150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

Dec 6, 2008 | Posted by: KB50MJ | Full story: talk.livedaily.com

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Comments
9,321 - 9,340 of 12,746 Comments Last updated Yesterday
Allan

Arlington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

octo wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree but Elvis should've fired him during the British Invasion.
After a movie like 'Kissin' Cousins' the Colonel should've been gone.
Elvis did some unforgettably great music during the British Invasion,but he should have had someone promote him better during that period.
Chuck Berry's 1964 comeback came during the British Invasion, he had quite a bit of high exposure, of course his comeback was short lived, but well promoted.

There were so many great groups that came from the British Invasion, but before the Beatles opened the door, so many tried,failed and vanished.
It had to be the Beatles that opened the door, none of the other groups (great as so many were) could have done that.

Elvis opened the Rock n' Roll door in 56', he made it easier for Orbison,Holly and so many other greats to come through.
Chuck Berry and Little Richard were already making good music, Elvis helped them gain more exposure, praise and criticism included.

Today marks 24 years since Roy passed on.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Earlier than that.
First day out of the Army.
Signing Elvis up for GI Blues was the beginning of the end.
But I liked "GI Blues"

If it were the end, you sure fool me. You like Elvis's 70's stuff.

Elvis went in all directions.

The only PERIOD I dislike is some of the bad 60's soundtracks.

But I still like most of it and have listened to it for 35 years.

"Clambake" was the worst Elvis ever made.

Both in songs and on film.

"Easy Come, Easy Go" was horrible but was only an extended play.

Poor Elvis.

Lesser talent would've never survived such embarrassing material.
King Elvis

Hornsby, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

octo wrote:
<quoted text>
But I liked "GI Blues"
It was pleasant enough, yes.

But hardly on the same path his movies were taking prior to his Army days.

It was a piece of fluff, and the beginning of the movie musicals that ruined his acting career.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Allan wrote:
<quoted text>
Elvis did some unforgettably great music during the British Invasion,but he should have had someone promote him better during that period.
Chuck Berry's 1964 comeback came during the British Invasion, he had quite a bit of high exposure, of course his comeback was short lived, but well promoted.
There were so many great groups that came from the British Invasion, but before the Beatles opened the door, so many tried,failed and vanished.
It had to be the Beatles that opened the door, none of the other groups (great as so many were) could have done that.
Elvis opened the Rock n' Roll door in 56', he made it easier for Orbison,Holly and so many other greats to come through.
Chuck Berry and Little Richard were already making good music, Elvis helped them gain more exposure, praise and criticism included.
Today marks 24 years since Roy passed on.
Yes and no.

Elvis did some great songs in that era but some were embarrassing.

You would've thought Parker would've been more open to hit songs.

Elvis still did incredibly well with some slight fluff.

But by 1966, it was shameful because Elvis deserved better.

Roy Orbison was great.

He actually appeared in a 1980 rock movie, "Roadie"

Meatloaf had the staring role.

Blondie, Alice Cooper and Roy Orbison had guest roles in the film.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
It was pleasant enough, yes.
But hardly on the same path his movies were taking prior to his Army days.
It was a piece of fluff, and the beginning of the movie musicals that ruined his acting career.
It was Parker and Hal Wallis trying for family type entertainment.

Elvis still showed promise with "Wild In The Country" "Flaming Star"

The huge success of "Blue Hawaii" sealed Elvis's fate in Hollywood.

Elvis grew to hate the films.
Allan

Arlington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Right on Allan. Roy was the best voice out of all The Traveling Willburys.He had the unique voice but not the looks or charisa that Elvis had.Elvis certainly helped rock and roll become more accepted and also proved Pop stars can do movies too. The Beatles were the leaders of the British invation before them Cliff Richards was their closest to being like an Elvis Pop singer. Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry,Little Richard,and guys like Fats Domino would of still been heard eventually because America has always loved rock or at least the American youth has. We all know what became before rock so I won't go on about the Blues or Jazz. Peace Out.
Roy was not only a great vocalist but a decent person, but as you said, he didn't have the good looks as say Elvis.
Elvis was once asked who had the best vocals, he said it was Roy Orbison, but I'm sure Roy Orbison would have said Elvis Presley.
Roy's life was never easy, his first wife Claudette was killed right in front of him by an 18 wheeler, then two of his kids were killed in a housefire.
Roy was bringing groceries to his ailing mother when he had a heart-attack, he died later that day.
Roy and Buddy were decent guys, Elvis influenced them both and in fact met both of them.
Peace.
The Credit Angel Can Help

