150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12898 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

mjj

Houston, TX

#9767 Jan 4, 2013
MJ... Awesome!
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9768 Jan 4, 2013
RICK wrote:
Well Queenie,how about in 1963,when The Beatles were on some british TV show and were rating the current hit records and one of the records was Elvis's `Kiss Me Quick',and criticized it and Paul in particular said he didn't like Elvis's current songs,THAT'S A CRITICISM,HELLOOOOO,and other McFartney criticisms over the years too numerous to mention,HELLOOOO,EPIC FAILED YA' ONCE AGAIN,KIDDO,easy to do with someone WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE HE'S TALKING ABOUT,peace out.
No, dear boy, you said the Beatles publicly criticised ELVIS, not one of his songs.

If this TV appearance is true (I'm guessing you have no idea of the title and date, so I'll further guess that it's not) the Beatles were right. Kiss Me Quick is shite, and is far beneath what Elvis was capable of.

All four of the Beatles worshipped Elvis.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9769 Jan 4, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah Ringo said he got to toss the football with Elvis.I think John and Paul got to jam with him but not sure about George. Too Bad it never got recorded. Lennon and Elvis would of sounded great together doing rockabilly.
There are three things I'd love to hear:

1. Elvis' first ever public appearance when he sang Old Shep

2. The jam session with him and The Beatles.

3. The return to Vegas, July 31st, 1969 - it is an absolute travesty RCA didn't record this first show back on stage!
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9770 Jan 4, 2013
So, yes Rick, the Beatles did appear on Juke Box Jury in 1963.

The transcript:

PAUL: "The only thing I don't like about Elvis now is the songs. You know, I love his voice. I used to love all the records like 'Blue Suede Shoes' and 'Heartbreak Hotel,' lovely. But I don't like the songs now. And Kiss Me Quick, it sounds like Blackpool on a sunny day."

RINGO: "I didn't like it at all, no."

GEORGE: "I must admit I didn't like it very much. Not at all. It's an old track. And I think, seeing as they're releasing old stuff, if they release something like 'My Baby Left Me' it'd be number one. Because Elvis is definitely still popular, it's just the song's a load of rubbish. I mean, Elvis is great. He's fine. But it's not for me."

JOHN: "Well, I think it'll be a hit because it's Elvis, like people said. But I don't think it'll be very great. I like those hats, though, with 'Kiss Me Quick' on it!"

Major difference between criticising the man and the music there, Rick the dick.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9771 Jan 4, 2013
Oh, and at the end of the show:

(Beatles vote by holding up cards. Consensus: HIT)
Patrick

Springfield, NJ

#9772 Jan 4, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
Oh, and at the end of the show:
(Beatles vote by holding up cards. Consensus: HIT)
Would know what the beatles thought of the 68 special ? Also , did they ever try to write a song for elvis ?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#9773 Jan 4, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
No, dear boy, you said the Beatles publicly criticised ELVIS, not one of his songs.
If this TV appearance is true (I'm guessing you have no idea of the title and date, so I'll further guess that it's not) the Beatles were right. Kiss Me Quick is shite, and is far beneath what Elvis was capable of.
All four of the Beatles worshipped Elvis.
I always thought it was the horrible "Kissin'Cousins" single.

The Beatles were on British television, "Juke Box Jury" in 1963?

Yes, "Kiss Me Quick" was a lesser effort and wasn't much of a song.

But there were superior Elvis singles released in 1963.

It is really too bad that The Beatles had to review that track.

I still think it was one of Elvis's weakest attempts for a hit.

I guess it was a misfire but it was trying to make something work.

Elvis had better selections they could have played then.

I assume that "Juke Box Jury" had judges voting on only singles.

Hit or miss.

Elvis's much better singles of the period:

"Devil In Disguise" b/w "Please Don't Drag That String Around"

"Bossa Nova, Baby" b/w "Witchcraft"

It is too bad The Beatles couldn't have heard "Little Sister"

Not the master but the studio outtake. Blazing, stinging rock.

