Beatles, Beach Boys, Dylan rank high in Rolling Stone's Top 500...

Full story: WTOP

It's the usual suspects at the top: The Beatles, Dylan, Springsteen. . . . Best album lists are an ongoing cottage industry in rock journalism, and Rolling Stone recently threw up a small subdivision with the ...
Comments
41 - 50 of 50 Comments Last updated Aug 3, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Zippy

United States

#44 Aug 4, 2010
mary-jo wrote:
bob dylan should have been number 1 no one can match his genius he is truly gifted. he won a pulitzer and has always spoke his mind his music is diverse an has been used to teach children in history and continues today.hes a poet,songwriter,musician,artis t and writer,he is a gift from God .what can i say he will always be #1 .
Dylan was an inspiration to the Beatles especially John Lennon.Also George recorded IF not For You on his first solo album.John wrote You've Got to hide you Love Away in a Dylan style of singing.It's too bad Bob can't sing as well as he writes.He is the best poet and song writer ever more so than Jim Morrison even.His son has a better voice .
Chuck Hays

Colcord, OK

#45 Aug 4, 2010
mary-jo wrote:
bob dylan should have been number 1 no one can match his genius he is truly gifted. he won a pulitzer and has always spoke his mind his music is diverse an has been used to teach children in history and continues today.hes a poet,songwriter,musician,artis t and writer,he is a gift from God .what can i say he will always be #1 .
Or he just wrote jibberish, that people couldn't understand, so they assumed it was deep.
Zippy

Renton, WA

#46 Aug 4, 2010
Chuck Hays wrote:
<quoted text>
Or he just wrote jibberish, that people couldn't understand, so they assumed it was deep.
I don't think so Chuck.You see JIMI Hendrix did all along the watch tower-The Byrds did Dylan-The Band honored Bob Dylan and even in The Traveling Willburys Dylan wrote good lyrics,Tweeter and the Monkey man is good.Dylan was deep but not jibberish nonsense like a lot of todays artist are doing.Even the Beach Boys were into Dylan.
AWC

Garland, TX

#47 Aug 4, 2010
Zippy wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think so Chuck.You see JIMI Hendrix did all along the watch tower-The Byrds did Dylan-The Band honored Bob Dylan and even in The Traveling Willburys Dylan wrote good lyrics,Tweeter and the Monkey man is good.Dylan was deep but not jibberish nonsense like a lot of todays artist are doing.Even the Beach Boys were into Dylan.
Flatt and Scruggs did a whole album of Dylan covers in the mid 60's, that says a lot.
Dylan,Wilson,Jagger/Richards and Lennon/McCartney were all gifted.
Zippy

Renton, WA

#48 Aug 4, 2010
AWC wrote:
<quoted text>
Flatt and Scruggs did a whole album of Dylan covers in the mid 60's, that says a lot.
Dylan,Wilson,Jagger/Richards and Lennon/McCartney were all gifted.
I never knew Flatt and Scruggs did Dylan but I have heard the Hollies even sing a Dylan song.John Hiatt is my new favorite song writer now.
Greg

Athens, Greece

#49 Aug 5, 2010
Even "Norwegian Wood" from the introduction and the narrative tone it has, is John Dylan or Bob Lennon. Dylan is not actually my cup of coffee, I admire his huge talent on writing lyrics. And it's not gibberish, neither deep all the time. The talent to make you imagine things through a lyric and the multidimensional skill he has by using a special vocabulary to pass the message to the people.
Zippy

United States

#50 Aug 5, 2010
I am not a huge Bob Dylan fan but he can write great songs and tell stories with his words.I don't like his voice but he will be remember for a long time because he is a legend.
Zippy

United States

#51 Aug 5, 2010
Remembered sorry

“Posers Beware Of My P.H.D.”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#52 Aug 3, 2013
*flushes toilet*
Phil Miglioratti

United States

#54 Aug 3, 2013
50 years from now Dylan will be studied for his prophetic messages, the Beatles for their cultural impact but the Beach Boys will be listened to for their joyous harmonics.
Some have hailed the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds the greatest pop album, Good Vibrations the greatest single, and God Only Knows the greatest song (or was it Surf'sUp?)
www.PrayForSurfBlog.blogspot.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Beach Boys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Al Jardine Says He Won't Appear at July 5 Beach... Aug 12 Jess 2
'Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular' features Be... Jun '14 Petal Power 1
The Beach Boys coming to Augusta this summer May '14 William 2
Julian Lennon Interview: New Release 'Everythin... (Oct '13) Nov '13 Jane 5
The Beach Boys, As We Stand headline High Point... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Gkwn 1
Beach Boys sound check interrupts Cleveland Fla... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Shemp 1
HOT Fair: Beach Boys headline 3-day concert ser... (Sep '12) Aug '13 buck 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000