Grand Ole Opry singer claims age disc...

Grand Ole Opry singer claims age discrimination by show

There are 16 comments on the The Associated Press story from Jan 11, 2007, titled Grand Ole Opry singer claims age discrimination by show . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

Grand Ole Opry singer Stonewall Jackson filed a $10 million federal lawsuit Thursday against the long-running country music show and its management, claiming age discrimination, breach of contract and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

Bob

AOL

#1 Feb 3, 2007
It's about time Gaylord was exposed for what they're trying to do -- country music is just about dead thanks to them. All the great country stars must be rolling in their graves, including Minnie Pearl who talked Ed Gaylord into buying the Opry. Wolf in sheep's clothing !!
Marilyn

United States

#2 Feb 4, 2007
It's amazing to me that the stars (old and new) have "anything" to complain about!. The amount of money that they make during the height of their career should be enough to last a lifetime! If they would use their common sense and use their money wisely then they should have enough money to carry them through even when their popularity dies down. Which is what normal people have to do each and every day! Also, I completely agree with the Grand Ole Opry. People want to see what is popular and fresh.. especially if they are spending their "hard earned" money to get in to see the shows. It is better "business" to go with what is in "popular demand".
Jack Karling

Mishawaka, IN

#3 Feb 11, 2007
I think its time for Pete Fisher to say goodbye to Nashville.
Lucy Gray

Nashville, TN

#4 Feb 11, 2007
Marilyn wrote:
It's amazing to me that the stars (old and new) have "anything" to complain about!. The amount of money that they make during the height of their career should be enough to last a lifetime! If they would use their common sense and use their money wisely then they should have enough money to carry them through even when their popularity dies down. Which is what normal people have to do each and every day! Also, I completely agree with the Grand Ole Opry. People want to see what is popular and fresh.. especially if they are spending their "hard earned" money to get in to see the shows. It is better "business" to go with what is in "popular demand".
They might make good money but it sure does cost a lot to rent buses and pay band people not counting the costs on the road. PLUS, lets not forget Uncle Sam who gets a lot of Tax money, and the taxes paid on the road expense. The people go to the Opry no matter who is on! It is always full for the old ones, too. AND, the popular demand as you put it, have been playing on the Opry for quite a long time and believe it or not, they like the old ones just as much as the new.I was pretty much raised on the backstage as my father played on the Opry until he passed away.
Johnny Head in NC

Norwalk, CT

#5 Jun 18, 2007
I'm sorry that people can't see that the Opry was founded on traditional country music. I know that everybody has their own opinon, but I think when they moved over to the new opry house that's when things started going down hill. I'm only 47, but if it were not for people like Stonewall Jackson, Porter Wagoner,George Jones just to name a couple there would be no County Music. I'm not saying that there is not some good musisc out there today. But you have to go back to the roots and see where you come from. That's my opinon and I'm sticking to it.
Johnny Head N.C.
Sad but true

United States

#6 Jun 18, 2007
Things change. I go back to the time when there were not slot music stations and music was pop didn't matter you would here a big band number, folk, rock-n-roll or country. And that was on most all radio stations but at that time there were fewer stations no FM. If you didn't care for a genre it was OK the next song might be your favorite. That all changed in the sixties and "my generation" our parents didn't want to listen to our music nor us to theirs.
It's all corporate run now and corporations are entities not people their only concern is the bottom line. I may morn the lost but I understand the logic.
John in Chicago
Johnny Head in NC

Norwalk, CT

#7 Jun 18, 2007
Your thoughts are true, but I still say that the old timers still set the standards for Country music. Some of the new acts don't even last long enough for you to remember them by name. It's all about the money now and not the good old C&W Music.
Trying to be a lady

Chillicothe, OH

#8 Jun 18, 2007
There will never be another George Jones. It's a shame that the very people who made the Opry the Opry are now cast aside! If the country rockers want to make music, let them build their own building. The Grand Ole Opry is for country music! Keep it low to the ground boys.
Johnny Head in NC