You've heard it, haven't you?
Dennis Hauser

United States

#9774 Jan 4, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I always thought it was the horrible "Kissin'Cousins" single.
The Beatles were on British television, "Juke Box Jury" in 1963?
Yes, "Kiss Me Quick" was a lesser effort and wasn't much of a song.
But there were superior Elvis singles released in 1963.
It is really too bad that The Beatles had to review that track.
I still think it was one of Elvis's weakest attempts for a hit.
I guess it was a misfire but it was trying to make something work.
Elvis had better selections they could have played then.
I assume that "Juke Box Jury" had judges voting on only singles.
Hit or miss.
Elvis's much better singles of the period:
"Devil In Disguise" b/w "Please Don't Drag That String Around"
"Bossa Nova, Baby" b/w "Witchcraft"
It is too bad The Beatles couldn't have heard "Little Sister"
Not the master but the studio outtake. Blazing, stinging rock.
You've heard it, haven't you?
When Elvis mixed Little Sister and Get Back, together, now that's rock'n roll!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#9775 Jan 4, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>That must of been a pretty good vacation for you man.I'd like to see the Elvis grill .Graceland must be something to see also.
I've been to Memphis many times. I saw the pool table in 2000.

I was invited to come along with my mom and her husband.

They were having a blues festival at the time.

We saw BB King, Buddy Guy and others...

That is why my stepfather wanted to go.

Elvis was only part of the trip because I was with my parents.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9776 Jan 4, 2013
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
Would know what the beatles thought of the 68 special ? Also , did they ever try to write a song for elvis ?
I would imagine they liked it - at least the magnificent black leather stuff (the rest of the show isn't all that great).

Haven't heard of them writing a song for Elvis, but it would have been interesting had they done it.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9777 Jan 4, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I always thought it was the horrible "Kissin'Cousins" single.
The Beatles were on British television, "Juke Box Jury" in 1963?
Yes, "Kiss Me Quick" was a lesser effort and wasn't much of a song.
But there were superior Elvis singles released in 1963.
It is really too bad that The Beatles had to review that track.
I still think it was one of Elvis's weakest attempts for a hit.
I guess it was a misfire but it was trying to make something work.
Elvis had better selections they could have played then.
I assume that "Juke Box Jury" had judges voting on only singles.
Hit or miss.
Elvis's much better singles of the period:
"Devil In Disguise" b/w "Please Don't Drag That String Around"
"Bossa Nova, Baby" b/w "Witchcraft"
It is too bad The Beatles couldn't have heard "Little Sister"
Not the master but the studio outtake. Blazing, stinging rock.
You've heard it, haven't you?
Yes, pretty much anything from that period would have been better.

Kiss Me Quick, while pleasant enough, can't possibly be considered a "good" track, especially from the man who'd set the music world on fire just a few short years earlier. The song could have been done by any of the male singers at the time, and not much different to Elvis' version. It's bland. Paul McCartney was right: the voice was still there, but the material released to showcase it was lacking.

Devil In Disguise is a very good track, I'm sure The Beatles would have liked it very much.

Little Sister - I assume you mean take 9, from Essential Elvis 6?
Poppa Jivebones

Renton, WA

#9778 Jan 4, 2013
RICK wrote:
Well Queenie,how about in 1963,when The Beatles were on some british TV show and were rating the current hit records and one of the records was Elvis's `Kiss Me Quick',and criticized it and Paul in particular said he didn't like Elvis's current songs,THAT'S A CRITICISM,HELLOOOOO,and other McFartney criticisms over the years too numerous to mention,HELLOOOO,EPIC FAILED YA' ONCE AGAIN,KIDDO,easy to do with someone WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE HE'S TALKING ABOUT,peace out.
Are you trying to say that Paul McCartney doesn't have the right to not like some of Elvis's songs? Mccartney is a musical genius just ask Stevie Wonder.I think Paul has the right to be honest and say if the song sucked or not. I hate censorship it sucks.
Poppa Jivebones

Renton, WA

#9779 Jan 4, 2013
mjj wrote:
MJ... Awesome!
So you like Mick Jagger huh? MJ is pretty good for an old Rolling Stone.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#9780 Jan 4, 2013
Dennis Hauser wrote:
<quoted text>
When Elvis mixed Little Sister and Get Back, together, now that's rock'n roll!
I loved when Elvis mixed those two songs together live.

