whenever they talk about Elvis,it's never without mentioning drugs or Elvis being overweight at the end of his life,or taking some sort of swipe at the man,and these comments stem from jealousy of the man and his unprecedented accomplishments in the music industry,pure and simple,does anyone think that other,LESS SUCCESSFUL artists weren't jealous of Elvis Presley,there are MANY,and thats the solemn truth,peace out.
I guess it is partly jealousy, but it is also because the MM, in the years after Elvis died, SWAMPED the public with so many critical stories about Elvis, fatness, drugs, women, and any innuendo or implication about any perversion that they could think of, that when people think "Elvis Presley" these are the first things that come to their minds.

Of course, in between these slimy stories, they would always sob and tell us how much they loooooooooooved him.

And these men have the public so conned about their intentions.

It 's not just them, either. Linda Thompson, the apparent favorite girlfriend of the fans. Told the entire world that Elvis was so out of it that she had to lift his face out of his food bowl. Even if this story was true, would you go in front of the entire world and say this about someone you truly loved????

Elvis had not a friend in the world. To all of them, he was and is just $$$$$$$. He must have been very lonely. He was intelligent. He must have picked up on it. He wasn't paranoid. He was right. At the last, when he realized that while he had made Priscilla so proud of him at last, by coming back BIG TIME in show business, only to find out that she was having an affair with Mike Stone all along, then to have the MM come out with their tell all book, he must have been miserable.

I don't envy the rich very much.
Lee

Los Angeles, CA

#10561 Mar 19, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Say what? Ringo Starr was never overweight. He has always been a skinny short little guy with a big snoze but not chubby.
I've seen pics of him where he looked chubby.

Location hidden

#10562 Mar 19, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I have that on my iPod.
"Blue Moon" (song for Elvis) was one of the best tribute songs.

"Walking In Memphis" "Black Velvet" and Paul Simon's "Graceland"

Songs that sincerely were written and performed out of respect.

Some tribute songs simply do not work but some rise above the norm.

I think it has to be done as the artist's own style about Elvis.

People know a cheesy, fake impersonator tribute doesn't quite jell.

The Stray Cats did "Elvis On Velvet" but it was after their peak.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Beatles Are Overrated (Jul '09) Apr 29 Greg 1,074
News You can't always get what you want, but maybe a... Apr 27 Amused Octopus 1
News Beatles Albums, Ranked Worst to Best (Jun '15) Apr 25 JJJ 2
News Paul McCartney's concert 'the heaviest show on ... Apr 24 King Prince 4
News Rihanna Rules Hot 100, Desiigner's 'Panda' Push... Apr 21 Anyplace Is Paradise 1
News Paul McCartney in Portland: As good as it gets Apr 20 Octo Is A Woodpecker 2
News Singer Nellie McKay to jazz it up at Allentown'... Apr 14 Lucy Ann 1
More from around the web