Norwalk, CT

#9 Jun 19, 2007
Thank you. I agree.
Worried In Chicago

Crystal Lake, IL

#10 Aug 12, 2007
That's what happens when you are in the hands of a corporate. If they want to tear down the theme park, they will. If they want to shorten the Opry a half hour, they will. If they want to raise ticket prices every year, they will. If they want to kick out the old people, they will. Finally, if they want even change the name to The Grand New Country Rock Jubilee, they will.
a miley fan

Atlanta, GA

#11 Aug 12, 2007
I LIKE CHOCOLATE MILK
Danny NC

AOL

#12 Jan 13, 2008
I think we need to get back to the real music.When I look at the opry now I think it is a disgrace to tne name Grand Ole Opry. The performers get on stage with holes in there pants and their hats turned around backwards and there is no class to your so called country artist anymore. We have let country die and nobody is trying to do anything about it. It is ashame when you go to the opry and there is no little Jimmy Dickens or Merle Haggard or George Jones and Stonewalls. What is the opry without COUNTRY MUSIC.This is my opion and I will stand my ground. I still think what we see is a disgrace to the Gene Watsons and the Haggards and all the legends that made the opry what it is today and now they are killing it with todays Rockin Roll. Keep our Steel guitars and fiddles in the country and a little less screaming distortated guitars.Let the music have meaning and some feeling.Use more than three words in a whole song.Lets hear more ballads. IN OTHER WORDS SING COUNTRY and let the OPRY live again
Anna in Arkansas

United States

#13 Jul 13, 2009
e
Danny NC wrote:
I think we need to get back to the real music.When I look at the opry now I think it is a disgrace to tne name Grand Ole Opry. The performers get on stage with holes in there pants and their hats turned around backwards and there is no class to your so called country artist anymore. We have let country die and nobody is trying to do anything about it. It is ashame when you go to the opry and there is no little Jimmy Dickens or Merle Haggard or George Jones and Stonewalls. What is the opry without COUNTRY MUSIC.This is my opion and I will stand my ground. I still think what we see is a disgrace to the Gene Watsons and the Haggards and all the legends that made the opry what it is today and now they are killing it with todays Rockin Roll. Keep our Steel guitars and fiddles in the country and a little less screaming distortated guitars.Let the music have meaning and some feeling.Use more than three words in a whole song.Lets hear more ballads. IN OTHER WORDS SING COUNTRY and let the OPRY live again
thanks Danny ,Johnny , Lucy and Lady everything ya'll have said is right on the money. Bring back real country music! We still love the true opry!!
dave johnson

Pryor, OK

#14 May 10, 2010
country music is dead as far as i am concern. the the stars have no clue about what they are singing about and they don't care. hey alan jackson was the last singer to come out with heart and sole,geoge strait and guys like jones and pride come on nashvile get your head straight,
wally

Winchester, IN

#15 Aug 16, 2010
Trying to be a lady wrote:
There will never be another George Jones. It's a shame that the very people who made the Opry the Opry are now cast aside! If the country rockers want to make music, let them build their own building. The Grand Ole Opry is for country music! Keep it low to the ground boys.
well said i aggree and theres more folks who love real country music then todays so called pop country . give me george jones , charlie pride , and ray price anyday
James Fox

Sheffield, UK

#16 Dec 19, 2010
full of shit, the lot of you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stonewall Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Robert E. Lee: Remembering An American Legend (Jan '11) Jan '12 FACE the FACTS 263
News Collector donates historic rifles, pistols to V... (Sep '10) Sep '10 beentheredonethat 1
News Older country stars feel slighted at Grand Ole ... (Mar '07) May '09 Casey James Putnam 17
News Would a newly named holiday be as reverent? (Jan '09) Feb '09 Communist Clam 19
News Remembering Robert E. Lee's 202nd Birthday (Jan '09) Jan '09 bappie 14
News Praise For Lee And Jackson (Jan '09) Jan '09 Libbo_Whacker 32
News Stonewall Jackson, Grand Ole Opry settle lawsuit (Nov '08) Nov '08 Georgia Cherokee 1
More from around the web