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

Please feel free to check out Justin Bieber's brand new compact disc, "Believe" on sale just in time for the holiday season. Old music is not good and makes the brain very narrow. Michael Jackson surely gave The Beatles a run for their money and his estate still owns every recording they ever recorded. It is time to acknowledge the new king, Mr Justin Bieber. He has taken steps to surpass Michael's groundbreaking recordings. It is the new generation and The Beatles have become passe. Their music sleep inducing to the point of being used to torture terrorists by the US government secret agents. It is always good to smile, dance and keep moving as folks enter into the final stages of their golden years...
Intergalactic Cat

Fall River, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

FFS, Post 9580! JB is not going to last another 3 or 4 years(the most), in the music industry. Four years is being generous(he won't last I'm psychic, btw) Did Any of the recent boy bands last? NO Did Jessica's Simpson's ex, Nick what's his face last? NO Did Justin Timberballs, woops, I meant Timberlake last? NO 99% of em don't last more than 5 years. It's the '5 year shelf life' now a days!
Hardly any musical artist/singer/band has staying power now a days, ipso facto! Boo hoo!

I'll tell you who will be famous in 2013 and has been working his butt off for the past few years, WITHOUT any help from being pumped up by the MUSIC INDUSTRY is Wednesday13, gaining over 1,000 followers a month on Twitter, just getting home from selling out concerts/being on tour and just posted THIS VIDEO, less than 48 hours ago and look at how many VIEWS, COMMENTS and LIKES is got in LESS THAN 48 HOURS. AMAZING!
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
They got the looks, talent, personality, charm, stage presence and HUMOR. PERFECT.
R&R Hall of Fame here he comes.
He(Joseph aka Wednesday13)just had to find the RIGHT band mates(combination) He got rid of some of his old ones and I think made all the right decisions, recently. The new W13 band is the best he's done. I admit it even thought he got rid of one of my friends, in the past, Eric Griffin, that was in the old W13 band, he did what he felt was best for him.

Tah tah.
Intergalactic Cat

Fall River, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

*less than 36 hours ago. If in the USA, posted 24-36 hours ago. Not bad *wiggle eyebrows*

Hi Jim, Intergalactic Clown, the other fans and Jina(my favorite hater):P :)
See ya again whenever, I decide to pop into this crazy MJ forum...
)O(
chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

The Credit Angel Can Help wrote:
Please feel free to check out Justin Bieber's brand new compact disc, "Believe" on sale just in time for the holiday season. Old music is not good and makes the brain very narrow. Michael Jackson surely gave The Beatles a run for their money and his estate still owns every recording they ever recorded. It is time to acknowledge the new king, Mr Justin Bieber. He has taken steps to surpass Michael's groundbreaking recordings. It is the new generation and The Beatles have become passe. Their music sleep inducing to the point of being used to torture terrorists by the US government secret agents. It is always good to smile, dance and keep moving as folks enter into the final stages of their golden years...
You are probably young, so you don't know any better. But, 10-20 years from now you're going to look back, & wonder what happened to Justin Bieber. At the same time, the Beatles will still be extremely popular, & you'll wonder why you dismissed them in your youth.

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Poppa Jivebones wrote:
<quoted text>Do you realize how lame your post is? The Beatles are still hugely popular maybe not for teeny boopers like yourself.Justin Beiber isn't going to last the next 45 years. In a couple of years some other goof will take his place.Michael Jackson estate doesn't own every Beatle song they recorded fool. Michael had to sell a lot of it back to Sony because he owed sony big bucks before his jive ass died.TORTURE terrorist with Beatle music I hardly think so I don't know who fed you that crap but real torture would be making them hear rap and one direction along with Justin Bieber cd's.
When was the last time The Beatles were played on radio? Nuff said. They are old and from an era where people did not smile or dance. People of color were ignored by the wealthy white recording industry in favor of hyped up white bands like The Beatles and were not promoted because they were black. Learn your disgraceful history and you will understand that Elvis and The Beatles did not make it on their talent. Michael Jackson was the first black artist ever played on MTV, the first black artist to actually upstage The Beatles by buying the rights to all of their songs. It's lame that old people like yourself remind so blind by the horrible things done to people of color in the sixties. Justin Bieber is an artist of new generation. He is doing it strictly on his vocal abilities, his musicianship, his expert production skills, his songwriting and his dancing. The Beatles are passe and it is time that people start giving Mr Bieber and One Direction credit and respect that they deserve as new legends in the modern era of excellent pop and dance club.

