150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12863 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#9807 Jan 7, 2013
RICK wrote:
I agree with you 100 percent,Octo,Elvis's 1962 single `Kiss Me Quick'was not a favorite of mine,either,but Elvis recorded many GREAT songs during this period,also,such as `Marie's the name[his latest flame],`Are You Lonesome Tonight',`Little Sister',his great version of `Fever',his terrific version of `Memphis,Tennessee',`It Hurts Me'[which should have been the A side of the `Kissin'Cousins'single],his exquisite version of the 1945 Katy Lester record `Love Letters',and many others,but King Elvis is splitting hairs once again,Kingie,A CRITICISM IS A CRITICISM,WHEN MCFARTNEY CRITICISED ELVIS MUSICALLY,THAT'S A CRITICISM,BUT ELVIS NEVER CRITICISED ANY ARTIST,EITHER THEM OR THEIR WORK,PERIOD,but the wonderful thing in all this is that Elvis is enjoying the last laugh,much to the jealous Mccartney's chagrin,no doubt,peace out.
Paul McCartney is stuck on the 50's era Elvis.

He listened to what others were telling him and never went beyond.

That really is not Elvis's fault that Paul continues to miss out.

It is really too bad but it is his loss.

John Lennon never lived long enough to hear the Elvis bootlegs.

His opinion of Elvis would've certainly changed.

However, Elvis did acknowledge The Beatles by covering some songs.

The sixties seem to be Elvis's least favorite decade with critics.

But it was because of some of the bad soundtrack material.

Of course, it is much more complex and not all cut and dry.

You would have to take the time to listen through it.

Many great performances scattered about.

The seventies were even better but you can't force it on folks.

If you like Elvis, you can find the real him.

Elvis was the most brilliant artist that ever lived and I know it.

I don't care what an idiot might claim.

BTW, that National Enquirer magazine is horrible.

They had a photo of Shelia Ryan and billed it as being Ginger.

It had nothing about the music.

But all about Elvis's drug addiction.

It reads like a late seventies tabloid.

Location hidden

#9808 Jan 7, 2013
chris wrote:
Hey Octo & Bubba, I agree with your opinion about Paul's recent career choices. I too wish he would put out more unreleased Beatle stuff, & work with Ringo more. I also would like to see him expand & change his live playlist. Octo I took your advice & decided to check out some unreleased Beatle stuff online, plus I have bought a couple boots. Their is some incredible stuff out their, that deserves a proper release.
Let me know what you think of them, Chris.

I know you'll have fun listening to the different radical versions.

Location hidden

#9809 Jan 7, 2013
RICK wrote:
I agree with you 100 percent,Octo,Elvis's 1962 single `Kiss Me Quick'was not a favorite of mine,either,but Elvis recorded many GREAT songs during this period,also,such as `Marie's the name[his latest flame],`Are You Lonesome Tonight',`Little Sister',his great version of `Fever',his terrific version of `Memphis,Tennessee',`It Hurts Me'[which should have been the A side of the `Kissin'Cousins'single],his exquisite version of the 1945 Katy Lester record `Love Letters',and many others,but King Elvis is splitting hairs once again,Kingie,A CRITICISM IS A CRITICISM,WHEN MCFARTNEY CRITICISED ELVIS MUSICALLY,THAT'S A CRITICISM,BUT ELVIS NEVER CRITICISED ANY ARTIST,EITHER THEM OR THEIR WORK,PERIOD,but the wonderful thing in all this is that Elvis is enjoying the last laugh,much to the jealous Mccartney's chagrin,no doubt,peace out.
There are a few Elvis songs that really never grew on me, Rick.

But over all, I love 98% of his entire output, give and take a few.

Here are a few non soundtrack Elvis songs that miss to me:

"That's When Your Heartaches Begin"
"True Love"
"Blue Christmas"
"Wear My Ring Around Your Neck"
"I Got Stung"
"My Wish Came True"
"Stuck On You"
"Good Luck Charm"
"Kiss Me Quick"

I mean, I can't fault The Beatles for not liking "Kiss Me Quick"

But surely, Paul has to have heard the album, "Elvis In Memphis"

The Memphis Sessions studio outtakes from 1969 are killer.

