Dangers of E-cycling revealed

Dangers of E-cycling revealed

There are 7 comments on the WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads story from Feb 2, 2009, titled Dangers of E-cycling revealed. In it, WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads reports that:

Electronic or E-cyling is a booming business, but it's mostly unregulated which creates environmental problems of toxic waste.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads.

techie

Suffolk, VA

#1 Feb 3, 2009
It looks like this is a good company that has plan in place that meets or exceeds international policies. Silicosis in related to many everyday activities, but primarily mining. All I wanted to know is that they are not direct exporting to developing countries, using cheap labor or creating toxic waste dumps. Looks to me Andy Fox just could not do a segment with a happy ending. Must have controversy! Keep doing the good work Synergy!
JoeC from Newport News

United States

#2 Feb 3, 2009
Okay - but what does it tell me as a citizen to do when I desire to toss an old TV or computer away?
Thanks.
Artie -Virginia Beach

Carrollton, VA

#3 Feb 3, 2009
I wonder what qualifies Mr Fox as an "expert" on this issue? Seems like he might have spent more time finding something wrong than learning about the process.
Inspite of the "Gotcha journalism" seems like they (Synergy) are doing something right.
Other cities offer a program for their residents and we have nothing here in Virginia Beach except when the volunteers at Earth Day help us out.
Ethan

Norfolk, VA

#4 Feb 4, 2009
Some older computers are desired by collections! Vintage computer workstations have a place out there with collections. Atari, Commodore, TRS-80, Apple I and Apple II systems... there are people that are interested in them from a collector standpoint. Before you throw it away, offer it for free on a site like craigslist.org or hrgeeks.com (Hampton Roads Geeks). Also I'm sure there are plenty of low income families that wouldn't mind a Pentium III computer.
Theytookmyjob

Norfolk, VA

#5 Feb 4, 2009
Andy Fox is a crappy reporter....
K McFarlane

Yorktown, VA

#6 Feb 8, 2009
We hear a lot about the problems in disposing of broken or obsolete electronic equipment. Yet there is no real solution. The patchwork of occasional collection events across Hampton Roads means that people who want to be responsible have to store these items for months. Only on a certain day and time is it possible to get rid of them. Miss that day and it may be six months or a year till another event comes around, if ever.

A real solution would be a central site where items could be dropped off any time. Each county, city, or township could have a collection site, with a central consolidation site, where items would accumulate till there was enough for a recycler to pick up.
Dave Dibean

Roanoke, VA

#7 Feb 14, 2009
We tired to give Andy a great story and show that Hampton Roads e-waste was being handled properly. I assume it is impossible to report good news in Hampton Roads. Synergy Recycling currently has two drop off locations for business and residential e-waste. We are expanding our services in HR and hope to have many more locations soon. We are an ISO certified recycler, I guess Andy missed the fact that international experts give us a passing grade every year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Synergy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Synergy have just Got to Dance (Feb '11) Feb '11 Dan 2
News Wal-Mart to recycle electronics (Jul '08) Jul '08 Canada 1
News 2007 Altima Hybrid is Nissan's first gasoline-e... (Jun '08) Jun '08 test 2
News Chicago Auto Show: 2008 Toyota Highlander (Feb '07) Mar '07 con_tiki 5
Synergy (Oct '06) Oct '06 Ramon Gomez 1
More from around the web