He certainly wasn't against The Beatles.

You know what bootleg that I'm talking about, right?

It was called, "Alternate Golden Hits vol 3: Little Sister Sessions"

Early takes of "Little Sister" broken down in two parts.

It is so good that the studio outtakes are like heavy rock n roll.

Blazing early punk mixed with a metal like intensity. Real cool.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#9781 Jan 4, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, pretty much anything from that period would have been better.
Kiss Me Quick, while pleasant enough, can't possibly be considered a "good" track, especially from the man who'd set the music world on fire just a few short years earlier. The song could have been done by any of the male singers at the time, and not much different to Elvis' version. It's bland. Paul McCartney was right: the voice was still there, but the material released to showcase it was lacking.
Devil In Disguise is a very good track, I'm sure The Beatles would have liked it very much.
Little Sister - I assume you mean take 9, from Essential Elvis 6?
There are still a couple of Elvis songs that I never much cared for.

"Kiss Me Quick" is one of them.

There were many stronger album tracks that could've been singles.

But Elvis's first single of 1963 was, "One Broken Heart For Sale"

I think it was just trying a mellower sixties sound for back then.

Rock was still around but radio was going for feel good pop songs.

It was just the direction it was going.

The takes of "Little Sister" are not listed but it is early takes.

Elvis working on the song and broken down on two parts.

It says the complete "Little Sister" sessions take 1 and on...

It has a bunch of other period outtakes as well like:

"I Feel So Bad"
"Gonna Get Back Home Somehow"
"His Latest Flame"

It was one of my earliest CD bootlegs.
Patrick

Ardsley, NY

#9782 Jan 4, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
I would imagine they liked it - at least the magnificent black leather stuff (the rest of the show isn't all that great).
Haven't heard of them writing a song for Elvis, but it would have been interesting had they done it.
Is there any recording of Tom jones and elvis together ?
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#9783 Jan 4, 2013
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there any recording of Tom jones and elvis together ?
Sadly, no.

They jammed together many, many times.

There are some photos, but no recording.

I'd also love to hear Elvis and Mama Cass form their 1973 jam session.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#9784 Jan 4, 2013
Poppa Jivebones wrote:
<quoted text>Are you trying to say that Paul McCartney doesn't have the right to not like some of Elvis's songs? Mccartney is a musical genius just ask Stevie Wonder.I think Paul has the right to be honest and say if the song sucked or not. I hate censorship it sucks.
And at the same time, we have the right to criticize Paul's work.

His recent live performances and his latest studio disc.

We can also be honest and give our opinions.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#9785 Jan 4, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly, no.
They jammed together many, many times.
There are some photos, but no recording.
I'd also love to hear Elvis and Mama Cass form their 1973 jam session.
There are home recordings and rehearsals that have shown up.

But none with Elvis with other celebrities.

It probably had something to do with Col Tom Parker.

He didn't allow recording when Elvis and The Beatles jammed?

When Led Zeppelin met backstage with Elvis in 1974...

They were told not to talk to Elvis about music.

Parker was an idiot. A control freak.
Patrick

Avon, CT

#9786 Jan 4, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly, no.
They jammed together many, many times.
There are some photos, but no recording.
I'd also love to hear Elvis and Mama Cass form their 1973 jam session.
I have heard conflicting stories . Did elvis meet michael jackson ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Keith Richards criticises The Beatles as a live... Jul 19 Greg 1
Dr BLT's Song Sequel to LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DI... Jul 17 Bruce 1
Blackbird lands on Bourée E minor Jul 17 Enortec the observer 3
News Bryan Adams rocks the Greek on his way to Irvine Jul 13 t adams 1
Starr is shining Jul 7 Greg 1
For your eyes only (Feb '15) May '16 Little monster 42
The Beatles Are Overrated (Jul '09) May '16 Greg 1,079
More from around the web