Elvis finally catches up with The Beatles best work.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9810 Jan 7, 2013
RICK wrote:
his exquisite version of the 1945 Katy Lester record `Love Letters'
The what now?

The only 1945 version of the song was by Dick Haymes.

Ketty Lester (that's right, Dick, it's spelt Ketty, K-E-T-T-Y, not Katy) had her version of Love Letters in ... wait for it ... 1962.

I am always amused when someone who thinks they know about music (seen only through the prism of Elvis, of course!) proves they know nothing by their very own words.
RICK wrote:
but King Elvis is splitting hairs once again,Kingie,A CRITICISM IS A CRITICISM,WHEN MCFARTNEY CRITICISED ELVIS MUSICALLY,THAT'S A CRITICISM
Criticising a single is not the same as criticising the man.
You're a moron.

I see the new year has seen no change in your basic stupidity, but an increase in your inaccuracies.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9811 Jan 7, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Here are a few non soundtrack Elvis songs that miss to me:
"Blue Christmas"
"I Got Stung"
You're joking, they're two of Elvis' finest efforts.

Location hidden

#9812 Jan 7, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
You're joking, they're two of Elvis' finest efforts.
I still find both of them to be annoying.

"Blue Christmas" sound better to me when done live in the 70's.

I still can't stand "I Got Stung" even in outtake form.

His post army sessions wasn't all that great cause he was rushed.

February 1, 1958 (done before he had to report to duty in March)

June 10-11, 1958

The material was to be spread out for the next two years.

I never really liked that period, just after "King Creole"

Though I do like some of the songs.

I guess all Elvis fans have different opinions.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#9813 Jan 9, 2013
King Elvis,you're a moron,my source for that info is Peter Guralnick's `Careless Love',and I'll believe him before I'll ever believe your sorry ass,so eat me,and Octo,all Elvis fans have songs he recorded that were not ear catching,here are some of mine;`It'Now or Never',`Surrender',`Kiss Me Quick',`True Love'[from the `Loving You'soundtrack album],`Devil in Disguise'and others,but all in all,like you,Octo,I loved 98 pecent of his marvelous music,Elvis recorded more than 700 songs in his long career,they can't all be gems,but that's the same with all artists who have a large body of work,from The Beatles to Sinatra and Barbra Streisand and others,it's the law of averages,peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#9814 Jan 9, 2013
I stand corrected,King Elvis,you're right with that info on `Love Letters',just checked out page 233 of `Careless Love,my apologies to you,peace out.
Bubba

Everett, WA

#9815 Jan 9, 2013
RICK wrote:
King Elvis,you're a moron,my source for that info is Peter Guralnick's `Careless Love',and I'll believe him before I'll ever believe your sorry ass,so eat me,and Octo,all Elvis fans have songs he recorded that were not ear catching,here are some of mine;`It'Now or Never',`Surrender',`Kiss Me Quick',`True Love'[from the `Loving You'soundtrack album],`Devil in Disguise'and others,but all in all,like you,Octo,I loved 98 pecent of his marvelous music,Elvis recorded more than 700 songs in his long career,they can't all be gems,but that's the same with all artists who have a large body of work,from The Beatles to Sinatra and Barbra Streisand and others,it's the law of averages,peace out.
That's right Rick not all songs can be great hits. Elvis had many good ones and just like the Beatles and Stones some were bound to be duds but most of Elvis's and the Beatles were good songs. Nobody can get it right everytime even McCartney admitted that.He has had some lame songs as well as great tunes.

“LADYVERO R.N.”

Since: Feb 09

Chihuahua, Mexico

#9816 Jan 9, 2013
RICK wrote:
I stand corrected,King Elvis,you're right with that info on `Love Letters',just checked out page 233 of `Careless Love,my apologies to you,peace out.
Oh I love his version of Love Letters, it is so beautiful.
I read in a recent publication of the similarities of Elvis's Love Letters and John Lennon's God song.
I played them very close and found the piano to be the same, John must have heard Love Letters.
I'm not saying John copied, maybe he just was inspired.
And Run For Your Life was inspired by Baby Let's Play House.
I have a cd of John's Live in NYC, he sings Hound Dog and at the end John says Elvis I love you.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9817 Jan 9, 2013
RICK wrote:
King Elvis,you're a moron,my source for that info is Peter Guralnick's `Careless Love',and I'll believe him before I'll ever believe your sorry ass,
You fail again.

