The Beatles named as group with most singles sold in UK chart history

There are 10 comments on the Metro story from Nov 6, 2012, titled The Beatles named as group with most singles sold in UK chart history. In it, Metro reports that:

The group were put in the top spot in the list put together to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Official Singles Chart, selling a grand total of 22.1million singles across their illustrious career.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Metro.

chris

United States

#1 Nov 6, 2012
Their really is no surprise here. I wonder who's #1 in the US? If it's not The Beatles, then it most likely is Elvis.
Greg

ChalkÝda, Greece

#2 Nov 6, 2012
chris wrote:
Their really is no surprise here. I wonder who's #1 in the US? If it's not The Beatles, then it most likely is Elvis.
It may be a surprise Chris to know that Mariah Carey has the first place. I am not sure, though. Hello to you. You know, I don't think that this proves anything. The Beatles still remain the most succesful artists in recording history. And the more influential, of course. Whether some like it or not.
chris

United States

#3 Nov 6, 2012
Greg wrote:
<quoted text>It may be a surprise Chris to know that Mariah Carey has the first place. I am not sure, though. Hello to you. You know, I don't think that this proves anything. The Beatles still remain the most succesful artists in recording history. And the more influential, of course. Whether some like it or not.
I knew she holds one of the records, but I'm not sure if it's total #1 hits, total top 40 hits, or total sales for singles.
Greg

ChalkÝda, Greece

#4 Nov 6, 2012
I assume that she has 21 no 1 hits and the Beatles 20? As far as who has sold more records worldwide and not especially in the USA, the answer might be Elvis, I don't know for sure. However, the Beatles come first in many categories and overshadow those preeminences.
chris

United States

#5 Nov 6, 2012
Greg wrote:
I assume that she has 21 no 1 hits and the Beatles 20? As far as who has sold more records worldwide and not especially in the USA, the answer might be Elvis, I don't know for sure. However, the Beatles come first in many categories and overshadow those preeminences.
The last worldwide sales figures I have seen are, The Beatles have 1.6 billion & Elvis with 1.3 billion. As far as #1 hits are corncerned, you're right in saying that they had 20 #1 hits in the US. They had 27 #1 hits worldwide.
Greg

ChalkÝda, Greece

#6 Nov 6, 2012
chris wrote:
<quoted text>The last worldwide sales figures I have seen are, The Beatles have 1.6 billion & Elvis with 1.3 billion. As far as #1 hits are corncerned, you're right in saying that they had 20 #1 hits in the US. They had 27 #1 hits worldwide.
Thanks Chris. I had read somewhere that Elvis was first, I didn't want to believe it, although I admire him almost as much as the Beatles.
chris

United States

#7 Nov 6, 2012
Greg wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks Chris. I had read somewhere that Elvis was first, I didn't want to believe it, although I admire him almost as much as the Beatles.
Hey you're welcome Greg, Elvis is the king. I have but respect for him.
chris

United States

#8 Nov 6, 2012
(correction} nothing but respect for him.
Bubba

Everett, WA

#9 Nov 6, 2012
I believe Elvis holds the record for USA and the Beatles hold the record for UK. Elvis is the most Popular single singer and Beatles are the most popular group.Some may disagree but facts are facts.
chris

United States

#10 Nov 7, 2012
Bubba wrote:
I believe Elvis holds the record for USA and the Beatles hold the record for UK. Elvis is the most Popular single singer and Beatles are the most popular group.Some may disagree but facts are facts.
I agree, they were both great, no need to debate it. The impact they both had on music, culture & the world around us, cannot be denied.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beatles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For your eyes only Tue Little monster 23
News Beatles, stones eclipsed by hip-hop impact Mon Ralph 2
News Get over this wife-beating poseur Mon Ralph 15
News Jackson Gallagher Training For Charity Triathlon May 13 Jailhouse Rock 4
the beatles children and grandchildren (Mar '08) May 12 Greg 18
News Who Is The Greatest Rock N Roll Band? [POLL] (Dec '12) May 10 mats sweden 11
News Comment: You can't measure the magic of the Bea... May 9 Greg 1
More from around the web