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

chris wrote:
<quoted text>You are probably young, so you don't know any better. But, 10-20 years from now you're going to look back, & wonder what happened to Justin Bieber. At the same time, the Beatles will still be extremely popular, & you'll wonder why you dismissed them in your youth.
I'm sure that the older generation said the same about The Beatles. Justin has what it takes to have a long career like Michael Jackson.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
When was the last time The Beatles were played on radio? Nuff said. They are old and from an era where people did not smile or dance. People of color were ignored by the wealthy white recording industry in favor of hyped up white bands like The Beatles and were not promoted because they were black. Learn your disgraceful history and you will understand that Elvis and The Beatles did not make it on their talent. Michael Jackson was the first black artist ever played on MTV, the first black artist to actually upstage The Beatles by buying the rights to all of their songs. It's lame that old people like yourself remind so blind by the horrible things done to people of color in the sixties. Justin Bieber is an artist of new generation. He is doing it strictly on his vocal abilities, his musicianship, his expert production skills, his songwriting and his dancing. The Beatles are passe and it is time that people start giving Mr Bieber and One Direction credit and respect that they deserve as new legends in the modern era of excellent pop and dance club.
Retarded kiddie sensations and boy bands are not rock n roll.

They are crap.

You are an idiot and know nothing but you think you do, fool.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

<quoted text>
There were successful black artists in the 50's and 60's, you fool.

Wacko was not the first black artist on MTV.

Elvis and The Beatles covered black music because it was good.

It was the same when black artists covered a white song.

The Rolling Stones first hit was Chuck Berry's "Come On"

Then Jimi Hendrix did Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower"

Eric Clapton and many others were doing the blues mixed with rock.

A melting pot of different styles, which was and is rock n roll.

Ray Charles won Grammy awards over Elvis in the early sixties.

Motown was exposing black artists and they were getting hits.

Learn the truth before posting your fabrications on music history.
chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Hey Credit Angel The Beatles & Elvis are played on the radio every day, thousands of times a day all around the world. They are the most successful recording artists in the history of recorded music. They each have over a billion in sales. Come back & talk to us after Beiber or One Direction reach over a billion in sales, & are famous in every corner of the world.
King Elvis

Hornsby, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Guys, I think this Bieber troll is just that, a troll.

He's just spouting his crap for the sake of it.

Best to ignore, I think.

It will soon get the message.

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

It is impossible that The Beatles or Elvis to have a billion in sales since the world's population was a lot lower in the old days and people did not have much money to buy their recordings. Those inflated figures were made up by the white racist recording industry and is just pure nonsense. Nobody is listening to them because they are old wise tales that were built on pure fabrication. Their claims on both so called artists are the results of their over active imaginations of aging. Seriously delusional.
Any nick

Denmark

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Intergalactic Cat wrote:
*less than 36 hours ago. If in the USA, posted 24-36 hours ago. Not bad *wiggle eyebrows*
Hi Jim, Intergalactic Clown, the other fans and Jina(my favorite hater):P :)
See ya again whenever, I decide to pop into this crazy MJ forum...
)O(
still enjoy George Michael - Prince - Robbie Williams's pretty solid
- just saying -
u americans - u are quite square to deal with - sorry but u really are..
Patrick

Burlington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

It is impossible that The Beatles or Elvis to have a billion in sales since the world's population was a lot lower in the old days and people did not have much money to buy their recordings. Those inflated figures were made up by the white racist recording industry and is just pure nonsense. Nobody is listening to them because they are old wise tales that were built on pure fabrication. Their claims on both so called artists are the results of their over active imaginations of aging. Seriously delusional.
Incorrect . Both elvis and the beatles are listed in the guiness 2013 book as the biggest selling acts of all time . Riaa elvis and the beatles are certified at 600 million . Stated at 1 billion . Justin bieber is elvis without the talent

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Any nick wrote:
<quoted text>
still enjoy George Michael - Prince - Robbie Williams's pretty solid
- just saying -
u americans - u are quite square to deal with - sorry but u really are..
I Love America and I love being an American !=D

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Beatles Discussions

Search the The Beatles Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The year after the Beatles met E 10 hr Little monster 132
Portraits of Beatles as Old Men Jul 27 Yerushalimey 1
mel vs. bozo (Feb '10) Jul 26 Looftess 6
Guitarist says McCartney hit 'crazy' high notes... Jul 19 Jimbo 1
Today in Rock: July 14 Jul 14 Will Dockery 1
Why do people hate Yoko Ono? (Sep '09) Jul 9 BeedleBug 281
Ringo turns 74 Jul 7 Greg 1
•••
•••