Careless Love:

Lester, Ketty: pp 233, 234:

"He wanted to do 'Love Letters'(a big R&B hit for Ketty Lester in 1962) and a pop hit for Dick Haymes two decades earlier) which is all piano."

Tell me, Dick, if you used Guralnick as your source, why do you not acknowledge that it confirms exactly what I said?

Anyone who has the book can confirm my reference above.

Don't mess with me about facts, Dick, you'll lose every time.

Epic fail, Dick.

And I do mean EPIC!

So YOU can eat ME ... DICK.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9818 Jan 9, 2013
RICK wrote:
I just read this after I posted my response.

But your apology is not accepted, you're still too much of a dick.
Patrick

New York, NY

#9819 Jan 9, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
I just read this after I posted my response.
But your apology is not accepted, you're still too much of a dick.
King elvis in your best guess what was the total viewers of aloha elvis . Has anyone caculated elvis international Run into today's dollars ?( I am trying to compare it to mj concerts for mj floons . Why was power of love not released as a single ? That song is fantastic !! Lastly has anyone shown the value of the elvis catalogue compared to other artists ? Thank you in advance
Bubba

Everett, WA

#9820 Jan 9, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
You fail again.
Careless Love:
Lester, Ketty: pp 233, 234:
"He wanted to do 'Love Letters'(a big R&B hit for Ketty Lester in 1962) and a pop hit for Dick Haymes two decades earlier) which is all piano."
Tell me, Dick, if you used Guralnick as your source, why do you not acknowledge that it confirms exactly what I said?
Anyone who has the book can confirm my reference above.
Don't mess with me about facts, Dick, you'll lose every time.
Epic fail, Dick.
And I do mean EPIC!
So YOU can eat ME ... DICK.
King this isn't the same song as Love Letters in the sand by Pat Boone is it ?
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9821 Jan 9, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>King this isn't the same song as Love Letters in the sand by Pat Boone is it ?
No, two different songs.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9822 Jan 9, 2013
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
King elvis in your best guess what was the total viewers of aloha elvis . Has anyone caculated elvis international Run into today's dollars ?( I am trying to compare it to mj concerts for mj floons . Why was power of love not released as a single ? That song is fantastic !! Lastly has anyone shown the value of the elvis catalogue compared to other artists ? Thank you in advance
Yes, a great song, there are many that should have been released but weren't.

As for Aloha viewer total, it's hard to say. Probably around 750 million or so?
Bubba

Everett, WA

#9823 Jan 9, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
No, two different songs.
Good because I don't like Pat Boone and Love Letters in the sand. He is too cornball for me. I liked early Elvis when he did Return to Sender and I liked Devil in Disguise. I'm not sure when those songs came out I was about 10 years old When I first heard Return to sender must of been about 1962 maybe. I liked Little Sister and That's alright with Momma the early rockabilly Elvis did was great.Blue suede shoes is good by both Elvis and Carl Perkins. Did Elvis ever sing Sea Cruise?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#9824 Jan 9, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, a great song, there are many that should have been released but weren't.
As for Aloha viewer total, it's hard to say. Probably around 750 million or so?
Thank you . Is it correct that elvis had the biggest selling album in 1956 and 1957?
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9825 Jan 9, 2013
Bubba wrote:
Did Elvis ever sing Sea Cruise?
Never heard of the song.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9826 Jan 9, 2013
Patricktruth wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you . Is it correct that elvis had the biggest selling album in 1956 and 1957?
No, Elvis never had a best-selling album in any year.

In the 50s, he was a singles artist.

You can find all of this information on the internet, or Elvis books.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Get over this wife-beating poseur Jun 14 Lawrence James co... 18
The Beatles 50th Anniversary (Feb '14) Jun 12 Greg 16
Why do people hate Yoko Ono? (Sep '09) Jun 11 Ralph 286
The Beatles Are Overrated (Jul '09) Jun 10 Ralph 1,071
News Beatles Albums, Ranked Worst to Best Jun 10 Ralph 1
Can my friends and I post, here? Jun 8 Moved on how bout... 12
For your eyes only Jun 6 Little monster 24
More from around the web